As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BL. Tim Schafer: We made a patch already! Call EA and tell them to post it!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Stigma wrote: »
    The RTS elements are... well who cares. You kill the enemy, take the fans, spawn some guys and try to make sure they're all fighting the enemy. That's it, the hard part is making sure your guys aren't wandering around doing something stupid, if you can do that you'll most like beat the computer anyway.

You're doing it wrong.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    143999 wrote: »
    Lunker wrote: »
    things like the Legends and the Motor Forge can easily be missed if you're driving around really fast and don't hear Eddie's vague audio cues over the blaring soundtrack.

Not to be a stickler here, but with the exception of however many story missions you do beforehand, you don't get access to the game's blaring soundtrack until you find that first Motor Forge.

From what I recall, the game does a pretty good job dumping you right into the face of a motorforge after an early cutscene as well.

It's like, they dump you into the game right in front of an altar that gives you the solo to summon the deuce, you do this, and drive towards the mission objective and the motorforge is right there. Eddie even says something about it, indicating you should stop.

Really, if someone manages to miss that, the problem isn't with the game. The only way they could have been more obvious is if they paused the game and threw up a message "HEY DUMMY, STOP HERE. IN FRONT OF THIS BIG ENGINE. CAST RELIC RAISER."

xzzy on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    The RTS elements are... well who cares. You kill the enemy, take the fans, spawn some guys and try to make sure they're all fighting the enemy. That's it, the hard part is making sure your guys aren't wandering around doing something stupid, if you can do that you'll most like beat the computer anyway.

You're doing it wrong.

Oh I'm doing it wrong?
    I walk up, facemelt, everything dies, I rally, take the geyser, repeat until victory.
    Usually I have the rally flag on my back.
    I would assume that if I were doing it wrong I would lose.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's been a long time since any game I've played has simply been so *bad* that I had to stop playing it.
    I'll try again later.

If this is a genuine reaction and not internet hyperbole then I'd recommend not picking it back up. If you had such a poor visceral reaction to the experience, what on earth do you think will change to allow you to enjoy your time spent?

Paradiso on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cantido wrote: »

You're doing it wrong.

He didn't say he was losing, so I'm not sure you can call it "doing it wrong" if he's able to beat the AI doing it.

And... apparently he already said that!

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Paradiso wrote: »
    It's been a long time since any game I've played has simply been so *bad* that I had to stop playing it.
    I'll try again later.

If this is a genuine reaction and not internet hyperbole then I'd recommend not picking it back up. If you had such a poor visceral reaction to the experience, what on earth do you think will change to allow you to enjoy your time spent?

I'd like to see the story through and maybe unlock some good music to listen to. The gameplay is definitely just a means to an end for this.

Stigma on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll try again later.

I'd like to see the story through and maybe unlock some good music to listen to. The gameplay is definitely just a means to an end for this.

I found this awesome trainer program you can use to get all the music: brutal legend unlocker

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    I'll try again later.

I found this awesome trainer program you can use to get all the music: brutal legend unlocker

Cute. Though you make a good point.

Stigma on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Mr Crowley...

Uh... that's it? Really? Someone said they were moved by that?
    It cuts in, plays a 20 second scene, the end.

Wow... And did it ever take me long to get there after making my post too.
    I think on this note, I'm done.

Stigma on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd say it's worth finishing the story, just to say you did. And if you check my posts, I have a lot of hate issues with this game, too.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    How far am I?

Stigma on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Why does everyone feel like they have to come in here to bitch about why they don't like this game? I don't get it.

Though, I'll admit, this is the first time I've seen a 'inferior graphics and physics' complaint.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mr Crowley...

Uh... that's it? Really? Someone said they were moved by that?
    It cuts in, plays a 20 second scene, the end.

Wow... And did it ever take me long to get there after making my post too.
    I think on this note, I'm done.

Wonderful.

The game has flaws, believe it or not, those of us who like the game realize that. It's not like we don't see them. We just see the good and are willing to play it for that.

You probably would've been more interested in Brutal difficulty, since in that the stage battles actually carry the chance of failure. This game isn't really about the difficulty, though. If you were looking for a tuned-to-the-wire, ultraresponsive action game, you might have wanted to check for a "Gaiden" or "May Cry" in the title.

What this game is about, largely, is exploring a totally tits-awesome world filled with the metallest fucking scenery you ever did see. If you don't want to explore, if all you do is go from story mission to story mission, yes, you will be displeased. If you can't find the circle button (It's the red, round one) to skip the repeated talk between Eddie and the ambush crew, death rack guy, whatever, you'll be disappointed that in fitting in hours and hours of music they didn't record 35 different conversations for what is, essentially, a meaningless grind quest you do so you can go buy sweet axes and bigger engines for your car.

Also, the multiplayer is, by most accounts of people who've given it a serious go, pretty awesome, because that pansy run in do three things, win forever shit doesn't happen, because you're facing someone who can do that, too - and better.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Honestly at this point you should just stick it out to the end. If you just did Mr. Crowley, you only have 3 or 4 more story missions. Then you can come back and bitch about the ending. Because the ending is certainly bitch worthy. Almost everyone else who's finished the game has come back here and bitched about it, myself included.

As far as your point about the stage battles and just facemelting and rally flag carrying your way to victory -- Lots of people have criticized the game because it does an exceedingly poor job of preparing you for the multi-player experience. You basically have to relearn the entire game just to play MP. The AI in the campaign is so incredibly lax and forgiving and downright easy that you can pretty much slide by playing like crap. I beat the whole game with nothing but Razorgirls and whatever few units they started me with. And that was on Brutal difficulty.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kor:
    This is where you people should post impressions, thoughts, concerns, questions and discourse in regards to Brutal Legend.
    It's not exclusively a Tim Schaefer cock suck.

Also, if I only have 3 or 4 main missions left I have an issue with it's length.
    I'm not coming in here to shit on anyone's parade, I'm just being honest. There's a reason I'm playing this to begin with and it wasn't because I wanted to have negative material for this thread.

Stigma on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    Why does everyone feel like they have to come in here to bitch about why they don't like this game? I don't get it.

Though, I'll admit, this is the first time I've seen a 'inferior graphics and physics' complaint.

Because everyone wants to love this game. We all respect Tim, and the ideas behind this game are fantastic. We're just let down by the actual product.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I didn't realize you were attempting to start a discussion. Somehow, your comments didn't come off that way. Somehow.

What I got was "I have the same complaints that about a dozen other people have already voiced in this thread, plus I don't like the graphics"

Kainy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kor:
    This is where you people should post impressions, thoughts, concerns, questions and discourse in regards to Brutal Legend.

I didn't say it was.

What we typically do in here is discuss multiplayer strats and such, you know, constructive things.

Now, if you're having a crappy time in the game, I'm sorry, but rather than bitching, why don't you ask how to improve your time?

Of course, I doubt we could find anything for someone who is stuck on the 'inferior graphics and physics'.

heh... I'm sorry, but that's just so ridiculous.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kor:

I didn't say it was.

What we typically do in here is discuss multiplayer strats and such, you know, constructive things.

Now, if you're having a crappy time in the game, I'm sorry, but rather than bitching, why don't you ask how to improve your time?

Of course, I doubt we could find anything for someone who is stuck on the 'inferior graphics and physics'.

[Turbo Sarcasm]I, for one, disliked how flat and unexpressive all the characters' facial animations were.

I mean, seriously, could they show any less emotion? :lol:[/ts]

Kainy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kor:

Also, if I only have 3 or 4 main missions left I have an issue with it's length.
    I'm not coming in here to shit on anyone's parade, I'm just being honest. There's a reason I'm playing this to begin with and it wasn't because I wanted to have negative material for this thread.

Here you go: My impressions from a few pages back. I think you'll find that not everybody here is sucking Tim Schafer's cock.

A summary of my feelings of this game are this: I enjoyed the humor and world of Brutal Legend, but the gameplay was a bit of a letdown in almost every aspect. Earlier in the thread, or perhaps it was the first thread, I compared this game to Spore. It feels like a random assortment of genres pieced together to form a really unsatisfying genre-blender. No single element is very strong on its own. The hack'n slash is weak. The car drives like crap. The Stage battles are like watching kindergartners play herd ball (soccer).

But at the same time, I was able to look past all that because I really enjoyed the metal world, and despite the flaws, I had a fun enough time with the multiplayer. Except when I was losing to baron rushers.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kor:

I didn't say it was.

My intent was to post a summary of my experience with the game in order to start a discussion. Mission successful, although you think I'm stuck on the graphics. I'm hardly STUCK, I mentioned it because it's true. It's obvious from the moment you load the demo. It's not a big deal at all, but I expect a game that's lacking in pure flair to make up for it in some other manner or at the very least live up to common standard.
    I'm not a graphic whore or whatever you may think. I did walk out and buy this.

I'm pretty sure I'll have finished the game by the time you're done flaming me ;)

Lucas:
    Yeah I remember reading your impressions now. The spore comment is quite apt. Though I enjoyed the space stage of Spore alot more than most people, that's just one of those things. You know, opinions.
    I can probably write up a more negative review of Spore than what I've written about this game, and yet I would still spend hours playing it.
    This on the other hand won't last beyond the closing credits.
    By the way, wasn't accusing everyone of being on Tim's bone, just reminding Kor.
    It's alright. He likes the game and is offended when I attack it.

Stigma on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    See what throws me off, though, is that everyone around here agrees the game has faults. Some more than others, but yes, we know there are faults.

You, however, are the first person on this board to ever say you didn't like the games graphics, it's like one of the few things everyone in this thread agrees on.

What was it about them you didn't like exactly? Not enough brown? Were they too cartoony and should have been on the Wii or something stupid?

And what the hell do you mean lacking in pure flair? Again, thats what a lot of us here on this board would agree this game does have, is great flair.

Now, if you wanted to complain about the story, go for it, it has it's weak moments.
    If you wanted to complain about Fire Baron rushes in multi, go for it.
    If you wanted to debate about how the game doesn't hold you hand enough, go for it, we have the discussion all the time.

However, I just don't see how anyone could dislike the graphics/physics, and the flair, now.

Kor on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I actually thought the overall presentation (graphics, the world, etc) along with the music were really what elevated this game above just being average. I thought the characters were really well done and showed quite a bit of emotion through facial expressions alone, which was unexpected. Voice acting overall was great as well (especially Tim Curry).

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    See what throws me off, though, is that everyone around here agrees the game has faults. Some more than others, but yes, we know there are faults.

You, however, are the first person on this board to ever say you didn't like the games graphics, it's like one of the few things everyone in this thread agrees on.

What was it about them you didn't like exactly? Not enough brown? Were they too cartoony and should have been on the Wii or something stupid?

And what the hell do you mean lacking in pure flair? Again, thats what a lot of us here on this board would agree this game does have, is great flair.

Now, if you wanted to complain about the story, go for it, it has it's weak moments.
    If you wanted to complain about Fire Baron rushes in multi, go for it.
    If you wanted to debate about how the game doesn't hold you hand enough, go for it, we have the discussion all the time.

However, I just don't see how anyone could dislike the graphics/physics, and the flair, now.

Wow, you're very defensive.
    Okay I'll talk about the graphics since you asked me to. Like I said before, their failing is a minor note that doesn't bother me.

Okay.
    So the environment itself is very low poly count and for some strange reason I get this sense that I'm miniaturized. The models themselves alot smaller than most games. I don't mind cartoony, cartoony is awesome.
    There are a number of animation issues that are difficult to describe. Attack animations are very stiff and sudden. When a character turns to face another direction it's primitive in the way the model simply rotates. There's very little if any contact between interacting characters. The whole thing tends to feel incredibly out of date.
    As far as physics, I'm speaking about the car handling. Do I really need to try and describe what specific things I don't like about that?

Like I said, this stuff doesn't bother me much at all, but if you think this game is technically at a modern standard you're in denial. When I played the demo I assumed that the technical antiquity might be the result of effort spent elsewhere since this *is* from Schaefer. Apparently not. That's what bothers me.

Please don't make me talk about graphics and shit anymore.

Oh by the way, I'm talking in-game not cutscene. Yes I agree completely that facial animation and whatnot in the cutscenes is well done.

Stigma on
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Stigma, have you tried the multi player yet? I'm not trying to be a smart ass(i haven't even played the full game), but great multi player can easily save an otherwise average game.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No I'm pretty sure I'm no the one in denial here, as there has yet to be a single other person complaining about the graphics like you have.

I will admit I have pretty low standards when it comes to graphics, but I certainly never felt like I was playing a game from last generation or anything.

So wait, the graphics are different between in-game and cutscene? I never noticed if they are.
    Please don't make me talk about graphics and shit anymore.

Aww... it's okay I guess I'll leave you alone, poor wittle guy.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Don't have a gold membership at the moment. Will probably pick one up alongside MW2.
    Funny thing, the stage battle I'm doing right now is probably the best one so far.

Now I guess I'll need a cheat to unlock all the music.

Stigma on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No, I think Stigma's observations on the graphics are all correct. I noticed most of that as well, but I didn't really care. What they did works well for what it is, and it's consistent throughout. That's really all I ask. I'm not a graphics whore, though, so my standards are pretty low.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    No, I think Stigma's observations on the graphics are all correct. I noticed most of that as well, but I didn't really care. What they did works well for what it is, and it's consistent throughout. That's really all I ask. I'm not a graphics whore, though, so my standards are pretty low.

I agree completely. I've said it so many times now. This stuff doesn't bother me but it's true.
    Kor just chooses to focus on one sentence in my initial post and go to town trying to paint me as someone who wrote off the game based on graphics which "everyone else thinks are perfect". So very one dimensional.
    The last post he directed at me is laughable and quite rude.

Stigma on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kor thinks the game is the second coming of [strike]Christ[/strike] Sacred 2. Naturally he's going to defend it, because he really likes the game. I don't begrudge him that. I'm kind of in the middle myself.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Kor thinks the game is the second coming of [strike]Christ[/strike] Sacred 2. Naturally he's going to defend it, because he really likes the game. I don't begrudge him that. I'm kind of in the middle myself.

Gathered that.
    Man speaking of which, Sacred 2 was a little rough around the edges:winky:

Stigma on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Alright, I apologize, I'm overreacting a bit.

However, I feel that maybe if you didn't come in with a bullet list of everything you dislike about the game to start off your discussion, we could have had a bit more of a discussion.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Bullet list of things I do like.

Metal
    Jack Black
    Ozzy
    Most dialogue
    and metal.

oh and lemmy.

Stigma on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Did you finish it yet Stigma?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Bullet list of things I do like.

Metal
    Jack Black
    Ozzy
    Most dialogue
    and metal.

oh and lemmy.

Voice Acting in General
    Lots of good dialog
    Consistently themed world of awesome
    Machine Gun Eddie

Houn on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I plan on hanging onto this until Double Fine gives us some sort of indication as to the direction they are planning to go with future DLC. If all of the DLC is going to be nothing but multi-player map packs, I'll probably play the story once more and then trade the game in.

If, however, they state that they're going to expand the single-player experience and perhaps fill in some holes and add more missions, I'll probably hang onto this for a lot longer.

I enjoy the multi-player, but I'm a realist, and with as many other good games out and coming out as there are, I know I won't spend much more time with Brutal Legend multi.

I haven't posted an official list in Houn's Backlog thread, but I have a pretty substantial backlog, just of new games. My old games backlog is so huge that I don't even like to think about it.

The point is, the DLC will make or break my continued interest in this game.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Did you finish it yet Stigma?

No, I'm in a stage battle with the goths and as soon as I destroyed the towers with the rock crusher they spawned about a million units and I've had to start that battle over.

Right now I'm going to have to chat with my nephew about his "hardened edition" and try not to laugh too much.

Stigma on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    hardened edition?

Kor on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    hardened edition?

CoD:MW2

Okay so this battle has beaten me now. I do just fine until I destroy the two towers and that seems to trigger an onslaught of overpowered units who kill me in one hit.
    Tips or shall I just go pawn this?

Stigma on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    hardened edition?

CoD:MW2

Okay so this battle has beaten me now. I do just fine until I destroy the two towers and that seems to trigger an onslaught of overpowered units who kill me in one hit.
    Tips or shall I just go pawn this?

Wait... so you're destroying the tower with your rock crusher, and then the enemy is sending a crap ton of units at you?

Are you using your solos? Battle Cry Specifically.

Also, can you not use your rock crusher's double team on the incoming wave?

Kor on
This discussion has been closed.