As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Soviet Phalla - The Politburo Chamber

Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Critical Failures
Blatantly stolen from ElJeffe's Phalliad, we bring you the politburo thread! This is the secret inner chamber in which the highest ranking members of the communist party, the politburo, meet to discuss high policy.

The purpose of this thread is to make it easier for the politburo to communicate with each other away from the eyes of the Central Committee. Since it's not possible to send seven-way PMs, you get this thread. Here you can argue out when and on whom to use your powers, before eventually sending your votes in secret to Votebox via PM.

Only politburo members and the General Secretary may read this thread. If you are not currently a member of the politburo or the General Secretary, stop reading at this point.

The General Secretary should post her veto and execution orders in the main thread, not this one.

Aroused Bull on

• Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Current politburo members:

Locus
    Saburbia
    Smasher
    Technicality
    tofu
    Utsanomiko

Current General Secretary:

ElJeffe

spacer.gif

Aroused Bull on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yay. When do we find out our powers?

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Your power for this term is surveillance. Each round, you must reach a majority vote on who to investigate. Send your votes to the account Votebox. If a majority is reached, you will all be informed whether that person is a regular soviet, or a special/revolutionary. You cannot distinguish between specials and revolutionaries.

Aroused Bull on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    thorgot wrote: »

Soon, I'd wager.

EDIT: Now is soon.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Soon, I'd wager.

So soon it's in the past.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ok, question for RBB: Does that mean 5 of the 8 of us have to send in the same name?

I am going to throw out Lady Eri's name for surveillance. What does everybody think of that?

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ok, question for RBB: Does that mean 5 of the 8 of us have to send in the same name?

I am going to throw out Lady Eri's name for surveillance. What does everybody think of that?

Lady Eri can participate, but she does not have a vote.

And yes, 4 of the 7 of you have to send in the same name, or nobody gets surveilled.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited March 2007

A waste of time if we manage to get her power test set up. Since that seems extremely unlikely, though, she might be a good choice.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited March 2007
    Ok, so we should definitely discuss who we are going to target, and who Eri should target too.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think we should spy on ourselves personally. I think its safe to assume that there is at least one spy among us.

Unfortunately, I feel like that also means that whenever we seer someone who is innocent, the spies will know who has been seered and will execute that person. So basically, as long as there is a spy on the politburo, whoever we seer will probably die.

Also, it's rather unfortunate that we can't differentiate between specials and revolutionaries, because the spies certainly can.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
    edited March 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »
    I think we should spy on ourselves personally. I think its safe to assume that there is at least one spy among us.

Unfortunately, I feel like that also means that whenever we seer someone who is innocent, the spies will know who has been seered and will execute that person. So basically, as long as there is a spy on the politburo, whoever we seer will probably die.

Also, it's rather unfortunate that we can't differentiate between specials and revolutionaries, because the spies certainly can.

Wow, when you put it that way this whole thing sounds catastrophically depressing.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited March 2007

A waste of time if we manage to get her power test set up. Since that seems extremely unlikely, though, she might be a good choice.

It seems like a waste of time to me. Her admitting that she was one of the fixers is almost confirmation enough for me, because I think if she was an impostor the true one would have come out (their power isn't really that great, it would be a good move to do). Not to mention we will be attempting to get her to prove her power tomorrow, which theoretically should be possible. Any villagers that don't go along with the plan will be tagged as suspicious, at the very least.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    We are going to be testing her in a different manner anyway, so I think it would be better if we started investigating ourselves. That way we can uncover any spies that may have infiltrated our ranks. As a bonus, if we confirm that someone is not a capitalist traitor, then we can make sure to vote them into the politiburo in subsequent elections.

EDIT: Oh, so Gnasty posts before me. Well, I already mentioned this plan in the other thread, so it really is my idea originally. Hah!

DarkPrimus on
    edited March 2007
    Since we are the most likely targets for the capitalists, I think targeting regular politiburo members is silly. Lady Eri makes the most sense, because is the only one among us who will be protected.

Since the capitalists most likely know our powers, should we tell everybody else?

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Actually, on second thought, seering her won't give us anything; she's probably either what she says or a capitalist, which show up as the same thing.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Since we are the most likely targets for the capitalists, I think targeting regular politiburo members is silly. Lady Eri makes the most sense, because is the only one among us who will be protected.

Since the capitalists most likely know our powers, should we tell everybody else?
    I guess. I don't see how everyone knowing that we can seer could affect strategies.

EDIT: thorgot is right about the pointlessness of seering Lady Eri too.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why would it be unlikely to get the power test set up? We pick two people, and get them real close, I vote for the underdog, and then we wait to see if anyone tries to screw with it. Either way though, whichever gets the network going fastest works best in our interest. I am going to go ahead and throw out the theory I have been holding back, that multiple members of the politiburo are spies, as they are attempting to leverage as much influence as possible. They most likely have two, a candidate and 2 others to vote for each candidate (plus any saps that joined the vote for silly or unknown reason). Since no one in their right mind would vote for PrecisionK I say we use our round two survellience on him, and if he is guilty execute his supporters. They may also have a third person that garnered votes through considerable reputation, and there needed few or no spies to vote for them. Ardor and Eljeffe would be the suspects in such a scenario.

Seer me first if you wish, but keep in mind it will do no good as it just will tell you 'special/rebel.' I would rather not waste a power we may only get for three rounds.

Lady Eri on
    edited March 2007
    Alright, but what do we do if we seer someone and they come up positive? It is just as likely they are a useful special as they are a capitalist.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited March 2007
    I think it's very, very odd that DevoutlyApathetic got elected, since he has only posted twice in the main thread.

If there is anyone on the politburo who I say we don't seer this turn it's Ardor, because I think that spies will probably kill him tonight if he's innocent. If he does die tonight, I'd say he's a worthy target of seering (unless someone more suspicious comes up).

Also, Lady Eri: If I hadn't wanted to get elected I probably would have voted for precisionk. He's fun, and I think he demonstrated that he knows what he's doing with the G&T game.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
    edited March 2007
    Alright, but what do we do if we seer someone and they come up positive? It is just as likely they are a useful special as they are a capitalist.

Yeah, that seems problematic. If we have any revolutionaries in here, we will be handing them any specials we find.

Of course, that is really only a problem for tonight. Once Lady Eri is confirmed and the specials PM her, she can suggest known non-specials for us to check out.

EDIT: I'm forced to agree with Gnasty about precisionk. A lot of people are playing not just to win but to have fun, and precisionk is a reliable source of entertainment if he gets a position like this. Plus, he is actually a pretty swift dude. He's the one who figured out I was a mole in Red Scare Phalla.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited March 2007
    Well if Lady Eri shows up as innocent (which I think she will), she should theoretically know who all of the specials are very soon. So with that knowledge she could tell us if someone seered as a special is a spy or not.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
    edited March 2007
    After I prove my power all the specials will be in my network. I think Acidserra should be the one of the two we vote for today in order to prove my special ability, probably the one we execute since he is screwing around so much, we need another person who looks suspicious incase the rebels try to swing the vote with a 'oops I forgot about the plan or didn't read the thread and thats why me and joe voted for guy #2 at the last minute.' We need to pick the candidates, announce them, and then have a cut off where we ask people to no longer vote for execution so we can test the theory. Put it in bold and pm it to people who haven't voted, also mention not to switch the vote as well. I will be in class so someone else will have to perform these tasks.

Lady Eri on
    edited March 2007
    Wait, what do you mean "special/rebel"? Does the surveillance not distinguish between someone with a special ability and a rebel?

If we're suggesting candidates for execution, why don't we select someone who has not posted much/at all?

DarkPrimus on
    edited March 2007
    You'll be in class at the deadline tomorrow? That might be problematic..

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited March 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Wait, what do you mean "special/rebel"? Does the surveillance not distinguish between someone with a special ability and a rebel?

That's correct.

EDIT: I should have access for most of the day tomorrow, including near the vote, so I can be the Party Whip if I'm needed.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited March 2007
    Does no one read the rules? Yes, its a late class 7-9:45pm PDST. Theoretically we have a break at 8:30pm so I can run to a computer lab at that time, but its not something I am going to count on.

Lady Eri on
    edited March 2007

If we're suggesting candidates for execution, why don't we select someone who has not posted much/at all?

I already suggested Grundlterror in the main thread. He only has 1 post and I don't recognize him.
    Lady Eri wrote: »
    Does no one read the rules? Yes, its a late class 7-9:45pm PDST. Theoretically we have a break at 8:30pm so I can run to a computer lab at that time, but its not something I am going to count on.

Well, we can be the ones to manipulate the vote so your power will work its magic.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited March 2007

I already suggested Grundlterror in the main thread. He only has 1 post and I don't recognize him.

I'm in favor. I presume Lady Eri will be making the announcement?

EDIT: Actually, I think I'll just go ahead and vote AcidSerra. I guess we should be split 4-4, then we can make adjustments either way as needed.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited March 2007
    How about Senor Fish for second? (Well, first, but won't die after the power).

There are probably better candidates, but he never adds anything and he annoys me. (And he just voted for me).

EDIT: Nevermind, AcidSerra is a better candidate.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
    edited March 2007
    Grundterror and Acidserra, which one dies?

Lady Eri on
    edited March 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »
    How about Senor Fish for second? (Well, first, but won't die after the power).

There are probably better candidates, but he never adds anything and he annoys me. (And he just voted for me).

We killed him first last game, it's not very sporting to do it again.

I say Grundterror, unless he suddenly shows up and demonstrates some value.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited March 2007
    I don't think AcidSerra is a capitalist, the stunt he pulled seems a little too risky for one of them to attempt to pull.

So Grudnlterror?

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
    edited March 2007
    It doesn't matter, all that matters is that we have an accurate vote count and that Eri's votes make the difference. We can decide closer to the deadline which one will die.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Grundterror to die, Acidserra for runner-up after my two extra votes are counted. I would really like either DarkPrimus or PrecisionK seered this round, but this is strictly your domain. Furthermore, while I don't have to consult with you, I would like your theories on who I should execute.

Lady Eri on
    edited March 2007
    I love that 4 of the last 5 posts misspelled Grundlterror's name.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited March 2007
    Are we going to tell the general populace that we can seer?

EDIT: I think DarkPrimus is a good seering target.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    Here is my thought:

We want to establish a network as soon as possible, yes? With Lady Eri (who is either on the level or taking a really stupid risk) as the center, yes?

Consider that anyone on the council is very likely to be assassinated. If we seer people in here, and verify their innocence, it is very likely that we will wind up losing a confirmed innocent to the capitalists, thus shrinking the growth of our network. If we seer someone on the outside, we're more likely to add someone to the network who isn't going to die.

Now, in the event that the Capitalists do have a member in the council, then whoever we seer is likely to be toast, anyway. But the existence of a spy here isn't a given, even if it's not unreasonable to assume.

At any rate, I'm not sure of the value of simply seering council members. There's not a whole lot that's really special about us, and in three days, the people in here are going to change, anyway. I think we're best off just seering those who we think are suspicious and potentially useful to the network.

And now I'm going to disappear to play some more God of War 2. :)

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited March 2007
    I have no problem with being seered first, other than the fact that we are high priority targets as El Jeffe points out.

DarkPrimus on
    edited March 2007
    Let's seer precisionk.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited March 2007
    Fine, we can seer a random soul, but I am almost certain (unless the rebels are highly incompetent) that there is at least one, if not two or three rebels in this council. If two council members get executed, then they will undoubtedly have a huge influence. If they refuse to seer themselves then they are rebels and I will execute them, if they do then we can probably catch one or two rebels in the act.

Not a fool proof plan but it will probably prevent any rebels from executing members on the council if they are rebels here. The downside to this of course is that if there are rebels on the council they will manipulate this course of action. But I have given them enough to chew on for now, I will keep my own counsel on how I will 'clear' you all of being rebels.

Lady Eri on