As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black: Second Mission

LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
Some guy with a blog noticed a listing for "Black: Second Mission" on Criterion's web site, for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.
Criterion Games are best known for their Burnout series however a few years back they produced a game for the Xbox and Ps2 known as Black this FPS managed to get rave reviews even though it came from a company with little or no FPS background.

Well over on Criterion games website a listing has been noticed stating a game for release in 2009 known as Black: Second Mission which stands a very good chance of being Black's sequel.

This game is scheduled for release on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.

Although this is yet to be confirmed or denied by Criterion is stands a good chance of being real seeing as it was posted on their own site.

More details as they come.

I've only just came back to this post to find comments asking for a source however when I went back to the Criterion website the listing had been removed. So as it goes this is still firmly just a rumor. Hopefully Criterion will make an announcement of some kind soon.

As a result of this I would like to apologize to all those who are looking for a source as of now there is no longer one.

This story has also been posted over at Eurogamer Portugal to show further proof.

I've been wanting this game ever since I played the first one.

For those of you who didn't play it, Black was one of the most solid FPSs released last generation. It looked and sounded incredible (OST by Chris Tilton). It really well paced, and you really felt like you were right in the middle of an action movie. It had very satisfying weapons, and was probably the most cinematic FPS I've played.

It had a few problems (sometimes it took a ridiculous amount of bullets to take one guy down), and it was pretty hard, but I loved it.

If you missed out on it first time around, it is on the Xbox originals.

LewieP on

• Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Black had some very interesting concepts about sound design.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    I seem to remember the final room was so incredibly difficult I just gave up. Up until then the game was great fun.

Bogart on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Black gave me a destruction boner, but I felt being on a console really brought it down for me. I suck at controller shooters and my TV is old and small with no sound system. I enjoyed it, but I really missed out.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It would just be super if they added in multiplayer this time around

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hopefully Criterion, burgeoning with Burnout Paradise cash, can make this a more polished affair. Black was so unique and interesting that a sequel is pleasing to me.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »

Or even better - Just make the game as good as it can be in a way that they want to. For me, Multiplayer is not a requirement in the slightest, but if they think they can do something new and interesting with it, that would be great to.

To be honest, I don't think the first one would have been that conducive to good multiplayer. It was a fairly linear (albeit with branching paths) roller coaster ride. I can see how multiplayer would work. Maybe coop, but that would have a big impact on the atmosphere.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Cloudman wrote: »

Or even better - Just make the game as good as it can be in a way that they want to. For me, Multiplayer is not a requirement in the slightest, but if they think they can do something new and interesting with it, that would be great to.

To be honest, I don't think the first one would have been that conducive to good multiplayer. It was a fairly linear (albeit with branching paths) roller coaster ride. I can see how multiplayer would work. Maybe coop, but that would have a big impact on the atmosphere.
    Well I'd trust more of Criterion's design decisions if they hadn't turned Burnout into Need For Speed Underground with prettier crashes. But that's just me. I enjoyed the first one of these games and will probably play this regardless of whether there's multi or not.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Coop would be good, but either way this is so bought.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Co-op would be cool. But I get the feeling versus multiplayer would just be more of Battlefield: Bad Company. No point to it, really.

The first Black was awesome, so I eagerly await the demo.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's coming to PC? Sweet. I enjoyed the first despite the weird AI. The guns were so satisfying to fire. Black 2 needs more environments that are destructible and not scripted to be destructible. Oh and for the love of god I hope they don't do the "Leave the structure standing" crap like in Bad Company. If I want to level a building and fight amongst the rubble that's my choice.

Oh and lots of guns.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Black 2 needs more environments that are destructible and not scripted to be destructible.

You mean procedurally destructible?

Processing power has advanced in this generation, but it is still finite. Sorry.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's coming to PC? Sweet. I enjoyed the first despite the weird AI. The guns were so satisfying to fire. Black 2 needs more environments that are destructible and not scripted to be destructible. Oh and for the love of god I hope they don't do the "Leave the structure standing" crap like in Bad Company. If I want to level a building and fight amongst the rubble that's my choice.

Oh and lots of guns.

I remember an interview just after Black came out saying this is what they wanted for a possible sequel.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    Dr. JeebusDr. Jeebus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is there a projected release date, or will this came out around the same time as Eternal Darkness 2 and Duke Nukem Forever?

Dr. Jeebus on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Black had an excellent engine, built specifically to allow the player to shoot things and have them blow up real good. It had some excellent sound design, technically proficient graphics, and a theme composed by Michael Giacchino

Black did not have a reasonable difficulty curve, or any pretense at all about increasing the difficulty beyond increasing enemy health and giving them armor that blocked your shots, nor did it have a story of any merit whatsoever, or an ending

I might buy this if I feel like shooting shit and there's no other first person shooter in the entire store, but not for full price. Not if certain shit don't get fixed in the transition

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Black 2 needs more environments that are destructible and not scripted to be destructible.

You mean procedurally destructible?

Processing power has advanced in this generation, but it is still finite. Sorry.

I was thinking more...

Like this

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    After the devs played up "advances" made in the Geo-Mod system for Red Faction 2, I'll believe it when I see it in action in their third installment.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The Voilition team has doubled, and from all the positive beta feedback, I'd say they have.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As long as the guns in this one have their ejection ports on the correct side and don't all eject a hot stream of brass into my face whenever i'm firing, i'm there!

I kid, that's a fairly minor complaint. But it was an odd design decision.

Actually, one thing I really loved about Black was the way you couldn't even open doors, you just blasted them down with your shotgun.

FUCK YOU, DOOR!

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The shell ejection was a specific design choice.

I think someone from Criterion said words to the effect of "We know it is not accurate, but it looks a lot more badass"

LewieP on
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    major_tom wrote: »
    As long as the guns in this one have their ejection ports on the correct side and don't all eject a hot stream of brass into my face whenever i'm firing, i'm there!

I kid, that's a fairly minor complaint. But it was an odd design decision.

Actually, one thing I really loved about Black was the way you couldn't even open doors, you just blasted them down with your shotgun.

FUCK YOU, DOOR!

Yeah the ejection port thing bothers me as well :P It's like they pulled the left handed models from Counterstrike and just copied them.

I still enjoyed the game alot though.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    BLACK was really set in an alternate timeline where the majority of weapon designers shot left-handed. :P

Also, fuck yes I want some reckless destruction. Rocketing the fuel storages in the third (?) area and watching them go kaboom was awesome, even if it was blatantly scripted.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I respect some of the decisions made in Black, like giving every gun in the game ridiculously deep magazines so you wouldn’t need to reload except between fights. Too bad that I had to shoot every guy 12-18 times before he died; even headshots weren’t particularly effective. Frankly, I think that they should have left the magazine sizes “normal” and put in three times as many bad guys with 90% less health. What I wanted to do was run around spraying weapons fire in all directions, reaping the reward of dozens of slain enemies. I was basically looking for a John Woo-style experience. Instead, every encounter was a chore, and the only time you got to do anything cool was when the script called for it. Ultimately, the game play was so annoying that it detracted from all the other good things, like the excellent weapon models and slick sound design.

If however the plan is to improve on those awful design decisions, than I may well give this look.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I didn't like Black as much as I hoped. It felt really soulless. I understand the fact that the guns were the personalities of the game, but aside from their excellent firing sounds and animations, the general audio was just silent. There was no atmosphere, it was a linear trundle through a map where you can blow shit up, and it didn't even feel particularly fun at that. I played about halfway before my 360 red ringed and I never bothered to go back.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Black was a fun shooter

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I got Black recently. I imagine it would have been more impressive if I got it closer to release, it seems a little antiquated now. If they add some of the new FPS standards the sequel could be fun.

Trevor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Trevor wrote: »
    I got Black recently. I imagine it would have been more impressive if I got it closer to release, it seems a little antiquated now. If they add some of the new FPS standards the sequel could be fun.

infinite health? tacticool cover system?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Wren wrote: »

Fist-pounding?

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I liked that Black abandoned some of the typical FPS stuff.

I liked how it dealt with health. There were health Packs and first aid kits. First Aid kits were used automatically when you picked them up, whereas you would pick up health packs, and use them whenever you wanted/needed (you could carry up to 3).

I liked how when you reloaded, any bullets still in the clip were discarded.

LewieP on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ahhh, if only the 360 had PhysX. They could do some absolutely insane brick building demolition. I rented Black when it came out, never got to finish it. I remember it being hard as hell, but the fun far outweighed the difficulty.

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Fist-pounding?

totally, bra.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    I liked that Black abandoned some of the typical FPS stuff.

I liked how it dealt with health. There were health Packs and first aid kits. First Aid kits were used automatically when you picked them up, whereas you would pick up health packs, and use them whenever you wanted/needed (you could carry up to 3).

I liked how when you reloaded, any bullets still in the clip were discarded.

You played on Easy? :lol:

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm pretty sure Normal allowed 3 too, but it's been at least a year since I played.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    the riot shield guys. fuck them so hard

also that bridge level was the best bridge level in the history of bridge levels

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    WillybubbaWillybubba Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, Black. Really cool. Last room in the game was hard though. Had to play through it like 20 times or so, kept on dyin' almost near the end of it.

How's it in terms of backwards compatibility on the 360?

Willybubba on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Airan wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Normal allowed 3 too, but it's been at least a year since I played.

I think you're right, Easy/Normal allowed 3, Hard one, and Black Ops they were used on pickup. I'll fire it up at lunch if I remember, and check.
    also that bridge level was the best bridge level in the history of bridge levels

And I'll play the bridge level, of course.

"How the fuck do you plan on getting past all those swingin' dicks?"
    "By asking them politely, how the fuck do you think?"

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It's a while since I played too, but I am pretty sure you can always carry up to 3, but you only start off with 3 on easy.

I completed it up to the very last room on the hardest setting, but couldn't make it past there. It was made harder by the fact that the last level was very long, and you couldn't save mid level, although there was checkpoints.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    First time I took incoming RPG fire in this game, I was hooked. That was done really well.

Not having a bullshit third-person "cover system" doesn't mean you can't take cover. You just have to do it the way people actually take cover in firefights. By crouching behind cover or sidestepping around it. No magical third-person views, no turning your back on the enemy.

Zoku Gojira on