As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Videogames of the Old School

• Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Honestly, I think I had the most fun with Bad Company, when it comes to open-world environments.

I had more fun in singleplayer than in multi.

Getting thrown into squads randomly? No thanks.

Also I kept getting thrown into laggy games.

I actually enjoyed the multiplayer quite a bit.

The sniping is the best I've seen in an online game, and I typically hate sniping. The battlefields are so huge, you can actually zoom in and pick guys off from a mile away to the point that they can't even see you because of the huge distance. It gives a very unique feeling of solitude and security.

And on the same hand, it never felt cheap to me if I was the one getting sniped.

I don't know if they fixed it, but when I sniped it was way too easy. No falloff no delay nothing. Also not everything would render so the scope was more or less like a wallhack when it came to bushes and such.

Sniping started to bore me after a while.

Still no fall-off...just leading your target...though I wonder if that isn't just a euphemism for 'very minor lag, multiplied by extreme distances'

Are you playing on 360 or PS3 anyway?

I played on the 360 so maybe that is why the rendering thing happened.
    (I also felt the choppers were a bit badly implemented, especially since that fucking Hind couldn't carry any troops)

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009

It was kind of sad to play a BF game that didn't have planes, bombers, carriers, etc. but the physics damage modeling made up for a lot of that.

Edit: Oh, and the fact that you can call in unlimited air strikes, laser guided missiles, and all sorts of other goodies (albeit with a minor cool-down period) was pretty damn fun. Giving the sniper the ability to unlock laser targeting goggles, wherein you paint a target and then literally guide a missile (in first person of course!) down onto the battlefield from three miles up was genius. Or take the heavy gunner, who can unlock a GPS that can call in artillery strikes anywhere on the battlefield as long as they have a line of sight.

The fact that a sniper or soldier can, with skill, take out any tank or APC is what made that game great.

It sounds like all of this would get out of hand, but the battlefields are so huge, it really doesn't. Paired with the fact that buildings/entire villages crumble, trees come toppling down, and craters big enough to hide in pop up all over the battlefield as the result of these bombardments...and man, you have a pretty fun game. I really should go back to BC.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I didn't miss planes.

Transport choppers on the other hand...

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    STALKER was amazingly atmospheric. I kept on trying to say the phrases to my russian friend but she couldn't understand me

something like chicky-bricky and arouge-eo-brow

The "Chicky Bricky" quote I'm pretty sure is kind of like saying "Game set match" it's a reference to Chess in a Russian way.

The "Arouge eo Brow" or whatever means "Lower the Barrel" or something to that extent.

My Russian is a bit on and off.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I didn't miss planes.

Yeah, and I guess I really don't miss spawning on a cruiser two miles off shore.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I didn't miss planes.

Yeah, and I guess I really don't miss spawning on a cruiser two miles off shore.

The only point that I liked the squad spawn thing was when I was in a tank and a car was driving in front of me. This was in the middle of a desert with no cover.
    I shot it and everyone inside bailed, and they were all snipers, trying to get away from me as I drove over them and they just kept spawning. Must have been two squads there.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You can opt not to spawn with your squad though, can't you? And in the conquest game mode, you can spawn at any control point on the map under your control.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You can opt not to spawn with your squad though, can't you? And in the conquest game mode, you can spawn at any control point on the map under your control.

Yeah I know, just like BF2 spawning more since you could only spawn at your squad leader or points.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The best part about BF2 and BF1942 was that you could get hours and hours of enjoyment out of the multiplayer demos. I think I played the Wake demo more than the whole of BF1942 when I eventually bought it...and I played BF1942 for quite a while.

Oh, and in college...having roommates? It was damn easy for everyone to simply grab the demo for one of these games, and we'd all hop on the same demo server and play together.

Edit: I remember having similar experiences with the Halo multiplayer demo. It was Bloodgultch, full teams, full weapons and vehicles, unlimited playtime.
    I mean, shit, there are some multiplayer games where I usually stick to one or two maps anyway.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Honestly, I think I had the most fun with Bad Company, when it comes to open-world environments.

I had more fun in singleplayer than in multi.

Getting thrown into squads randomly? No thanks.

Also I kept getting thrown into laggy games.

I actually enjoyed the multiplayer quite a bit.

The sniping is the best I've seen in an online game, and I typically hate sniping. The battlefields are so huge, you can actually zoom in and pick guys off from a mile away to the point that they can't even see you because of the huge distance. It gives a very unique feeling of solitude and security.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swxgQ9Jvh4E&feature=PlayList&p=757660542B2B0CF1&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=30

And on the same hand, it never felt cheap to me if I was the one getting sniped.

everything about bad company looks so much better than BF2. can't wait for BC2 on the PC

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I've seen a few videos of Bad Company, and all of them made me salivate. Is it even out on the PC?

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I've had more fun in BF2 than in BFBC to be honest.

While on the subject of BF...

Holy shit the battlefield heroes beta looks horrible. Not talking about graphics, they're fine, but everything else....
    Christ. I know it's a beta though, so that isn't what makes it horrible.

It's the fact that you can't buy new stuff. You rent it instead for 7 days or maybe a month. What was wrong with just buying stuff? Too many people taking a break from playing your game?

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    thread I just bought this.

somebody find me more ridiculous vidjagame swag that is also hella classy.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    those two things are mutually exclusive

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    regrettably.

My love for classy wear will rarely also meet my love for retro vidjagames.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited April 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    classy.

not stained with mall-goth sweat.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    just stained with neckbeard "us gamers" sweat, right?

faggot

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited April 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    hopefully not stained with any kind of sweat.

sorry for, you know, offending you.

edit: also I suppose the "us gamers" versions would also have various Cheetos stains. Not really up to date on that.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    fucking gamer.

always gaming and what not

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ew ness you have horrible taste in clothing

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    kill whitey kill gamers

kill hypocrisy

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pac-Man isn't even a cool game

it's not even retro cool

I never liked Pac-Man, there, I hate playing it

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    kill bemis

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    kill bemis
    observe-and-report-20090331030253349_640w.jpg

prepare to have your shit jacked up

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Please take the dick off your forehead, Ronnie.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So was System Shock good? Would it work with XP?

I heard there was a some nightmarish spider section and I am not going to subject myself to that. I also heard that your guns wear out after like 2 magazines.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    SS2 is very much worth it. I never played the original, though. The second one is the game everyone's always talking about, and I get the impression it was way, way better, so that's probably okay.

It works with XP, after a fashion. Check out this FAQ to see if it's the kind of tinkering bullshit you're willing to put up with. My copy ended up working with a minimum of fuss, but your results may vary.

I don't remember any spiders in the game, but it's been a while. In any case, the spiderbots from Deus Ex left a much stronger impression than any spiders SS2 may or may not have had.

The guns do wear out pretty quickly, but it's not quite that extreme. Just make sure you have some repair skill and keep in mind that it's survival horror rather than a shoot 'em up and you'll be fine.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    SS2 is great, I can get it running on vista, so I imagine getting it going on XP is possible

SS1 is good too, but sort of archaic. I actually prefer the plot and that of SS1, and it manages to unnerve me even more then SS2. (mostly because the controls are so old and unweildy)

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    that reminds me

has anyone else played pac-man vs?

because it was fucking awesome

I cannot wrap my head around why there isn't a port or sequel for Wii and DS

it'd remove the whole need for that GBA wire thing and it'd be easier to get people to play

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    top 5 SNES games in terms of fun please

Qorzm on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Qorzm wrote: »

Megaman X
    Super Mario World
    Sparkster
    Megaman X2
    Megaman X3

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also, Too Human is so much fun

I got my friend to pick it up, and we play through the entire game like twice a week.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Super Mario All Stars + World

and you'll only need one cartridge

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Contra 3
    Super Mario World
    Chrono Trigger
    Super Metroid
    Super Smash TV

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    can I play Super Metroid on my DS yet?

I think Zero Mission had the original Metroid on it.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fuck the snes, the nes was the real thing
    My parents didnt want me to have a snes :(

In other news, super mario 3 and pez is a winning mix

Dadouw on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009