As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Final Fantasy VII! A Tale of Revenge, Redemption, and Ridiculosity

• Options
    SideshowxelaSideshowxela Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If I had to bet, I'd guess he's playing the PSX version via means we can't discuss here.

Oh, my mistake. Carry on.

Sideshowxela on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Part 18: Temple of Douchebaggery

181el.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘That is… a bridge. This is going to be a long day…

…Ooh, hey I think I see some tasty looking mushrooms...’

182is.jpg

No, numbnuts, Tseng the Spanish soap star.

183pe.jpg

He looks in bad shape, and is giving us the keystone back like 20 minutes after we lost it. So Not A Spy pretty much outed himself for nothing. Sweet. Meanwhile, Mary is actually crying over this.

184th.jpg

aerishead.jpg ‘He’d call me Hairy Mary because I was the only kid in first grade with a moustache… *sniff* So many memories.’

Dr. Acula checks his watch and silently wonders how long this is going to take. So many “appointments” to keep and all.

185g.jpg

After dodging a bunch of huge rocks that look like half-eaten donuts, we come upon this. Full of knowledge she says, but honestly I think it looks like it’s full of the slime from Ghostbusters 2. Apparently it doubles as the oldest 3-D projector in history.

186qg.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Hey it’s Tseng. This must be his Spanish soap, Abrigo Pollos En Mis Pantalones.. Weird bloom effect and all. Thank god for subtitles.’

187ty.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Oh man, this is going to get hot. Dr. Acula, pass the popcorn.’

188x.jpg

sephirothhead.jpg ‘Lolz hay guys!’

cloudhead.jpg ‘HOLY WHAT THE FUCK….

…I just spilled my soda all over my crotch…

…Did I have a soda?’

189r.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘…Suddenly this got epically gay.’

1810y.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Wait a sec, this is a rerun. I fucking hate reruns.’

1811e.jpg

After one of the most frustrating puzzles in the game, we’re finally face to face with this dick again. What nonsense is his God complex spout today?

1812t.jpg
    1813.jpg
    1814y.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Uh huh uh huh… I feel funny… Oh god, I don’t think I should have eaten those mushrooms.’

1815l.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Whaaaaat the fuck is goin’ on here. I am freaking out.’

1816d.jpg
    1817f.jpg

To sum it up, his intent is to injure the planet enough to where it’ll be forced to heal itself with a shitload of spirit energy, and he’ll intercept it essentially becoming God. To do this, he plans on using Black Materia to call a very devastating magic.

1818d.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘1-800-A-METEOR for all your planet fucking needs! Ha ha ha!’

1819ob.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Squall? My name… is Frederick Picklemier!’

1820q.jpg
    1821d.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Picklemier doesn’t like this!’

1822q.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘DELAY THE KUMQUAT FEAST, FOR WE MUST ENGAGE IN FISTICUFFS.’

Yes, anyways, this is Red Dragon. He hurts a little I guess and I’ve already forgotten what he did, so who cares anyways?

1823x.jpg

aerishead.jpg ‘“Made in China”... It’s a damn import. We got screwed.’

1824p.jpg

aerishead.jpg ‘Oh wait, actually it says Black Materia. I’m a bit dyslexic.’

1825i.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘SHAKE AND BAKE!’

This action causes the whole temple to rumble. The baking portion is therefore skipped entirely.

1826z.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘…God, I have a headache... What happened? What the hell are we talking about?’

1827r.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Alright, listen listen listen... First off: Shut up. Secondly: …Give me about… three hours to get over this. Then we’ll devise a strategy which results in you staying behind to get crushed.’

1828g.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘What the toast… how long has this thing been on? This is going to cost me a fortune. My plan doesn’t cover Ancient Temple roaming.’

1829.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘No. Instead how about I used your stuffed body for the future of Coke smuggling?’

1830e.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘As tempting as you being pulverized into a fine powder is, why the fuck would I believe anything you say?’

1831r.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Oh, well since you said please…. NO. Now please kindly die in a goddamn fire.’

1832q.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘And you sure are retarded for thinking I’d ever want anything to do with you ever again.’

Unfortunately, you just get the previous choice box over and over until you agree. I don’t know why they give you choices for things you can’t change. It’s like the developers were sitting in a room and realized this was still an RPG and they had to give the illusion of choice every hundred lines or so, despite it meaning fuck all.

1833i.jpg
    1834t.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Oh no, I’m not falling for that again. The second I turn, it’s going to be tampon tag and in that game I always lose. Now let’s get the hell-

HOLY FRIED JESUS.’

1835w.jpg

This is Demon Gate, or so I think. I forgot to turn on the bar that shows his name because he died so fucking fast that he never even got an attack off. That shot is a result of my brand new Bahamut materia.

1836s.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Have fun catching death.’

1837m.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘What is wrong with you, woman? You’re acting like he’s already a hero. Did you forget the whole capturing Marlene shit? You do realize that by association they have your mother too. But fine, I’ll say something.

Not A Spy… Thanks for forcing your way onto our team, being completely useless, stealing our important items, and kidnapping our friends. You’re one swell mother fucker. Now please hurry to your ultimate demise.’

1838.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘GOD, I AM GOING TO FLAY YOU. THERE’S NO TIME FOR THIS.

Fine, read a fortune. How about, will we succeed in stopping Sephiroth?’

1839k.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Better idea. Let’s see how compatible my foot is with your ass.’

1840w.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Wh.. What? That doesn’t MAKE SENSE. Am I in Hell? Are dates with Mary the currency in Hell?’

1841.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘I’m satisfied with this result, mainly because you can’t predict anything for shit.’

1842s.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Any future without you is going to be great.’

1843.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Yeah, except I didn’t. Worst case scenario is we send you in there and nothing happens. At least then we can just leave you behind, so it’s pretty win-win right now. Now gooooooooooooooooooooooo.’

1844.jpg

Really nice how he can just walk in the goddamn back door and skip the bullshit Escher-esque room and all the puzzles we had to go through.

1845.jpg

Karma’s a bitch, isn’t it?

1846.jpg

So the whole temple seems to implode Poltergeist-style. Huzzah, Not A Spy is gone! And we have the Black Materia! Things are coming up Squall!

1847.jpg
    1848.jpg
    1849.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Oh, well uh… shit.’

1850.jpg
    1851.jpg

sephirothhead.jpg ‘Play dead! Now roll over! Thatta boy.’

The real crazy is starting, now. In addition to Squall’s weirdness in the temple, he sort of collapses here due to a massive headache or something. You’re then given control of some transparent mini-Squall for no real reason.

1852.jpg

Well there goes all our work. This is just spectacular.

1853.jpg

Sounds like a line from a retarded pop song. Dr. Acula proceeds to run back and forth on that ledge uselessly. It was if he wanted to just give the impression that he was trying to help but in reality didn’t give a crap.

1854.jpg

Wow, except it is. He just handed the materia to Sephiroth.

1855b.jpg

Squall rages again, Mini-Squall control is returned and he literally begins to start slapping Mary silly. It’s pretty satisfying. We’re then presented with Dr. Acula’s one “line” throughout this whole update. I think I’m booting him from my party for being so damn boring.

1856.jpg

AAAAAAGH. That whole scene with Not A Spy sacrificing himself already had little dramatic effect seeing that he’s only a remote controlled toy. The effect is now totally nullified when we get a new one two fucking seconds later.

1857.jpg

Dr. Acula finally jumps into the pit and does something to Squall which makes him pass out. I like to personally think he allowed Squall to beat on Mary a bit since we all know she had it coming.

1858a.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘No.

…Wait, fuck.’

1859l.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘No. That’s retarded. I wouldn’t let you handle putting in new coffee filters.’

1860d.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Bit fucking late for that, don’t you think?’

1861u.jpg
    1862s.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Alright well… Thanks for telling us sooner. What the hell were we, then? Your cheerleaders?’

1863k.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Get outta my head, Charles!’

1864w.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Excellent. Let us celebrate with sex. Loaf, get out of here… and send Jailbait in.’

1865j.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Or we could not go, which would rock. If anything, I feel sorry for Sephiroth.’

1866o.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘There’s also that.’

1867j.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘:(, Loaf, :(

1868h.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Except for that time we jumped off a moving train, right? Perhaps you should think of better metaphors.’

1869v.jpg
    1870q.jpg

I forsee Loaf’s next career direction as “Motivational Speaker.”

1871q.jpg

Because the truth is he’s right and you’re a jackass. No one likes finding out they’re a douchebag, but I think you need to face the facts.

1872s.jpg
    1873.jpg

See? I’m feeling quite motivated already!

1874g.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Fine, but only because a smack upside the head by a huge steel arm would probably put me in a coma… and if that happens I could totally miss out on Jailbait in her prime.’

Next time on Final Fantasy VII: All the Ancients and whores will look up and shout “Save us!” and I’ll look down and whisper… “No.”

Adus on
  • Options
    RucioRucio Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hooray for the update!

Yeah, Vincent, awesome as his limit breaks are, is really boring out of battle. I vote Cid/Yuffie.

Rucio on
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's funny how easy of a time you had with the wall boss. I remember my friend, who had skipped Wutai, actually got stuck there because he was so severely underleveled and wasn't able to go back into the main Temple area to grind on random battles.

cheez on
  • Options
    ChipsNQuesoChipsNQueso Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I remember my first play through I got stuck at the wall boss and ended up way underleveled there. Took me FOREVER to beat that guy.
    I know what you mean about Vincent. He's so cool too have (and has the best deathblow animation), but doesn't really say much during the story.

ChipsNQueso on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm fairly sure I'm way overleveled at this point. I did it on purpose so I didn't get stuck in ways you mentioned. Granted, I didn't expect to kill him before he hit me, but I didn't want to ever delay an update and feel like a retard because I suck. I went into the battle with Squall having Meteorain ready, then Bahamut did pretty major damage right after.

And the new party is Jailbait and Banana. Banana is the new caster thanks to his weapons with a ton of materia slots. Jailbait is kinda weak, but I kept her for good reason.

Adus on
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That was my party for the rest of the game after the Temple. :^:

cheez on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm pretty sure that's also the team I used in endgame.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I always popped Barret/Tifa in for Yuffie due to her weaksauce level 4 limit break that maxes out at 9999. But it doesn't matter. This is probably the easiest Final Fantasy ever, I've just concluded. I can't think of a section of this game that gives me half the grief that the last dungeon in 4/6 does. Or makes me want to stab myself in the neck like Pharos did in 12.

Regardless. That was a fine update of a fine LP.

"You can use my stuffed body for the future of the planet." Is probably the funniest line I've seen in a while. Doesn't matter why; it just is.

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Adus wrote: »
    Jailbait is kinda weak, but I kept her for good reason.

:winky:

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Tylerbroor wrote: »
    I always popped Barret/Tifa in for Yuffie due to her weaksauce level 4 limit break that maxes out at 9999.

Which is exactly why you leave her on level 3 limits, and use Doom Of The Living - 15 hits at ~65% normal damage, plus your limit gauge charges faster.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Adus, this is brilliant. Keep it up.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I always kept Fury on my characters by using a Hyper. This made their Limit Break bar charge much faster, but the side effect is that they missed their attack like 5% of the time. Still, I enjoyed getting my level 3 limit breaks before the Temple of the Ancients.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    RucioRucio Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Are you trying to keep Jailbait leveled up so you can show us the tournament in Wutai where you get levaiathan?

Or is it just easier to make jokes about her?

Also, regarding the Demon Gate, you actually can grind in the black materia puzzle room. I know. I had to do that on my first playthrough. The Demon Gate was the hardest boss I fought up to that point.

Rucio on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think I had level 4 limit breaks for demon gate and I still had problems, that thing is just evil.

Zell on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Rucio wrote: »
    Are you trying to keep Jailbait leveled up so you can show us the tournament in Wutai where you get levaiathan?

Or is it just easier to make jokes about her?

Uh, both really. She also has better lines. I actually tried the pagoda right after the Wutai section and I got owned but I'll want to get back to it.

Adus on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is absolutely hilarious. Once you hit disc three though, you'll basically be seriously retelling the story for me as my disc three was\is corrupt and I could never get another copy of the damned game to replace it.

So, it'd be appreciated if you'd still keep in the plot and not let it all just become hilarious captions at around that area. I know you're not intending to, just informing you that at least one of your readers hasn't gotten that far for legitimate reasons.

The spoiler tag system you're using is working a treat btw. ^.^

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yes, my intent is to try and keep the story as intact as possible. I can't promise I'll explain it well, but I'll do my best.

I hope you didn't get your hopes up for this one. What commentary would really do such an important scene in gaming history justice? Not mine, certainly. But we must press on.

Part 19: The Return of Picklemier

191m.jpg

And what says the peaceful serenity of nature like a jet crashed into a giant dinosaur skull?

192jo.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘I’ll put my money on at least one of them being all right.’

This Bone Village place is a bit weird. These excavators dig around these same spots forever. You’d think they’d change sites but no. They also inform you that in order to pass through the Sleeping Forest ahead (which was where Mary spoke to Squall in his dream), you need a Lunar Harp to wake it up. Apparently these harps just sort of grow in the ground or something because you have to excavate one. Not only that, but there are obviously multiples since they state Mary used one, too.

We make it through and get to the Forgotten City, which the excavators told us it was called. If they didn’t forget about it, why is it forgotten? I always liked this area. The music is tranquil, yet eerie, and it shows a very strange society that the Ancients once may have lived in. A society that’s basically one big The Little Mermaid theme party…

193.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Only two. That’s a shame. Guess we’ll have to share one, JB. Just so you know, I can’t sleep in itchy clothing. Or in any direct vicinity to itchy clothing. So you’ll have to remove yours.’

194l.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Calm down, Squall buddy. Happens to a lotta guys… She’ll understand.

Fuck it; I’d rather make an excuse.’

195.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘I know this because I am psychic.’

196r.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Doesn’t matter. He’s a dick. Joe from SOLDIER got married, right? He didn't invite Sephiroth to the wedding, but he showed up anyway and ate the whole cake. Yeah.

He also murdered half the guests but Joe didn’t seem as phased by that. In-laws, I guess. But man, the cake…’

197.jpg
    198.jpg

Sited in the Forgotten City, enjoy the comfort of privacy, security and luxury this grand residence offers. Only accessible by Lunar Harps, which take three days of excavation, so you rarely have to worry about those pesky salesmen or Jenova’s Witnesses! Features no bedroom or bathroom; however it boasts a spectacular outdoor pool and grand, majestic city underneath!

199r.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Yes, I did have more of the mushrooms, but don’t worry, I’ll be fine. I think I’m building up immunity!’

While Banana stares off into space, Squall heads across the hardest section of this update: Those fucking blocks which constantly make you jump backwards for no fucking reason and AGH FUCK THEM.

1910.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Uggh, maybe not immune as I thought…’

1911.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Hidey-ho, Lady! It is I, Frederick! Would you like to play a game? It is called “Catch My Sword with Your Skull.”’

1912.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘I will take your complete lack of response as a yes! Joyous day! Prepare your cranium!’

1913y.jpg

AGH, BANANA, FUCK OFF.

cloudhead.jpg ‘Ugh… Did I black out again…? Whoa, what the tater-tots am I doing?’

1914.jpg

God, look at that hair. The horror… The horror…

1915.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Oh you’re awake. I bet you’re wondering why I had my sword inches away from your face. Funny story, really…

Uh, there was a bee. Really big one. The Lord of the Bees.’

1916i.jpg

The moment we’ve all been waiting for. Let us pause the commentary for a moment and observe…

1917.jpg
    1918.jpg
    1919.jpg
    1920o.jpg
    1921.jpg
    1922j.jpg
    1923.jpg

Materia! Jessie Materia! Quick, catch it!

1924.jpg

Fuck! Now we’ll have to call maintenance.

1925.jpg

It can. It is. And we’re now presented by a completely out-of-character moment for Squall, given what we’ve seen in the rest of the game. But there it is. The plot twist that shocked the gaming world for years to come. Whether or not you were happy or sad at this moment, chances are you were at least surprised.

Honestly I think I was sadder this time than I was back when I first played it since it's no longer surprise. You know what happens, you know she's not coming back. I think a big part of it is the music. It's probably one of my all-time favorite pieces of game music, which not getting to hear any of it is probably my only regret in doing this as a screenshot LP.

1926.jpg
    1927.jpg
    1928.jpg

Seriously. Sephiroth has been quite the chatty-cathy lately.

1929.jpg
    1930.jpg

Why can’t you just accept the good when it happens to you? This is why we can’t have nice things.

1931.jpg

Well what the hell did you expect? She’s bleeding all over you. Viruses and bacteria are having sex in your veins. One big sickly orgy.

1932.jpg

I mean, really now. Squall has had the personality of a lamp post until this moment. After their initial meeting in Midgar, there’s no real progression of the Mary and Squall relationship. Even on the date he acts like he’s a million miles away. She literally had to push him out the door and drag him around. Not saying he had to love her in order to be upset, but as it is, it’s somewhat of an overdramatic reaction.

Obviously this has been said many times over the years, but what exactly is stopping them from using phoenix downs or Life magic here? The main argument is that “0 hp in battle is being knocked out, not dead” but I don’t know...

1933.jpg

sephirothhead.jpg ‘Because you sure as hell could have fooled me.’

1934i.jpg

sephirothhead.jpg ‘You sort of suck at acting, anyway. You’ve just been reading out of a My Chemical Romance lyric booklet, haven’t you?’

1935.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Ooh, ohh, I know. Swayze, right?’

1936.jpg

After Sephiroth flies away, we tango with Jenova-Life. Mary Sue’s theme continues to play throughout this battle, which I like. Many cold based attacks which I barely took any damage from. A few summons and attacks later, she went boom. I think it’s a purposefully easy battle for players who may be broken up over Mary’s death and just want to beat the hell out of something. Wouldn’t it be amusing if it was the hardest yet and caused said players to lose, forcing them to watch the scene over and over? Suicide rates in 1997 may have been abnormally high in that case.

1937.jpg

That’s an insult to puppets everywhere. The cast of Team America looked 100x better than Squall and had more personality. Anyways this is Jenova’s one and only line (with a spelling error to top it off) which officially begins a subset of the story that I never fully understood.

1938.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Come on… come to daddy… You know you wanna…’

1939.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Yeeeeeaaaaaaaaah. I knew death was an aphrodisiac. Quick, Banana, commit seppuku. Maybe that’ll get me to third base.’

1940.jpg

Time to de-sanitize the pool.

1941b.jpg

You know it is actually a bit sad. Who’s going to be my verbal punching bag now? :(

1942.jpg

Let’s hope no one takes to this lake anytime soon. It would be swimming in shark infested waters… But minus sharks and plus gonorrhea.

1943.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘The part of me that loves to crochet while watching Sex and the City.’

1944.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Wait, I mean that part. Yeah. Makes me think of… pickles for some reason.’

1945.jpg

What? ...Killed? Yes, they sure did a spectacular job of preventing that.

1946s.jpg

Squall is just silently cursing Sephiroth for beating him to it all. The planet deserves to die for Wall Market, if nothing else.

1947.jpg
    1948.jpg
    1949.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘I have this strange urge to watch Heroes… Promise me you won’t let me do it!’

Alright. Here’s the lowdown. Sephiroth is searching for the Promised Land, which he seems convinced is up north. He plans to damage the planet with Meteor, and merge with all the spirit energy as it comes to heal the wound. In order to summon Meteor, he has the Black Materia, which Squall and Co. acquired in the Temple of the Ancients. While they did get it first, something possessed Squall and forced him to hand over the materia to Sephiroth.

Mary Sue figured she could stop it on her own. Naturally, the team went after her, only to show up just in time for Squall to get possessed again and nearly kill her, then only for her to actually get killed seconds later. She then drops a strange materia of her own into the waters below. Why didn’t she move? Why didn’t she run? Maybe she didn’t see what was going on, but I think it seems rather obvious that she wanted to die. To be struck down Obi-Wan style. (The writers of the game have since stated that no, she didn't go there with intent to die, but I honestly think it works better if she did.) Squall doesn’t realize this, so he goes emo, despite not showing any serious interest in her before. I guess it’s understandable. Even if he didn’t love her, I doubt he wanted her to die. Squall was also told by Jenova and Sephiroth that he’s a puppet, which we have yet to know what they meant by it.

So we’re left with a rather broken yet determined team. They’re going to continue their mission, but Squall won’t do it alone. He’s afraid of what he might do. The logical course of action would seem like he just shouldn’t go, but we all know that ain’t bloody likely.

1950.jpg

We’re not done yet. Not even close. Time to confront Sephiroth! Tune in next disc for the exciting continuation of Final Fantasy VII!

Adus on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Random thing I'd like to point out; during Sephiroth's descent, take note of his clothing in the first screen, and compare it to the rest of the screens. I'll let you guys figure that one out for yourselves...

I think it was Yuffie's reaction to Aerith's death that made her my favourite character; sure, she steals all your materia, but the fact that she shows the most emotion when a major character dies redeems her. I mean, seriously, Cid, what the fuck? You look like you're nonchalantly heading out for a cigarette. "Woah, a friend just got murdered right in front of me! ...Fuck, I need a smoke."

Also, since Great Glacier is coming up soon, make sure you grab the Added Cut materia that was completely missed out of the official guide - from the hot spring, take the southern path until you reach the next set of paths (there should be two heading west, including the one you've come from; one south; and one north-east); take the north-east path, and you should be on a screen that heads north-west. Go to the next screen, which should also be north-westerly, and you find the Added Cut materia.

Oh, and Jenova-LIFE uses Water attacks, not Ice. [/pedant]

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dear god man, just link him the map or something. Those directions could confuse a GPS.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    Dear god man, just link him the map or something. Those directions could confuse a GPS.

If I could find one, I would, believe me... and my nearest save file is just before the date scene, so it'd be a few hours before I reached it to take screens of it.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    A) You don't have a save file at the end of the game? You can land on the snowboarding slope in the highwind and just walk down it to the great glacier.

B) its the internet. I'm almost certain there is one of them at gamefaqs.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    A) You don't have a save file at the end of the game? You can land on the snowboarding slope in the highwind and just walk down it to the great glacier.

B) its the internet. I'm almost certain there is one of them at gamefaqs.

A) ...Good point, I do have one at the end.

B) I checked. There isn't. Although there is one for the ice lake puzzle...

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Thats so wierd, because I had looked one up when I played thru it like 3 months ago... I'll look when I get home today.

edit:
    Is this it? I think it is by the link, but I can't actually see the picture:

Glaciermap.jpg

Kor on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Thats so wierd, because I had looked one up when I played thru it like 3 months ago... I'll look when I get home today.

edit:
    Is this it? I think it is by the link, but I can't actually see the picture:

Glaciermap.jpg

Which, of course, looks nothing like the actual screens you'll be running through. Basically, you need one of the paths in that clusterfuck to the far right, but it's difficult to see it on that map. I'm loading up the savefile now, so I should have an image of the screen in question within the next quarter of an hour.

EDIT - Thinking about it, you could also head to that area after getting Alexander, as you'll enter through the path you need to take; for some reason it takes you to the hot spring instead of where the Alexander materia is, and it's on this path that Added Cut is found.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Random thing I'd like to point out; during Sephiroth's descent, take note of his clothing in the first screen, and compare it to the rest of the screens. I'll let you guys figure that one out for yourselves...

I'm not seeing it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Double post, I know, but here's the path from the very entrance:
    addedcut1.jpg

A couple of screens later, you'll end up here:

addedcut2.jpg

4 screens later, and you reach the clusterfuck:

addedcut3.jpg

Finally, on the second screen, you'll be standing here, looking at this message:

addedcut4.jpg

EDIT - or maybe not a double post after all... :)

Here's a hint - hands.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think the most surprising thing about this update is the INSERT DISC 2 screen. Haha Adus you're never going to finish this.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ah, now I see it.

I never, ever noticed that.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    addedcut1.jpg

addedcut2.jpg

addedcut3.jpg

Finally, on the second screen, you'll be standing here, looking at this message:

addedcut4.jpg

Here's a hint - hands.

Oh I see it now, I won't say anything but lulz.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I think the most surprising thing about this update is the INSERT DISC 2 screen. Haha Adus you're never going to finish this.

Haha,

Fuck you, owlbeast. It's smooth sailing from here. It'll probably get harder to stay funny but damn it, I'm going to finish just to prove that I can.

And thanks for the tips about the glacier. I really hate that area. I planned on calling it good as long as I could get Alexander.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    addedcut1.jpg

addedcut2.jpg

addedcut3.jpg

addedcut4.jpg

Here's a hint - hands.

Oh I see it now, I won't say anything but lulz.

There may be a valid reason for it though, as there are a few things that hint to the possibility that Aerith was meant to die later. There's two things that happen post-City Of The Ancients that will only occur if you've hacked into the game; one of which happens at the Great Glacier, and the other is an unused room that appears later on from a slightly different angle. I'll post about them during the next few updates, when they're relevant.

As to how this 'continuity error' fits in, consider the possibility that they had made an FMV of Sephiroth killing her in a different location, then got told, "Oh, by the way lads, we're killing her off in the City Of The Ancients, in this way." As a result, they remade most of the FMV (adding in the gloves in the process), then lazily pasted the first bit in. Of course, this is all just conjecture, but like I said - there's a few more things hidden away that lend credibility to this.

...and no, I did not come up with this stuff by myself; I only found out about it shortly after the start of this LP, with the exception of the Great Glacier bit. :)

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Then again, this game doesn't exactly have the most focused art style out there. It could have been pure human error.

*(also, could some one explain the hands joke? I feel it going way over my head...)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait added cut? is that the same as 2x/4x cut? If it's something else then i don't think i ever got it in all the years i've had the game.

Loving the LP though

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Baka_ShadeBaka_Shade Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    2x and 4x are the two levels of Added Cut, I think?

Baka_Shade on
    kanpilgrimsigfinal2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oh ok... yeah that's probably my favorite materia in the entire game

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Baka_Shade wrote: »
    2x and 4x are the two levels of Added Cut, I think?

Nope - you do a normal attack whenever you use the linked materia. For example, say you have a Steal materia that is still on 1 star; link it with Added Cut, and you have a makeshift Mug. It works with all Magic materia, all Summon materia, and most Command materia, although it doesn't work with Double Cut...

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oh ok that sounds pretty cool though... and i've never seen it before in the 12 years the games been around lol

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It is well hidden, and that's the only location you can get it from as well. Not to mention the fact that since it's a Support materia, and the ground is covered in ice, it blends in rather well with the background...

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    *(also, could some one explain the hands joke? I feel it going way over my head...)

No joke, just pointing out how Sephiroth isn't wearing gloves in the first shot whereas he is in the rest.

Adus on