Options

Sony blackballs Kotaku

• Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ED! wrote: »
    Kinda silly that you're okay with Sony essentially trying to "blackmail/bribe" the rumor under the rug.

So a company saying "If you cant work with us, we wont work with you" is now blackmail? They got two letters - one cordial, one "ok - gloves off". . .usually in blackmail situations you get one letter, and its not so nice. A true dick move wouldve been to not give KOTAKU any warning and just cancelled all their press access.

Asking for favors after giving gifts with the threat of taking those gifts away or more tends to be a form of blackmail. The short form of it is that Sony tried to literally scare the guy into not posting the rumor.
    You realise it's a pretty regular thing in the games industry, right?

An example I brought up in the other thread is that Nintendo sent a copy of Super Paper Mario to Shane Bettenhausen at 1UP. From my memory of what he said on the 1UP Yours podcast, he didn't sign a NDA but just had an agreement with Nintendo to not say much about it (all he's said so far is that it's "pretty good"). If he were to openly start talking about it, I'd bet that Nintendo would "punish" 1UP/EGM by not providing them with the access they usually have.

Yeah, but there's a pretty sharp difference from having the secrets of your game revealed after giving someone a copy and dealing with an unconfirmed rumor.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kinda silly that you're okay with Sony essentially trying to "blackmail/bribe" the rumor under the rug.

So a company saying "If you cant work with us, we wont work with you" is now blackmail? They got two letters - one cordial, one "ok - gloves off". . .usually in blackmail situations you get one letter, and its not so nice. A true dick move wouldve been to not give KOTAKU any warning and just cancelled all their press access.

Asking for favors after giving gifts with the threat of taking those gifts away or more tends to be a form of blackmail. The short form of it is that Sony tried to literally scare the guy into not posting the rumor.

I don't think "You provided false information, so we're taking our toys and leaving the sandbox!" is quite sinister enough to be considered blackmail.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Honestly, Sony has just shot one of their biggest supporters in her gaping blogina.
    You're being sarcastic, right? :lol: Nearly all of the bullshit rumours that went around last year were started at Kotaku (including the infamous one where each PS3 game would only be able to run on one system).
    Regardless, they're also one of the companies biggest (only?) supporters. Sure, they did some anti-Sony tabloid mucky-muck, too, but they also showed a lot more love to Sony than other sites.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Update: This really wasn't worth it for Kotaku. They do get one good scoop now, but they've potentially blown countless scoops in the future, since Sony has cut off ALL information to them. And blabbing about the blackballing could ensure it continues for quite some time.

Uh?

Am I the only one who remembers that 'scoops' simply don't exist any more? The instant one site (blog or otherwise) reports something, it's everywhere within minutes.
    Yeah but...whoever posts the info first is the one that got the 'scoop'. And they generally get credit from other sites for being the one to break the story. So over time, they gain a repuation as the go-to place for new info. It's just that, in the old days everyone got the story the next day, whereas now it's the next few minutes. Same concept though.

So, attaining the scoop is all about the 'cred'? Gosh. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'll go to a site out of habit and good content, not whether they can be first out of the gate with a corporate-sanctioned press-release. Does the scoop factor in to any one elses reading choices?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

So its not KOTAKU's bad for taking that access and gifts in the first place, but SONY's for (shockingly) leveraging that relationship to cash in on some of that Quid-Pro-Quo?
    The short form of it is that Sony tried to literally scare the guy into not posting the rumor.

Seems to me they said "Hey buddy - dont post this. . .were cool right, do me a solid" - at which point the scary letter came which wasnt a threat at all, but was a statement of consequence for not doing the solid.

I think at this point I should stop talking since the concept of this seems to be well above your head.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zephos wrote: »
    thematically, the baby doll one is incredible. Very 2001 monolith style. The young, blank slate of a child is completely awed and blown away by the knowledge that the ps3 imbues into it. It only works with the doll too, a real child would have been not good enough. there is impact there, the reflection of all the images in the eyes as the tears flow, then retract.
    Sorry, but copping the entire concept from a classic (and awesome) movie to hock your game system doesn't strike me as thematically incredible. Not to mention, the '2001 monolith' angle has exactly zero impact on anyone who isn't familiar with the movie/book (which is a lot of people these days).

guess it just boils down to personal perception.

i just choose to look at more than a catchy song and pretty graphics and dig a little deeper.

i DO get the meaning for the 2001, and i for one really "get" the commercial despite the fact that i'm a 360 owner, and despiser of the ps3.

I "get" the commercial too. It just came across as creepy and pretentious, even though I understood the reference and the meaning.

They need to hire back whatever firm came up with the PSP "Take Me Out" TV ads. Even though they didn't show any footage of games, it did a really good job of making the PSP seem like something fun.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Blogs not Classified as News?

Sony to Take Ball and Go Home?

Bullshit Headlines to Find Legitimacy through use of Humble Question Mark?

*shrug* I just can't get excited about this. I find the caliber of writing at Kotaku to be quite low; they haven't shown Sony any particular love or attention so I think we're once again climbing Mount Molehill. When you break it down - it's Sony's party and they can take choose to share cake or not.

No more cake for Kotaku. I don't think the world's going to stop spinning because of it.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

no, i mean, Mad world is a GREAT song, but the pacing in that commercial was horrible past the first 30 seconds in the longer version, in the shorter version its even worse. the horrible literal lyrics of "familiar faces" as he looks into the reflection in the puddle, and then "worn out faces" as he turns the face of the broken statue. Right at the end, the piano in the dark with only the orange eyes illuminating the scene start to work, but as soon as the creature is revealed the pace of the song is too slow for what you are seeing on screen.

--

and artistically, the gears commercial was nothing more than a fan trailer with dubbed music. it just looked so amature. and hell, for that we have this decent metallica remix.
    I knew there was a reason I liked you. First time I saw that commercial it was after reading everyone waxing lyrical about it, and my reaction was just 'huh. Pop culture song on some cinematics'. It was like the work experience boy slapped it together and they thought 'hey, might as well chuck that out there.'

As to this: good on Kotaku. They're basically one giant opinion column, and there's nothing to stop them running with a story like this. I know I was interested in reading it, and it generated interest on my part for the company and their shiny monolith of a product.

Am I right in thinking that, effectively, Sony doesn't actually have a PR department? They fired that one exec a while ago, and from what I've heard they had trouble filling the position.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Willeth wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that, effectively, Sony doesn't actually have a PR department? They fired that one exec a while ago, and from what I've heard they had trouble filling the position.

I think their Japanese publisher relations person quit sometime last year. I don't remember hearing if they ever filled it though.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sony and Kotaku have made up:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/sony/sony-and-kotaku-makeup-240922.php

*cough* Sony backflip *cough*

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Holy CRAP, that's fast work. You've gotta give them credit for that.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Marlor wrote: »

Do we have reason to believe this was anything but a ploy to spur conversation?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Manic205 wrote: »
    Maybe they reacted that way because the story is false.

"So, I hear the PS3 Network is getting a much-needed upgrade, what some believe can finally push the online aspect to the levels of Xbox Live. "

"Well... no, not really."

"...Oh. So, anyone for some co-op Crackdown?"

Actually, the story is about Playstation Home, which is essentially a mix between Miis and Achievements.

And their reaction only helps to validate the story since they don't actually prove it false.

And even if it IS false, why shut them up - it's still good press at this point. If Sony crushed every innacurately positive PS3 article, there'd be nothing left at this point.

and yet they don't quash stories that it's selling well. Double standards!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So pretty much Kotaku just threw this shit in their face, called their bluff, made the whole thing public, and then Sony backed down.

Awsome.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

So its not KOTAKU's bad for taking that access and gifts in the first place, but SONY's for (shockingly) leveraging that relationship to cash in on some of that Quid-Pro-Quo?
    The short form of it is that Sony tried to literally scare the guy into not posting the rumor.

Seems to me they said "Hey buddy - dont post this. . .were cool right, do me a solid" - at which point the scary letter came which wasnt a threat at all, but was a statement of consequence for not doing the solid.

I think at this point I should stop talking since the concept of this seems to be well above your head.

Someone doesnt agree with an internet posters definition of a situation, so their grasp of said definition is OBVIOUSLY faulty. Welcome to the Internets: Where Nothing Changes.

But by all means - stop talking.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

no, i mean, Mad world is a GREAT song, but the pacing in that commercial was horrible past the first 30 seconds in the longer version, in the shorter version its even worse. the horrible literal lyrics of "familiar faces" as he looks into the reflection in the puddle, and then "worn out faces" as he turns the face of the broken statue. Right at the end, the piano in the dark with only the orange eyes illuminating the scene start to work, but as soon as the creature is revealed the pace of the song is too slow for what you are seeing on screen.

--

and artistically, the gears commercial was nothing more than a fan trailer with dubbed music. it just looked so amature. and hell, for that we have this decent metallica remix.
    I knew there was a reason I liked you. First time I saw that commercial it was after reading everyone waxing lyrical about it, and my reaction was just 'huh. Pop culture song on some cinematics'. It was like the work experience boy slapped it together and they thought 'hey, might as well chuck that out there.'
    it was all in game :)

but yeah, lame commercial, great song, yadda yadda.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Damn, that was fast.

I think this gives blogs more power now as Sony has realized how fast bad press like this can spread

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    So pretty much Kotaku just threw this shit in their face, called their bluff, made the whole thing public, and then Sony backed down.

Awsome.

Or nothing happened.

I'm having a hard time believing Sony would play by their rules, considering Kotaku is nothing but a blip in the gaming community, if even that.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sony to buy Kotaku.... lunch.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    All I know is if I suddenly had blackballs I would get that shit looked at. Could be serious.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Awsome.

That what I love most about this whole thing. Proof again that bullies will play nice if you stand up to them.
    it was all in game
    Oh, I know. It was using the game engine, but it was an FMV. By my book, that falls under the heading of 'cinematic', but it's really splitting hairs.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Awsome.

Or nothing happened.

I'm having a hard time believing Sony would play by their rules, considering Kotaku is nothing but a blip in the gaming community, if even that.

Kotaku is a pretty influential site. The fallout about the blacklisting had spread to many of the other major sites, and even to places like Slashdot.

I think that Sony just realized that they had nothing to gain from blacklisting Crecente and Co.

Marlor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Awsome.

Or nothing happened.

Kotaku is a pretty influential site. The fallout about the blacklisting had spread to many of the other major sites, and even to places like Slashdot.

I think that Sony just realized that they had nothing to gain from blacklisting Crecente and Co.
    I think within about two minutes of the letter being posted on Kotaku, there were about 1000 diggs on the story. Make of that what you will.

Willeth on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Awsome.

Or nothing happened.

Well, to be fair I wouldn't really put it past Kotaku to make stuff up for the attention... but I doubt they would do so in a way where there's slander involved.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think within about two minutes of the letter being posted on Kotaku, there were about 1000 diggs on the story. Make of that what you will.

It also made it to the front page of Slashdot in record time. There's usually a lag of quite a few hours with Slashdot stories.

Making it to Slashdot's front page is a pretty big deal. For example, my boss wouldn't know a PS3 from a DS, but he reads Slashdot every day.

I guess Sony found out that bad news travels fast, and had to act quickly themselves.

Marlor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Regardless of whether or not this was all for publicity, it is a shining example of how fast news spreads on the internet.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Someone doesnt agree with an internet posters definition of a situation, so their grasp of said definition is OBVIOUSLY faulty.

So...you're pointing out the obvious why?

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    And thus Sony's ability to instill fear in the media masses goes bye-bye.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

Sony gives Kotaku items for good press, which Kotaku has been doing lately (God of War 2, Motorcross). Sony threatened to cancel the deal if they didn't get what they wanted. Extortion.
    *shrug* I just can't get excited about this. I find the caliber of writing at Kotaku to be quite low

I'm no grammatical hero, and definitely not a spelling expert, but even I cringe at some of the mistakes that make it onto their front page.

And, as I expected (and much to chaossoldier's dismay), Kotaku got away with it.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    All I know is if I suddenly had blackballs I would get that shit looked at. Could be serious.
    RACIST! ;-)

Sleep: Wow, I never knew that the reviews God of War 2 got from 1UP and IGN were because Sony gave them some items. I guess it has nothing to do with it being a fucking awesome game and all. What I'm trying to say is, perhaps that good press is because they're good games.

Anyway, meh, I was hoping that Kotaku would somehow come out in a bad situation. I really hate that site.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ahahahahahahahaha.

Glad to see someone in the company realized how bad for PR this was.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They also made up with Immersion... but rumble is so last gen!

I think someone at Sony forgot to take there happy pills for the last year or so...

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    Ahahahahahahahaha.

Glad to see someone in the company realized how bad for PR this was.

"Kotaku....we're blackballing you." "Fine!" *Moments later, the internet is filled with the story.* "Uhh...guys, I think we made a mistake." "PRESS THE RED 'REVERSE TIME' BUTTON!" "It's not working!" "Damn thing never does...Maybe next time."

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That what I love most about this whole thing. Proof again that bullies will play nice if you stand up to them
    Are you serious? That is in no way, shape, or form an appropriate metaphor. Please think harder next time.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm amazed there hasn't been a rip in the space-time continuum from the amount of backpeddling Sony's been doing lately.

Oh, how the mighty has fallen. What was once one of the leading and most powerful and innovative corporations in the world is now whipping boy to patent campers, retailers, the media, and apparently anyone with a computer and an opinion.

I remember the good times.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sleep wrote: »

Sony gives Kotaku items for good press, which Kotaku has been doing lately (God of War 2, Motorcross). Sony threatened to cancel the deal if they didn't get what they wanted. Extortion.

Thats not extortion.

khain on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    That what I love most about this whole thing. Proof again that bullies will play nice if you stand up to them
    Are you serious? That is in no way, shape, or form an appropriate metaphor. Please think harder next time.

Well the way I see it, Sony wanted to control what got out there. They sent Kotaku a note saying that if they ran with the story, they'd sever ties. That's the bullying part. And then Kotaku says 'yeah? Well, go for it.' and calls their bluff. And Sony backs down.

Willeth on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    khain wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »

Thats not extortion.
    Correct. If anything, it's like...the converse of extortion or some shit.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    khain wrote: »
    Thats not extortion.
    Correct. If anything, it's like...the converse of extortion or some shit.

If anything, it's like when a company threatens to pull their sponsorship of a TV network unless the network cancels a certain documentary that they don't like.

Kotaku were trying to run an independently-sourced story. Sony threatened consequences for doing so. Kotaku called their bluff.

Marlor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    If anything, it's like when a company threatens to pull their sponsorship of a TV network unless the network cancels a certain documentary that they don't like.

Except that Sony aren't exactly providing Kotaku with their funding and only have a fraction of a say in whether they stay afloat or go under. Crecente himself said they weren't going to stop reporting on Sony news, and there are plenty of other sources than the horse's mouth.

Willeth on