As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Videogames of the Old School

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I suppose once I get my pc built I should pick up some pc games

by which I mean some pc games that aren't alpha centauri

probably I'll pick up the witcher, if I can find it cheap

though they are making it for consoles

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited April 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I already have stalker

or my wife does

whatever

I don't really play fpsesesssesss

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah but I actually kinda prefer 360 games because I can just lay back and relax while playing

plus they're nearly guaranteed to run well!

but I dunno, I'll see the specs on the PC version

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Get STALKER

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    STALKER is amazing get STALKER

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Get out of here STALKER

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited April 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    the OC mod owns if only for coming across camps of STALKERS playin' gee-tar around a trash fire

They do that in regular as well. I think Oblivion Lost adds back the harmonica too.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Shit, I need to finish STALKER

I forget why I stopped last time

Oh I remember, my video card was overheating and then I had reinstalled windows

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Just got done playing both Dawn of War 2 and Crysis for the first time.

Dawn of War 2 is pretty damn awesome so far. Crysis looks amazing, but the first hour or so that I've played felt very familiar.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Crysis' enemies felt nearly as indestructible as you.

And then they get
    the nano suit as well

The armour mode was only useful if you were in cover and fighting maybe 4 soldiers at once.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I didn't have much trouble killing dudes in crysis (only played warhead though maybe it's different?) I usually went around with assault rifle/shotgun and that got shit done, especially since headshots seemed super easy with the reflex sights

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The explosions are pretty visceral. Maybe it's the motion blur...

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've been playing Painkiller

s'good

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    L|ama wrote: »
    I didn't have much trouble killing dudes in crysis (only played warhead though maybe it's different?) I usually went around with assault rifle/shotgun and that got shit done, especially since headshots seemed super easy with the reflex sights

Well, close up they seemed to go down pretty easy, but at a range of more than 200-300 meters it was as if your gun just sucked ass although you had the same gun as they did.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've been playing Painkiller

s'good

THIS

IS

THE PAIN KILLER

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    True. There was a guy about 300 yards away from me, and I probably heard the "Yurp!" sound from him being shot at least a dozen times before he finally went down. That's not too uncommon in shooters though, I guess.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The great thing about STALKER is when you see a dude off in the distance with his headlamp on and he's just standing around like a chump so you crouch down and shoot him and think to yourself "Hahah, stupid Stalker" and then you notice his headlamp is still on and flailing about while he's on the ground and you realize that "IT'S ZOMBIES OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wish I understood computers so I could build a computer that played modern games well.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wish I understood computers so I could build a computer that played modern games well.

It's really not hard, you can find some good DIY guides on the internet. Plus ask some people who know what they're talking about, usually they're more than willing to help ya choose parts, tell you how to put em together, etc.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

It doesn't take more than a few google searches if all you want is a computer that plays games well.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    the best part of Painkiller is nailing a guy with a stake from like 300 yards

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Crysis was so fucking meh its insane

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I dunno, Crysis was a lot of fun. I liked cloaking and sneaking up on dudes, grabbing one and using him as a human shield then tossing him into his buddies like I was bowling. Or jumping on top of a shack and using strength mode and punching through the roof and beating people to death. Plus the awesome zero gravity parts and the last quarter of the game where it got all crazy and there were tanks everywhere and the plane ride and fuck yeah explosions everywhere and shit.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I like that they all instantly drown in water

so all you have to do is get their attention, run into the water and watch them all die trying to get you

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Also, it's fun to mess around with the config files and give yourself infinite suit energy, then increase your strength so you can throw Koreans into the sun. Or make yourself so fast you nearly kill yourself when you hit an object. Good times.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I guessed you missed the point, I'd say this sums up my opinion ->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyQTCeobZlg

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Waka Laka wrote: »

I guessed you missed the point, I'd say this sums up my opinion ->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyQTCeobZlg

Holy shit I thought that was a computer-generated voice for about the first ten seconds of that video.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Honestly, I think I had the most fun with Bad Company, when it comes to open-world environments.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    No I got the point

Still wasn't that fun

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Honestly, I think I had the most fun with Bad Company, when it comes to open-world environments.

I had more fun in singleplayer than in multi.

Getting thrown into squads randomly? No thanks.

Also I kept getting thrown into laggy games.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    why would anyone post a video about games on YouTube

it makes you look like a total dork

but not me, I post about games on a forum 8-)

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I actually enjoyed the multiplayer quite a bit.

The sniping is the best I've seen in an online game, and I typically hate sniping. The battlefields are so huge, you can actually zoom in and pick guys off from a mile away to the point that they can't even see you because of the huge distance. It gives a very unique feeling of solitude and security.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swxgQ9Jvh4E&feature=PlayList&p=757660542B2B0CF1&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=30

And on the same hand, it never felt cheap to me if I was the one getting sniped.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    STALKER was amazingly atmospheric. I kept on trying to say the phrases to my russian friend but she couldn't understand me

something like chicky-bricky and arouge-eo-brow

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "I enjoy interactive entertainment" sounds better than "I'm a gamer", I'll admit.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would enjoy stalker much more if it didn't rape me everytime i try to play it. I suck at that game.

On the Battlefield games, does anyone know if BF2142 is still populated? Hate to re-install and then find out its empty.

101 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

The sniping is the best I've seen in an online game, and I typically hate sniping. The battlefields are so huge, you can actually zoom in and pick guys off from a mile away to the point that they can't even see you because of the huge distance. It gives a very unique feeling of solitude and security.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swxgQ9Jvh4E&feature=PlayList&p=757660542B2B0CF1&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=30

And on the same hand, it never felt cheap to me if I was the one getting sniped.

I don't know if they fixed it, but when I sniped it was way too easy. No falloff no delay nothing. Also not everything would render so the scope was more or less like a wallhack when it came to bushes and such.

Sniping started to bore me after a while.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    We still talkin' bout old school videogames in here?

outpost_mini.jpg

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I don't know if they fixed it, but when I sniped it was way too easy. No falloff no delay nothing. Also not everything would render so the scope was more or less like a wallhack when it came to bushes and such.

Sniping started to bore me after a while.

Still no fall-off...just 'leading your target'...though I wonder if that isn't just doublespeak for 'very minor lag, multiplied under extreme distances'

Dangerou-Dave on