As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] New Calculator w/ Regional Prices (Page 98)

• Options
    SherlokSherlok Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hmm, Mirror's Edge for 5 bucks is tempting, does anyone know how the pc port is, is it any good? I have the 360 wireless controller adaptor for my pc, so I'm not too worried about controls.

I found the game to be infinitely frustrating with the controller on the 360, it seems like a game that lends itself well to being able to turn quickly.

I'm praying it the KBaM can turn it into a respectable game, I wanted to like it so much.

That said, if you have a new-ish Nvidia card I believe it supports PhysX fun.

Wasn't Section8 supposed to be like Tribes? Was it close? Was it any amount of decent?

Sherlok on
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hmm, Mirror's Edge for 5 bucks is tempting, does anyone know how the pc port is, is it any good? I have the 360 wireless controller adaptor for my pc, so I'm not too worried about controls.

This is off topic, but where did you find that damn thing? I've looked for it everywhere. It might have to do with the fact I live in Canada though..?

remlap13 on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    People definately need to buy Mirror's Edge. I am thinking of getting it just to have it on Steam, because I don't like the EA downloader.

Riddick is great too.

Quantz is an uninteresting, but pretty as hell match 3 (or is it 4) puzzle game. Presented very well, but paper thin.

Call of Juarez is not discounted any way near enough for me to be interested in it.

LewieP on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    w00dm4n wrote: »
    is Riddick any good?
    If you haven't played the original. GET THAT SHIT.

Hoz on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

It runs and looks great. Just be sure to turn off the Physx stuff if you have an ATI card. It's enabled by default for some reason and it'll kill performance when glass shatters. Like FPS's I prefer playing ME with mouse and keyboard, but if you really want to use it, it works fine with the 360 controller.

Peewi on
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    is Riddick any good?

For that price it's every bit worth it for Butcher Bay alone especially if you have never played it. Dark Athena wasn't quite as spectacular but the whole package is worth $10.00 easily.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hoz wrote: »
    is Riddick any good?
    If you haven't played the original. GET THAT SHIT.

I got that from the d2d anniversery $5 sale and I still haven't gotten around to playing it. I think I got pissed off when a guard spotted me as soon as i started the game without me or my shadow being anywhere near his line of sight and not being able to take the other guard from the room before's gun because of some bullshit fingerprint id gun. Plus I had to see how bioshock was which I also picked up from the sale.

I'm thinking monkey Island for me today... Especially because I'm at the end of batman in only two days

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What exactly gets updated with Butcher's Bay in Dark Athena? Just the graphics?

Hoz on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No Prototype, then.

Hiss, boo.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Does Mirror's Edge for PC have GFWL achievements? If so, for $5, I might buy it.

It is not a GFWL game, but it's still a good game.
    remlap13 wrote: »

This is off topic, but where did you find that damn thing? I've looked for it everywhere. It might have to do with the fact I live in Canada though..?

I've read on here that Microsoft has stopped making them.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    remlap13 wrote: »

Amazon.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Picked up Evil Genius as a gift for my girlfriend, hehe. Steam is so awesome for stuff like that.

I'm considering digitally shelving it for myself and also the Riddick game, since I never played the original.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hoz wrote: »
    What exactly gets updated with Butcher's Bay in Dark Athena? Just the graphics?

Well, yes, but it's not just a graphic lift, it is a new engine, and all new assets iirc. It is plenty prettier (not that the old game had aged badly in terms of graphics anyway.

If you have played the original, it isn't all that essential, but if you really liked the original, and ever want to replay it, this is the version to replay.

If you've never played it, then it really is a must play.

LewieP on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Not Steam, but related: Impulse has Bullet Candy for $2, apparently Geometry Wars-esque. Anyone played it? Worth it?

Also, totally in for Monkey Island, I've already played ME so I'll skip it.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It seems Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery is full price (£35) in the UK.

LewieP on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    Ghostbusters is really not made to be played with a mouse and keyboard. Look acceleration is still active in the PC version, which makes my mousing forearm hurt it's so unintuitive. Then there are game mechanics that require constant left or right look input, which is super easy to do with a console controller, but maddeningly irritating to do with a mouse.

Did they evern fucking playtest this shit?

While I found I had to wrestle with the game a little, I found a few spots where it was just buggy. Events that wouldn't trigger were my biggest problem. I had to do parts of Times Square repeatedly because events I read about on Gamefaqs just failed to occur, so we'd all stand around Ecto-1 with our proton pack wands up our asses.

Also, I've turned down the graphics a little, as it seems my poor system that was bought around 2.5 years ago is finally showing its age a little, but I'm enjoying it all the same. Probably related, but the level loading times just seem to take forever, but I suppose my 2 gigs of Ram and dual-core *something unimpressive* just isn't quite cutting it anymore.

Mirror's Edge and Evil Genius might be on my list. Figure if I'm going to bury myself in a sudden backlog, might as well go all the way.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    TheBanaTheBana Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Can someone post the list with prices in pounds? The website is being hammered and I'm using my phone atm.

Tempted by Mirror's Edge and Monkey Island (is Evil Genius good?)

If the GBP prices are good I'll start up the desktop PC and pick up all three after I've done the ironing.

TheBana on
    Monster Hunter Tri - TheBana/FZVK6U; Skype - TheBana84;
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mirror's Edge on PC is absolutely worth 5$. I greatly prefer the kbam controls for it and I find it makes it easier to do speed runs.

edit: When did the game recommendations during purchase start showing up?

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    stigweard wrote: »
    When did the game recommendations during purchase start showing up?

I think that was added at the same time as the shopping cart.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    TheBana wrote: »
    Can someone post the list with prices in pounds? The website is being hammered and I'm using my phone atm.

Tempted by Mirror's Edge and Monkey Island (is Evil Genius good?)

If the GBP prices are good I'll start up the desktop PC and pick up all three after I've done the ironing.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena – £7.99
    Mirror’s Edge – £3.24
    Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood – £24.49
    Evil Genius – £1.74
    Section 8 – £14.99
    The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition – £1.74
    Quantz – £2

LewieP on
  • Options
    TheBanaTheBana Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Picked up Evil Genius and Monkey Island.

Already finished Mirror's Edge on the 360 or else I would've gotten that too.

EDIT - Cheers, Lewie.

..this is the last day, right? :'(

TheBana on
    Monster Hunter Tri - TheBana/FZVK6U; Skype - TheBana84;
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jesus, £3 for Mirror's Edge? How could I not buy this? £1.50 for MI...

So does Riddick play okay on the PC (controls that is)? I imagine it would but I had the original on the XBox, since it's mostly hand to hand combat and stuff rather than actual FPSing.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mirrors edge and riddick for the win, already own Evil genius and if I was going to buy it, I would just get it on gog...speaking of which.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mirror's Edge for me. This and L4D are the only two games I've picked up during the sale.

I'm still quite angry that I wasn't home when Dead Space went on sale :(

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I know Steam kinda does this already with the weekend/occasional mid-week sales, but I love the "ZOMG! 6 GAMES 35-90% OFF TODAY ONLY!" type sales. It brings out my inner impulse shopper.

Decoy on
  • Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm interested in dawn of discovery, I enjoyed the other anno games, not sure if it's worth $35 though, any thoughts on how much better it is than the rest of the series?

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Options
    DebaserZbsDebaserZbs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So today IS the last day of sales, or is there one final set tomorrow?

Also, picked up Evil Genius for $2.5. Any good?

DebaserZbs on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mirror's Edge got, got that price and that quality of production it's hard not to get it. SRYS SAVINS!

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    DebaserZbs wrote: »

Evil Genius is friggin gold. Top 10 games of all time for me.

It's buggy, but so so so much fun.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, I have been Steam's bitch this past month.
    - Mass Effect (at $10 I really couldn't delay it any longer and I've played it way too much to get the achievements)
    - Overlord Complete Pack (I couldn't be arsed to finish Raising Hell but for the most part have loved the rest)
    - Frontlines: Fuel of War (I just need a generic modernesque shooter every so often)
    - Dead Space (I am flaberghasted at the craptacular keyboard customization. Left-hander who loves his keypad...)
    - Ghostbusters
    And today's haul: Riddick, Evil Genius ($2 and change... awesome), and Mirror's Edge.

You don't know Steam like I do! Steam loves me!

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man that is NOT cool. I managed to avoid all the sales so far.

But Dark Athena for £8.99? Monkey Island for £1.74? Mirrors Edge for £3.25? The prices are crazy good.

Does the PC version of Mirror's Edge have the DLC? The timed track running stuff that takes places in that abstract world of shapes?

subedii on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

OMG yes, but be forwarned that there may be a bug regarding research with the sonic weapon that you have to fix by either not researching it or tweaking the ini (which is actually quite easy. Bonus lives for the win).

Also, don't fuck with green unless you absolutely have to, John Steele will devour your ass in one bite!

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Ever play Dungeon Keeper? If so, think of that game, but with evil cheesy Bond villains and their hideouts instead of a Dungeon Keeper and his dungeons.

Aoi on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Knock it off, it already looks like I might be getting three games here, I don't need a fourth!

EDIT: How's Section 8? I might swap out Riddick for that if it's any good and the community's still going. I've been jonesing for something a bit more future sci-fi with my FPS'ing.

subedii on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    Jesus, £3 for Mirror's Edge? How could I not buy this? £1.50 for MI...

So does Riddick play okay on the PC (controls that is)? I imagine it would but I had the original on the XBox, since it's mostly hand to hand combat and stuff rather than actual FPSing.

ME and Riddick (the original at least) both play wonderfully using KBAM - I wouldn't have it any other way. ME in particular I think would suffer a lot from not being able to sweep your gaze around madly whilst being chase by squads of goons, but the stealth in Riddick is also enhanced by the precision.

Big question for those who know, though - is there this bloody TAGES stuff in Dark Athena's Steam version? It might have flummoxed the pirates, but I don't want any of this stuff fucking around with my shiny new Windows 7 install and optical drive! And limited activations + Steam = no go.

EDIT:
    subedii wrote: »
    Man that is NOT cool. I managed to avoid all the sales so far.

But Dark Athena for £8.99? Monkey Island for £1.74? Mirrors Edge for £3.25? The prices are crazy good.

Does the PC version of Mirror's Edge have the DLC? The timed track running stuff that takes places in that abstract world of shapes?

You can buy it from the *shudder* EA Store. For about 3 times what the game just cost you! The game already includes a bunch of excellent time trial levels, which frankly you'll either 1) tire of before you want the DLC, or 2) love so much that the DLC is an automatic purchase at any price.

I will say that Lucasarts is being great with sale stuff, but it does irk me at times - I paid £7 for Monkey Island only for it to be 75% off a month later! I imagine Lucidity buyers feel this doubly so.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I moved from the keypad to tfgh and never looked back. I came to realize that some keyboards limit the amount of simultaneous key presses on certain keys. On the G15, you are limited to 3 presses in that area where you can get more on the letter keys. There are also a few newer games that seem to use the JavaScript key codes for coding the key presses so you can only use a limited subset that they have programmed in - usually the letter keys, number keys and shift, control, alt. Dead Space, Shattered Horizon, and ... Torchlight come to mind as recent games that don't allow the full key set to be used.

stigweard on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nice sale - definitely going to pickup Mirror's Edge. I played the hell out it when I rented it for 360, but for a fiver you can't go wrong. Also going to get Evil Genius - wanted to play it, but not at full price. Might get Monkey Island too, as I never finished it way back when.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I got mirror's edge, I wanted to play it for so long but could never justify the price. But at $5 I can't say no.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So in other digital download service holiday sale news, D2D has been hyping their AMAZING one-day Cyber Monday sale deal with a countdown clock.

Which hit zero at noon eastern today and then promptly started freaking out Lost-style and now all the numbers are cycling from 1-9 at warp speed.

Which is in some context amazing, I guess.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3174/
    The Steam Early Holiday Sale - Last Day!
    subedii wrote: »

The DLC is available from the EA store, but I remember someone complaining that it wasn't compatible with the Steam version. I don't know if that's still the case or if it has been fixed.

Peewi on
This discussion has been closed.