As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] Legacies (Game Thread)

ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Critical Failures
Welcome Group A!

This is a game thread for a game of D&D 4th Edition, DMed by me, your friendly neighborhood mindtaker (ooEEoo).

The Motley Crew:
Kalim - Genasi Swordmage - UEAKCrash
Sorych - Gnoll Barbarian - robp85
Darrak - Dwarf Star Pact Warlock - Arkan
Adrik - Dwarf Invoker - cytorak
Oren - Human Druid - Rius
Trahearn - Eladrin Artificer - simonwolf

If you can, please make sure you have details for all your powers (at least attack type, range, damage and effects) because I cant get on Wizards at work, but I can get on myth-weavers. We're gonna open with a low-level adventure and stay relatively modular, so if schedules become an issue we don't totally fizzle without closure.

In the interest of me not having to learn a new system right now, this will be a PbP game. This thread is combined IC/OoC - try to keep OoC in spoilers. rolls on invisible castle (basically, if you have looked at Denada's game, you've seen what to do).

The goal of this is to have a good time, tell an epic story together, and kick some bad guy ass. I have some ideas, some hooks, some fun twists and turns, but this is our story, and it will change with the PCs' decisions.

Feel free to PM me (or just ask OoC) any questions, comments, etc. Oh, and yes, I aped this entire opening from the other thread. Or maybe I wrote this one first. You may never know.

PCs will be expected to post once daily. Obviously if someone else is holding you up due to initiative order or I don't get a post/reply up until too late in the day for you, I understand. But if someone starts missing a bunch of posts, they'll be removed and/or replaced.

Setting background (this is more so I don't forget the names of any of these places than anything):
Starting Town/City:
River's Watch:
Ages ago, it was a supply outpost along the great river Thareyn, but it has since adapted and grown into robust city with the passing of time; beginning in one of the ancient wars, when the supply outpost became reinforced as a fort and barracks, to defend ships' safe passage out to sea and up to the larger cities inland.

When Humans first rose to power in the region, the town became a bustling trade city.

For interracial peace and to assure worldwide trade, the Humans later gave the eastern side of the river to the Dwarves in exchange for passage under the Umbril Peaks. Once there, the intrepid dwarves built a colossal stone archway between the two sides of the river, which still stands and is a focal point of local lore.

In the interim years, the town has swelled and dwindled nearly a dozen times with war, famine, and political upheaval being the most noted among the causes.

Recent times are little different, though a calm has settled on the town. The world has been recently (read: couple hundred years past) ravaged by a war that seems to have shifted the very Planes, leaving most people simply trying to live their lives in peace. Since the war, the world has been relatively turmoil-free; a few kingdoms have been reorganizing themselves, but most people are unaffected as of yet, including the town of River's Watch. And between travelers crossing the river via the bridge and the ships making their way up and down river, the town has settled in as a boisterous trading crossroads. As such, it is equipped with several Inns of varying pedigrees, and even has a tavern that isn't also an Inn (which is notable in that it's quite a rarity to prosper entirely on the profit of food and ale); it is the Cheeky Friar, which caters primarily to passing sailors.

The songs of the Last War still cut the night air in all the taverns, telling tales of lands across the Ocean, epic battles, and the heroes that fought them. These tales are never remiss to include the fact that heroes came of all races and creeds, and these same sentiments are seen on the streets every day; there is no consideration for race, only character (though one can frequently tell ancestral nation at a glance for most any race, such as taller, darker humans coming from the arid plains, while the shorter hail from the snowy south).

Recently, River's Watch has seen another group take up residence, members of the Historical Excavation and Lore Preservation Society (HELPS). They investigate the bardic stories from towns around the world and try to find proof of what kernels of truth may have birthed the legends. The group believes that the plains just east of the town hold some lost secrets. They have begun an archeological dig on the site and have already come up with sufficient enough finds that the Mayor of River's Watch is hosting their leader, Junah, and arranged with the Crimson Palm and the Golden Iris (two of the most prominent local inns) to house the group until further notice.
Overall information:
Map:
Agro.jpg
Planet:
Planes are traditional D&D setup, though perhaps with slightly less overt interaction. The planet is called Earth; easier than making something up, and terms like "Earthsoul" and "earthen" still make sense. The continent (Agro - yes it's named after the horse from Shadow of the Colossus) on which the PCs' civilization exits is huge - think Asia-sized - but the cold is to the south and warm, equatorial conditions to the north. Also, unlike Asia, where half of Russia is tundra or snow-covered, there is some tundra, then enormous snow-covered mountain ranges through which no one has ever fully passed, though that's few have even bothered trying (more than the first few mountains in, which do house some dwarven and goblin settlements, the sun doesn't even reach past the peaks and storms are frequent, making it too harsh to traverse). There are rumors of continents beyond Agro to all sides, but there is very little in the way of evidence.
Civilizations:
All civilized races coexist relatively amicably. This does not mean the world is without Evil, just that each race tends to dabble in such pursuits pretty equally; in fact, the groups with the most evenly distributed numbers of each race are bandits, followed closely by adventurers, major secular societies, religious organizations, and sailors.

Also, though it isn't uncommon to see just about any race anywhere, many locations have what were once racially-exclusive, and still racial majority, cities. For example, the Dwarven city of Untra, which occupies the caverns beneath a mountain of the same name, is home to mainly Dwarves (~40%) and Drow(~20%). Many above-ground non-fey-built cities are predominantly Human, because their comparatively short lifespans lead them to have more kids (4 kids/couple on average, versus the 2/couple averages of most other dominant races). For examples of Human-y cities: Caemlyn is about 60% Human, as is the seaside port city Bianca. Fey-built cities are, naturally, Eladrin and Elven-dominated, the two races accounting for more than 70% of the population of Nirava, while the desert town of Kah'mell is Dragonborn run.

Few are left that remember the Last War. Most who survived it were either too young to know what was going on or old enough that they've long since passed (it was close to 400 years ago). Even accounts of current events tend to distort much of the news (there are no telephones, so it's much like playing a game of telephone...does that make sense?), which is why HELPS was formed, to try and piece together the facts about the war and times before (many records of previous ages were lost when the cities were besieged).

In the rebuilding that has followed the last Age, there has been very little warring; militias of neighboring regions have occasionally disputed the edges of dominions, but investigations by regional commanders usually reveal it to be nothing more than a ploy for one side or the other to get a prime piece of farmland, hunting ground, etc. Most people simply try to make a living farming or trading, and devotion to many widely varying religious sects keeps most people just praying that no war does erupt, though political manuevering is starting to become prevalent in some areas, especially important trade hubs where tariffs are the prime source of native wealth. (note: Crime does exist. I'm just pointing out that there's no current global plight or major criminal syndicate. Yet.)
Magic:
The War was fought with more than steel and flame - Magic played a very large role. In the years since, it's been one of the quickest aspects of everyday life to rebound, thanks to the packrat-ish nature of most magic-wielders (many tomes and volumes of magical and planar lore have been easily recovered, though I'm sure you guys will find there are plenty still itching to be uncovered again).

It's not exactly commonplace to be a Wizard (or other magic user: this includes clerics, shaman, warlocks, etc.). A town the size of River's Watch probably has one resident magic-user who does fortune-telling, minor healing, and advises the local political powers from time to time. There are also probably a handful (on the high side) that could be trained, but most could never master much more than cantrips and basic healing spells. Even so, enough people can use such power, and enough functional magical equipment survived, that despite often being impressive everyday magic isn't really surprising to people (it's not "witchcraft" nor that sort of unclear LotR stuff; it's magic).

Some examples that are common knowledge of everyday uses of magic:
In Bianca, they have central rooms in most of their larger buildings that use magic to move between floors (called "Levetators"). Untra is lit by large, opaque globes on poles and mounted against walls throughout that provide light whenever anyone is near. Ocean-worthy ships often use magical enchantments or have resident Clerics, Shaman, or other magic users that can calm the seas and direct the winds. On the western side of the continent there is a group of islands that move up and down the coast hundreds of miles, some of which even submerge entirely from time to time (people aren't clear on why). There are plentiful magical creatures in the world, from simple wood sprites and satyrs to plane-shifting beasts, and many cities have still-functioning ancient wards barring vermin from entering.

Get your game on!

Your group is centered on the Crimson Palm. It's a decent-sized tavern, with a stout dwarf plucking a lute in the corner. A mixture of smoke from the patrons' pipes and the smoke from the pastries being fried in the kitchen hangs low in the air, and the music and mood are light. The ale is flowing and there hasn't been much trouble in River's Watch in recent time. Not even issues with bandits in the last few weeks. The Innkeeper, a cheery Dragonborn woman named Korinn, is bustling between tables and exchanging laughs and gossip with the regulars. In addition to the regulars, you see members of HELPS gathered around one of the longer tables with assorted merchants and older sailor captains sharing news and stories.
Feel free to mingle, get to know each other, enjoy a beer, chat up the NPCs. Something'll happen soon, but I figure it's good to give you a chance to bond first since you didn't even get a great chance in the recruitment thread. Expect an actual hook tomorrow

Themindtaker on

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kalim snaps to attention and signals to Korinn as she makes her way past for a round of ale for the table. He returns to staring whimsically at the dwarf lutist, following his every move. Kalim begins to sit up straighter as the song begins to hit a peak, and gradually slouches back into his seat as it returns to it's lull.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Trahearn, sitting on the corner of the table, takes a sip of his tea. The brew is strong and unfamiliar, and tainted by the pipe smoke, but it refreshes him somewhat. He opens his current notebook and re-reads the scribbled lines about his explorations that day - nothing major, but there was a quick flourish on one corner that reminded him to investigate the HELPS group.

Although he'd heard nothing conclusive, there were rumours and hearsay floating around - and those were usually the best sign that there was something good to be found out.
    I have no idea if the group is supposed to know each other yet or not - if it's up to us, I'll leave it to someone else to establish.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This certainly isn't my usual haunt, Oren thought, a resigned chuckle escaping him. A few of the closest patrons at a nearby table turn to him with curious looks, and he nods at them, smiling sheepishly. Strange to be laughing after what happened earlier... I can still taste the blood. Doesn't seem to bother me... Looking across the tavern, he can't miss Korinn walking around, and speaks up on her next close pass.

"A tankard of ale, please... and some of whatever's cooking in the kitchen. Smells good!"

A few more moments of polite conversation later, she moves on and he resumes his slow observation of the tavern. It's easy to recognize the townsfolk, but a few people catch his eye. Most notable among them is a bookish eladrin, standing out perhaps due to the notebook he constantly references and scribbles in. There's also a large group seated together, and he overhears snippets of conversation about excavating ruins, uncovering secrets, and things of that nature.

As Korinn returns with his order, he takes a pull from the tankard and stands up, carrying his food to a table closer to that large group, intent on listening a little closer. Could this be a coincidence? The event from earlier in the day, the sudden influx of curious strangers AND the group of explorers? However, his change of place is a little unusual and he can't help but attract a little attention from the more perceptive folk in the tavern.

Rius on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    One pool of ill mood exists in the tavern around a solitary dwarf seated at the bar. Not because of his choice of drink, which is poor- the cheapest thing the bar has, the sort of ale you'd expect to dissolve metal, far beyond what you'd call 'rotgut'. But no, his off-putting air comes from his tendency to jump any time another so much as touches him and his occasional muttering.

Darrak looks around nervously as he takes another long drink of the foul ale. How long had he been in this town?... Too long, he thought. Some of the faces in the tavern were becoming too familiar to him- a few in particular he'd seen several times, young ones no doubt running about on some foolish quest. But stay too long and their faces would start sticking in his mind, and then would come the visions-

He shuddered. No, better to leave before that started again.

He returned to the foul swill with a vengeance, shakily looking around all the while.
    I'm wondering that myself, though I'm gonna go with "no, we don't know each other yet."

Also just a word of warning, Wednesdays and Thursdays I may be slow to post as I'm either at class or in WoW raiding pretty much all day those two days. Still have more than enough free time to post at least once, though.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sorych strolled to the bar lazily. He had been in enough towns that the looks he got from others was natural, almost expected even. He towered over everyone in the bar and he felt his presence and stature was enough to garner some respect from those inside. His greataxe hung from his side and that too seemed to gather some attention. He came to a table empty of other customers. Korinn was busy bustling about, serving the other patrons when Sorych yelled to her.

"Hey Barkeep! Ale and some meat."

Without looking back at the dragonborn woman, Sorych got comfortable. He removed his greataxe from his belt and left it leaning against the table near his right hand. He did not feel... right... if it was not near him. He impatiently tapped his clawed finger against the table waiting for his food and drink.
    OOC: Alright, what's the plan here? Do we want to "meet" for the first time in the bar? I'm ok with that. I'd be willing to start the conversation with someone else but that would kinda be against Sorych's nature.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A gnoll. An honest to Ioun gnoll.

Trahearn had never actually seen one in person before. He'd seen a few of their corpses in various states of decay, and read various manuals on monstrosity that described their nature - but there was one right in front of him. It was a fascinating, bestial creature, shadowing over every other person in this inn. Goodness. If there was ever a chance to view one, start analysing its nature from his own perspective, this was it.

He quickly began sketching a picture of the creature, but remembered reading somewhere that the general gnoll reaction to unwanted watching involved a small measure of decapitation. Might be best to just go over to it and be diplomatic about the whole thing, he thought.

Tucking his notebook under his arm, Trahearn grabbed his backpack and walked over to the gnoll's table, coughed, and said, "Excuse me, sir, but I was wondering if I could... well, I'd rather like to talk to you about the nature of being a gnoll."

Korinn placed down the gnoll's order of ale and whatever the night's meat was.

Trahearn rather hoped it looked more edible than he did.
    Fake Diplomacy check: 1d20+5 = 20.

I really hope that beats the fake DC.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Kalim seems to have been brought back to reality by a pause in the music. The dwarf playing in the corner seems to be taking a rest for a minute. Beautiful instrument he has. I really should pick up an instrument and try to learn. Kalim thinks for the thousandth time.

He stretches his arms out in an awkward reach and smacks his mouth a few times. Taking a cursory glance around the bar reveals a rather interesting lot tonight. A bit busier than normal, the place seems to have all the races present and accounted for. A smattering of Dwarves, some Elves, Eladr-- Is that a Gnoll?!

Kalim's mouth hung open for a brief second upon this sudden realization. He had never seen a Gnoll before, let alone one sitting in a tavern patiently waiting for his food.

Definitely an interesting night for watching.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Korinn brings out a couple plates of the nights' roast (lamb, by the smell) and one of the waitresses makes her way around to each of you with your drinks.

Oren doesn't overhear much of note from the patrons, but he does see that the Excavation Society members are still covered in dust and dirt from their days' work.

Though several of you have never seen Sorych's kind before, the Innkeeper doesn't even bat an eye except to look appraisingly at his weapon.

Trahearn knows (via a ridiculous passive history score) that this town is actually somewhat used to gnolls, thanks to the exploits of Duomo, famed gnoll captain of the Epoch, a merchant ship that frequents the town. He's well-respected in town for having led his men against a group of pirates that attacked the docks one night a few years back. Though he's well regarded for his bravery, the tales of his savagery in dealing with those assailants may be why Korinn's eyes lingered on Sorych's axe.
    simonwolf wrote: »
    I have no idea if the group is supposed to know each other yet or not - if it's up to us, I'll leave it to someone else to establish.
    Yeah, I could have made that clearer but I thought it'd be more entertaining for me to just let you guys decide. It's really up to you all, whichever way you take it, the story will follow thusly.

And you don't have to roll for interactions with other PCs.

I'll wait for cytorak before the real hooks happen

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    And you don't have to roll for interactions with other PCs.
    Haha, I know. It was just meant to be a joke check, based on the fact that it's kind of an insane thing to do, on Trahearn's behalf.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Adrick orders a large meal and lights his pipe, blowing smoke rings into the stale tavern air.

He scans the room for a familiar face before resting his gaze on the gnoll. Will wonders never cease? he thought.

Noticing the strange looks the gnoll's receiving, Adrick decided to be the one to break the ice. He walks over to the gnolls table, grabs an empty chair, spins it around, and sits down, arms resting on the the top.

"You look like a man who doesn't give a damn what people think about him. I like that. Name's Adrick Stonehand. I reckon you're in town to see what these HELPers dig up, am I right?"

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sorych looks around him. He began to feel a little crowded and wasn't too pleased about it. It was weird to be in a place where people would approach him. He missed his empty table already... Sorych glares at the eladrin next to him.

Leave me alone, elf. I'm not here for an interview.

He turns his gaze to Adrick.

Helpers? What're you talking about, dwarf.

Sorych's clawed hand reaches out and grabs his stein. He takes a long swig of the ale and sets it down on the table with a loud THUMP. He had hoped for a quiet dinner by himself but that obviously would not be the case now. His curiosity, though, was pricked at the mention of HELPers.
    OOC: Nice diplomacy check, simonwolf. Unfortunately, I don't think Sorych knows what diplomacy is :lol:

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Darrak pauses in his attempts to drown himself in alcohol and half-turns in his seat at the mention of the HELPS dig. He'd had a passing interest in seeing what was going on there, for... many reasons, but a lone, ragged, shifty dwarf looking around at whatever artifacts they'd dug up probably wouldn't be looked upon kindly there.

His eyes pass over Sorych without a second glance- apparently it takes a lot more than a gnoll to faze him.

Despite his curiosity being peaked*, he still makes no move to join the conversation at large, instead choosing to continue to keep to himself. He's now facing towards the center of the room instead of his mug, at least.
    Yeah, Darrak isn't exactly Mr. Outgoing. He'll join in once I see what those hooks are... or if someone drags him into the conversation kicking and screaming.

*Peaked? Piqued? I don't know.

Arkan on
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    If you guys could give me a perception, insight, and/or streetwise check, that'd be nice. If you don't by the time I post the results, I'll either roll for you or take 10, depending on whether it would make a difference (ie, if the DC is 15 and taking 10 gives you an 11, I'll roll for ya, but if you can take 10 for a 16, I'll assume you passed, but I'll only give you credit for one of the skills so you don't intentionally avoid rolling)

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    First time using hidden castle, woo!
    Insight:
    1d20 + 6 → [18,6] = (24)

Arkan on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Whoo-hoo! I enjoy rolling. Too bad I normally have horrible luck...
    Perception Check (1d20+7=19)
    Hey, not too bad this time!

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited March 2009
  • Options
    edited March 2009
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Nice rolls. Trahearn was able to take 10 for an observation:

You all hear some raised voices from a table nearby. You're joking! one of what is obviously a member of HELPS proclaims in what sounds like outrage. He's at a table with two other HELPers talking to a pair of sailors in more hushed tones than most of the carousing denizens of this Inn.

EDIT: UPDATED WITH KALIM'S ROLL

Kalim, Oren, Trahearn, Sorych:
    You hear snippets of two of the HELPers' conversation when they suddenly turn away from the table, speaking in low tones to eachother:
    We can't afford...have...on foot...
    Junah'll catch...risk it. We should just grab more...pay our way.
    The excavators turn back to the sailors. All right, deal. We'll bring you the payment in the morning.

Oren:
    You catch the whole hushed exchange:
    We can't afford this extortion. We'll have to risk leaving tonight, on foot.
    Junah'll catch on if we miss the morning reports, we can't risk it. We should just grab more, some junk from storage. One more bag should pay our way.
    You also notice an odd gleam coming from something sticking out the side of one of the satchels on the floor.

Darrak & Adrik:
    The dust on their clothes, the oddly furtive glances, and the presence of their satchels makes you realize something is up. With the fellows outburst you realize that these three HELPers seem to be trying to book passage with the sailors, and you doubt it's for a reputable business transaction.

Feel free to discuss, muse to yourself, or act upon this knowledge as you see fit.

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Damn, missed getting my roll in by like a minute. Just got out of work.

Kalim's interest wanes slightly from the lute enough to catch one of the HELPS members yell out in anger. Kalim rest his hand on his broadsword, in case anything happens. He must not forget his guard duties, even though he is off and relaxing for the night. He forces himself to stop paying attention to the lute, as hard as it is, and concentrates on the ensuing conflict.
    Holy crap I've got some shitty skills Perception 1d20=17

edit: Wrong weapon. Heh.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sorych's ears perk up a little bit, listening to the group of people near him while he tears another bite from the meat in his claws. He chews slowly trying to understand what's going on behind him. He may not understand why humans are so interested in money but he did understand that the easiest way to get a meal around town was to carry around their currency. He sets the chunk of lamb down on his plate. Sorych just received his plate of food not more than a minute ago and it was already half gone. He pondered for a moment what he heard from the nearby table before asking Adrick:

Those the "HELPers" you were just talking about?

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oren stiffens just a bit, then makes a conscious effort to relax. What did I just overhear? They're planning to steal something... Looks like they already have and need more. Is that gold? I had no idea the dig had been so successful already!

I have to do something.

Thinking for a few seconds, he takes a casual look around the tavern. That eladrin fellow is up at the bar, talking... well, trying to talk to the gnoll. The dwarf with the hammer is there too; perhaps they'll know what to do.

Draining the rest of his tankard, he stands up and walks over to the bar. Leaning against it next to the eladrin, he shouts out for another drink, and after a few seconds leans over slightly and whispers;

"So, um... a few of those HELPS guys, I think they're trying to steal gold from the digsites. They just negotiated passage with the sailors at that table..."

Rius on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Two questions:

Are the HELPers that are causing the ruckus the only HELPers in here?

Which inn is the dig leader staying at?

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Darrak sits up as the details on the HELPS group come together in his mind. He'd never liked thieves to begin with, but his experience with long forgotten... things being dug up from the ground had made him uneasy about such things as well. If they were selling trapped or cursed objects to the unsuspecting... no, that wouldn't do.

He glances around. The group he'd noticed gathering around the gnoll seemed to have noticed them as well, based on where they were looking.

Darrak nervously edges closer to the group. He nods at them. "Er, you lads hear what those HELPS men are talkin' about? I think they're up to somethin'..."

Arkan on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    cytorak wrote: »
    Two questions:

Are the HELPers that are causing the ruckus the only HELPers in here?

Which inn is the dig leader staying at?
    If there are any more HELPS members, you can't tell them apart from the crowd, and no one else seems to have noticed or confronted the ones with the sailors.

The leader, Junah, is a guest of the Mayor. The HELPS deployment in town is being housed at the Golden Iris.

In other words, these seem to be the only excavators in the establishment.

As an aside, the Crimson Palm and Golden Iris are on opposite sides of town. It's not like they crossed the street for an attempt on sneakiness. If I can conjure or draw a map of the town tonight, I will, otherwise that should be sufficient for now.

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    "Hmm...yeah, but I don't think those lot are the upstanding members of the group." Adrick puffed his pipe a few more times and stood up.

"Follow my lead."

Adrick stands up and ambles over to the HELPers and sailors. He claps his hands on the shoulder of either of the two closest HELPERs.

"Couldn't help but overhear you gents planning to cut and run with some priceless artifacts. 'Spect your boss wouldn't be to happy 'bout that. Me either, for that matter. Hate thieves. So, what say you give me the stuff you stole, I'll return it to your boss, and you be on your way out of town permanently, yeah? No harm, no foul." Aldrik's hands crackle with electricity as he talks. Not enough to harm, but enough to get some punks' attention.
    This is going to end in tragedy, because Aldrik's terrible at intimidation. He's a boy scout though. :)

Intimidate (1d20-1=8)

See? Any and all backup on this matter would be appreciated! :)

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Seeing the Dwarf approaching the group, and seeing the electricity sparking off his hands, Kalim focuses on hearing through the noisy tavern and what the Dwarf is saying to the group. Something is definitely going on, and Kalim wants to be ready for it.
    Kalim unsheathes his broadsword slowly and holds it under the table, just in case.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Darrak watches as the other dwarf stands, stands up himself uncertainly, but stops as soon as the other dwarf says 'Follow my lead', which his mind automatically translates to 'Follow me if you want to get beaten when I do something really stupid.'

He hangs back, waiting to see what the HELPS groups reaction is before doing anything himself.
    EVERY DWARF FOR HIMSELF!

Arkan on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sorych watches Adrick walk to the table. Bold move, Sorych thinks. Though he is vicious in battle, he is also very loyal. Someone willing to steal from his own "pack," so to speak, evokes the feeling of hatred in Sorych that causes him to act. He would back up the dwarf.

Sorych stands and picks up his greataxe. He walks up behind the dwarf towering over everyone at the table. He lets out a low growl and glares at the HELPers. His growl, though, was interrupted by a sudden fit of coughing. When the coughing ceased, he continued growling.
    Intimidate check (1d20+6=11)
    Ouch, not so hot on this roll...

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oren winced at the bar after watching Adrick and Sorych confront the thieves. Oh, crap. Not much for subtlety, is he? Well, I should have expected as much from a champion of Kord. Better back him up, since I got him into this mess, heh. Though I'm not very intimidating...

Walking from the bar to the table, he leans on his quarterstaff and addresses the would-be thieves. "You boys are unlucky, you know that? Junah is well aware of your petty treachery, and asked us if we wouldn't mind bringing you in. Of course, he didn't specify as to your condition, which is a regrettable oversight on his part. I mean, when you ask a devotee of Kord and a gnoll to do something, it's pretty obvious how they'll go about it."
    Cytorak and Arkan, you guys made me lol at work. Going to be fun playing with two totally different dwarves, heh.

I will be leaving work shortly and won't be in front of a computer until almost midnight. I think things are going great so far!

Rius on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Kalim, seeing weapons drawn, and people advancing, decides now is the time to intervene. He stands up, broadsword in hand, and starts walking towards the conflict.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I think we're all waiting for something to happen. At least I'm waiting for some of the other player's rolls to come into play.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Korinn suddenly reappears from the kitchen and makes a beeline for the source of the commotion. she spins the Invoker around, clucking her tongue as she upbraids them each in turn. The would-be thieves stay motionless, faces going white, desperate to avoid being beaten and driven out of the city.

I don't know who you are, she says, looking at the gnoll forcefully as she turned her gaze to the others beside him. But I would expect more from one of Kord's disciples. And you, Oren, you're old enough to know better.

She is bustling you all toward the door as she brushes your objections aside. They don't look like thieves to me, they look like they just got in from their job and were looking to take a load off, and not looking for a bunch of rabble-rousers out for a brawl. You can take your business to the Friar if that's what you're after, she concludes as the door swings shut behind you.
    Remember, she's a dragonborn, and a firm one at that.

So all of you who stood up are now in the street, and not likely to be let back in anytime soon. Darrak's still in the tavern, as is Trahearn unless he wants to be out with the others.

Feel free to discuss your options. Darrak, (and probably Trahearn), you can stay put, keep an eye on the HELPS fellas or head out to join the others.

Oh, and there's been some discussion of "Backgrounds." The ones from the "Scales of War" article (Dragon 366) are fine, but the Forgotten Realms ones are out because I have no idea which of the locations may appear here. Most probably won't.

Edit: One more thing: until you use a skill, ability, or power, you can retrain it.

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Adrik straightens his clothing and slicks his beard down. "Hmmph...try to do a good deed, and this is the thanks we get."

The dwarf turns to the others. "Maybe we should find their boss and let him know what's going on." He begins walking toward the Golden Iris, looking back every so often (nonchalantly, of course) to see if any of them are coming with him.
    Based on my Charisma score, I'm thinking Aldrick Stonehand is going to be characterized as Robbie Coltrane playing Gil Gunderson from The Simpsons.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Things just keep going from bad to worse in this inn.

The tea's disgusting, the conversation's boring, the gnolls are rude, and right when you think something exciting is going to happen? The dragonborn host decides that there'll be no fighting on this evening, and pushes out half of the interesting people in the place. It was almost enough to make Trahearn want to leave.

Almost.

Once the mistress of the bar has left, he shifts next to the emaciated dwarf.

"If we're going to learn anything," he says, soft enough to be nearly covered by the inn's noise, "I suggest we stay for a bit longer. Listen. Watch. Then head out and make plans with those others."

Trahearn clutches his longsword's hilt a little tighter than normal, if only to reassure himself that he has it ready. There were few things in this world he feared more than a missed opportunity, and letting these two groups of people disappear from his world? That'd be the greatest shame of the year.

EDIT:
    Ugh, I am becoming painfully aware of the problems that my time zone difference is going to have on the game. I can try waking up earlier, dudes and dudettes, but the majority of your posting is happening between 4 and 9am, over here.

Also, regarding backgrounds - do you just want us to choose one, alert you, and add it to our sheet? I'll start looking at the Scales of War ones now.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Based on my Charisma score, I'm thinking Aldrick Stonehand is going to be characterized as Robbie Coltrane playing Gil Gunderson from The Simpsons.
    I think of all dwarves as a cross between Rhys-Davies and Coltrane. Adrik strikes me as more of a Carlton Lassiter than a Gil Gunderson, though; blunt, awkward, occasionally abrasive, but well-intentioned.

EDIT (response to simonwolf):
    Just add one. And, as I said, only one post daily is required, and I will do everything I can to make sure we're all on the same page before moving on. We'll settle into a groove soon enough.

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sorych sighs after being pushed out of another inn. What's with people not allowing a good bar fight anymore? he thought to himself. He would not allow the thieves to get away with this. After placing the greataxe back on his belt, Sorych follows after the dwarf. Might as well see what comes of this, he thinks as his long strides easily allow him to catch up with the dwarf.

You know where their boss is? Sorych inquires. What're we planning on doing with him?

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Would I have gotten kicked out, since I'm a guard of the city and all? If necessary, I can role play it as I told her I was just trying to keep the peace. If not, that's fine.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Would I have gotten kicked out, since I'm a guard of the city and all? If necessary, I can role play it as I told her I was just trying to keep the peace. If not, that's fine.
    She bustled anyone who was standing out of the room. If you want to make a bluff check to convince her you were just keeping the peace, that's your only way back in. Keep in mind, the wannabe thieves saw you standing.

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I think of all dwarves as a cross between Rhys-Davies and Coltrane. Adrik strikes me as more of a Carlton Lassiter than a Gil Gunderson, though; blunt, awkward, occasionally abrasive, but well-intentioned.
    Even better! :)

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    robp85 wrote: »
    You know where their boss is? Sorych inquires. What're we planning on doing with him?

Adrik shoots a sideways glance at his new walking companion. "This town has two good inns, and we just got kicked outta one of 'em. Golden Iris is our next stop. As far as the HELPer Extraordinaire, well, we tell him he's got a buncha sneaks in his outfit and where they are. Hopefully, they don't sneak out before we get back."

cytorak on