As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oblivion: "staple" and "must-have" mods?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The Complete Ranger adds D&D style ranger spells, abilities (bow specials!), and an animal companion with a set of "tricks." Awesome.

Galerion's Unarmored puts back the glorious Unarmored skill (for you serious monks, Conan wanna-bes, and pervs). It's tied to the Acrobatics skill, and raises just like Light/Heavy Armor.

Claws and Monk Gear makes Unarmed not suck. Adds claws, katars, punch daggers, and actually tied them to the Unarmed skill (rather than blades like most claw mods do, thus making your monk truly complete). They're able to be enchanted with attack skills. These guys are doing awesome work on these mods too... they're working on adding new guild-specific claws and quests with claws as rewards.

Those are my favorites... I've played through the main campaign with a ranger character, as well as a monk with these three mods. Awesome.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Shadowfire wrote:

Claws and Monk Gear makes Unarmed not suck. Adds claws, katars, punch daggers, and actually tied them to the Unarmed skill (rather than blades like most claw mods do, thus making your monk truly complete). They're able to be enchanted with attack skills. These guys are doing awesome work on these mods too... they're working on adding new guild-specific claws and quests with claws as rewards.

Those are my favorites... I've played through the main campaign with a ranger character, as well as a monk with these three mods. Awesome.

Wouldn't that make them... armed? o_O

P.S. If you aren't jumping off of a cliff and doing a power attack into the back of a daedric prince for a 6x sneak attack power kill you aren't playing the game right.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hey, I just started a game with the OOO 1.3 mod for the first time. Are there any new guilds/factions I can join? If so, where are they?

thanks

is there anything else really cool to be on the lookout for? I've noticed some new creatures, and I just got completely raped in one of those ayelid (Or whatever they're called) caves.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Clevinger wrote:
    Hey, I just started a game with the OOO 1.3 mod for the first time. Are there any new guilds/factions I can join? If so, where are they?

thanks

is there anything else really cool to be on the lookout for? I've noticed some new creatures, and I just got completely raped in one of those ayelid (Or whatever they're called) caves.

No new guilds or organizations, but there are a bunch of new creature-factions, like Blackwoods Slavers and Amazons. Also, be on the lookout for spiffy magic items inside otherwise normal dungeons.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just started playing tonight with OOO 1.3, and let me tell anyone who's on the fence about giving this mod a try that you should do it. I'm only about an hour and a half into a new game and I'm already sold. It really feels like a completely different game.

Captain K on
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm sooo tempted to go with OOO but man....I reaaaaaaally don't want it to fuck up my old saves. I kinda just wanna have my character(s) just kinda...work with it and go on about my way. The *only* thing keeping me from getting and using it is that I can forsee headache's with error messages and things breaking left and right.

I *think* the only mods I'm using that would be affected are
    "FathisFix"
    "Quest Award Leveling"
    "Birthsigns nomax"
    "Retroactive Health"
    "No Psychic Guards"
    "Mighty Umbra -Vanilla-"

everything else I have is either official or mod(s) that add in weapons and armor. Would getting OOO be a good idea for me? or am in for a world of hurt?

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    CitrusCitrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    "retroactive health" and maybe "birthsigns nomax" are the only ones that I can see not working with OOO. You can always try it, then just quit the game without saving, uninstall OOO and continue on like before.

Citrus on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm pretty sure that Umbra is totally changed into a different weapon. Probably would conflict with that "Mighty Umbra" esp.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    hey i'm trying to use Rens beauty pack but cant get it to work. if I start a character as a mystical elf it has an invisible head and purple body.

help?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    I just started playing tonight with OOO 1.3, and let me tell anyone who's on the fence about giving this mod a try that you should do it. I'm only about an hour and a half into a new game and I'm already sold. It really feels like a completely different game.
    no i wont let you tell anyone

please remove your post

bongi on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    shityea.jpg

bombardier on
  • Options
    suttbeckssuttbecks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    got my damn rap face on

suttbecks on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The first person that popped into my head:

abrahambenrubi.jpg

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    suttbecks wrote:
    got my damn rap face on
    rapfacede9.gif

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I recall a pirate mod hmmm...

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    If I played the game before and hated the repetition and scaled leveling bullshit would I enjoy this mod?

Hoz on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm kind of wary of mods guys, I'm often scared that the origional game's content is all perfect and well made while the player created stuff seems very hit or miss and often feels kind of cheap (in regards to OOO). I also am wondering can I play a non-modded version of Oblivion, and then the modded version with different save files or what? I think it would not even be worth it and would get old fast.

Btw, is OOO more immersive and does it fix quite a few annoying issues, or is it still pretty much Oblivion with a new coat of paint?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hoz wrote:
    Captain K wrote:
    If I played the game before and hated the repetition and scaled leveling bullshit would I enjoy this mod?
    The entire point of OOO (before 1.3 anyway) was to fix the level scaling bullshit, so yes, you probably would. Not much can be done about the repetition, though.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm kind of wary of mods guys, I'm often scared that the origional game's content is all perfect and well made while the player created stuff seems very hit or miss and often feels kind of cheap (in regards to OOO). I also am wondering can I play a non-modded version of Oblivion, and then the modded version with different save files or what? I think it would not even be worth it and would get old fast.

Btw, is OOO more immersive and does it fix quite a few annoying issues, or is it still pretty much Oblivion with a new coat of paint?

OOO is pretty fucking professional as far as mods go. If you are looking for more "immersiveness" though, there are better mods to pick up.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I hated OOO1.3 Heres why.

I decide to knock out the Mages guild pretty early.

I get 5 or so recommendations, then have to go to a dungeon for one of the other ones.

I get there, and everything kills me in 1 hit. Easily. The previous 5 missions were fine, but now Im getting owned in the face.

I figure, "oh well, I guess Ill just do the regular storyline for a bit"

So I go to Kvatch, and I have the same problem.

So I have to start grinding.

After grinding out 5 levels by summoning and destroying my skeleton, I uninstalled OOO1.3

On the other hand, I started playing vanilla again recently, and completed the Mage's guild.

[spoiler:677cdc32d4]Then I stopped playing the game as the ending of the Mages guild sucked, and was very dissapointing[/spoiler:677cdc32d4]

CangoFett on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, you basically have to take out "Deadlier Combat" and "Slow Levelling" from the OOO 1.3 package if you don't want to gouge your eyes out with fury. Other than that, tis all gravy.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I did

CangoFett on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    CangoFett wrote:
    I did

Oh.

Than you must suck or something.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So guys, I just realised the nights of the nine EP was already released... How is it? I'm asking because a lot of these 'reviews' seem like plants. The very same kind that got my brother into buying a PSP.

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=646812

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So guys, I just realised the nights of the nine EP was already released... How is it? I'm asking because a lot of these 'reviews' seem like plants. The very same kind that got my brother into buying a PSP.

I hear that it's pretty good. Definitely the best of the download plugins so far.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    thorpe wrote:

I hear that it's pretty good. Definitely the best of the download plugins so far.

Do you know if it can it be used with the new upcoming EP/OOO? This is another thing that kind of bothers me, I'd much rather have 1 big game that gets along and works fine, rather than 6 sub-versions. :(

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    NikolisNikolis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I noticed that under My Documents, there is "My Games" which contains Oblivion Save Files. If I were to uninstall Oblivion and put those files back, would I have my saved games back?

I ask, because after installing Obscuro's I noticed my game freezes a lot while loading into a city or dungeon. I know it has nothing to do with my system as this is the same PC I had when the game launched but recently reinstalled the game after reformatting my pc.

Also, what is the best way to save multiple games? Say, me and my girlfriend both want to play separate characters but don't want to worry about auto save erasing our games. (She pretty much needs autosave on, I wouldn't mind it being turned off)

Nikolis on
    Nklus.png
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nikolis wrote:
    I noticed that under My Documents, there is "My Games" which contains Oblivion Save Files. If I were to uninstall Oblivion and put those files back, would I have my saved games back?

I ask, because after installing Obscuro's I noticed my game freezes a lot while loading into a city or dungeon. I know it has nothing to do with my system as this is the same PC I had when the game launched but recently reinstalled the game after reformatting my pc.

Also, what is the best way to save multiple games? Say, me and my girlfriend both want to play separate characters but don't want to worry about auto save erasing our games. (She pretty much needs autosave on, I wouldn't mind it being turned off)
    Hit the console key (~) and type "save charactername" or "save charactername2" etc. You can call the save files anything, but if you want to be able to easily distinguish them, I suggest your name or your character's name.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    HibikiHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you guys want change but not diffulty of OOO, i strongly suggest using Frasncesco's Leveld mod and Martigen's Monsters, it's a very good alternative while still providing a challenge. It's also very customizable, when i started i turned on a feature to make creatures less aggressive and lower spawn rate, now that i'm more stronger, i cranked up the spawn rate and aggression.

Hibiki on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    thorpe wrote:

I bought it.

Its actually pretty good. If you didn't pick up the DLC stuff before and were kind of interested in it I'd pick it up. The knights of the nine quest is actually pretty good and the rest of the stuff is just the other downloaded content.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ok, so after a full install of OOO my original saves are running fine and dandy. yay! question though, after a full install is there a way to turn off slow leveling and possibly deadlier combat?

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    frowney face :(

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A quick question, may be mod related and is spoiler-heavy for the main quest:
    [spoiler:27ac117a11]Does the ground in the Temple District ever get fixed after the final battle? I can see under the temple from outside, and the ground near one of the gates dips below the wall and I can access Blue Hell if I slip through. Alternately, does this happen for anyone else, or is it one of my mods fucking it up? It looks like shit.[/spoiler:27ac117a11]

Kreutz on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ok, so after a full install of OOO my original saves are running fine and dandy. yay! question though, after a full install is there a way to turn off slow leveling and possibly deadlier combat?

only way to do that is to download OOO lite and disable OOO-Deadly_Combat.esp and OOO-LevelSlow.esp

Hibiki on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    hmmm so I could use an OOO lite install *after* installing the OOO full version and as such disable those 2 functions after the fact? like, I have full installed now, I still have the option of getting Lite and then removing those 2 functions? And it would all work nice and dandy?

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    hmmm so I could use an OOO lite install *after* installing the OOO full version and as such disable those 2 functions after the fact? like, I have full installed now, I still have the option of getting Lite and then removing those 2 functions? And it would all work nice and dandy?
    back up your saves and try, I honestly don't know, since I'm using fran + MMM.
    it wouldn't hurt to try.
    also i hope you did the wrye bash thing if you're using a save that didn't start with OOO, the NPC levels need to be reseted, else nothing will change.
    read the readme doc

Hibiki on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My favorite thing about OOO is the fact that it improves the profit from dungeon crawling by a huge amount. Or at least I think it does, because I didn't get shit from Aeleid ruins until I loaded it up. I don't really notice any of the other changes - though the level scaling was what prompted me to try balance mods, all I really notice with OOO in is the game is less irritating and the difficulty is more often reasonable when I leave it on the default setting.

To be honest, Fran's has far better combat though. Oblivion's default is pretty clumsy, and OOO doesn't help all that much, but it helps with so much else that Fran's doesn't it seemed like the way to go. Actually, IIRC I eventually ditched Fran's because the game was getting stupidly hard. I can't figure out what it does with the balance exactly, but my impression was that it made the level scaling bullshit worse. Like I'd walk down the road and get slaughtered in two seconds by bandits. Is the extra item pack any good?

Also, I have a question: Is there any good way to merge two mods? For example, I have this mod that alters the color of glass to, you know, not look completely fucking dumb and retarded and vomit-worthy, but it conflicts with OOO. In the end I just leave it out to keep the balance intact, but damn my character looks like something vomited by a mudcrab.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I've had time to play with OOO and it's very very awesome. as a single mod goes I would say it's THE mod to get. It does have some problems like kinda making the difficulty a tad to high, but there is a difficulty slider which pretty much remedies that. That and it makes leveling a little to slow for my tastes. But eh it's fine :) makes the game last a lil longer. It also adds a bunch of new items and armor + weapons. Great mod, love it.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Might I also suggest Living Economy?

A quick description:

This plug-in creates more realistic bartering mechanics, a more interesting mercantile environment and harder "get rich quick" schemes.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Does OOO affect the leveling system?

<3 on