As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy: Just call it "Kingdom Hearts DS" and save yourself the trouble

• Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Look out, he's going super saiyan 6!

Is anyone else avoiding trailers and such and just waiting for the game like I am?

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    <3 you too Dragkonias

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    blaze_zero wrote: »

Is anyone else avoiding trailers and such and just waiting for the game like I am?

Well, I'm avoiding trailers and such.

Does that count?

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    No.

You have to want the game

Want it with your very soul

Pata on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

Does that count?

Well, are you going to get the game? Or are you just not interested?

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Does that count?

Well, are you going to get the game? Or are you just not interested?

The latter.

(It was a joke, you see.)

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I assumed, but maybe, just maaaaaaaaaaaaybe you really wanted to keep the experience fresh.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Nah, somewhere around Shiva Bike, Transformo Odin Horse and Hope Estheim, I just kinda gave up. I don't really expect much out of FFs since they haven't really done anything for me since VIII. (Or Tactics.)

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I honestly don't know why people are put off by the transforming summons.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They look stupid.

Graviija on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I thought Ifrit fire car was cool

And I love Odin's horsey transformation because I can make "My Little Pony" jokes about Lightning.
    Graviija wrote: »
    They look stupid.

In FFX, Bahamut had rainbow wings and a bigass wheel on his back. And they still managed to make him badass. So I have faith.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    They look stupid.

They also look fun to use.

In videogames, the fun part surpasses the stupid part.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    Now I want him to have Bahamut.

Me too. Please let it be so.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    Now I want him to have Bahamut.

Me too. Please let it be so.

I will seriously murder you two, through the internet.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    As long as it plays well and they aren't completely serious about it all the time (I mean, if no one in the game makes a comment about how weird it is to use summons like that...) I'll still play it.

I think I've played every Final Fantasy game (except X-2, can't seem to find it) so I'll give this a shot as well.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    In FFX, Bahamut had rainbow wings and a bigass wheel on his back. And they still managed to make him badass. So I have faith.
    But he was still 100% giant, fuck off dragon. Not 50% dragon, 50% spaceship or whatever the fuck he'll end up being.

edit - I still do plan on getting the game, of course.

Graviija on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What, not a single piece of FFXII fanart?

God damn it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The only good FFXII fanart I've found featured Vaan and Penelo.

I figured nobody here gave a shit about either of them.

• Options
    edited September 2009

An acceptable excuse

Seriously, no awesome fanart of Balthier or Basch or the Judges or anything? Do the Japanese just not know what cool is, or what

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think I've played every Final Fantasy game (except X-2, can't seem to find it) so I'll give this a shot as well.

Order it online. Best battle system so far in the series, tons of decent minigames, non-linear gameplay, pop concerts, and girl power. As long as you don't sweat the minimalistic world building story it's pure unadulterated fun on a disc.

And the job system is fucking awesome. And you get stat bonuses for switching jobs in battle.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    i hate X but really liked bahamut's design

sure he had the peacock thing going but that wheel was basically a giant energy siphon for his mega flare

and that's awesome

Rust on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Final Fantasy X is dumb and X-2 is more dumb

That is my position and I am sticking to it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Here we go again...

*canned laughter*

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

An acceptable excuse

Seriously, no awesome fanart of Balthier or Basch or the Judges or anything? Do the Japanese just not know what cool is, or what
    None that is Safe For Work. :D

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think I have some good Balthier/Fran artwork. I'll post some of my fanart collection post work and sleep tomorrow.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

For me, it's not that I hate them for being Transforming Summons, I just hate them for what they've turned out to be.

Why are there two Shivas, and why do they make a motorcycle the way that they do? I mean, it maybe could have been designed a slight bit better.

The thing that really annoys me about the Odin Horse is that he is a Mechanical Horse. For no reason. If Odin Horse was a Mechanical Sleipnir, I would have significantly fewer problems with it.

But those are the only two I've seen. I haven't seen Not!Ifrit (If we believe APZ) Racecar yet, or any others that might have been shown.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

For me, it's not that I hate them for being Transforming Summons, I just hate them for what they've turned out to be.

Why are there two Shivas, and why do they make a motorcycle the way that they do? I mean, it maybe could have been designed a slight bit better.

The thing that really annoys me about the Odin Horse is that he is a Mechanical Horse. For no reason. If Odin Horse was a Mechanical Sleipnir, I would have significantly fewer problems with it.

But those are the only two I've seen. I haven't seen Not!Ifrit (If we believe APZ) Racecar yet, or any others that might have been shown.
    I just dislike that, after a couple games of having the summons seem like actual gods that were either central to the plot, or had really cool backstories (FFX and XII), we're now reduced to seeing them used as transportation. Vroom vroom.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I just dislike that, after a couple games of having the summons seem like actual gods that were either central to the plot, or had really cool backstories (FFX and XII), we're now reduced to seeing them used as transportation. Vroom vroom.

the summon-as-mythology angle has probably been played out for a bit

i mean X based a good portion of the plot around them and matsuno used an entirely different set for his own game

so TRANSFORMERS could be a decent new tack if only they didn't look so goddamned silly

Rust on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    FF XIII is setting up to either be a fresh start for the series or a colossal train wreck.

I'm still leaning towards colossal train wreck.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Really? You're upset because Square's blatantly absurd Japanese "interpretation" of ancient mythological deities has finally gone one step further into absurd by making them transforming vehicles? It's not like any of the previous versions of these summons weren't largely absurd and nothing like their original source material.

edit: You're a colossal train wreck.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think they should instead be super powered up armor that the heroes can equip and do battle in. Yep... totally awesome...

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think they should instead be super powered up armor that the heroes can equip and do battle in. Yep... totally awesome...

...It worked for Ronin warriors...until MC got the White Hot armor that is.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I should play Final Fantasy IX at some point I suppose

So far the only good 3D Final Fantasy game I've played is FFXII. FFX had a good battle system but the entire rest of the game was such utter ass, and FFVII was not cool

Haven't played FF VIII but I've seen enough to know that it was not good in any way

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Really? You're upset because Square's blatantly absurd Japanese "interpretation" of ancient mythological deities has finally gone one step further into absurd by making them transforming vehicles? It's not like any of the previous versions of these summons weren't largely absurd and nothing like their original source material.

edit: You're a colossal train wreck.

I think you quoted the wrong post, but, hell, I'll respond anyway.

I don't mind them being vehicles in theory.

But Shiva Bike has a dumb design and Odin should really turn into Mechanical Sleipnir and not a normal goddamn robot horse.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I should play Final Fantasy IX at some point I suppose

So far the only good 3D Final Fantasy game I've played is FFXII. FFX had a good battle system but the entire rest of the game was such utter ass, and FFVII was not cool

Haven't played FF VIII but I've seen enough to know that it was not good in any way

IX starts off spectacular and stays that way until the end of the first disc

then it's great until the end of the second disc

and then...it comes down to personal preference/endurance

it's probably got the best art direction you'll ever see on a psx title though

Rust on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    No matter how good/bad XIII ends up, there's still Versus and Agito to look forward to.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I wonder what will happen when the generation that's first FF was FFX grow up and become old and bitter like us.

"Final Fantasy went down hill after 10

No way 14 was awesome

13 was the best faggot

20 looks cool

Bring back Nomura"

Pata on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I started with FFVI (FFIII back then).

I'm supposed to hate FFVII-FFXIV, right?

• Options
    edited September 2009
    I've never actually played FF VI! I want to, but I haven't

Played FFI, FFIII, and FFIV DS though. IV wasn't bad, but Cecil's character design gets retarded after a while

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I started with FFVI (FFIII back then).

I'm supposed to hate FFVII-FFXIV, right?

You cannot like anything newer than your first and complain about how stupid their storylines are.

Thus is the rules.

blaze_zero on