As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DDO] Dungeons & Dragons Online - Want people to play with? Top of the OP for info

• Options
    runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay, I rolled a paladin. How do I apply to the guild?

runaway_pancake on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    which channel are the DDO players on in the PA Vent server? Or do The Lookouts have a seperate server?

There's no designated channel really, just jump into a [strike]Game On[/strike] chat channel [until Mordrack moves them] and have DDO in your comment.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I hate that my cleric abilities that use Turn Undead charges can't be used on myself. D:

Henroid on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I hate that my cleric abilities that use Turn Undead charges can't be used on myself. D:
    Divine might can be used on yourself.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Here's another thing for Mordrack to get grumpy at me about:

I just now realized that Aid was pretty much a beefier Blessing, so I was wasting SP casting both spells.

Edit -
    Twitter wrote:
    Mordrack would probably scorn me for not noticing that one of my cleric spells also provides the benefit of another spell I was casting.

Edit Edit - dumbface.png

Henroid on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mordrack wrote: »
    Divine might can be used on yourself.

It also rules.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I just hit level 4 on my cleric, and I'm back in the same shiny +3 full plate I had on my paladin. I feel buff-tastic now with all the spells I have on me. Not the least of which is energy resistance. I was confused about how it worked game-function wise but the mini-menu that opens when you attempt casting it helps I suppose.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, my Cleric just hit 4 as well, so now she has Bane and Soundburst slotted, along with lots of AC / HP / Healing spells (and some Divine Favor for swinging her Hammer). It makes packs of mobs Soooo much easier.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wow, so the Compendium on the official site kicks a lot of ass. I'm going to modify the OP to incorporate it more.

Mostly removing a bunch of shit from the OP and just linking to the compendium. :P

Henroid on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Played DDO a hell of a lot this weekend to hit level 7 and pick up a +2 to all stats Tome. Currently in the process of completing all the quests in the Harbor on Elite. Here are a few things I've learned:
    • Buy the Huge Collectibles and Gems bags from the DDO store ASAP. After two runs of Shan-To-Kor and dropping every collectible I'd found to make room for real loot, I couldn't do without, anymore. They make life much, much easier.
    • The Loot Gems in the DDO store are addicting - getting Elite quality drops on Hard is great, and you'll earn money to buy useful stuff from the auction house.
    • Continued use of +20% to XP for 6 Hours potions gets expensive, unlike the Loot Gems.
    • If you're not a Cleric and don't want to pug, a Cleric contract equal to your level speeds things up considerably. Contract minions also stick around beyond their cutoff time if you're still in-dungeon.
    • Always carry around Bull's Strength and Fox's Cunning potions for those rune locks, doors, and levers you can't otherwise use.
    • If you have the means, always use Power Attack.
    • A minimum Jump skill of 15 will let a Halfling leap over a Man's head.

Doronron on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just can't get over how the mana system works. Run out of mana without a rest shrine around and you're screwed.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    ReitenReiten Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, my Cleric just hit 4 as well, so now she has Bane and Soundburst slotted, along with lots of AC / HP / Healing spells (and some Divine Favor for swinging her Hammer). It makes packs of mobs Soooo much easier.

Soundburst remains very useful for quite a while if you cast it w/ Heighten active. I used it all the way through the Vale of Twilight with fairly good success on my bard.

Reiten on
  • Options
    JaedlynJaedlyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I just can't get over how the mana system works. Run out of mana without a rest shrine around and you're screwed.

Playing a caster means you learn to conserve your resources. A wizard or sorc is common sense, but knowing how to work a cleric can be tricky. At higher level as a cleric you need to be careful of your SP, or you'll end up having to wand/heal scroll to heal, which is expensive. Sometimes though you'll get stuck in an awful group, if the group is really really bad, like they are running a quest on elite which they shouldn't be running on normal, don't be afraid to tell them its not going to work.

Jaedlyn on
    Some people are like slinkies, useless, but they always manage to bring a smile to your face when you...push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i think i'm gonna give DDO a try again, since I'm not playing another MMO right now.

I played DDO at launch, but have forgotten basically everything.

i'd like to start with a character that is good at soloing (doesn't have to solo endgame stuff, or "elite" level quests right away). i played a Paladin last time as my main and loved it, and wouldn't mind trying that again. Or a cleric. any suggestions?

also, does anyone have an actual link to "the batman" build i've seen things about?

i'm also interested in playing a monk. but not knowing the mechanics, i'm not sure i want to start out with one.

skippymchaggis on
  • Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey skippy, if you need to know anything about monk send me a PM. It is a pretty cool class and I have most of the mechanics down.

We could always use more healers so a Paladin or Cleric is very welcome, I would just try a bunch of classes out and decide what you like from there.

Jeix on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    also, does anyone have an actual link to "the batman" build i've seen things about?

Batman builds usually included at least 2 levels of rogue (skills (esp. UMD) and evasion) and several levels of paladin (immunities (L3) and saves (L2)). They were extremely common until they fixed Evasion so that it only works w/ the right armor types. You don't see nearly as many these days. Here is one thread with more info linked to it:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=137745&highlight=batman

As you can tell from the post dates, batman builds aren't exactly a hot topic anymore.

Reiten on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I tossed up links to the official compendium all over the OP, and cut out my dumb listing of pre-builds. After having a look at the compendium myself, I've gotta say it knocks the socks off the DDO wiki linked thus far; so much that I might stop linking the latter due to its incomplete and incorrect information from time to time.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The problem with the Compendium is that it rarely lists hard numbers, whereas the wiki does. The problem with the wiki is that not enough people contribute. There are only a couple people that have regularly updated it, so it gets out of date. I still find it has better information on feats, etc.

Reiten on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So how easy is it to find a group on Cannith? Once I get the 500 points owed to me, I'm probably going to unlock Drow for my whole account and roll a Bard or something.

Either that, or roll a Barbarian and unlock Drow on Cannith via favor.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ExidExid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone online right now that can invite to the guild?

Exid on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I fucking hate Taiming the Flames. In fact, all the House K quests are fucking ridiculous.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I fucking hate Taiming the Flames. In fact, all the House K quests are fucking ridiculous.

Yeah, respawning Fire Elementals can go die in a Fir...oh wait...

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I started playing this game recently with my RL friends. I have one general question now that I'm about to hit level 5?

It it more style to fireball my friends to death or cast stinking cloud on them and have the baddies kill them while I run away?

Also, is there any friendly fire?

I can't imagine D+D without it.

This game is surprisingly fun.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Whats the best / easiest way to get points to purchase monk etc without actually paying for it?

Exid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    If someone could add "Feyt" to friends and invite to the guild when possible that would be amazing.

Exid on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Without actually paying for it? Your best bet is to roll a character on each server and get about 50 Favor on each character. You'll get 100 TP per server that way through the one-shot Server TP awards (you only get these once), and this will get you to 600 TP. If you get to 100 Favor on each character (which may take a while), you'll be sitting at around 750 TP. This will take quite a bit of grinding, however (I estimate about 1 hour per 20 favor, depending on how good you are at running the adventures).

I'd highly recommend on waiting before spending your TP on Monk until Monk is on a discount day of some sort. Of course, I'd much rather spend the TP on adventure packs than the classes or races, personally. Just don't buy the Drow race. It does gives some advantages (Elves, but better, apparently), but it's easily unlocked at 400 Favor. Favored Soul takes 1750 Favor, and cannot be unlocked from F2P missions alone (which total to about 900 Favor max... you'll need around 8 adventure packs to unlock favor that high).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So by simply making 2 characters on each server I can get the points?

Exid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Er, I mean do I have to do anything other than go through the tutorial missions on them to get the points?

Exid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Exid wrote: »
    Er, I mean do I have to do anything other than go through the tutorial missions on them to get the points?

I thought it was pretty clear in the OP how you get Turbine Points. The first is every character you play - for every 100 favor you earn in the game, which takes some effort, you get 25 Turbine Points.

The quick way to earn some TP though is to sorta abuse the bonus system they have in place. It's only once per server, so aside from Cannith you only need one character per server to do this: every milestone in Favor you hit, listed in the OP, you are awarded 25 Turbine Points. It doesn't matter how many characters you have on a server; if you have one character and reach the 50 favor mark, and then make another and do 50 favor again, you just wasted time.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Favored Soul takes 1750 Favor, and cannot be unlocked from F2P missions alone (which total to about 900 Favor max... you'll need around 8 adventure packs to unlock favor that high).

Clarification - 1750 Favor for 32 point builds on that server, 2500 Favor for access to the Favored Soul class on that server.

I'm working up a Quarterstaff Rogue somewhat inspired by the Big F'n Stick build on the official forums. It's going to be Rogue 12/Fighter 6/Monk 2. Rogue 12 for the Thief-Acrobat II PrE, Fighter 6 for the extra feats and damage boosts, Monk 2 for the centered AC, Flurry of Blows, and weapon speed boost. Spent some time on it last night and discovered the stats I originally had in mind make for a poor Rogue as far as traps and such are concerned. This is take two:
    Level 20 Lawful Good Halfling Male
    (6 Fighter \ 2 Monk \ 12 Rogue)
    Hit Points: 200 (222 w/Toughness II)
    Spell Points: 0
    BAB: 16\16\21\26\26
    Fortitude: 14
    Reflex: 20
    Will: 15

Stats
    Strength - 14(22)
    Dexterity - 14(20)
    Constitution - 8(9)
    Intelligence - 15(16)
    Wisdom - 14(16)
    Charisma - 8(9)

Tomes Used
    +1 Tome of Strength used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Constitution used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Charisma used at level 3

Skills
    Disable Device - 6(27)
    Hide - 6(25)
    Jump - 6(30)
    Listen - 6(16)
    Move Silently - 6(25)
    Open Lock - 6(29)
    Search - 6(27)
    Spot - 6(27)
    Tumble - 6(18)
    Use Magic Device - 3(22)

Level 1 (Rogue)
    Skill: Disable Device (+4)
    Skill: Hide (+4)
    Skill: Jump (+4)
    Skill: Listen (+4)
    Skill: Move Silently (+4)
    Skill: Open Lock (+4)
    Skill: Search (+4)
    Skill: Spot (+4)
    Skill: Tumble (+4)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+4)
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness
    Feat: (Automatic) Attack
    Feat: (Automatic) Halfling Agility
    Feat: (Automatic) Halfling Bravery
    Feat: (Automatic) Halfling Keen Ears
    Feat: (Automatic) Halfling Luck
    Feat: (Automatic) Halfling Size Bonus
    Feat: (Automatic) Heroic Durability
    Feat: (Automatic) Light Armor Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Rapier
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Shortsword
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Shortbow
    Feat: (Automatic) Simple Weapon Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Sneak
    Feat: (Automatic) Sneak Attack
    Feat: (Automatic) Trapfinding

Level 2 (Monk)
    Skill: Jump (+1)
    Skill: Listen (+1)
    Skill: Move Silently (+1)
    Skill: Spot (+1)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+1)
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Dodge
    Feat: (Automatic) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Kama
    Feat: (Automatic) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Shuriken
    Feat: (Automatic) Finishing Moves
    Feat: (Automatic) Flurry of Blows
    Feat: (Automatic) Ki Strike: Damage
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Handaxe
    Feat: (Automatic) Unarmed Strike
    Enhancement: Rogue Skill Boost I
    Enhancement: Disciple of Breezes
    Enhancement: Rogue Disable Device I
    Enhancement: Rogue Open Lock I
    Enhancement: Rogue Search I
    Enhancement: Rogue Spot I

Level 3 (Monk)
    Skill: Hide (+2)
    Feat: (Selected) Cleave
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Power Attack
    Feat: (Automatic) Evasion
    Feat: (Automatic) Meditation
    Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost I
    Enhancement: Halfling Dexterity I
    Enhancement: Rogue Faster Sneaking I
    Enhancement: Monk Wisdom I

Level 4 (Rogue)
    Ability Raise: STR
    Skill: Disable Device (+3)
    Skill: Open Lock (+3)
    Skill: Search (+3)
    Feat: (Automatic) Defensive Fighting
    Enhancement: Way of the Clever Monkey I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Rogue Balance I
    Enhancement: Rogue Tumble I

Level 5 (Rogue)
    Skill: Disable Device (+1)
    Skill: Hide (+1)
    Skill: Jump (+2)
    Skill: Move Silently (+2)
    Skill: Open Lock (+1)
    Skill: Search (+1)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+2)
    Feat: (Automatic) Trap Sense
    Enhancement: Rogue Dexterity I

Level 6 (Rogue)
    Skill: Listen (+2)
    Feat: (Selected) Two Handed Fighting
    Feat: (Automatic) Uncanny Dodge
    Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost II
    Enhancement: Rogue Balance II
    Enhancement: Rogue Tumble II

Level 7 (Rogue)
    Skill: Listen (+2)
    Skill: Tumble (+1)

Level 8 (Rogue)
    Skill: Tumble (+2)
    Enhancement: Halfling Dexterity II
    Enhancement: Rogue Thief-Acrobat I

Level 9 (Fighter)
    Skill: Search (+0.5)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Two Handed Fighting
    Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Bludgeoning Weapons
    Feat: (Automatic) Heavy Armor Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency (ALL)
    Feat: (Automatic) Medium Armor Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Shield Proficiency (General)
    Feat: (Automatic) Sunder
    Feat: (Automatic) Tower Shield Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Trip
    Enhancement: Fighter Attack Boost I
    Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy I

Level 10 (Fighter)
    Skill: Search (+0.5)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Great Cleave
    Enhancement: Rogue Dexterity II
    Enhancement: Fighter Strength I

Level 11 (Rogue)
    Skill: Disable Device (+2)
    Skill: Open Lock (+2)
    Skill: Search (+2)
    Skill: Spot (+2)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+2)
    Enhancement: Halfling Luck (Will) I
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training I

Level 12 (Fighter)
    Skill: Spot (+0.5)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons

Level 13 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Specialization: Bludgeoning Weapons
    Enhancement: Fighter Attack Boost II
    Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy II

Level 14 (Rogue)
    Skill: Open Lock (+2)
    Skill: Search (+2)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+3)
    Feat: (Automatic) Improved Uncanny Dodge

Level 15 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Handed Fighting

Level 16 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Stunning Blow
    Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost III
    Enhancement: Kensei Quarterstaff Mastery I
    Enhancement: Fighter Kensei I
    Enhancement: Fighter Strategy (Stunning Blow) I
    Enhancement: Fighter Strategy (Stunning Blow) II
    Enhancement: Fighter Strength II

Level 17 (Rogue)
    Skill: Open Lock (+3)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+3)
    Enhancement: Halfling Luck (Will) II
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training II

Level 18 (Rogue)
    Skill: Move Silently (+3)
    Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Crippling Strike
    Feat: (Selected) Power Critical -or- Toughness II

Level 19 (Rogue)
    Skill: Hide (+3)

Level 20 (Rogue)
    Skill: Jump (+2)
    Enhancement: Halfling Luck (Fortitude) I
    Enhancement: Halfling Luck (Fortitude) II
    Enhancement: Halfling Luck (Reflex) I
    Enhancement: Rogue Thief-Acrobat II
    Enhancement: Rogue Dexterity III
    Enhancement: Fighter Toughness I
    Enhancement: Fighter Toughness II

Doronron on
  • Options
    JaedlynJaedlyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I so want to make a quarterstaff build and get this for the character, the concept is just awesome:

Breeze - +5 Quarterstaff: Telekinetic, Vertigo +6, Paralyzing, Dexterity Bonus adds to To-Hit & Damage

Telekinetic= Targets that suffer a critical hit from a telekinetic weapon must make a DC 17 trip save or be knocked down.

Jaedlyn on
    Some people are like slinkies, useless, but they always manage to bring a smile to your face when you...push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Jaedlyn wrote: »
    I so want to make a quarterstaff build and get this for the character, the concept is just awesome:

Breeze - +5 Quarterstaff: Telekinetic, Vertigo +6, Paralyzing, Dexterity Bonus adds to To-Hit & Damage

Telekinetic= Targets that suffer a critical hit from a telekinetic weapon must make a DC 17 trip save or be knocked down.

I've seen screenshots of it over on the DDO forums. It looks nice. Definitely one of the staves I'll attempt to acquire once I've got a character going.

Doronron on
  • Options
    JesusMcCheesusJesusMcCheesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, I don't really post here, or on any of the PA forums much. However, I just started playing DDO this weekend and happened to roll on Cannith, because it's the newest server. I'm currently just F2P but will probably pick up some paid content soon.

Rolling through the quests solo is ok and all but I can see it getting old. So, I was wondering who I should talk to for a guild invite? I assume just looking for someone who's online would be a good start. Also, any suggestions for a new DDO player?

JesusMcCheesus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    From what I can tell, you only get Favor for the first time you do a quest, or if you upgrade the difficulty from the last time you did the quest. (ie: solo 2, normal 4, hard 8, elite 12 = Run it on normal then elite, you get 12 favor, run it on hard 5 times, you will only have 8 favor).

Also, the best way to squeeze the most XP out of a quest is to run it up to 6 times or so.

If you hit "P" it will bring up the information on all the quests, it gives you a good idea of what level and size of group you need. (The rule of thumb I have so far is for every group member the summary recommends, you want that many levels over the minimum to run it on Elite).

And welcome to the game, I just started last week and having tons of fun.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The easiest way to join The Lookouts, I've found, is to simply press O, go to the last tab, and sort the player list by Guild. You can see everyone online who is also in the Lookouts. You can then /tell PersonInLookouts Hi! I'm from Penny Arcade! Are there any officers about?

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I used the link in the OP and went to the member list of The Lookouts, then just added all of the Officers to my friends list.

Then just checked occassionaly to see if any of them were outside of a dungeon to send them a tell.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stryker43Stryker43 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Don't worry about sending a tell if we're in a dungeon. If you see one of us online, just send the word and we'll make it so.

Stryker43 on
    camo_sig2.png
    XBL/PSN/Origin/NNID: StrykerFL GuildWars/GW2: Anton Firemaker FFRK: erNA
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ok so EU players, ive found out that the FTX error issue is that some ISP from europe are banned. Im on virgin media, and thats one of them. The solution is to ask a friend on a diffrent ISP to register you.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Update:

My Cleric on Ghallanda is now level 7 and I unlocked Drow (yay!) and made a Drow TWF Barbarian. House K quests are still a bitch.

I made a Halfling Rogue on Cannith, if I ever get him out of Korthos I'll see about getting into Lookouts.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So it turns out that Taming the Flames is the WORST GODDAMN QUEST EVER.
    EVER

Foolish Chaos on