As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resistance: Fall of Man [NSF28k]

• Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This game has borrowed almost every cool idea from the fps genre in the past 10 years and (for the most part) used them right for a fairly cool game. I liked the background of the story, but if you are American and don't enjoy it then you are obviously a Frenchman.

The ps3 hasn't earned its price yet, but this softens the blow.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jwalk wrote:
    4rch3nemy wrote:
    So if anyone can tell me how I can get online whilst split-screening w/ a friend I'll love you forever.

If not, this game blows. Srsly.
    Don't think that's possible.

Leave your game ID here if you want in to the [PA] clan. Not expecting huge numbers but wtf at least you can see who's on and join them in the same game if they are in the "Staging".

Hit me up: pittfurg

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    FatBabyFatBaby Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have a clan already, but you guys can add me to your friends list if you wish.

Tag: FatBaby

FatBaby on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ravien56ravien56 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    add me also: ravien56

ravien56 on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    chrpnk wrote:
    jwalk wrote:
    Leave your game ID here if you want in to the [PA] clan. Not expecting huge numbers but wtf at least you can see who's on and join them in the same game if they are in the "Staging".

Tag: Charpunk
    Player not found...
    ravien56
    Also not found.
    Make sure that's exactly how you spelled it? Caps etc..?

Everyone else invited.

jwalk on
  • Options
    chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jwalk wrote:
    chrpnk wrote:
    jwalk wrote:

Player not found...

It's probably just charpunk. I'll just add you in a minute.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Got you on global Friends but RFOM is not finding your player ID.

aaand now my PS3 locked up when entering a message. Wasn't that a bug they supposedly fixed??

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jwalk wrote:
    Got you on global Friends but RFOM is not finding your player ID.

Turns out I played under my HK account for some reason, and not my regular one which is why it probably wasn't working. Should work now.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    By the way, for typing I want one of these:
    _MG_7716-thumb.jpg
    (Microsoft Entertainment Desktop 8000 Keyboard)

It's backlit, for those dark home theaters, how fuckin rad is that?
    _MG_7739-thumb.jpg
    Price though.... $250. Oh man, but I must have one!

It's Bluetooth too, but BT keyboards apparently don't work with the PS3 yet, without the USB dongle (they do work with the dongle but who wants that ugly thing?) but maybe they could fix that in a future update..

jwalk on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jwalk wrote:
    chrpnk wrote:
    jwalk wrote:

Player not found...
    ravien56
    Also not found.
    Make sure that's exactly how you spelled it? Caps etc..?

Everyone else invited.

I'm pretty terrible at this game, but I got to thinking... are you able to use the USB keyboard/mouse to play? If so, rock the hell on.

I am somewhat disappointed in the online custom games; everyone has rockets and infinite ammo on, it seems, so every game is a spawn, die, spawn, throw some grenades, die, spawn, rocket to the spleen, die...

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jwalk wrote:
    It's Bluetooth too, but BT keyboards apparently don't work with the PS3 yet, without the USB dongle (they do work with the dongle but who wants that ugly thing?) but maybe they could fix that in a future update..

I heard somewhere they were going to add bluetooth keyboard/mouse support in a future firmware update.

I fixed the problem with my handle not showing up. Turns out I was on my HK account when I played this online for some reason. I just logged into the online portion using Charpunk, so it should work now.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    are you able to use the USB keyboard/mouse to play? If so, rock the hell on.
    I don't think so. It would be quite the unfair advantage. I know people shit all over themselves when someone h@xored the Xbox to use a keyboard/mouse with Halo...
    I am somewhat disappointed in the online custom games; everyone has rockets and infinite ammo on, it seems, so every game is a spawn, die, spawn, throw some grenades, die, spawn, rocket to the spleen, die...
    Those are a fun diversion right now since stats aren't working anyway (I guess?) but yeah most people want to play ranked games for the stats. I just wish you could choose which game type to join, other than "free for all" or "team based game".

Sometimes it puts me in 32-player Meltdown (omg rox0r) and sometimes it puts me in 8 player deathmatch with only 5-6 players (teh sux!!) Wtf is that about?

jwalk on
  • Options
    UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Right, Got it set up,. My uh.. Gamertag...? is Urishizu .Add me up and I'll try to go through this list and add you kids. The single player game is fucking tough though, so I hope the multiplayer isn't as crazy.

UberEv on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I like how after you finish the SP, you unlock new weapons when you play the SP again.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    UberEv wrote:
    Urishizu
    Player not found.. You want in the RFOM clan? Have you gone online yet?

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jwalk wrote:
    UberEv wrote:
    Urishizu
    Player not found.. You want in the RFOM clan? Have you gone online yet?

I haven't played Resistance online yet, maybe I need to do that before it's active. I thought it was our online account name that we used for stuff like this. I'm still very new to the system.

UberEv on
  • Options
    GadeusGadeus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I bought a PS3 and this game today, and I'm having a blast online. I haven't really touched the single player, but I've had a blast playing the multi-player all day. My tag is Gadeus, if anyone wants to add me, I don't have a headset or USB keyboard for communication however.

Gadeus on
    Brawl Code: 2105-8329-7282
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Does anyone know of any screenshots or can tell me of the town that [spoiler:98672303c3]the Somerset level[/spoiler:98672303c3] is set in? It's my home county, and it has been immortalised in a video game! Awesome! (although it was too in Broken Sword 3, but no-one bought that)

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Alright I've played online as Urishizu so it should work now to invite me. It's actually pretty fun online overall.

UberEv on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    It's awesome, I just wish stats worked.

I'll be home about 6pm PST to add you.
    I don't have a headset or USB keyboard for communication however.
    I doubt very many people have these yet. 8)

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    We seriously need a list of players (mine is listed somewhere in this thread) in th OP... it's time.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    We seriously need a list of players (mine is listed somewhere in this thread) in th OP... it's time.

I agree.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    UberEv wrote:
    Urishizu
    Invite'd

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these;
    B0007WWAGI.01-A1NDBS7YGOPBD6._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    Motorola HS850 Bluetooth Headset - $49.99 at Amazon

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jwalk wrote:
    UberEv wrote:
    Urishizu
    Invite'd

That's the one I use, works well. Only problem I have it, is you have to sync it to the PS3 everytime you turn it on. Not really that big of a deal though.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jwalk wrote:
    UberEv wrote:
    Urishizu
    Invite'd

I will now look in every menu possible to find where an invite might lie.

UberEv on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    UberEv wrote:
    I will now look in every menu possible to find where an invite might lie.

Go to Multiplayer, then once in the main menu, press select. That'll bring up your buddy list. The invite should be there.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    Bok ChoiBok Choi Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Does anyone else get weird connection issues- like losing connection between games?
    I am not sure if it's Resistance or my wireless acting up.

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <ProfMoriarty> oh yeah. one time I PMed a picture of my penis to a forumer, and then I got a PM from Thanatos saying "nice girth"
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bok Choi wrote:
    Does anyone else get weird connection issues- like losing connection between games?
    I am not sure if it's Resistance or my wireless acting up.
    Mine does but I guess it's because of my around 15% strength signal, it'll improve once I go back to my dorm.

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Using wired connection, I have not been dropped once and everything has run perfectly smooth... have probably played 200 rounds and the only issues are OTHER people that look like they are lagging, but they haven't been a problem since I usually just ignore them on my way to the next node 8)

Seriously, used wired connection for games... CAT6 is cheap - $4.80 for 25 feet.... or $11.55 for 100 feet!

jwalk on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Okay, so I'm all Resistanced up. My gamer.... uh... code is rogerwilco - can I get an invite?

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If only I could play this game in 1080i. I can't get the update for some reason because it always fails the connection test, even though it obtains an IP. So I'm kind of stuck with 480p on this widescreen 1080i TV and I get these bars on the side of the screen. Argh!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Guardian LegendGuardian Legend Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    How does the game handle 40 players online? Does one player host the game on a measley DSL or cable modem? o_O

One of my biggest probs with Gears of War and Rainbow Six Vegas 360 games is that the host has an advantage over everyone else, plus they can kick people out for the heck of it.

I want some T3/T1 hosts..

Guardian Legend on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Dashui wrote:
    If only I could play this game in 1080i. I can't get the update for some reason because it always fails the connection test, even though it obtains an IP. So I'm kind of stuck with 480p on this widescreen 1080i TV and I get these bars on the side of the screen. Argh!
    WAIT!
    there is a 1080i update, since when?

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <ProfMoriarty> oh yeah. one time I PMed a picture of my penis to a forumer, and then I got a PM from Thanatos saying "nice girth"
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Bok Choi wrote:
    Dashui wrote:
    WAIT!

I thought one of the newest updates let you play games in 1080i? At least I thought I remember reading that... I'll have to pop Resistance in and give it a try. I can't stomach playing it with the bars on the side; it doesn't look that great that way.

Edit: Grrrr. It's still scrunched up with the bars on the side. Dammit Sony, why can't you have a proper scaler?

Dashui on
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Are the gameplay comparisons to Call of Duty 3 accurate?

I hated CoD3.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Are the gameplay comparisons to Call of Duty 3 accurate?

I hated CoD3.
    CoD is a lot slower game play in my opinion.
    This has a good mix of waiting stuff out and rushing shit with a shotgun.
    While you are drunk.

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    How does the game handle 40 players online? Does one player host the game on a measley DSL or cable modem?
    Hell no. All the servers are hosted by Sony.
    No there is not. Resistance is still 720 and that's not likely to change soon.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    This is pretty intense. The levels seem to get better as you play. I got to the level they first showed off of the game, where you're dropped in via helicopter with entire squads of British soldiers, charging a battlefield with artillery explosions all around you. Good fun!

Edit: HOW DO I BEAT THE CATHEDRAL! Oh my God I'm getting my ass kicked right from the start. I can make it past the "first part" but no further.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Shoot stuff a lot, until it dies? That's what I did...

For the spider things, just use the Carbine and backpedal when you have to. Then when those bigger guys appear, switch to something with some more uumphf, I think you have the Auger at that point. It wasn't that hard, I'm playing on "medium' though... I thought the bit before that was harder, the outdoor area with approx 4,500 hybrids...

One tip is, let the AI guys do some work while you sit back and pick them off from distance. The AI guys are just cannon fodder, there seems to be an infinite supply of them... so use them. When you are hurt, back off and let them cover for you while you heal up. Try not to let a whole bar go down of course..

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Dashui wrote:
    This is pretty intense. The levels seem to get better as you play. I got to the level they first showed off of the game, where you're dropped in via helicopter with entire squads of British soldiers, charging a battlefield with artillery explosions all around you. Good fun!

Edit: HOW DO I BEAT THE CATHEDRAL! Oh my God I'm getting my ass kicked right from the start. I can make it past the "first part" but no further.

Even on Easy, this is a VERY tough level, partly because (I think) of poor checkpoint placement. And, as an aside, the difficulty goes up exponentially on normal.

As for what I did...

Run straight ahead almost to where the boarded up entrance is, and bear to the left, pick up the frag grenades. Run back to the southwest corner of the room, shotgun at the ready. There should be one AI ally near you, towards the place where you started. You can earn yourself easy hero points if you cover him during the fight.

Just keep shotgunning the little ones. If you get flanked or overrun, toss a 'nade at your feet and run towards where you started. The bullseye is great here too, once your shells are empty.

The real bitch of the level is your first encounter with the Auger toting chiemra. They're VERY good at predicting where you're running, so the best you can do is take your beatings, or run up close and whack them with your rifle butt.

Oh... and just for later on (two levels, I think):

[spoiler:5ce2694d24]When you fight the big robot, use NOTHING but the carbine. It's easier than it sounds, since it shoots pretty straight. Easy skill points[/spoiler:5ce2694d24]

Also, and I hadn't this happen before, but just for fun, let a dog pounce of you. That's a heckuva love bite.

DietarySupplement on