Options

Step 5: Remove [DOODLES] from microwave, mix in content of flavor packet. [NSFW]

• Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    bombardier wrote: »
    That is quite obviously an energy canon of some kind.

I had thought of that and even if it was, there's not a lot of room behind the barrel for any kind of generator.

The generator is right there behind the cannon :winky:
    I'm talking about his wiener

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    UrantiaUrantia regular
    edited November 2009
    Please, those trying to defend my bullshit, stand down.

A. Indeed it is an energy cannon, it does not discharge solid munition, but this does not excuse the cockpit positioning. I was aware of it while doing the drawing, and I could round-about justify it-

"Well, because it is an energy cannon, the path from chamber to muzzle need not be straight! The conductive materials, turbines, solenoids ect. can easily wrap around the cockpit, or almost any other part of the tank! Indeed, if solenoids were at play here, splitting the path of the solenoid would only serve to double-converge the magnetic fields and therefore amplify the weapons power upon whatever output the solenoids are acting on!"

Quite, but, this is design, and if it doesn't read- then it just doesn't read. The man is in a bad spot. Fortunately, my saving grace is that the cockpit is a simple construction, and at this stage in the drawing process he was not even necessary because this is only a hard block-in of the tanks larger shapes.

So, before the final, he will be moved.

B. Crowl- Haha, the ladder actually telescopes, like that of a fire escape. You can't see it now, it's blocked, but it will show in the back view, where I will extend it to the top of the chassis with stepping.

C. I will try to address problems in the other points on my next overlays. Everything is just blocky basics right now so I have something firm to work off of. Things I plan on adjusting-

-The top turret has no fixings as of now. Will add batteries, secondary generators, outputs on back view, cooling fans ect. Gonna flatten off some part of the barrel as well, the stark contrast of form language is too much right now.
    -Will finish the wheels. They're just plastic shits right now, need gearing, teeth, cut lines details. Also differentiating the inside of the treading from the outside. Probably a track running through the dips in the wheels. Might also add a sync bar between two of em.
    -The front is slammed too low to the floor and would just tip the tank upon hitting a pebble. Will either raise it, or extend it forward and turn it into a plow (like the front of a train. More likely because this is for mining.)
    -Can't forget work lights. And a few more warning zone graphics. And this thing is pretty big, so it needs caution rails, especially around that hole above the exposed tread.
    -Detailing barrel interior with some reference form the Large Hadron Collider. And hell, gonna open some panels on the body too, so you can see some interior tech.

Gibs- What's a shot trap? I'd like to know for the future.

And yeah. Anyone else think of some cool stuff they think would belong on this thing? Tankin' requests! (Har har, get it?)

Crits!- Matt, I think the likeness is there. But being, basically, a head portrait, I think the eyes could use more love. They look pretty flat, more like hieroglyphics of eyes. The whites or the irises may benefit from some of the nice colors you're using elsewhere in the piece.

Urantia on
    Ignore the above.
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aw, i liked my assumption that it was actually a urine cannon -- it sucked in the urine via tubes, added in a few chemicals, so the HUGE amount that would come out would only appear mid-way through the shaft when the chemicals mixed.

Alternate answer, "its from the future, you wouldn't understand"

mully on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Urantia wrote: »

Just guessing here, but it is probably a spot on the tank where a projectile would be stopped. Inside corners, like where the turret sits on the base. Tank armour is meant to deflect incoming fire, so if you have any kind of angle less than 180 degrees, that's a potential shot trap.

bombardier on
  • Options
    UrantiaUrantia regular
    edited November 2009
    bombardier wrote: »

Just guessing here, but it is probably a spot on the tank where a projectile would be stopped. Inside corners, like where the turret sits on the base. Tank armour is meant to deflect incoming fire, so if you have any kind of angle less than 180 degrees, that's a potential shot trap.

Ah, I see now. Very logical. Good thing this is a mining vehicle. Lucky ignorance.

Urantia on
    Ignore the above.
  • Options
    deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    isit bad practice that i like and use the whole photoshop wont darken within the same stroke thing? Its kinda fun when doing those black and white doodles.

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I read that like 5 times and still dont understand the question.

Obilex on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    goddammit im sorry, been playing games on the internet and its made me all retarded. You know how with one fluid stroke on photoshop brushes, if you go over the stroke within the same movement it doesnt darken? I know now that can be changed, but what i want to know is if its bad practice to use photoshop to paint with the behaviour of the default brushes.

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I use default brushes *shrugs* It all comes down to how you use them.

Lexxy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Got my head topology almost down. All of it sculpts well in Zbrush except the ears, they'll need some reworking. After that all I need to do is study up on muscle and bone structure so I cam make some cool faces.

maleHead_2.jpg

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    done with this for now

lht.jpg

Obilex on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Looking nice Obilex! Her eyebrows a little muddy. I reckon make it a little more crisp and it will help the piece out loads.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    BAM, photoshop is fun, learned heaps from this thing. still a wip, probably will stay that way tho

bluedrag02copy.jpg?t=1259145663

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    goddammit im sorry, been playing games on the internet and its made me all retarded. You know how with one fluid stroke on photoshop brushes, if you go over the stroke within the same movement it doesnt darken? I know now that can be changed, but what i want to know is if its bad practice to use photoshop to paint with the behaviour of the default brushes.

It's not, lots of people do...I actually do, like, 98% of my digital arts using the default brushes. You just have to know how to use them, and that certain brushes and settings should be used less often than others.

For example: in most cases, you probably should not mess with the opacity of the brush stroke, unless you know what you're doing. It almost always looks bad.

It depends on what final result you're looking to achieve, of course...but usually I start with hard-edged opaque brushes, the change to pressure-sensitive opacity brushes (usually hard edged too), and then may do a few minor soft, super-transparent, large brush adjustments to larger sections of the image.

Of course, I switch around a lot, but this seems to be the overall trend with me.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Grass brush.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    wanker.jpg

Agentflit on
  • Options
    sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    thisplaceisaprison.png

quick self portrait... was going to blend the colours but i quite like the rough look of the brushstrokes

sharky t on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I feel that the construction is the worst part of that, Sharky. But the style and roughness is really nice.

If you took the time to carefully structure the face, it would look so much better.

The style reminds me of the GTA art.

F87 on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Please, those trying to defend my bullshit, stand down.

A. Indeed it is an energy cannon, it does not discharge solid munition, but this does not excuse the cockpit positioning. I was aware of it while doing the drawing, and I could round-about justify it-

"Well, because it is an energy cannon, the path from chamber to muzzle need not be straight! The conductive materials, turbines, solenoids ect. can easily wrap around the cockpit, or almost any other part of the tank! Indeed, if solenoids were at play here, splitting the path of the solenoid would only serve to double-converge the magnetic fields and therefore amplify the weapons power upon whatever output the solenoids are acting on!"

Quite, but, this is design, and if it doesn't read- then it just doesn't read. The man is in a bad spot. Fortunately, my saving grace is that the cockpit is a simple construction, and at this stage in the drawing process he was not even necessary because this is only a hard block-in of the tanks larger shapes.

So, before the final, he will be moved.

B. Crowl- Haha, the ladder actually telescopes, like that of a fire escape. You can't see it now, it's blocked, but it will show in the back view, where I will extend it to the top of the chassis with stepping.

C. I will try to address problems in the other points on my next overlays. Everything is just blocky basics right now so I have something firm to work off of. Things I plan on adjusting-

-The top turret has no fixings as of now. Will add batteries, secondary generators, outputs on back view, cooling fans ect. Gonna flatten off some part of the barrel as well, the stark contrast of form language is too much right now.
    -Will finish the wheels. They're just plastic shits right now, need gearing, teeth, cut lines details. Also differentiating the inside of the treading from the outside. Probably a track running through the dips in the wheels. Might also add a sync bar between two of em.
    -The front is slammed too low to the floor and would just tip the tank upon hitting a pebble. Will either raise it, or extend it forward and turn it into a plow (like the front of a train. More likely because this is for mining.)
    -Can't forget work lights. And a few more warning zone graphics. And this thing is pretty big, so it needs caution rails, especially around that hole above the exposed tread.
    -Detailing barrel interior with some reference form the Large Hadron Collider. And hell, gonna open some panels on the body too, so you can see some interior tech.

And yeah. Anyone else think of some cool stuff they think would belong on this thing? Tankin' requests! (Har har, get it?)

Crits!- Matt, I think the likeness is there. But being, basically, a head portrait, I think the eyes could use more love. They look pretty flat, more like hieroglyphics of eyes. The whites or the irises may benefit from some of the nice colors you're using elsewhere in the piece.

I've said this before with guns, and tanks (or anything, really) are no exception. You need at least a BASIC understanding of the subject's anatomy in order to make a successful design. Sure, you've seen tanks in movies and games and whatever, and you know they have turrets and tracks and armor, but you don't really understand WHY they look like they do. The basic anatomy isn't there, and thats the kind of logic that NEEDS to be there for a design (especially a mechanical).
    In military designs especially, nothing is simply "tacked on" because it looks cool. Every little detail, every little hole or handle or wierd bit of tubing should be there for a reason, and once you get a basic understanding of tank history and development, you start to understand WHY those details are there. Then you can use that knowledge to add to your own designs. Spend a few hours on wikipedia, or at your local library and bone up on the history of armored warfare.

A shot trap is an area on a tank where a shell can be redirected INTO the tank, rather than away from it. These are generally really bad, and most tank designs try to limit them as much as possible. Theyre usually found where the turret meets the hull. On yours, it's the giant gap between the two.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    McGibs wrote: »
    I've said this before with guns, and tanks (or anything, really) are no exception. You need at least a BASIC understanding of the subject's anatomy in order to make a successful design. Sure, you've seen tanks in movies and games and whatever, and you know they have turrets and tracks and armor, but you don't really understand WHY they look like they do. The basic anatomy isn't there, and thats the kind of logic that NEEDS to be there for a design (especially a mechanical).
    In military designs especially, nothing is simply "tacked on" because it looks cool. Every little detail, every little hole or handle or wierd bit of tubing should be there for a reason, and once you get a basic understanding of tank history and development, you start to understand WHY those details are there. Then you can use that knowledge to add to your own designs. Spend a few hours on wikipedia, or at your local library and bone up on the history of armored warfare.

A shot trap is an area on a tank where a shell can be redirected INTO the tank, rather than away from it. These are generally really bad, and most tank designs try to limit them as much as possible. Theyre usually found where the turret meets the hull. On yours, it's the giant gap between the two.

I want you to replace "guns and tanks" with "basic scientific principles" and print it out for yourself as a reference for the next time you make a sci fi comic.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    fuckoff, I was 16.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    fuckoff, I was 16.

The fuck you were. I'm talking about that guy in the egg suit you made like a year ago

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It's a BASIC understanding, not a fucking doctorate in physics. I couldn't design fully functional blueprints for a working battle tank, and I can't design flaw-proof self-contained survival suit, but I know enough to make a competent design that works for what I needed it for. And that was a fucking story.

Sorry if there were too many tiny nits for you to pick.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm working on this sucker:

kakwip.jpg

The problem is I'm pretty sure you can't tell that what he's holding is a harmonica. Does anyone have any ideas how I could make it more identifiable?

kakwipharmonica.jpg

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It's a BASIC understanding, not a fucking doctorate in physics. I couldn't design fully functional blueprints for a working battle tank, and I can't design flaw-proof self-contained survival suit, but I know enough to make a competent design that works for what I needed it for. And that was a fucking story.

Sorry if there were too many tiny nits for you to pick.

HOW DO YOU LIKE IT WHEN THE SHOE'S ON THE OTHER FOOT!

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Conversation's over, metal.
    Get your internet-asshole boner someplace else.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

God damn, dude, I was just messing with you.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't like the numbers being so prominent on the harmonica. I think stressing the bevel shape where the mouth goes would help.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

pwnd.

F87 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    F87 wrote: »

pwnd.

hey.

Shut up.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    lyrium wrote: »
    I'm working on this sucker:

kakwip.jpg

The problem is I'm pretty sure you can't tell that what he's holding is a harmonica. Does anyone have any ideas how I could make it more identifiable?

kakwipharmonica.jpg

Write "Harmonica" on it. :P

LittleBoots on

• Options
    edited November 2009
    fixed it for ya

kakwipcopy.jpg

Obilex on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    F87 wrote: »

pwnd.

hey.

Shut up.
    That sounds like a fantastic idea for all of you.

bombardier on
  • Options
    CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Right now the Harmonica just looks like a box. Traditional harmonicas have more shape to them, maybe work with that.

harmonica-2.gif

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pfffft...

Armilus_Doodle_by_Buckwolfe.png

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    hmm, that's a good idea to make it more of a distinctive shape. I was just working off of this instrument_harmonica.jpg

Here's where it's at now:

kakwip2.jpg

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    sorry dude i thought it was a ruler....

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I heart trolls.

trolls.jpg

Lexxy on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i did a doodle for bombs

yipyip.png

mully on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    He looks like he's posing so delicately!

Though he really is a gentle giant.

CheerfulBear on
This discussion has been closed.