Options

Resistance: Fall of Man [NSF28k]

Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
Alternate histories are awesome.
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/745/745206/resistance-fall-of-man-20061110064419046.jpg
what is going on here

Resistance: Fall of Man is the first FPS to be released for the PS3, available at launch for the low low price of camping out for two weeks to get a PS3, and $60! Alternatively $2060 on Ebay. Insomniac games brings us this.

Features:
Graphics which are really pretty swell. Also you get to fight aliens or zombies or some shit in England in the 1950s, which is fairly neat I guess. If by fairly neat I mean totally awesome. There are many weapons, but the M5A2 rifle is your's. Psyche! You can steal some awesome sounding weapons from the alien/zombie/douchebags that are invading your world.

Multiplayer will be up and running sometime, and up to 40 players can play in a single match! Vehicles will not be included, however, although downloadable updates and content have be alluded to.

Graphically, it's really great, although reports indicate Gears of War did it better. BUT LET THE SCREENSHOTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES! SCREENSHOTS COMIN' UP THE HELL RIGHT NOW SHOOT 'EM IN THE HEAD!

80408-2-2.jpg
56188-4-2.jpg
80408-18-2.jpg
56188-5-2.jpg
80408-3-2.jpg
46560-3-2.jpg
56188-2-2.jpg

Weapons include:
Auger: A Chimeran developed weapon that acts like a heavy-penatrating assault rifle that fires energy blasts. These energy blasts can burrow through solid objects, to impact those behind cover, thus negating cover. The shots increase in power as they move through barriers. The bolts slow down as they move through objects, and a spark of light can be seen, warning potential victims that their cover has been breached. The alternate fire of the Auger is to put down a translucent energy shield that cannot be penetrated by any weapon except the Auger itself.
Bullseye: A relatively standard assault weapon developed by Chimera. The twist of the weapon is its alternate fire: the tag. By firing a tag, bullets now home in on the tag. This allows smart players to hit the enemy, then hide in cover, bending their bullets around cover to still hit enemies. Firing the Bullseye into a wall or object, however, creates a potential 'Bullseye-Bomb'. Bullets will home into the target, and swarm about to form a sphere of bullets. You can then fire it at an enemy, and the swarm of bullets will track down the locked-on enemy. If bullets remain in the swarm when the enemy dies, the swarm will hover in the air, until the Bullseye is fired again.
Bullseye Mark II: A more powerful form of the Bullseye that has a bigger power pack and fires stronger blue energy bullets instead of the red ones.
L23 Fareye: Another human weapon, the Fareye is a sniper rifle. While aiming through the scope, the game simulates heightened reflexes by slowing down time while the player can aim normally. The Fareye is available for multiplayer, but the ability to slow down time is not included.
XR-003 Sapper: The Sapper is a unique weapon which is said to be reverse-engineered from Chimeran technology, and produced by humans. It fires unstable sticky 'goo-balls', which explode when someone moves nearby. The balls can stick together, even creating chains that dangle from the roof. The alternate fire is used for manual detonation.
XR-005 Hailstorm: The Hailstorm is Resistance's take on the minigun. Its rapid storm of fire can ricochet from walls, increasing its lethality in confined combat. Its alternate fire converts the remaining contents of the clip into a turret that auto-targets and fires at enemies.
L209 LAARK: The LAARK rocket launcher is unique in that its primary fire releases a singular powerful rocket, but its secondary fire is able to spread its contents into a number of miniature rockets. The weapon can also be slowed down, and even stopped mid flight. And whilst paused, its trajectory can be modified, to fire around corners, or over barricades. This weapon is available for online play.
M5A2 Carbine: The M5A2 Carbine is the standard issue human assault rifle with a 40 mm grenade launcher attachment. It bears some resemblance to the M1 Garand rifle, Browning Automatic Rifle, and an FN FAL, but it uses much larger detachable magazines and a different stock. The reciever and magazines are similar to those of a Browning Automatic Rifle. It is perhaps most similar to the SOCOM 16 (a shortened version of the Springfield Armory M1A), albeit with a different stock.
Rossmore 236: The Rossmore 236 is the basic shotgun. It can be fired single barrel or double barrel.
Reaper: A weapon that is a new twist on an old standby: dual-wielding pistols. While most games have both pistols aimed in the same direction, the Reapers are capable of independent firing. Consider R1 the right hand and L1 the left hand. When you hold down both buttons, the reticule splits off into two individual reticules. Your hands sweep the area, and a modest auto-lock from each pistol will then latch onto whatever enemy crosses its path. This is great for taking on lots of small Chimera. This weapon is only acquired after beating the game once.
L11-2 Dragon: The L11-2 Dragon is a standard flamethrower. Its alternate fire has been labeled as a vapor cloud. The vapor cloud releases a cloud of flammable gas that the player can hold L1 to make larger, and when L1 is released, the gas is set aflame and is shot in the direction the player is facing. The fire burns a long time similar to napalm, and is quite effective in killing certain enemies. This weapon is only acquired after beating the game once.
Arc Charger: The Arc Charger is a high-powered gun used by elite Chimeran soldiers. It shoots a bolt of lightning. The alternate fire allows said lightning to arc to nearby enemies. This weapon is only acquired after beating the game once or playing multiplayer. It's function seems to resemble the Tesla Claw from Ratchet & Clank fame.
Splitter: Similar to Ratchet & Clank's RYNO, the Splitter shoots a salvo of rockets. It's secondary fire splits the rockets into a wall of smaller rockets. Both can fires be directed, much like the LAARK. This weapon is only acquired after beating the game once.
Grenade: An average fragmentation grenade.
Hedgehog: The Hedgehog is the Chimeran grenade. When deployed the Hedgehog will launch upwards and explode, hurling spikes in every direction.
Air Fuel Grenade: Much like the name implies, this grenade is a type of fuel-air explosive that releases and then ignites a cloud of flammable vapor to burn enemies. The grenade also has the ability to stick to surfaces and enemies; much like some grenades in several other first-person shooters.
Backlash Grenade: This grenade releases a energy "bubble" around you to deflect enemy attacks, protect you and can also hurt any enemy inside the bubble.

Thanks Wikipedia.

PLOT:

In Resistance, there are a few crucial events that are differ from our evil god-hating liberal revisionist textbooks. Namely:

-World War 2 never happened, as Germany joined the european union after their asses were kicked thoroughly in WWII, and thus experienced economic sucess, so they told Hitler to shut the fuck up and go eat a dick.
-Communism never rose in Russia, as the October Revolution failed because I guess communists are pussies in this game. The Tzar is honestly pretty bad at running his country, so Russia goes into economic decline, and they shut out all outside communications. Russian then builds a wall out of barbed wire and concrete because they don't want illegal alien immigrants stealing their jobs and/or killing them. Apparently they're smuggled in through fedex trucks or something, because the aliens or whatever they are in this game first appear in Russia.
-McKinley doesn't declare war on Spain in 1898 because he was a pretty unimportant president and who cares about McKinley anyway? The game is not clear if he still gets shot, but who cares because it is McKinley.

AND THEN:

Reports of cities getting blown up the hell right now start cycling through Europe, and refugees start appearing. This is probably bad, but no one really cares because they're russians UNTIL the aliens come swarming out of the crappy wall they built. They're known as Chimera because it sounds ominous. Within three months, they've conquered Europe, and move on to England, which they also thrash pretty well. America decides to stop being isolationists at this point because they finally realized that the Chimera could probably swim, so they send in like 20 guys in a ranger platoon, which was a pretty bad tactical error, as they all get killed.

You play as Nathan Hale, a member of the second group that gets sent in, who are promptly gassed. Who saw that coming.

The gas, however, does not explode or simply poison you. Oh no, it turns you into a fucking alien zombie dude that can heal wounds and hit really hard! And use guns better! Unfortunently, these alien zombies are controlled by some sort of hive mind shit, and we don't have a goddamn carrier to crash into it, so you're stuck shootin' all your friends who probably want to use your skull as a bowl for some sushi or something, because zombies love that sushi.

Nathan Hale gets all the superhuman powers from the gas, but remains in control of himself, so the Brits are like "Hey how about you go fight them while we hide because they pretty much killed everyone but me and Ted already."

And thus your adventure begins.

TL;DR - Britain has been kidnapped by alien ninja-zombies that are ugly. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue Britain?

No, you are not. But Sgt. Nathan Hale is.

If you have a PS3, go buy this game so you can tell your friends you're shooting alien zombie spider monkey ninja things in the 50s. They will be like man-what and then you can hit them in the face with a brick and rob them to get back the money you spent on the PS3.

Mai-Kero on

• Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    this game is great. it's an overall well designed fps that I thoroughly enjoyed playing. it made me even contemplate buying a ps3. honestly, I give it two thumbs up. I consider it a must own if you have a ps3.

(my playtime with it was around 5 hours or so)

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's good fun.

Not the best graphically (it still looks amazing), but some of the effects in this game are top notch.

Ranced on
  • Options
    garathkanegarathkane Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The game really gets good near the end. Some of the environments just made me stop and gawk for a bit.. one particular 'level' had me trudging up a mountain pass in falling snow with Chimera on ledges around the pass. It was intense and great fun. Graphically it may not be up to par with something like Gears of War but the environments are just jaw dropping.

garathkane on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I hear its Half Life 2 by another name. Is there any truth in this? By the PS3 EU launch I might want to pick this up, hopefully by then the multiplayer will be fleshed out and awesome.

Environments look cool.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    My PS3 shipped this morning - I bought it strictly as a Bru-ray play but after reading this I had an "Oh, alright, I'll buy a game *sigh*" moment.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It looks fun as hell, but I don't see myself having a PS3 for about a year or so. That being said, you made me want to play the game about 100% more. Awesome Op Mai-Kero!

Aoi on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Aoi wrote:
    It looks fun as hell, but I don't see myself having a PS3 for about a year or so. That being said, you made me want to play the game about 100% more. Awesome Op Mai-Kero!

<3

After MGS4 comes out, I'll be tempted to just rent a PS3 for a week or two and play through that and Resistance. Seems like the best way to do it.

Then again, the multiplayer has such promise that I want a PS3. I guess I'll enter the arms trade sooner than I anticipated.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Fucking awesome OP. :^:

This and Motorstorm are the only thing saving the ps3 right now.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I hear its Half Life 2 by another name. Is there any truth in this? By the PS3 EU launch I might want to pick this up, hopefully by then the multiplayer will be fleshed out and awesome.

Environments look cool.

Not at all. I was actually talking to my sister about HL2 when she watched me play Resistance and was talking about how it may sound similar on paper but in reality it is totally different.

Half-Life 2 has a ton more story and a much better graphics system.

I also cannot tell you how many times I thought about how HL2's physics system has spoiled me. When I shot an alien and it fell onto a pillar in an unrealistic fashion I wanted to go "What, this is a PS3 game, my PC that's 1/4 the power of this has better physics!"

I liked HL2 a lot more but Resistance is a solid shooter and the only console shooter I've really liked, at that.

To the OP - It isn't gas, it's some sort of wave of bugs launched from a spire.

Black Ice on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Recoil42 wrote:
    Fucking awesome OP. :^:

This and Motorstorm are the only thing saving the ps3 right now.

I liked the hyper-activity in it. :P "If you have a PS3, go buy this game so you can tell your friends you're shooting alien zombie spider monkey ninja things in the 50s. They will be like man-what and then you can hit them in the face with a brick and rob them to get back the money you spent on the PS3."

When I get a PS3, I'll definitely pick this up. Unfortunately, I don't know when that'll be.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I put in a couple hours or so on a friends system. It's really good fun, but the narrative pulls out and changes times and locales CONSTANTLY, which is detrimental to immersion. It's kinda like HL2 in WW2, except if Valve decided that its audience was dumb as shit, and needed every little detail explained by a British lady every five minutes.

EDIT: Not that it dosen't have its own unique charms or whatever. The guns, graphics and enemies are pretty damn amusing and well rendered, if not totally original.

august on
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    august wrote:
    I put in a couple hours or so on a friends system. It's really good fun, but the narrative pulls out and changes times and locales CONSTANTLY, which is detrimental to immersion. It's kinda like HL2 in WW2, except if Valve decided that its audience was dumb as shit, and needed every little detail explained by a British lady every five minutes.

EDIT: Not that it dosen't have its own unique charms or whatever. The guns, graphics and enemies are pretty damn amusing and well rendered, if not totally original.

I actually enjoyed the cut scenes after the first 3-4 of them. And oddly enough the environments seemed to be improving graphically after the first few levels.

Black Ice on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Played about 8 hours of Multiplayer between yesterday and today. 8)

Only thing I don't get is the matchmaker. It says you can select game type and size etc... but I never can. I just select "team-based game" and it throws me into a random team game. I mean for RANKED games, for unranked it lets me choose, but wtf.. why not for ranked games???

Anyone interested in forming a PA clan?

jwalk on
  • Options
    chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jwalk wrote:
    Anyone interested in forming a PA clan?

With all 5 of us that have this game? :D

I would be interested in getting some Game Ons going for this though.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Apparently you can join games as a squad, so even with 2-3 people online at least you'd be playing together.

A couple of people have thrown me a clan invite out of the blue already..

jwalk on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I hear this game goes up to 50player multiplayer... Which, for a console game, sounds incredible. This is I think the only game I'd like that the 360 can't provide.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    DraelokkenDraelokken Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Overall, Resistance is a very enjoyable game. I would argue that it is withoout a doubt the best available for the PS3 at the moment.

The two greatest complaints I have about it are the storyline and the difficulty. I felt that the storyline had much more potential and there are a few plot gaps. There isn't much in the way of character development, but the game moves along fast enough that it doesn't severely detract from the overall good experience. Beyond that, I also felt that the game was quite punishing in several spots (even on medium difficulty).

Draelokken on
    "One has lots of time for reflection while waiting for the ENDLESS WAVES OF BAD DOGGIE WEREWOLF MONSTERS THAT CHEW YOUR TOES WHILE YOU SLEEP!! "
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Aoi wrote:

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Looks really good. OP has stolen my heart.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    From a purely art perspective...I really can't stand the design of the enemies in this game. Especially the mouths/faces of the grunts. It's like an artistic five year old drew what he thought was the epitomy of "rawr sharp teeth scary!". Edit: I'm not purposely trolling though. I'm sure I'd eat up this game, as I can eat up even the most generic shooter such as Quake 4.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Alright my handle is "Walk2k" if anyone wants to add me to their buddy list.

jwalk on
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wezoin wrote:
    I hear this game goes up to 50player multiplayer... Which, for a console game, sounds incredible. This is I think the only game I'd like that the 360 can't provide.
    It's actually 40 which is still impressive, even though some of the maps are a tad too big.

Still really fun though, I just wish they'd update their servers more so I could see my stats.

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    VG-RobotVG-Robot Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    One thing the reviews fail to mention is the awesome AI in this game, and the variety. It's not just a balls our shooter, or a horror shooter, or a cover based shootor, or anything. It combines a million different situations into one game, so you constantly need to change your strategy.

Also, the AI is fantastic, as long as you play on normal or higher. First few levels, the enemies are only sort of smart, but as you continue to play you realize that they will try to flank you, will take cover almost immediately, and other times will jump out of the cover and try to charge you. They don't just stand around and wait for a grenade to blow up, they will run like hell. It's seriously some of the best AI I have ever seen in an FPS.

VG-Robot on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have a question for those playing multiplayer. Do you all use headsets? And if so, which ones? Just curious, since I don't think Sony's actually released an official one, and this game begs to have it.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Kyougu wrote:
    I have a question for those playing multiplayer. Do you all use headsets? And if so, which ones? Just curious, since I don't think Sony's actually released an official one, and this game begs to have it.

I use my Motorola HS850 and it works fine.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Cool, I'm gonna have to pick one of those up. $30 from Amazon?

What about keyboards? I know a USB one will work but what about the Bluetooth wireless ones? Like the Apple one, or

Kensington 64366 SlimType Standard Keyboard for Mac $35
    or
    this, the Stowaway Bluetooth? $85...

jwalk on
  • Options
    Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    VG-Robot wrote:
    One thing the reviews fail to mention is the awesome AI in this game, and the variety. It's not just a balls our shooter, or a horror shooter, or a cover based shootor, or anything. It combines a million different situations into one game, so you constantly need to change your strategy.

Also, the AI is fantastic, as long as you play on normal or higher. First few levels, the enemies are only sort of smart, but as you continue to play you realize that they will try to flank you, will take cover almost immediately, and other times will jump out of the cover and try to charge you. They don't just stand around and wait for a grenade to blow up, they will run like hell. It's seriously some of the best AI I have ever seen in an FPS.

Aye. Ever try to head back to the start of a level for health pickups? They rush your ass and follow you until you're dead. It's great.

I'm also pretty sure that none of the reviewers played it all the way through, because the shit you see at the end is about 2 billion times better than the beginning. We're talking :shock: WTFAWESOME.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So from the sounds of the OP, it sounds like you unlock quite a few guns after you finish this game for the first time... With that in mind, how's the replayability? Are there any reasons, other than the newly unlocked guns to go through this game a second time? And, as far as shooters are concerned, how much fun is it to go through the levels again?

The only shooters I've ever played through more than once or twice have been Half-Life 2: Episode 1 and a few older titles like Soldier of Fortune 2.

Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I am loving the shit out of Resistance and it makes me happy I purchased a PS3. I don't even really like FPS games *that* much, but when there's an exceptional one that comes out I love it. Half Life 2 +1, Resistance, Deus Ex (if that even really counts) are the ones I've loved so far. Resistance feels alot like Half Life 2 in alot of ways, but remains unique enough to be its own game. awesome + 1.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I want to play this game so bad, because I really enjoyed all the R&C games and alternate histories are indeed awesome... but there is no way in hell I will ever be able to afford a Playstation 3.

It's kind of sad to say it, but my only regret in not having a PS3 is not being able to play whatever Insomniac and Sucker Punch cook up from here on.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Insomniac are badass, and resistance does look fairly good. There were a couple of bits in the Gametrailers review from later sections I think, and they looked fairly amazing.

I'll definitely have to pick this up when I get a PS3. That'll be a couple of years yet though :(

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So if anyone can tell me how I can get online whilst split-screening w/ a friend I'll love you forever.

If not, this game blows. Srsly.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I rented this the firs day I had my PS3 and I loved every second of it. As I’ve said countless times before the game looks great and plays great it is a great “Launch title”. Is it the end all be all of the PS3 (Ala halo) no it’s not. Is a sold FPS that has great graphics, and a ton of fun packed in it. Oh hell yes it is.

Artoria on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    4rch3nemy wrote:
    So if anyone can tell me how I can get online whilst split-screening w/ a friend I'll love you forever.

If not, this game blows. Srsly.
    Don't think that's possible.

Leave your game ID here if you want in to the [PA] clan. Not expecting huge numbers but wtf at least you can see who's on and join them in the same game if they are in the "Staging".

jwalk on
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh man I'm in

Tag: QuestionMarkMan

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just picked up a PS3 and this, and will be back from NY in a couple days. I'll really be looking forward to playing with you guys then.

UberEv on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jwalk wrote:
    Leave your game ID here if you want in to the [PA] clan. Not expecting huge numbers but wtf at least you can see who's on and join them in the same game if they are in the "Staging".

Tag: Charpunk

chrpnk on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    are there any co-op screenshots?

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's nice how FPS games are starting to grab my attention. After Perfect Dark they all became extremley boring for me (asdie from my love affair with Doom 2 on the GBA). I played through Half-Life 2 a couple of times and enjoyed it, but the real turning point for me was FEAR. I completley ignored it until a freind game it to me because his compy wouldn't run it, turns out it was one of the most fun, interesting and inventive games I'v played for a good long while. I wasn't too bothered about Gears of War and near enough completley ignored it until I was in the store with a freind after he bought his Xbox360. We went back to his house and GOW turned out to be a fucking awesome game, I know it't technically not a FPS but it's very similar in design at a glance.

I decided to read the OP and the ideas for the weapons had me grinning, I love the fact that players are finally getting bored with the same setup of weapons they have had since Half-Life and game designers have had to find whole new ways of letting them kill things with projectile weapons.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just played this at a friend's house, played some co-op, had a blast, though I kept seeing HL2 similarities, =/ The little spider things remind me too much of head crabs, and the hedgehogs? look like the roller mines, but dumber. 2 things annoyed me while I was playing, crouch was on L2, when I kept pressing L3, and the jump is almost useless, you can't jump over sandbags. I played one match of online play with all the guns/infinite ammo, and everyone was using the rocket launcher, which got old real quick.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt