As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime] Come for the ninjas, stay for the public shaming.

• Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pfft, "Hentai" is a cop-out. No KnJ? No KissxSis? There's some sinful manga for you.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm glad I started watching Basquash again. I can't help but wonder what the show would be like if the people responsible for the first 10 episodes were still making it.

I really want a good Basquash video game. The courts would be huge and ridiculous, and you'd even have a plot for a story mode ("Compete to earn the title of Legend!"). I'm not sure, but based on episode 18 I think that "basquash" might be the term for a character's ultimate move.

I'm also guessing that the final opponent in Basquash will turn out to be
    the gods themselves.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    School Rumble is like Archie. You know there's never going to be an ending and you don't really need one. This is the proper way to approach the show, I think.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009
    Joule wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Aroduc wrote: »

Depends on what you mean by 'ends.'

Won't you please explain?

It's a very open ending with regards to nearly all the relationships in the series.
    You might not want to read this. Ending spoilers
    The ending pretty much resets every relationship but one of the main ones and nothing is resolved. It's just oh haha wacky hijinks which I suppose fits SR quite well but for most fans you feel pretty unsatisfied.

Apparently the manga ends very differently, then. Based on what I've read about it I think I'd prefer the ending you described.

The School Rumble comic 'ends' nonsensically with a big reset and pie fight, and then it regenerates from the pissed-on ashes and limps along for about another year/10 chapters or so as mostly nonsensical "School Rumble Z" before the writer goes "uhh uhh uhh, jump 2 years into the future and here's an ending," which is what you described.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    School Rumble is like Archie. You know there's never going to be an ending and you don't really need one. This is the proper way to approach the show, I think.

I haven't seen it myself, but I keep reading that the series ends with
    Karasuma developing a memory disorder and Tenma moving to America so she can go to medical school and find a cure for Karasuma's affliction.
    Which sounds really weird, but I've heard that from too separate sources.
    Aroduc wrote: »
    The School Rumble comic 'ends' nonsensically with a big reset and pie fight, and then it regenerates from the pissed-on ashes and limps along for about another year/10 chapters or so as mostly nonsensical "School Rumble Z" before the writer goes "uhh uhh uhh, jump 2 years into the future and here's an ending," which is what you described.

Oh, okay. I think I'd prefer the nonsensical pie fight.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Karasuma developing a memory disorder and Tenma moving to America so she can go to medical school and find a cure for Karasuma's affliction.

This is part of the ending or rather the major event preceding it.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh my God, Basquash, oh my God!

mp1.jpg
    mp2.jpg
    mp3.jpg
    mp4.jpg

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Just looked at the list.

Yeah, this year is looking pretty generic anime-wise...

Wait for people's opinions on the other stuff.

From my glance at the season list I'm doing the same.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

This is part of the ending or rather the major event preceding it.
    There's also
    Eri needing to move away from Japan except she doesn't want to go so she gets Harima to pose as her fiance.

Except that nothing happens with it.

ERGHJASJKH

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Mr Perfect steals the show pretty much every time he appears.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I don't get why you guys are so hung up on a resolution for a bunch of retarded love triangles.

If you really must, make it up yourself.

Here: Archie ends up with Veronica. Even though Betty is better and probably hotter, he's broke all the fucking time and too bumbling to get a real job. With his sugar momma to rely on, life is good. Veronica keeps Reggie as a part time lover. Jughead is gay.

DONE.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I don't get why you guys are so hung up on a resolution for a bunch of retarded love triangles.

Here: Archie ends up with Veronica. Even though Betty is better and probably hotter, he's broke all the fucking time and too bumbling to get a real job. With his sugar momma to rely on, life is good. Veronica keeps Reggie as a part time lover. Jughead is gay.

DONE.
    I don't get why you're a terrible human being who can't enjoy Black Lagoon, but you don't hear me complaining.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    people have different tastes; more news at 10.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Personally, I'm a fan of murdering the hypotenuse.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kelor wrote: »

Mr Perfect steals the show pretty much every time he appears.

Ugh, I think I am going to have to watch more Basquash now.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm glad I started watching Basquash again. I can't help but wonder what the show would be like if the people responsible for the first 10 episodes were still making it.

I really want a good Basquash video game. The courts would be huge and ridiculous, and you'd even have a plot for a story mode ("Compete to earn the title of Legend!"). I'm not sure, but based on episode 18 I think that "basquash" might be the term for a character's ultimate move.

I'm also guessing that the final opponent in Basquash will turn out to be
    the gods themselves.

I dunno. I'm still hanging in, but this show has turned out mostly the exact opposite of what I was hoping for.

Instead of intense basketball robot action with sprinkles of cosmic mystery it's become cosmic mystery with just enough robot basketball sprinkled in to link to the other crazy things. Based on the last episode it finally looks like it's getting to actual basketball, but it took a hell of a scenic route to get there.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    SerpicoSerpico Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm still enjoying Saki quite a bit but with the very formulaic fights (especially with Saki herself, unlike many other characters her stupid superpower is pretty much just luck so they could at least make up different ways for her to win) and complete lack of any goal now that they've finished the qualifiers and won't be doing nationals, I'm mostly just watching for the character interaction.

I should probably watch DtB before the fall season starts but I know I'll never get to it. I've dropped much much better shows halfway through because I'm just not able to watch full series. Strangely I don't have this problem with regular tv-series, it's pretty annoying.

EDIT: For an example of how terrible my inability to finish completed series/seasons is, shows that I've watched and really enjoyed but never finished include Cowboy Bebop, Utena, Princess Tutu, Nadesico, Planetes, Welcome to the NHK, Aria, Gankutsuo, GTO, Twelve Kingdoms, Dennou Coil, FMP, Legend of the Galactic Heroes (though I'll probably get back to this, got to episode 33 before stopping a month or so ago) and many more. I'm perfectly able to watch mediocre or even terrible shows that pander to me if they're currently airing however.

Serpico on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kimi ni Todoke is a surefire hit, provided that it follows the manga's plot and plays up the comedy.

Miracle Train and Nyan Koi! could also prove interesting, and Blue Literature could end up being the best show this season if it actually works out as described.

I'll likely end up watching some school life fanservice show anyway.

Bleh

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Serpico wrote: »
    I should probably watch DtB before the fall season starts but I know I'll never get to it. I've dropped much much better shows halfway through because I'm just not able to watch full series. Strangely I don't have this problem with regular tv-series, it's pretty annoying.

Watch it for the super powers, stay for November 11.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »

DONE.
    I don't get why you're a terrible human being who can't enjoy Black Lagoon, but you don't hear me complaining.

I don't get how not liking a show about terrible human beings getting into terrible gunfights makes me terrible.

:o

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pfft, "Hentai" is a cop-out. No KnJ? No KissxSis? There's some sinful manga for you.

Gah. I knew what KnJ is, but I decided to look up KissxSis. Wow.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Zandracon wrote: »

I just looked it up, too. Haha, wow.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    From the description:
    Although they share no blood-relation to him, Keita begins to become romantically attracted to his two stepsisters

oh japan.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Wikipedia wrote:
    Kiss×sis's story begins with Keita Suminoe, a male third-year junior-high school student studying for his high school entrance exams. He is living in a home with his older twin stepsisters, Ako and Riko, who kiss, flash, and display their love for him in public. They help him prepare for his exams. Although they share no blood-relation to him, Keita begins to become romantically attracted to his two stepsisters and initially dislikes himself for it. Seeing this attraction, his two parents encourage him to eventually get married to one of them.
    Could be worse.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    From the description:
    Although they share no blood-relation to him, Keita begins to become romantically attracted to his two stepsisters

oh japan.

You forgot the part where his parents find out and encourage him to pursue a relationship with one of them.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    But not both, proving once again that Japanese people are less creepy than Mormons.

They do share a love of magical underwear though and have a thing for ancestry...

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Wikipedia wrote:
    Kiss×sis's story begins with Keita Suminoe, a male third-year junior-high school student studying for his high school entrance exams. He is living in a home with his older twin stepsisters, Ako and Riko, who kiss, flash, and display their love for him in public. They help him prepare for his exams. Although they share no blood-relation to him, Keita begins to become romantically attracted to his two stepsisters and initially dislikes himself for it. Seeing this attraction, his two parents encourage him to eventually get married to one of them.
    Could be worse.

It's worse than it sounds.

Let's just say that because it's an OVA, they can do things that aren't allowed on television.

But on the bright side it's perfect for a group that wants to watch and make fun of horrible anime. I use the second episode as a form of hazing :o

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    EDIT: I change my mind; don't read Koe de Oshigoto.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    On School Rumble, Z is all the over the place and doesn't resolve anything. I suppose the last chapter could be taken as the true end, I guess.

Anyway, I don't suppose the OP would mind editing in my revised recommendations list? I looked it over my list in the OP and was a little unsatisfied with it so I changed it around a bit.

Action/Adventure: Samurai Champloo
    Fantasy: Escaflowne
    Comedy: Ouran High School Host Club
    Mecha: Full Metal Panic!
    Romance: Eureka Seven
    Horror: Ghost Hunt
    Gundam: Gundam X and/or Turn A Gundam
    Action/Mecha/Henshin: Tekkaman Blade

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Slicer wrote: »

Wikipedia wrote:
    Could be worse.

Let's just say that because it's an OVA, they can do things that aren't allowed on television.

But on the bright side it's perfect for a group that wants to watch and make fun of horrible anime. I use the second episode as a form of hazing :o
    Sounds like a perfect School Days replacement.

Get on it anime thread!

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I read the Cross Game manga religiously, but I've fallen behind on the anime. I'll have to fix that.

I'm looking forward to Railgun, since she was way more interesting than Index.

Smasher on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Wikipedia wrote:
    Could be worse.

Get on it anime thread!

We might as well marathon Kodomo no Jikan while we're at it.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Wikipedia wrote:
    Could be worse.

Get on it anime thread!

I think we're well into Koi Kaze territory instead by that point.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Wikipedia wrote:
    Could be worse.

Get on it anime thread!

There are some depths I will sink to, but never that!

Never

Slicer on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It can't be that bad.

I mean, I've watched Kanokon.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You know those sorts of anime and manga where a character is introduced to something he or she's never seen before, like Genshiken?

Well, Koe de Oshigoto is like that, only instead of a guy joining an anime club its about a prudish girl being forced by her sociopathic sister to enter the wonderful world of ero-game voice acting.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009
    Chen wrote: »
    It can't be that bad.

I mean, I've watched Kanokon.

Man, that season was fucking terrible.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    For reference:
    The main story of Kodomo no Jikan is centered around twenty-three-year-old Daisuke Aoki, who has just landed his first teaching job as a grade school instructor at Futatsubashi Elementary School (双ツ橋 小学校, Futatsubashi Shōgakkō?). He is placed in charge of Class 3-1, where one of his students, a mischievously precocious nine-year-old girl by the name of Rin Kokonoe, develops a crush on him and goes so far as to proclaim herself Aoki's girlfriend. She aggressively pursues her efforts to be with her teacher despite the fact that he will lose his job if she gets too close, a situation further complicated by the often complex, intertwining relationships existing between them and their respective friends, families, and peers.
    Twenty-seven year old Koshiro Saeki, who lives with his father, is dumped by his girlfriend of two years, who claims he was too cold and she'd found someone else. While on a train the morning after, he sees high schooler Nanoka Kohinata looking at a button and crying. As she's later getting off the train, she drops her wallet and Koshiro follows to return it. Koshiro finds himself watching her sudden smile as she notices the cherry blossoms are in bloom. Later, Koshiro is leaving his job at a marriage-arranging company with a coworker when he encounters the girl again. Having two free tickets to an amusement park nearby, he gives them to her but instead she asks him to go with her. While on the ferris wheel, the girl explains that she was crying on the train because she'd been rejected by a boy she'd loved for several years. Koshiro ends up telling her about his own break up, and cries while she comforts him.

As they leave the park together feeling a mutual attraction for one another, they run into their father and are shocked to realize that they are siblings. Nanoka moved to Tokyo that morning to live with their father because it is closer to school, but Koshiro hadn't gone home the night before so he hadn't learned of her arrival. As they grew up living apart, they didn't know what the other looked like.

As the series progresses, Koshiro finds himself unable to rid himself of the attraction that he felt for Nanoka when he first met her. Instead, his love and desire continues to grow, despite his attempts to fight them. Entering womanhood, Nanoka also develops feelings for her brother, only increasing Koshiro's struggle.
    In near desperation, he moves out of the family home to remove himself from temptation and attempts to keep his coworker, Kaname Chidori, from finding out the truth behind his brusqueness with Nanoka.
    You decide, anime thread.

(No, seriously, don't watch KnJ.)

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kanokon has naked loli furries.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009
    Kanokon distinguished itself by the thoughtful and nuanced conversation wherein the plot required one person to lick the other's ass, and being told to just pretend that it was a cake.

Aroduc on
This discussion has been closed.