As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Street Fighter IV: IN-DE-STRUCT-ABLE

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    L.E.O. wrote: »
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I use standard setup for the 360 controller. yeah I could probably be better if I had a stick but eh, charge characters don't require ballroom dancing on your analog stick and buttons to get them to do decent combos.
    damn, i dont know how you do it, the standered set up has the (all Punches) and (all Kicks) directly on top of the analogue stick, man that shit is impossible to get to. i switched those buttons to the right button and trigger, and put FA and throw on the left ones, i can never do a proper HP or HK but screw it its worth it to have FA and Throw so accessible.

thumb on stick, middle finger rest on LT and switches to LB when needed.
    how good are you? can you beat the game on hardest? how is your on-line play?

What is your birthday? What's your favorite color? Do you like winter or summer better? :P

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So are there any options for us 360 owners that don't want to shell out 300$ on ebay for a stick? Any sort of workaround like getting a stick for the PC and then an adapter? PS3->360 adapter? Anything?

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've beat it on hardest spamming lariat with Zangief if that counts, I don't really think tarding out the AI counts as skill. :p

maraxus you could get a custom built stick, would be just as good for about half the price if that.

I had 2k bp from using Chun and Dictator but I've lost about 500 trying to learn Ryu.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    L.E.O.L.E.O. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I use standard setup for the 360 controller. yeah I could probably be better if I had a stick but eh, charge characters don't require ballroom dancing on your analog stick and buttons to get them to do decent combos.
    damn, i dont know how you do it, the standered set up has the (all Punches) and (all Kicks) directly on top of the analogue stick, man that shit is impossible to get to. i switched those buttons to the right button and trigger, and put FA and throw on the left ones, i can never do a proper HP or HK but screw it its worth it to have FA and Throw so accessible.

What is your birthday? What's your favorite color? Do you like winter or summer better? :P
    i was being serious, i really want to know if you can actually kick ass at this game using a joy pad.

L.E.O. on
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

i was being serious, i really want to know if you can actually kick ass at this game using a joy pad.

It is entirely possible to get really good using a joypad. I know someone on here was going through the hard trials using a standard 360 pad. I'm not sure if you are just referring to the 360 pad or fightpad or whatever, but I used the 360 pad in HD Remix without any issues and now I'm using a fightpad for SFIV and have about 4500 BP.

So in my experience a game pad (360 pad or fightpad or otherwise) is in no way crippling.

Also, beating the game on hardest really says nothing about skill.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    L.E.O.L.E.O. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    oh ok, still i would probably feel pretty happy if i beat it on hardest, i play on medium, haha, no on-line, no x-box live.

L.E.O. on
  • Options
    SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    -snip

I use the 360 Pad, and i feel i'm pretty good. I use the analog stick instead of the D-Pad. I use the default button layout. I honestly don't have too much trouble using it. I have roughly 2500BP, and i've beaten the game on Hardest (But we all know you can cheese through it).

The 360 Pad gets a lot of hate. I know it's not perfect, but i don't see how the Fight Pad is leaps and bounds above it (Excluding the 360's terrible D-Pad).

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sivraj wrote: »
    -snip

I use the 360 Pad, and i feel i'm pretty good. I use the analog stick instead of the D-Pad. I use the default button layout. I honestly don't have too much trouble using it. I have roughly 2500BP, and i've beaten the game on Hardest (But we all know you can cheese through it).

The 360 Pad gets a lot of hate. I know it's not perfect, but i don't see how the Fight Pad is leaps and bounds above it (Excluding the 360's terrible D-Pad).

My Ryu fightpad will kick your lame 360 pad's ass.

Bring it!

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't make me stop "studying" and hop online! :P

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    maraxus94 wrote: »
    So are there any options for us 360 owners that don't want to shell out 300$ on ebay for a stick? Any sort of workaround like getting a stick for the PC and then an adapter? PS3->360 adapter? Anything?
    There are no real adapters for the 360, due to Microsoft's peripheral licensing scheme.

You can build a stick, using the guts of a 360 pad.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    RorraxRorrax Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    For any Gouken users, what is the trick to hitting the ultra from the throw? I know it can be done, but I always seem to whiff on it.

Rorrax on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rorrax wrote: »
    For any Gouken users, what is the trick to hitting the ultra from the throw? I know it can be done, but I always seem to whiff on it.

just as he turns around start the command. if you do it right you'll finish just as he turns around and it'll go off. Any sooner then that and it wont work, any later, and you'll wiff. just practice it, try to get the timing right.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DO NOT GET X-ARCADE STICKS. they are pretty crap...

anywho, i think my xbox is starting to crap out... it seems to freezing up... it did it once during a game, then during character select in arcade mode.

seems like a heat issues... no idea wtf to do about it right now... gona let it cool and see what happens... stupid fucking pos.

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

It is entirely possible to get really good using a joypad. I know someone on here was going through the hard trials using a standard 360 pad. I'm not sure if you are just referring to the 360 pad or fightpad or whatever, but I used the 360 pad in HD Remix without any issues and now I'm using a fightpad for SFIV and have about 4500 BP.

So in my experience a game pad (360 pad or fightpad or otherwise) is in no way crippling.

Also, beating the game on hardest really says nothing about skill.

If you get the chance, play Bizazedo (pretty sure he's on the PA 360 friend list). He's a 5K+ BP Bison player who uses the analog stick :P Not sure if he changed around his button placement any (probably) but yeah... you can get good on a normal 360 controller.

aBlank on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm going to end up returning my PS3 Fightpad. Just having too many problems with it trying to hold a connection, and when it does, it often gets stuck (i.e. jumping constantly because it thinks i'm holding the up button)...i'm dissapointed because there are no other pads out there that are wireless and have a 6 button layout on the face. Anyone else here have a ps3 fightpad that could comment?

I don't know if you have the room for it, but get the X-Arcade stick if you can. It works for PS3 with an adapter I think (the display in the store worked fine) but it's huge and bulky. However it is 2 sticks in one so you can play friends locally without having to buy 2 seperate controllers. Or you could just by a 360 and get a better fight stick :P

x-arcade-two-player.jpg

I've heard bad things about the quality of X-arcade. Supposedly, Arcade-in-a-box is much better.

Also:
    Daedalus wrote: »
    There are no real adapters for the 360, due to Microsoft's peripheral licensing scheme.

I'm currently building a stick using Daedalus's thread as a guide. Everything (except building the damn box itself) is pretty easy.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I'm currently building a stick using Daedalus's thread as a guide. Everything (except building the damn box itself) is pretty easy.

Ya, I would do that, problem is I have none of the tools, and am really not looking forward to the friggin case building. I'd probably just put it in a cardboard box...

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    aBlank wrote: »
    If you get the chance, play Bizazedo (pretty sure he's on the PA 360 friend list). He's a 5K+ BP Bison player who uses the analog stick :P Not sure if he changed around his button placement any (probably) but yeah... you can get good on a normal 360 controller.

Aw man, a good Bison gives my Blanka a ton of trouble...I'll have to look him up :)
    oh ok, still i would probably feel pretty happy if i beat it on hardest, i play on medium, haha, no on-line, no x-box live.

Well, I certainly hope you have some friends to play with because playing against the CPU is not the way to play Street Fighter :P
    Sivraj wrote: »

Having all six attack buttons on the face of the controller is really nice, and the dpad on it is wonderful for input-style characters. I think I had an easier time with the motions for charge characters on the analog stick but overall I still much prefer the fightpad.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Daedalus, I'm looking into building a stick and was wondering if you've had any problems with the gamestop controller for the basis of it.

Also, if anyone wants to play a decent Chun (and a few others I'm decent with) throw me an invite!

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Daedalus, I'm looking into building a stick and was wondering if you've had any problems with the gamestop controller for the basis of it.

Also, if anyone wants to play a decent Chun (and a few others I'm decent with) throw me an invite!

The Gamestop controller was far, far easier to use than the first-party one would have been.

I mean, it's terrible as a controller but was perfect for the job.

(And yeah, X-Arcade makes shitty hardware.)

Daedalus on
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

The Gamestop controller was far, far easier to use than the first-party one would have been.

I mean, it's terrible as a controller but was perfect for the job.

(And yeah, X-Arcade makes shitty hardware.)

the boxes are about the only thing they're worth... but yes, they use knock off parts and charge out of the ass for em, and from what i hear, they tend to have some input lag...

if i could buy one for cheap i'd put my own parts in it.

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I played aumni some and he has a stick and I beat him like twice.
    out of 10 or so

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I have a question (I think I already know the answer): I have to be blocking towards the direction they were jumping from on a crossup kick, down forward will not work. Basically, any crossup kick is going to totally eliminate any and all charge I have if I block it, correct?

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I played on one of those X-Arcade sticks when I was last at Frys. The concave buttons, the awkward button layout, the large size but low weight of it...not really a good product.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I have a question (I think I already know the answer): I have to be blocking towards the direction they were jumping from on a crossup kick, down forward will not work. Basically, any crossup kick is going to totally eliminate any and all charge I have if I block it, correct?

That is correct. It IS a jumping attack, so it would make sense that you couldn't block it with a down-forward crouch.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I've had weird things where I've done, for instance, Balrog's charge upper on a crossup where he runs in the direction where I was charging.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I've had weird things where I've done, for instance, Balrog's charge upper on a crossup where he runs in the direction where I was charging.

That's actually not too hard to do. If you do the punch input late in their cross-up jump, you will go to the other side.

This works for other characters as well and can catch people trying to cross you up. Whenever I use Guile or Blanka, I always do a flash kick/vertical ball late and end up going to the opposite side.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's how all these Kens and Ryus SRK me out of my df+rh crossup on wakeup.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    eekeek Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Anyone wanna fight? Possibly on the streets?

message me on XBL, eek711

eek on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I started doing my df HK late on them so I can hit them out of their srk. I can't combo off it but it's certainly better than getting hit with an srk.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'll be around, eek, if you want to fight.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

I started doing my df HK late on them so I can hit them out of their srk. I can't combo off it but it's certainly better than getting hit with an srk.

What I've started doing is running up after a knockdown and just crouching. They think that I'm going for the crossup, but I just sit there, block, and then punish with c.fp xx med sbk.

Edit: Woo! Sunny Days achivement!

Also, can any Cammys tell me how useful the TK motion Cannon Strike is? It's super hard to pull off, doesn't generate a lot of meter and requires you to be pretty much standing on top of them. Was just wondering if it's a necessity to playing the character.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    a giant FUCK YOU to the guy who made this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9hIZSp7qbw

bastard ;[

aBlank on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How did he get Marvel vs Capcom's combo system into Street Fighter 4

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    eek wrote: »

Thanks for the games. As you can see, I need to get good with A character before I can start doing multiples. Hope it wasn't too dull for you.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I played aumni some and he has a stick and I beat him like twice.
    out of 10 or so

Good matches man. Get un flu'd so we can battle some more!

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    eekeek Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Raynaga wrote: »
    eek wrote: »

Thanks for the games. As you can see, I need to get good with A character before I can start doing multiples. Hope it wasn't too dull for you.

tons of fun, thanks for the games. You might wanna work on just getting used to bread n' butter combos. c.short, c.jab, c.jab xx fierce DP is a good combo for ken.

eek on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Anyone up for some games? gamertag: solsovly

solsovly on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arcibi wrote: »

Yea no kidding. You guys have seen the guile combo video right? It's pretty similar. Almost makes me want to main him... almost.

Anyone else main viper? I'm having a ton of fun with her. I get up to about 1100, then drop down to 500 or so D:. You just can't make any mistakes with her, or you lose half your health. I've only gone against 2 other vipers so far, so I guess people dont' know what to do against one. I've had a few messages about how cheap her "infinite" seismic hammer combo is. You know... using it from across the screen right when they get up (they forget to block x_x)

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Arcibi wrote: »

Yea no kidding. You guys have seen the guile combo video right? It's pretty similar. Almost makes me want to main him... almost.

Anyone else main viper? I'm having a ton of fun with her. I get up to about 1100, then drop down to 500 or so D:. You just can't make any mistakes with her, or you lose half your health. I've only gone against 2 other vipers so far, so I guess people dont' know what to do against one. I've had a few messages about how cheap her "infinite" seismic hammer combo is. You know... using it from across the screen right when they get up (they forget to block x_x)

I haven't gotten yelled at for doing that "Infinite" thing yet. Most of the people I play figure it out after the...fourth or fifth time. She's incredibly fun, but if there is any lag you will get incredibly frustrated as it will eliminated several options. But she has ridiculous pressure game with her Thunder knuckle, her overhead (F+MP) and she can cancel any standing normal attack into an ultra (I've only got this once on a gief).

She has some very damaging combos (the few that I use do about 250-380) without Ultra. Throw the ultra at the end of a seismo xx flame kick and you get up in the 550-650 damage range off of a crouching fierce or ex seismo.

But if you mess up execution - miss that feint due to lag or just bad timing - and you lose 60% of your health. I was about to perfect a Ken earlier and mistimed a c.fp > feint... he hit me with an ultra when he had 5% life and took me from full to 30%.

But when you flow things together with her it feels so right.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You're lucking I'm not feeling well right now, Aumni, or I would KICK YOUR ASS.*

The Sneak! on