As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Twilight Imperium] Remnants of the Lazax - Round 4

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ah. I was just considering that to be a contract offer, not a final decision. After all, the trade goods had not yet been transferred, and Muatt had not reiterated a public pledge with his votes.

Hm hmm, Yin's poised to make a move up the power rankings shortly...

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, Darian, shouldn't you be at 4 Trade Goods now?

I spent one to make the space dock (last page), then gave one away, so... no?

Can't really move up when you've already qualified for a new objective this round.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, Darian, shouldn't you be at 4 Trade Goods now?

I spent one to make the space dock (last page), then gave one away, so... no?

Ah, indeed. I missed noting that expenditure.

Can't really move up when you've already qualified for a new objective this round.

And what would that objective be? Since I lost all my ships against Hermenegilde's attack on <New Albion/Starpoint> earlier in the turn, I technically did not win that Space Battle. And I'm not able to (nor would I) spend command counters from my Fleet Supply to take that objective...

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh... I was thinking you had the space battle objective this round. Huh. Maybe I will be able to catch up, in VP though certainly not in galaxy-spanning power and resources. (So many shock troops for you, so many War Suns/Trade Moons for everyone else. And... the Winnu. *waves* Hey there, trade buddy.)

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh... I was thinking you had the space battle objective this round. Huh. Maybe I will be able to catch up, in VP though certainly not in galaxy-spanning power and resources. (So many shock troops for you, so many War Suns/Trade Moons for everyone else. And... the Winnu. *waves* Hey there, trade buddy.)

Yeah, the FAQ says that winning a space battle means being the "only player with ships remaining in the system at the end of the battle". Since we both lost all our ships, neither of us gets a victory.

I would be happy with a similar result in this upcoming battle, however. :P

As for the comparison of power, you've certainly got a lot going for you. Lots of resources on your planets, and a nice cut through the center of the galaxy. And in a tie in terms of VP, you've got the advantage, holding more individual objectives than I.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Yeah, we'll leave the galaxy spanning power to other people and hole up in our corner, thanks :P

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So...how'd that battle go, OS?

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Are we waiting on anything? I guess there's the possibility of declaring action cards... I don't think I'll be declaring anything unless Muaat does?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    El Skid wrote: »
    So...how'd that battle go, OS?
    Are we waiting on anything? I guess there's the possibility of declaring action cards... I don't think I'll be declaring anything unless Muaat does?

Nope, sorry guys there is no more action that needs to be taken on your all's parts. I assume that El Skids decision to not use minister of peaces is now final.

I left for home on Friday went downtown and hung out with some friends until late, came back to my house anyway and played dominion until 6 am, then spent the rest of the weekend at my GF's parents' house. I have just now gotten back to a computer.

I will get a full update done soon.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yep, I already cyan'd my decision...battle on!

El Skid on
  • Options
    Lazax SurvivorLazax Survivor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Been working on an update but GIMP is pretty much terrible (sorry blarney), so it is taking me about 5 times as long to do anything.

It also fucked up all my grouped layers when i tried to import my PS project, so I am still fixing that up.

I'll get one up soon, but still taking me a while to get my document in workable condition.

Lazax Survivor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Been working on an update but GIMP is pretty much terrible (sorry blarney), so it is taking me about 5 times as long to do anything.

*shrug* It's free. Works well enough for when I need to use it, but then again I'm not doing anything big with it.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    This is fucking retarded. How do I only move what is in my selection box in one specific layer...

It either wants to move everything in one layer or the background behind it. What the hell!

The move tool makes me angry.

Make that 10 times as long as doing stuff in PS

edit: And how can I lock layers?

Lazax Survivor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    This is fucking retarded. How do I only move what is in my selection box in one specific layer...

It either wants to move everything in one layer or the background behind it. What the hell!

I just never use move... cut and paste all day long.

edit: To be more clear, if I want to move a token a little bit, I use the select rectangle tool to draw a rectangle around it, cut, paste, then drag the pasted object to the new location. Finally, click someplace else to deselect. There is a moment right after it is pasted where the object is outlined with the selection line - that is when you can move the selected thing.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I just never use move... cut and paste all day long.

edit: To be more clear, if I want to move a token a little bit, I use the select rectangle tool to draw a rectangle around it, cut, paste, then drag the pasted object to the new location. Finally, click someplace else to deselect.

That is terrible :(

edit: Time to build 2 gf and 2 fighters on Jol -> 3 hours. oiajdoifjasdfjoiasdfj

Lazax Survivor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

edit: And how can I lock layers?

You need to toggle the Move tool from moving Layers (the default) to moving Selections. The option is in the lower half of the Toolbox.

EDIT: No, wait, that doesn't work. I just cut-paste myself...

Not sure about locking layers...

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Okay, I hadn't really bothered to look into it. When you select the move tool, there is a panel at the bottom to choose its mode; change the mode to "Selection", then you should be able to do what you want.
    http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-move.html

Edit: And, as MrB commented above, no it doesn't. It lets you move the selection outline with that tool... why would anyone want to move the selection outline?

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Is there a tool that lets me click on a particular image and it will automatically give me the correct layer?

Lazax Survivor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Okay, I hadn't really bothered to look into it. When you select the move tool, there is a panel at the bottom to choose its mode; change the mode to "Selection", then you should be able to do what you want.
    http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-move.html

Edit: And, as MrB commented above, no it doesn't. It lets you move the selection outline with that tool... why would anyone want to move the selection outline?

When I did that it just moved my actual selection box, not anything inside of it... have you tried it yourself to see if that works?

Lazax Survivor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

When I did that it just moved my actual selection box, not anything inside of it... have you tried it yourself to see if that works?

Yeah... see my edit and MrB's comment.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    edit: Time to build 2 gf and 2 fighters on Jol -> 3 hours. oiajdoifjasdfjoiasdfj

If you have all the units on a single layer, I don't understand why you can't just cut/copy and paste them...
    Is there a tool that lets me click on a particular image and it will automatically give me the correct layer?

I don't believe so. You might need to just select the layer you want from the Layers window.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Yes! The move tool, in layer mode, has two choices: "Pick a layer or guide" is the one you want for that. It seems to just highlight the appropriate layer briefly, though, rather than switching the selection to it.

And there is a "lock" toggle just above the list of layers in the of the layers dialog.

edit: I have no clue what that "lock" toggle actually does.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

If you have all the units on a single layer, I don't understand why you can't just cut/copy and paste them...

I don't believe so. You might need to just select the layer you want from the Layers window.

Because then I need to Copy it, paste it, move it, then anchor it.

I'm used to being able to use m to change to a selection box and v to change to a tool that lets me move only what is in that box. In addition when I am on the v tool (hand tool) and click an object not in that active layer it will switch to that layer.

I am trying to figure out how to do something similar in gimp, since the copy paste option will take me twice as long and drive me insane.

Lazax Survivor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Yes! The move tool, in layer mode, has two choices: "Pick a layer or guide" is the one you want for that. It seems to just highlight the appropriate layer briefly, though, rather than switching the selection to it.

Yeah that was my problem, it just told me which layer the object was on, not switched to it. There should be an option for what I want somewhere, I hope?

Lazax Survivor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    And there is a "lock" toggle just above the list of layers in the of the layers dialog.

It locks transparency (it refers to the transparent checkerboard thumbnail to the right of the checkbox).

I'm used to being able to use m to change to a selection box and v to change to a tool that lets me move only what is in that box. In addition when I am on the v tool (hand tool) and click an object not in that active layer it will switch to that layer.

I am trying to figure out how to do something similar in gimp, since the copy paste option will take me twice as long and drive me insane.

Yeah, GIMP doesn't seem to be able to do that. I'm used to GIMP and not Photoshop, so I don't have experience with the shortcut tools you are. This page suggests that it's possible to do what you're hoping, but it doesn't quite work out like advertised...

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

It locks transparency (it refers to the transparent checkerboard thumbnail to the right of the checkbox).

Yeah, GIMP doesn't seem to be able to do that. I'm used to GIMP and not Photoshop, so I don't have experience with the shortcut tools you are. This page suggests that it's possible to do what you're hoping, but it doesn't quite work out like advertised...

I love you blarney. That page had the answer. Use the Rectangle Tool, then press Ctrl+ Alt and drag the selection.

Lazax Survivor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Okay, never mind! Use the rectangle tool (R) to make a selection. Then click the selection center to get rid of the selection handles. Hold Ctrl+Alt, and you should move whatever's in the selection.

I still don't know how to change the active layer by clicking on an object contained within that layer. I don't think you should be changing layers so often that you'll need that shortcut, at least with this game?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Now if only I can find a way to click on an object and move to the correct layer.

Lazax Survivor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Okay, never mind! Use the rectangle tool (R) to make a selection. Then click the selection center to get rid of the selection handles. Hold Ctrl+Alt, and you should move whatever's in the selection.

I still don't know how to change the active layer by clicking on an object contained within that layer. I don't think you should be changing layers so often that you'll need that shortcut, at least with this game?

Well the main problem is the way I had it set up. I re-set up everything in PS in separate layers so that I could collapse layer groups I didn't need until I needed them.

I have Command Counters in one layer, the position of the CCs hidden in another layer from the previous round so that I can quickly activate a system that a player activated the previous round.

I also have each set of units in a separate layer just in case I accidentally move the whole layer around without noticing, the damage it does is a lot smaller than if I moved every object around and didn't notice. I don't worry about doing this with CCs, because it is easier to notice.

I just like layers... a lot... because I find that the more organized I make something, the easier it is to use.

But when I opened the file in Gimp... it doesn't group layers ... so it renamed all my layers to like Muaat#1, Muaat#2, Muaat#3 (since i had a different layer for their units, shock troop colored with their race, and CCs) so I had to go back through and organize it so it worked with GIMP and wouldn't confuse me... that was what took up all my time. I was really only beating myself against the move tool for like 20 minutes before I decided to ask here.

Lazax Survivor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I may just want to merge everything to the same layer if I can't figure out a way to select the individually, quickly.

Lazax Survivor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh, I see. I was thinking that all the units from all players were in a single layer. That's how I would have done it, but then again GIMP doesn't have all the tools that Photoshop does to allow for grouped layers and easy switching of active layer. It makes having too many layers cumbersome, without the tools to easily change the active layer.

... this has been a very productive page, haha.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I think it might be best to move on to a new page and forget this one ever happened.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I think it might be best to move on to a new page and forget this one ever happened.

Agreed. Thanks for the help though guys, this is now usable enough that I should be able to finish up the update and then get battle results up.

Lazax Survivor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Activate Quann
    Move ESS Flames of Destiny, along with its 3 attendant flamelings and 2 ground flamers

Invade Quann if possible.

34zm7wk.gif

The ESS Flames of Destiny was nearing completion as the invasion plans on Quann were solidified.

3 squadrons of Flameling Class Fighters orbited Sakulag, protecting the Warsun while it was vulnerable during its critical stage of construction.

Commander Magmus was on the control deck observing the completion for his flag ship. The time for diplomacy was over. Luckily the talks with the Mindnet had been successful and the occupation of Muaat had come to an end. Magmus had tried to reach out to the Humans, but they seemed to recent the obvious differences between the two Empires.

Losses in the war had already been severe for the Muaat and this was their only hope. They must strike fast and strike hard, if they would have any chance of regaining control over their region of space.

Within minutes of the last stringer being welded into place and the last airlock tested for air leaks, Magmus ordered the Flamelings to break into attack formation.

The ships would break orbit in formation and strike at Quann with as little warning as possible. The Hohmann Transfer would take place from the far side of Sakulag and the ships would hit Quann orbit (hopefully) on the dark side of the planet out of sensor range.

The maneuver was executed flawlessly and the ships were now in Quann proximity without any notice from the Sol patrols in the system. They had gotten complacent. This was a good sign for the Muaat fleet.

Two flameling squadrons were sent to scout out the fleet movements of the Sol patrols, but as they made their way around the planet, they were picked up on a patrolling destroyer's sensors.

The warning was instantaneously sent across the Sol fleet as the destroyer powered on weapons and sent a barrage of Torpedoes careening towards the mass of fighters.

Luckily Magmus had sent the best of the Muaat army on this mission. There could be no mistakes. There could be no casualties. The Sol forces were weak, while the Muaat were strong. Today marks the end of the Sol reign of terror.

The Muaat fighters dodged effortlessly out of the way of the destroyer and opened fire from two directions as they easily out classed the lone Sol destroyer.

The Sol patrol fleet had received the warning and was making its way toward the fighters.

Meanwhile the Flames of Destiny had begun to carpet bomb the dark side of the planet. Alarms were raised on the surface, but there had been no time to enact any kind of planet wide defense against the onslaught that was raining down on them. Thousands of Marines were slaughtered before they even had a chance to react.

The Sol fleet approached the terminator of Quann from both sides of the planet, ordered to converge on the unknown threat out of sight on the far side of the planet.

As they came around and realized they had fallen perfectly into the trap set by Magmus, they didn't even have time to retreat and save themselves.

As the Flames of Destiny turned their guns on the Sol Fleet, the Flamelings picked off the stragglers. The Sol Fleet didn't have a chance. The Flamelings made sure to take care of any escape pods that thought they could escape their fate.

No one fucked with the Muaat and got away with it.

As the planet's surface lay in ruins, it was really only a formality to mop up the survivors and take control of the planet's remaining strongholds.

Combat Values (marked as blarney having hylar, he does not, but it didn't end up mattering)
    <Pre-Combat>
    Muaat:
    None

Sol:
    Anti-Fighter Barrage: 2@8 -> relevant tech: Hylar V Assault Laser (+1 on all combat rolls)

<Space Battle>
    Muaat:
    1 Warsun: 3@3 -> relevant tech: War Sun and Deep Space Cannon (for full powered Muaat Suns)
    (1 to 3) Fighters: (1 to 3)@9 -> relevant tech: None

Sol:
    1 Carrier: 1@9 -> relevant tech: None
    2 Fighters: 2@8 -> relevant tech: Cybernetics (+1 on all combat rolls)
    1 Cruiser: 1@6 -> relevant tech: Hylar V Assault Laser (+1 on all combat rolls)
    1 Destroyer: 1@8 -> relevant tech: Hylar V Assault Laser (+1 on all combat rolls)

<Bombardment>
    Muaat:
    1 Warsun: 3@3 -> relevant tech: None

Sol:
    None

<Invasion Combat>
    Muaat:
    2 GFs: 2@8 -> relevant tech: None

Sol:
    (1 to 4) GFs: (1 to 4)@7 -> relevant tech: Gen Synthesis (Ground Forces receive +1 on all combat rolls)

Pre-Combat
    Both Misses

Combat Round 1
    Muaat Scores 5 Hits and decimates Sol's Fleet, while Sol's forces seemed to be asleep at their post

Bombardment
    Muaat takes out 3 GFs.

Invasion Combat
    Muaat takes out 1 GF and takes control of Quann.

Gen Synth roll for Sol:
    Sol Receives 3 GFs on their HS.

Lazax Survivor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Map Update:
    j8fjuc.gif

Order of Play:
    (1) Leadership - Hacan - Rend
    (2) Diplomacy - Yin - Darian
    (3) Assembly - Muatt - Hermenegilde
    (4) Production - Winnu - El Skid (Speaker, Minister of Peace, Strat Plan)
    (5) Trade II - Mentak - Jeddicus and Etoychest
    (6) Warfare II - L1Z1X - Ryadic
    (7) Technology II - Sol - MrBlarney
    (8) Bureaucracy - Jol-Nar - Iron Weasel and Megazver

C-Tap (after Quann battle and Bribe to El-Skid)
    Hacan: (pass)
    0/4/1
    TAP: 3/4/0
    Leadership:X

Yin:
    2/3/1
    TAP: 4/3/1 -> 3/3/1
    Diplomacy:X

Muaat:
    0/2/1 -> 0/2/0
    TAP: 1/4/1 -> 0/4/1
    Assembly:X

Winnu: (pass)
    1/4/2
    TAP: 2/6/3 -> 4/6/3
    Production:X

Mentak: (pass)
    2/3/0
    TAP: 5/3/1
    Trade:X

L1Z1X: (pass)
    2/4/1
    TAP: 3/2/3
    Warfare:X

Sol:
    0/4/0
    TAP: 2/4/0
    Technology:X

Jol-Nar:
    2/3/1
    TAP: 1/1/0
    Bureaucracy: X

Blarney/Sol is active.

Lazax Survivor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    "The Stál-rekkr were completely overmatched against the Muaat assault."

"Yes, indeed. I had expected better from them."

"We'll be attempting to do our best with the revived units to perform better against the next attack."

"Of course. Let's hope the automations can learn from the battle to provide a tighter defense the next time around."

Pass

(Also, I don't think I have Hylar V yet... I'm the only one, in fact.)

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Order of Play:
    (1) Leadership - Hacan - Rend
    (2) Diplomacy - Yin - Darian
    (3) Assembly - Muatt - Hermenegilde
    (4) Production - Winnu - El Skid (Speaker, Minister of Peace, Strat Plan)
    (5) Trade II - Mentak - Jeddicus and Etoychest
    (6) Warfare II - L1Z1X - Ryadic
    (7) Technology II - Sol - MrBlarney
    (8) Bureaucracy - Jol-Nar - Iron Weasel and Megazver

Iron Weasel-Megazver/Jol-Nar is Active

Lazax Survivor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    (Also, I don't think I have Hylar V yet... I'm the only one, in fact.)

I could have sworn I double checked that too... glad it didn't make a difference.

Lazax Survivor on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yes, Head Academician, I've been informed of the Muatt counter-attack in Quann.

No, Head Academician, I don't believe there were any survivors.

Yes, Head Academician, I'll ask the Muatt if we can harvest the dead Terrans for stem cells.

Pass.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Activate Darien
    Move carrier with fighter from Vefut II to Darien
    Exhaust Lirta IV (3) and Bereg (3) to produce two PDS units, 2 fighters, and a destroyer

Yin:
    2/3/0
    TAP: 3/3/1

Darian on