As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the [adult swim] is not just for stoners thread

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I used to think that but it grew on me when I grew to appreciate the humor of it.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Space Ghost Coast to Coast pre-dates AS, doesn't it?

God, I love Space Ghost.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    MidnightSGMidnightSG Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I always saw AS following the same path of fame as toonami did. (funny seeing as how it was a spin off of it, like father like son maybe?) The golden years are about over and soon to follow will be, (not bad), but mediocre programing...all essentially leading up to it's death.

MidnightSG on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MidnightSG wrote: »
    I always saw AS following the same path of fame as toonami did. (funny seeing as how it was a spin off of it, like father like son maybe?) The golden years are about over and soon to follow will be, (not bad), but mediocre programing...all essentially leading up to it's death.

Oh man...that reminds me of how awesome Toonami was back in the old days.

You had stuff like Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho...then it slowed degraded into stupid shit like Bobobobobo-whatever the fuck and Zatch Bell.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I miss Space Ghost Coast to Coast.

Here's a man that knows what's up.

I remember AS first started. It was on Thursday nights from 11 to midnight, I believe, might have been 10 to 11. The "bumps" as they now call it was a lifeguard's voice make vague references to kids out of the pool while showing the side of a swimming pool. Very kinda odd. The original line up, I believe, was Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Brak and Aqua Teen.

And it was awesome.

Space Ghost Coast to Coast started way before Adult Swim was even born.

Like, way back when I was in second or third grade.

I'm 21 now.

Godfather on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah. I remember when Space Ghost would come on just when I was getting out of Elementary. I watched it every day.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah. I remember when Space Ghost would come on just when I was getting out of Elementary. I watched it every day.

I remember how much my dad loved Space Ghost and MST3K when I was a kid in the '90s.

[edit] Which reminds me - AS should play MST3K really late at night. God, that would be so awesome. They have room for movies in place of repeats.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I miss Space Ghost Coast to Coast.

Here's a man that knows what's up.

I remember AS first started. It was on Thursday nights from 11 to midnight, I believe, might have been 10 to 11. The "bumps" as they now call it was a lifeguard's voice make vague references to kids out of the pool while showing the side of a swimming pool. Very kinda odd. The original line up, I believe, was Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Brak and Aqua Teen.

And it was awesome.

It eventually expanded to every week night, then every night. The pinnacle line up (starting at 11) for me was Futurama/Family Guy/Birdman/Aqua Teen. That lineup would end at 12:30 then the anime would kick in and I'd go to bed.

Then they had to give time slots to shit like Tom Goes to the Mayor. :?

Back when they used to do Thursday Night Viewer Bumps, I was featured on one. I made some silly post on the [AS] forums in the "Viewer Bump" thread.

"Dear [Adult Swim]

Inuyasha Fans are creepy.

- JustinSane07"

It was during the transition from Futurama to Inuyasha and it popped on the air just as I was about to turn the TV off. I flipped the fuck out and couldn't believe it.

The good 'ole days.

I have seen that bump more times than I can fathom and will probably never stop recognizing it for the rest of my life. Crazy cool dude.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Space Ghost Coast to Coast was a good show with incredibly poor pacing that got worse and worse. It needs a Harvey Birdman-style revamp.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »

I remember how much my dad loved Space Ghost and MST3K when I was a kid in the '90s.

[edit] Which reminds me - AS should play MST3K really late at night. God, that would be so awesome. They have room for movies in place of repeats.

Much as I would love to see MST3K on TV again, all the licensing kerfuffle might just be a bit more than AS would like to deal with.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »

Much as I would love to see MST3K on TV again, all the licensing kerfuffle might just be a bit more than AS would like to deal with.

Yeah, it figures as much.

Which is so sad.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I remember when they started, didn't they start with Home Movies as they moved into the every week thing? Brak was awesome too. I never really did like Space Ghost Coast to Coast. Home movies slowly grew on me. Speaking of Home Movies is it on DVD yet?

Edit- AS needs to pick up Azumanga Daioh, some actual funny anime'd be nice.

There's a huge box set that has the entire series. My friend bought it a couple months ago from Moviestop, and it is pretty sweet.

Etch on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was heartbroken to discover Moral Orel only to learn that it had already been cancelled.

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't know if it's been talked about yet, but I just saw this show that FX is starting up. Something about an Archer.

Looks extremely similar to Frisky Dingo, most likely because it's created by Adam Reed. The main guy is voiced by Jon Benjamin so I get flashes of Coach McGurk in my head when I hear him talk.

Can't decide if the trailer is good or not. Seems like a re-tread of Xander Crews, only the guy seems more competent.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Cloudman wrote: »
    I would say that the main problem with this idea is that their new shows are an utter crap shoot, and that's being generous. For every Venture Bros there's a 12 Oz Mouse or Squidbillies or Tom Goes To The Mayor or any of the live action stuff or Xavier Renegade Angel or Lucy Daughter of the Devil or Assy McGee or Stroker and Hoop.

What I'm saying is that AS hasn't had a good new show since Metalacolypse, basically.

Ok, I am going to fucking fight you.

Come to your house, and make you eat my shit, made up of other peoples shit, made up of our shit, which will be made out of meat.

Squidbillies is fucking hallarious and is usualy funnier then ATHF is now. Unknown hinson is awesome and the writing is pretty spot on, with the Catch a predator one being a stand out.

There live action has been hit or miss, but you fail to fucking realize that not only have they played gems like Peewee's playhouse, but are now playing classic british humor like The Mighty Boosh, and The Office, with narration by Ricky Gervais. Hell we might end up getting red dwarf we play our cards right.

logic7 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    oh dammit...

oh well...

I was going to agree about Squidbillies. It's one of my favorite AS shows... Mainly 'cause I get a kick out of that harsh southern accent Early has (not suprisingly, that same accent, though less intelligible, is what causes LOL moments in the "Jack Meets The Scottsman" episode of Samurai Jack).

Outside of Squidbillies, The Boondocks is awesome, but they're taking entirely too fucking long with the third season. Stoker and Hoop was great when it was on. My wife loves The Oblongs. I got into Full Metal Alchemist before they stopped showing it and though I loathed it at one point, I started getting into Inuyasha. Samurai Champloo is possibly my favorite of the anime shows they've shown on AS.

Wolf's Rain goes down as the one show I would always catch on the SAME FUCKIN EPISODE... and it was a shitty episode at that so I never liked it.

I"ve been told Cowboy Bebop was awesome... I'll probably get around to watching it one day.

logic7 on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    boosh is really really funny
    FUTURE SAILORS is on my zune
    but that old greg thing they did is just... awful

I'm pretty sure all the nerds on the internet held a convention and agreed to pretend to like the Mighty Boosh in order to confound me.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm guessing somebody's already mentioned The Office.

One thing that confuses me about the AS lineup is that the anime they choose bears no resemblance to the rest of their lineup. I'm guessing it's an artifact of the old late night toonami block and old mission statement of providing stuff that can't be shown during the day, but the dichotomy of stoner comedy and shonen anime still seems very strange. For example, while I can see why they might not want to break up their schedule with a movie, I still have trouble believing that they let Dead Leaves, a work which shares production staff with FLCL and is exactly their sort of comedy, get snapped up by Animonday. I mean, I can understand why it might not want something as culturally heavy as SZS and how Azumanga Daioh might be the wrong type of comedy, but why not something like Desert Punk, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, Magical Witch Punie-chan, or Excel Saga? Hell, while not comedy per se, I can see Baccano! fitting in well.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    logic7 wrote: »
    I"ve been told Cowboy Bebop was awesome... I'll probably get around to watching it one day.

It's the ending that's awesome and wraps up everything in a neat package. While they're out bounty hunting, their ship malfunctions causing Spike, Jet, Faye, Ed, and little Ein to all fly straight into a sun. There are no survivors.

.....not really but the actual ending is still neat.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, Lupin and Shin-Chan didn't exactly go over like gang busters.
    I wish they had finished dubbing Lupin :(

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Lupin is one of anime's greatest characters.

logic7 on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »

It's the ending that's awesome and wraps up everything in a neat package. While they're out bounty hunting, their ship malfunctions causing Spike, Jet, Faye, Ed, and little Ein to all fly straight into a sun. There are no survivors.

I dig the show's vibe.

Yeah, and the ending is really good.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cowboy Bebop and Lupin are the only anime I've ever liked.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just watched the first three seasons of Venture Bros. on a whim this weekend, and goddamn was it beautiful. I might just watch it all over again next weekend.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    kedinik wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

I dig the show's vibe.

Yeah, and the ending is really good.
    ....Bang

ronzo on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I always thought Trigun was one of Adult Swim's better anime acquisitions.

I mean it was weird as fuck but the dude has a big-ass revolver and that's pretty cool. Plus the guy who carries a big cross that's also a gun rack/giant gun.

I don't know if I'd put the effort into watching it, since I've seen all of the original version, but I can see Adult Swim picking up the new version of Full Metal Alchemist at some point.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Most people don't seem to have liked Paranoia Agent, but I did. Preferred the original voices, though.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Omeks wrote: »

I always thought Trigun was one of Adult Swim's better anime acquisitions.

I mean it was weird as fuck but the dude has a big-ass revolver and that's pretty cool. Plus the guy who carries a big cross that's also a gun rack/giant gun.

I gave Trigun a chance. I tried to like it. It just wasn't for me. I like Cowboy Bebop and Lupin for the characters; I didn't feel one inkling of emotion for any of the characters in Trigun, or most other anime I've ever watched, for that matter -- but most other anime isn't a topic of discussion for the [Adult Swim] thread, so I don't want to derail in that direction.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm the only person who liked Paranoia Agent.

Paranoia Agent is by far my favorite Anime series. Satoshi Kon deserves more recognition.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    No, I liked Paranoia Agent as well.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Shin Chan is hilarious and if you don't like it, I don't like you.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    dude, season six
    handbanana
    grim reaper gutters
    the dickesode

that's probably my favorite season right there

Hmm...I'll give you those. But I guess my interest just peetered after that whole Boost Mobile thing. I'd already been losing interest and that just killed it for me.

Bus of the undead. Or video ouigi.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Most of their live action stuff is weird and boring. I tried to watch boosh, but it just wasn't that funny. I tried to watch the UK version of the office and it was kinda meh. Saul of the mole men is just stupid. Tim and Eric can be funny sometimes, but is mostly just dumb. The Jim and Derrick skits were the best.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    oh, Case Closed was a waste of airtime.

logic7 on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I liked Case Closed when I happened to catch it. I thought a lot of the mysteries were genuinely well-thought out. Didn't really get why it had to be about a de-aged boy detective, though.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Omeks wrote: »
    I don't know if I'd put the effort into watching it, since I've seen all of the original version, but I can see Adult Swim picking up the new version of Full Metal Alchemist at some point.

I really enjoyed the original version and I would strongly recommend following it. Once it splits off from the original it just keeps getting better.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I liked Case Closed when I happened to catch it. I thought a lot of the mysteries were genuinely well-thought out. Didn't really get why it had to be about a de-aged boy detective, though.

that was also a show that, every time I happened to catch it, was exactly the same episode...

logic7 on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh man, I forgot about Trigun. I'm not a really big anime fan, but the denouement in that shit was unbelievable.

I think I saw a little bit of Paranoia Agent awhile ago, and it creeped the hell out of me. That's the guy that did Paprika right?

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Trigun had a ton of filler and a dub that kind of removed the flavor of the original. (in a 'HOHO OH JAPAN!' way). But it has a really wonderful style and really imaginative locations and villains that its worth it in small doses. Then the second half with the GHG is where shit gets DEEP.

Its how I remember Wolf's Rain too, except WR had one of the best soundtracks ever.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    All I gotta say is RIP Captain Murphy.

Adult Swim hasn't been the same since :(

Still great stuff on there, though.

Nocturne on