As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Outdated On] TF2 Thread: The Lockening.

1575859606163»

• Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Gee, I guess I could compile demo after demo to prove my point, but I think anybody with half a brain can agree that while blocking a point cap is generally somewhat helpful it's not always the most beneficial thing a player should be doing...and thus giving a player the incentive to rush to the point just to get one more DING! towards their achievement, rather than the incentive to assess the situation and figure out what the actual best course of action might be, is less then optimal.

You're talking like we're all Deep Blue, calculating every possible outcome and choosing the most favourable action. Sometimes running onto the point is the best someone can come up with at the time. Sometimes we do stupid things. Sometimes I keep running towards a heavy, even though he obviously knows I'm a spy.

I don't even get an achievement for that, either.

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I really hope the patches for this start coming soon, and we don't have to wait 5 weeks like the backburner nerf.

i figure they gotta give it a couple weeks to compile stats and decide how they're gonna approach it.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Exin wrote: »
    Gee, I guess I could compile demo after demo to prove my point, but I think anybody with half a brain can agree that while blocking a point cap is generally somewhat helpful it's not always the most beneficial thing a player should be doing...and thus giving a player the incentive to rush to the point just to get one more DING! towards their achievement, rather than the incentive to assess the situation and figure out what the actual best course of action might be, is less then optimal.

You're talking like we're all Deep Blue, calculating every possible outcome and choosing the most favourable action. Sometimes running onto the point is the best someone can come up with at the time. Sometimes we do stupid things. Sometimes I keep running towards a heavy, even though he obviously knows I'm a spy.

I don't even get an achievement for that, either.

Yet.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    JJ wrote: »
    Is Handsome Costanza on a boat?

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    you know, i haven't had it happen yet but i think sandman+arena is going to make for serious hatred. losing control of my character in a regular game is no huge deal, but getting stunned then dying in a game where there are no respawns and sit-out times if my team loses...that's just no good at all.

i'm certain 37 people have already said this, but i don't care.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

yes

tofu on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    And frankly, tying achievements to unlocks is dumb and completely ruins the dynamic of the game for days after the update. I mean, it's been over a week now and PA servers still have half scoot teams.

No, it doesn't and no they don't

Last three or four times I've played have had even teams in terms of classes.
    It's the unlocker the ruins the dynamic, because you got people with all 3 in hour 1, and people just grinding to try and get these unlocks so they can catch up
    But hey, completely ignore my post and keep making the same points, that's cool, not like I expected any decent debate from the Penny Arcade forums

What do you mean by this? The folks that frequent these forums are as level headed and rational thinking as hahahahahahhaha I almost typed all that with a straight face.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

FUCK YEAH

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

FUCK YEAH
    ?

You guys were doing so well, and now on like the last page I'm reading a thread about TF2 and I have no idea what you're talking about.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    shutup

we don't do well

we do good

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I play TF2 for fun, not for achievements.

I could strawman this whole debate pretty easy too if I wanted
    Actually, come to think of it, incentivizing the achievements with unlockable content is a pretty strong argument for Valve wanting people to play for achievements.

However, what's funniest of all is that you think people farm and grind achievements to catch up to people who used the unlocker. It's very humorous to me that you actually believe this.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    shutup

we don't do well

we do [strike]good[/strike] dustbowl

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    This sure makes for exciting and entertaining reading.

edit: by the way, what is it with people being unable to argue about the acheivements without drawing absolutely terrible analogies? Like some are really quite inventively bad.
    I still think the best was my (borrowed/adapted) free pepperoni-pizza-with-mushrooms-you-can-pick-off-or-can't-you? analogy.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Guys guys guys guys...

Tuftoo!

Who else thinks the Flaregun is the new Kritzkrieg?

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No one.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey guys, I was playing TF2 last night and a soldier killed me with his shovel.

Isn't that zany and on-topic?

(plz stay on topic)

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I was actually getting kills and shit though last time I played with it. :(

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Guys guys guys guys...

Tuftoo!

Who else thinks the Flaregun is the new Kritzkrieg?

Maybe the Kritzkrieg when it was released.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii sorry folks i was catchin' up

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Guys guys guys guys...

Tuftoo!

Who else thinks the Sandman is the new Death Wish 5?

dw5box4cn1mc91dk8.jpg

donhonk on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And now the final page in the worst thread of history.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You'd like to think that, but being as you said that it cannot come to pass.

JJ on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This thread has been awful. Let's not make the next thread awful.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    you ask for the impossible

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    have you seen the people that post in these threads?

they may play tuftoo well; but.. man... i'm a terrible poster

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    AyeJayeAyeJaye Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    inb4 teh lock lololol

AyeJaye on
    delicious.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    AyeJaye wrote: »
    inb4 teh lock lololol

moron

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Look who is talking

now

III

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No, we have to make it to 102 before lock!

My idea of weapon unlocks is the best. I should get some kind of shiny medal for suggesting it.

JJ on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man these threads go fast.

Fuga on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And frankly, tying achievements to unlocks is dumb and completely ruins the dynamic of the game for days after the update. I mean, it's been over a week now and PA servers still have half scoot teams.

No, it doesn't and no they don't

Last three or four times I've played have had even teams in terms of classes.
    It's the unlocker the ruins the dynamic, because you got people with all 3 in hour 1, and people just grinding to try and get these unlocks so they can catch up
    But hey, completely ignore my post and keep making the same points, that's cool, not like I expected any decent debate from the Penny Arcade forums

But you ignore the fact that there are two ways to fix this, and that for whatever reason the method Valve has chosen doesn't seem terribly popular.

Also Goose I'm still curious what your take is on farming, and if you've ever done it.

EDIT: And I get the feeling the enforcement on the unlocker is somewhat erratic because it's not terribly easy to enforce. It's probably pretty difficult to tell the difference between somebody using the per-achievement unlocker and somebody just getting them legit, unless they do shit like just unlock the milestones. Even then, you don't know that that person didn't farm the achievement, then re-lock the achievements so they could get them again for fun...and punishing people for locking achievements will go over real well.

I have said it before and I will say it again: Its still not a preferable method, but its definitely better than the unlocker, there's no comparison. You're playing a game on a custom map, its just the goal is to get the achievements not win the map. I've only ever used it twice. Once to get the Ubersaw and once to get the KGB. I've never said I was perfect, and I can see why people don't like farming either, and I still wouldn't call it 100% legit, but its definitely not as bad as unlocking via external software.

Goose! on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2009
    why is there off topic talk in this thread

STILL

WHY IS THAT

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.