As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Phalliad: PHALLIA VICTORIOUS!

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited March 2007 in Critical Failures
III.jpg

Sing, Ares, God of War, of the honor and courage of Phallia!
Resolute warriors, ever defiant in the face of Greece’s might,
Though doomed to be swept ‘neath unstoppable waves of mighty Acheans,
Still they fought true and drew Ares’ fond eye as they braved the coming storm.

Greece’s tremendous ambition, no secret to those of fair Phallia,
Rendered the city’s great army a maelstrom of fear and suspicion.
For, it had come to be thought, within their voluminous ranks there lurked
Spies and assassins, inclined to annihilate Phallia from within.

Jeffius, fleetest of Phallia’s messengers, left to discover the
Nature of Greece’s great onslaught, the identity of her treacherous spies.
Seven and twenty days later did Jeffius return, mortally wounded, and
Spoke of the terrible threat that confronted the warriors of Phallia:

“Brothers, dear Phallians, wretched is our fortune and ill are our chances, for
Athan himself has been secretly planted within our great ranks.
Watching and waiting for many a month, with six of his greatest champions,
Athan, the Scourge of the Achaens has learned of our strengths and our weaknesses.

“Watching and waiting, the monster within is poised to hinder our efforts,
And three days hence will the Grecians descend ‘pon our ill-fated city.
From without and within, both overtly and covertly, will our forces be assailed,
‘Til every last warrior lays on the ground, awash in gore and ignominy.”

His tale related, the wound-riddled Phallian died in the arms of his captain.
Silence descended upon the town’s army as the weight of the messenger’s
Words reverb’rated through the halls, for no man, nor woman, nor child
Was ignorant to the might of great Athan, he who was blessed by the gods.

Favored by Hades, the Achaen was immune to mortal weaponry,
Impervious to death at the hands of any mere man or beast.
Armies of thousands had fallen ‘neath Athan’s implacable blade,
Head hewn from neck as their bodies slumped lifelessly down to the uncaring earth.

His deeds were well-known, but no man knew his visage, for Athan e’er wore
A great helm of pure black, which obscured every feature, eclipsed his identity.
Phallia’s great army knew well that the monster hid silent among them,
Yet powerless they were to recognize their foe - the serpent that lurked in their midst.

Near drew the day of the foretold assault, and weary grew the men.
Ramparts were fortified, walls reinforced, but the Phallians knew it for naught,
As the true challenge lay in their very own den: the immortal Athan of Greece,
And the cursed destruction that soon would be wrought by his wrath and his fury.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
ElJeffe on

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    GAME MECHANICS

For those who’ve never played this type of game before, here are the general rules:

Most of you are normal, innocent citizens loyal to your town. Some of you, however, are bad guys of some sort. The innocent citizens don’t know the identities of any of the bad guys. The bad guys, however, generally know each other. Each night, everyone in the game – good and bad – publicly votes on who they’d like to execute for being a bad guy. That person dies at the end of the night. The bad guys, each night, privately choose one or more citizens to murder. If all of the bad guys die, the good guys win. If the number of innocent people shrinks to a certain level (that is, to a point where it’s impossible for the good guys to win), the bad guys win. In addition to the normal citizens and bad guys, there are generally a number of special roles assigned to certain innocents that grant them special powers, such as being able to determine if a person is good or bad, or being able to protect someone from death. Them’s the basics. Now onto the particulars.

The roles are as follows:

7 spies
    – Spies are the bad guys, here. Their leader is Athan, the chosen of Hades, and he is immune to death by mortal hand. Have fun with that one.

3 Oracles (seers)
    Role Mechanics:
    Every third night, an oracle may select one person about whom to have a vision. The vision will reveal if a player is a spy or a faithful soldier, but not any special powers. Each night, only one Oracle is active, such that each Oracle may have a vision every third night.

2 Phylakes
    (guardians)
    Role Mechanics:
    Every other night, a Phylakas may choose to protect one person from death by any means other than the vote. A Phylakas may protect against any number of attacks on a given night. That is, if every player capable of attacking tries to kill a person protected by a Phylakas, the person will survive. The Phylakes are that bad-ass. Phylakes operate on alternating nights.

A whole bunch of Hoplites
    (normal villagers)
    Role mechanics:
    You are the pride of Phallia, the heart and soul of her army. Your goal is to weed out the spies and their leader, Athan, before you all fall prey to his blade. Each night, you will vote for the player you’d like to see ritually beheaded before the enraged and paranoid masses.

In addition to these character roles, there will be an item in play:

The Staff of Asclepius:

This serpent-entwined staff has the power to resurrect any person who is killed by any means. The holder needs merely to designate any deceased person, and that person will be brought back to life the next day, with any powers intact (seers will remain seers, etc). If a person possessing the staff is killed, the killer takes possession of it. If the person holding the staff is voted for execution by the mob, the staff will go to one of the people who voted for the holder’s execution at random. The staff may be used twice before it loses its powers, and it initially is in the possession of a loyal hoplite. It may be freely given to any player – the person currently holding it merely needs to send me a PM. It may also be given anonymously, if the current holder desires.

Other Important Factoids and Miscellaneous Rules:

- There will be no secret rules. Everyone will have full knowledge of all the rules currently in effect governing all roles, with the exception of the precise nature of spy kills. However, the rules won’t necessarily remain constant. If a new game mechanic or role comes into play, it will be made abundantly clear.

- Specials are not revealed as such in the narration when they die. However, the demographics of the kills for any given night will be listed. For example, if 3 people are killed in a night, and 1 of them is an oracle, it will be revealed that 2 hoplites and 1 oracle were killed.

- In the event that a person is the target of multiple kill attempts – say, both the target of the spies and the highest vote-getter – the one credited with the kill will be chosen at random.

- No screen grabs of PMs.

- No anonymous communication between players. Email and IM is okay as long as the recipient knows who you are.

- No person may post or forward any PM that I have sent them to anyone else. The contents of the post can be communicated, but no actual posting or forwarding. For example, if an oracle wishes to post that I said person XXXX is a hoplite, that's fine. If an oracle wishes to copy and paste the text of my PM that says that XXXX is a hoplite, that is not okay.

- You can do whatever you wish with PMs you've received from other players.

- Please don’t violate the spirit of the rules, here. Role PMs have been tailored in such a way that they should be useless as a means of identifying yourselves to others. Still, I may have overlooked something, so kindly don’t try to find a loophole that allows you to use your role PMs as ID.

- The dead may not communicate with the living. No PMs between the deceased and the still alive-and-kicking.

Voting:
    Votes for death should be bolded and in red, like this: “I vote to execute ElJeffe.
    Retractions should be bolded and in lime, like this: “I retract my vote for ElJeffe, he is an okay dude.
    The first vote will be at 7:00pm PDT on Monday night, and each night at 7:00pm PDT thereafter. There are no hard and fast rules on required voting, but if you miss too many, you WILL be weeded out. Phallia is no place for the idle.

Table of Contents:
    Prologue
    Night 0
    Night 1
    Night 2
    Night 3
    And Then There Were Forty
    Night 4
    Night 5
    The Serpent Strikes
    Night 6
    Night 7

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited March 2007
    Player List

This list will be updated to show who has died, and how.

1. Smasher
    - Spy'd, Night three
    2. DevoutlyApathetic - Spy'd, Night three
    3. Gnasty - Spy'd, Night six
    4. GrimmyTOA - Soul Slurp'd, Night five
    5. Elendil
    6. Lord Cecil Eaglelaser - Athan'd, Night seven
    7. Tofu - Mob kill'd, Night three
    8. Frosteey
    9. Grid System - Mob vote redirect, Night six
    10. AcidSerra - Vessel'd, Night five
    11. Jdarksun - Spy'd, Night five
    12. ArrBeeBee - Mob'd, Night four
    13. Saburbia - Spy'd, Night three
    14. Cantide
    15. Precisionk
    16. PsychoLarry1 - Spy'd, Night three
    17. DarkPrimus - Spy'd, Night three
    18. Redx - Wrath of Mod'd, Night five
    19. Elkamil - Spy'd, Night three
    20. Senor Fish - Vessel'd, Night four
    21. Thorgot - Spy'd, Night three
    22. MechMantis - Autofellatio'd, Night 8
    23. Shamus - Mob'd, Night Nine
    24. Rygar - Athan'd, Night seven
    25. SUPERSUGA - Mob'd, Night five
    26. Variable - Spy'd, Night five
    27. Dynagrip - Soul slurp'd, Night four
    28. Nerissa - Spy'd, Night three
    29. Gundam470 -Spy'd, Night three
    30. RonnieDobbs - Auto-fellatio'd, Night Eight
    31. Last Son - Spy'd, Night three
    32. Talonrazor - Mob'd, Night seven
    33. Johannen
    34. Squashua - Spy'd, Night six
    35. TehSpectre - Spy'd, Night three
    36. Bunyip - Spy'd, Night three
    37. Visiblehowl
    38. Jameserson - Wrath of Mod'd, Night five
    39. Plutonium - Spy'd, Night three
    40. XenoZergie - Athan'd, Night eight
    41. Locus - Spy'd, Night three
    42. Tuxkamen - Spy'd Night three
    43. FunkyWaltDogg - Spy'd, Night three
    44. A penguin
    45. Hakkekage - Athan'd, Night nine
    46. Ardor - Soul slurp'd, Night five
    47. MrBlarney
    48. Serpent
    49. Malkor - Vessel'd, Night nine
    50. Yar
    51. jackisreal
    52. Spawnbroker
    53. ManningsEquation - Soul slurp'd, Night six
    54. Picardathon - Spy'd, Night three
    55. Buzz Buzz - Athan'd, Night nine
    56. Bliss 101 - Spy'd, Night four
    57. Andrew_Jay - Soul slurp'd, Night nine
    58. Dread Pirate Cassandra Mobbed, Night two
    59. Lady Eri - Spy'd, Night three
    60. FarseerBaradas - Spy'd, Night three

ElJeffe on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Retracting votes. Hows everyone doing?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Right, time to get the bandwagons rolling.

I vote for SUPERSUGA. For the caps.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Why Supersaga? Do you have a reason?

Gorilla Salad on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    And three days hence will the Grecians descend ‘pon our ill-fated city.

Sleeper roles wake on the third night, perhaps?

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I !vote for Rygar. He is just radiating spyitude this game.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited March 2007
    thorgot wrote: »
    I !vote for Rygar. He is just radiating spyitude this game.
    That's what I'm talkin about!

Gorilla Salad on
  • Manning'sEquationManning'sEquation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I vote for Dread Pirate Cassandra.

For not letting me play in her game after the sign-ups were closed.

Manning'sEquation on
    edited March 2007
    Senor Fish wrote: »

Because Aroduc isn't playing, and supersuga just kind of stands out in the player list?

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

Because Aroduc isn't playing, and supersuga just kind of stands out in the player list?
    But Rygar...

Gorilla Salad on
    edited March 2007
    SenorFish you seem a little too eager to get a bandwagon started against the obvious choice, especially since he does seem to have redeemed himself a bit in the pre-game thread. I mean, you weren't even implicated or anything by him in Castle Phalla.

Of course, you know, irony of ironies if he actually is a monster. Bluegh.

Hakkekage on
    edited March 2007
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    SenorFish you seem a little too eager to get a bandwagon started against the obvious choice, especially since he does seem to have redeemed himself a bit in the pre-game thread. I mean, you weren't even implicated or anything by him in Castle Phalla.

Of course, you know, irony of ironies if he actually is a monster. Bluegh.
    I wasn't in Castle Phalla. But everyone was saying "LOL, lets kill Rygar" in the pregame thread. Don't tell me you're all going back on it now.

Gorilla Salad on
    edited March 2007
    Hey, I hardly stand for "you're all", just trying to get into the accusatory, first day of Phalla mood.

It's my first Phalla, so be gentle.

Hakkekage on
    edited March 2007
    Hey, I hardly stand for "you're all", just trying to get into the accusatory, first day of Phalla mood.

*cue Lyrics to Tenacious D's "Fuck you Gently"*

Gorilla Salad on
    edited March 2007

Wait until I cut off my boob and go Amazon, though. The Snoo-snoo will not be gentle then.

Hakkekage on
    edited March 2007
    Hey, I hardly stand for "you're all",

That sounds a bit like spy-talk to me. Do you mean you stand with THEM then?

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
    edited March 2007

Wait until I cut off my boob and go Amazon, though. The Snoo-snoo will not be gentle then.

Oh shit.

My flesh.

Gorilla Salad on
    edited March 2007
    Hey. listen. Um, I'm thinking about formin an exploration party to discover france and get some cake real quick. anyone wanna go with?

In response to Thorgot, yes. I realize that. So maek poast more.

Gorilla Salad on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hey. listen. Um, I'm thinking about formin an exploration party to discover france and get some cake real quick. anyone wanna go with?

You realize you don't need to have half the posts in the topic, right?

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Hey, I hardly stand for "you're all",

That sounds a bit like spy-talk to me. Do you mean you stand with THEM then?

Just responding to Fishy's inappropriate apostrophe, and also that I stand outside the bandwagon.

Also, I have to leave in a little while so I wanted to get my thoughts out there before the inactives list goes up.

Hakkekage on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's far too early for me to cast a vote, but I thought I would share some thoughts I had.

It would be very beneficial for us to link the 3 oracles together. Between the guardians and the resurrection staff, this should be pretty easy. Assuming that the oracles know which night they get their vision, the oracle who gets the third vision should go public today. The other two oracles can seer him tonight and tomorrow night and get in contact, and the third oracle can check one of them out on the third night if he feels it necessary. The guardians should protect the public oracle, and if that somehow fails, we have the staff.

Another word or two about the staff: it should probably be saved for use on the oracles, or on whatever else we get when the mechanics change. And please, if the staff holder thinks he's going to die, please pass it off to someone known not to be a bad guy.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man what. The caps were a dreadful mistake of my younger years. I'm not going to lower myself to voting for Bliss simply in self defense. I have a feeling the spies will be sitting back on this one and letting the early-posters bandwagon themselves. I shall vote tommorow.

SUPERSUGA on
  • PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I predict that Smasher and Grimmy will want to kill me when they start posting. I will beat them to it and !vote for GrimmyTOA

PsychoLarry1 on
    edited March 2007
    Oh, I totally forgot about you, larry. Maybe I'll change my vote later.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    It's far too early for me to cast a vote, but I thought I would share some thoughts I had.

It would be very beneficial for us to link the 3 oracles together. Between the guardians and the resurrection staff, this should be pretty easy. Assuming that the oracles know which night they get their vision, the oracle who gets the third vision should go public today. The other two oracles can seer him tonight and tomorrow night and get in contact, and the third oracle can check one of them out on the third night if he feels it necessary. The guardians should protect the public oracle, and if that somehow fails, we have the staff.

I agree that it's early to cast a vote.

Standard questions regarding your proposed tactics:
    1 - What if the staffholder hoplite dies tonight (from vote or assassin)?
    2 - What's to stop a "I'm Spartacus" rush to claim to be the oracle? If several people claim to be the oracle RIGHT NOW, which one do you choose?
    3 - How do you know which one of the "ones that died tonight" was the Oracle if you can't really confirm it (for resurrection purposes)? We're going to get a "2 hoplies and one oracle died" but not a "bob the oracle died" message.

There are 7 spies. It would be simple for 3 of them to "throw it in for the greater good" and pretend to be an oracle group.

Last game I was in, there was a pretender all the way (ArrBeeBee, you scoundrel. :-) ), so please understand that I'm a mite cautious.

I'm just saying here that we shouldn't rush things; your proposal is good, but I see some potential flaws in the logic. If we can iron those out, we're probably good to go.

Squashua on
    edited March 2007
    Squashua wrote: »

2 - What's to stop a "I'm Spartacus" rush to claim to be the oracle? If several people claim to be the oracle RIGHT NOW, which one do you choose?
    3 - How do you know which one of the "ones that died tonight" was the Oracle if you can't really confirm it?

There are 7 spies. It would be simple for 3 of them to "throw it in for the greater good" and pretend to be an oracle group.

Last game I was in, there was a pretender all the way (ArrBeeBee, you scoundrel. :-) ), so please understand that I'm a mite cautious.

I'm just saying here that we shouldn't rush things; your proposal is good, but I see some potential flaws in the logic. If we can iron those out, we're probably good to go.

A hoplite would simply be hurting everybody by claiming to be the third day seer, so it would have to either be a defender, seer, or spy claiming. And those are all fine targets for investigation.

It should be fairly obvious if he's the oracle based on the fact that it will say "an oracle died." There is only a very slight chance the spies will manage to hit a different seer, after all.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    thorgot wrote: »
    Oh, I totally forgot about you, larry. Maybe I'll change my vote later.
    I'm pretty sure everyone forgets about me. I've played 5 phallas and made it to the last round in every single one, including the ones where I was evil or manipulated into being evil.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Manning'sEquationManning'sEquation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like how in a democracy you can vote for or against someone based on what you feel and not based on petty facts. I feel like Dread Pirate Cassandra should have bent the rules to let me play in her phalla. That is a good enough reason to vote where I live... in land of the free and home of the brave. In Phallia our last best hope to vote not based on the facts but vote based on not receiving the special consideration you and your children rightly deserve.

Edit: Senor Fish has now drawn my aggro by voting for me.

Manning'sEquation on
    edited March 2007
    And now, a word from our sponsor!

Pie is good

And back to Manning'sEquation is petty.

Gorilla Salad on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I vote to execute Manning'sEquation.

What a jerk!

tofu on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am enraged and paranoid about the lot of you. I demand blood!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like how in a democracy you can vote for or against someone based on what you feel and not based on petty facts. I feel like Dread Pirate Cassandra should have bent the rules to let me play in her phalla. That is a good enough reason to vote where I live... in land of the free and home of the brave. In Phallia our last best hope to vote not based on the facts but vote based on not receiving the special consideration you and your children rightly deserve.

Simply shocking.

This is the first day, so there really is nothing that we can do except for bandwagon. But I like you, kid. I think a spy would have more finesse and tact.

Speaking of lack of finesse and tact, I !vote for Rygar

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Squashua wrote: »

3 - How do you know which one of the "ones that died tonight" was the Oracle if you can't really confirm it (for resurrection purposes)? We're going to get a "2 hoplies and one oracle died" but not a "bob the oracle died" message.

1 - The staffholder dying by assassin tonight has no bearing on my plan; there's nothing we can do about that. If they're the vote target, they may as well pass it off to someone they think is less suspicious rather than risking an assassin who voted for them getting it.

2 - If the villagers are paying attention (*coughRygarcough*) they won't falsely claim to be an oracle. Traditionally such a move is considered too risky by the bad guys, but if we have multiple claimiants then we've almost assuredly got an assassin on our hands, which is not really a bad thing.

3 - That's been addressed already; for us to make a mistake we would have to have a villager stupidly lie about being an oracle and get killed AND another, unknown oracle would have to die as well. This strikes me as unlikely, particularly if the hoplites can restrain themselves from being so terribly stupid.

As for 3 spies pretending to be 3 oracles, we will still have real oracles and so the pretenders would almost certainly be discovered. 3 spies is a lot to risk for a plan like that.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Three spies could get some milage out of the plan though if the oracles have to trade off visions. If ten people come forward and claim to be an oracle, it could take a lot of sifting and a lot of trouble to sort it out.

We should start by creating a solid network of Phallians.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In three days, the Greeks will begin their assault. I suspect that the spies will be able to increase their efforts after three days and eliminate more characters then, but also that the hoplites will gain some additional aid. Maybe someone could be blessed with the legendary skill Aether to take down the black knight Athan.

I'm for the idea that spies may be keeping low for the first days. As such, I don't want to make a vote until tomorrow, and wait to see who checks in and who stays absent. Even if we take out a hoplite, removing someone who isn't that active won't be too bad for the good guys.

(Once again, if you missed it: spreadsheet for your reference.)

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Right now I'm inclined to vote for Manning'sEquation because the last thing we need is a petty squabble to influence voting, even on the first day. But for now I'll withhold my vote in case any new shit comes to light.

Locus on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    You know we can actually talk and stuff before busting out the giant votes right? I know it's a novel idea, but it actually can work if people don't act like spazzing dipshits.

Also, Hades wouldn't take part in this conflict. That God was basically neutral and a non-factor in the Iliad. Now, Apollo, Hera, Athena, and many others...

Dynagrip on
    edited March 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Also, Hades wouldn't take part in this conflict. That God was basically neutral and a non-factor in the Iliad. Now, Apollo, Hera, Athena, and many others...

Quiet, you.

ElJeffe on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I retract my vote for Manning'sEquation, he is an ok dude and vote to execute Senor Fish.

Only an assassin would use huge fonts like that!

tofu on
This discussion has been closed.