As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] UI thread with totally outdated OP

• Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How can I do multiple things in an alt section of a macro, e.x

/cast [mod:alt] Mana Tide Totem, /raid mana tide totem down ; Mana Stream Totem

Using something like that would just do /raid Mana Stream Totem.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    /cast [mod:alt] Mana Tide Totem; Mana Stream Totem
    /stopmacro [nomod:alt]
    /raid Mana Tide Totem down

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    /cast [mod:alt] Mana Tide Totem; Mana Stream Totem
    /stopmacro [nomod:alt]
    /raid {square}{cross}{triangle}!!!MANA TIDE TOTEM DOWN!!!{triangle}{cross}{square}
    /say {square}{cross}{triangle}!!!MANA TIDE TOTEM DOWN!!!{triangle}{cross}{square}
    /raid {square}{cross}{triangle}!!!MANA TIDE TOTEM DOWN!!!{triangle}{cross}{square}

Fixed for a more typical macro setup.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mana tide is still party-only so if you put it in /p it will stand out more and not confuse everyone else.

captaink on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    if you're not using local defense and sending at least two tells to your raid leader, you've done something wrong

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I always prefered the ones that say it in area chat.
    Makes it easier for me to find where they are quickly.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So...I've been using Shadowed Unit Frames for a while now, but there isn't a way to make the cast bar bigger without just making the frame huge. Does anyone have a better unit frame addon?

I also just rolled a DK and was wondering if there's a good rune bar addon I could get somewhere.

Toothy on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pitbull is great for unit frames (infinitely customizeable to your preference, just the intial setup takes some time) and Quartz is the best for cast bars. Pitbull has some acceptable rune bar frames as well.

JAEF on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    Pitbull is great for unit frames (infinitely customizeable to your preference, just the intial setup takes some time) and Quartz is the best for cast bars. Pitbull has some acceptable rune bar frames as well.

Pitbull also has acceptable cast bars that I use instead of Quartz. Easy to set up along with the actual frame.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I think I remember Pitbull being a pain, but I'll look at it. Thanks, guys.

Toothy on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    I like xperl a lot, but I've had a problem with it recently where I need to open the menu to refresh buff display

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone know if there is a similar addon to Failbot that is still maintained? Its useful to know who is screwing up. :)

LockeCole on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Okay, this keeps biting me in the ass on the first pull in heroics when the queue finally comes up.

Can I make a macro that is something like

/castsequence [harm] reset=3 Bloodthirst, Raging Blow
    /cast [noharm] Survey

Arrath on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, which addon would allow me to move Blizzard's UI around? I'm trying to be really lazy this expansion, and I just want to move the built in Blizzard bars closer to my character. Could I just use Pitbull?

Edit: Nevermind! With some googling and finagglin', I made a really awesome macro:

/run RuneFrame:SetPoint("topleft", 403, -395)
    /run local f=PlayerFrame; f:ClearAllPoints() f:SetPoint("TOPLEFT", 535, -487) f:SetUserPlaced(true)
    /run local f=TargetFrame; f:ClearAllPoints() f:SetPoint("TOPLEFT", 635, -530)

So awesome.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    For cast bars I recommend Azcastbars:

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info7458-AzCastBar.html

I used to use Quartz but since Cata it gave me a ton of errors, this is more lightweight I think it much easier to config, plus it's modular (I use it for the bars and timers on me and my target).

The timers could use more filtering options but overall it's nice and simple.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Where are you guys keeping Grid these days? After so much time spent on DPS with my focus being center screen on my HUD UI 100% of the time I'm not liking the "look at top right or top left of the screen to heal" mentality.

Walt on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Walt wrote: »
    Where are you guys keeping Grid these days? After so much time spent on DPS with my focus being center screen on my HUD UI 100% of the time I'm not liking the "look at top right or top left of the screen to heal" mentality.

I see tons of people who keep their raid frames at the bottom-center of the screen, and you could use an action bar mod to place your actionbars columns at the top right or left

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    For healing most common is, as said above middle lower half, between unit frames either side and above action bars normally.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Toothy wrote: »
    So...I've been using Shadowed Unit Frames for a while now, but there isn't a way to make the cast bar bigger without just making the frame huge. Does anyone have a better unit frame addon?

I also just rolled a DK and was wondering if there's a good rune bar addon I could get somewhere.

I'm a pretty big fan of Stuf unit frames. I'm at work or I'd toss up a screenshot of how I have mine set up.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I like Stuf a lot too. I used to use Nurfed but I hated how terrible the updates were on that (seriously, every patch broke them and they'd fix them just in time for the next patch to roll out) and how bloated the thing was with crap I didn't want. Plus, because it was retarded, I had no way to modify my custom UI in-game, had to do it via LUA editing. Really, really messy (never did get Death Knight runes to work either.. that was patched in WAY late and then it looked like shit).

I was able to get a pretty similar-looking layout with Stuf though. The only problem I have with that addon is the author is a little pig-headed when it comes to any suggestions for improvements that doesn't fall into his philosophy for the thing. Like for example auto-adjusting font sizes (for names that are super long). Oh well. I also had to do quite a bit of custom LUA for a lot of my text frames just because the color tags and conditional statements he provides are really, really insufficient for a lot of things (i.e. like changing color for tapped mobs, etc). Though I almost don't mind because I actually learned something from that process :) Damn do I wish I could shrink really long names though....

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    korodullin wrote: »
    [spec:1] and [spec:2] are actual things?

Edit: Okay, fantastic. I got the following working as an example:

#showtooltip [spec:1] Heal; [spec:2] Greater Heal
    /cast [spec:1] Heal
    /cast [spec:2] Inner Focus
    /cast [spec:2][@mouseover] Greater Heal
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

It'll take some fiddling with, but I think I can get this working quite nicely.

I don't know if you can have more than 2+ castings like that in a macro. You might be able to get around it with a mod: though.

#showtooltip [spec:1] Heal; [spec:2] Greater Heal
    /cast [spec:1, @mouseover] [] Heal
    /cast [spec:2, mod:shift] Inner Focus; [spec:2, @mouseover] [] Greater Heal
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

Theoretically in spec 1 it should cast heal on priority mouseover else target
    If in spec 2, it should cast inner focus if shift is held, else greater heal on priority mouseover else target.

Of course I could be wrong but feel free to try and see what you get.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Can I macro video settings? It would be nice to switch between a prettier 'world' setting and a more bare-bones higher FPS raid setting.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    captaink wrote: »
    Can I macro video settings? It would be nice to switch between a prettier 'world' setting and a more bare-bones higher FPS raid setting.

You can. You should just be able to look through your config file for the setting names, then put them in macro preceded by /console.

So,

/console farclip #, etc.

Arrath on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Toothy wrote: »

This bugged me a lot since I need to see the enemy cast bar for interruption purposes, but I wanted to keep SUF. Adding in Quartz cast-bar mod fixed it (and it's actually a pretty nice mod in its own right), and they go together well aesthetically, if you care about that sort of thing.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I found a way to tweak some things and wound up sticking with SUF. I'll try quartz, too, though. That might help a lot.

Toothy on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Grobian wrote: »
    I also use Skada, because it works as both damage and threat meter. One less window on my screen and in combat I generally don't care about the damage meter anyway. (I guess you could configure Omen to only show IC and Recount to only show OOC and get the same result)

Has Skada been updated to saving boss fights for Cataclysm yet? It'd be nice to review my damage per boss after the instance finishes instead of the few seconds before the tank pulls >.<

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is there a way to use Revenge on my warrior if it's available or devastate if it's not?

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Is there a way to use Revenge on my warrior if it's available or devastate if it's not?

No. Macros/mods cannot change spells during combat anymore.

As for Skada, I think you can. I know it saves a lot of combat logs now, and I think there was a setting to only keep bosses or something.

captaink on
  • Options
    VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Does anyone have a decent UI suite or something similar for shaman? Looking particularly at healing in the future, and if possible I'd like to get used to it before I start healing heroics and the like. I tried the Ultimate Shaman UI over at wow-interface but it wasn't quite to my liking.

Or would it be more expedient to just start fudging with everything on my own? I'm really awful at setting all this UI stuff up, which is why I'm trying to find a suite or package of some kind.

Vahraan on
    PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I use HealBot for all my healing needs (and Decursive).

Have you tried them?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    BlehBlehAmigaBlehBlehAmiga Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Vahraan wrote: »
    Does anyone have a decent UI suite or something similar for shaman? Looking particularly at healing in the future, and if possible I'd like to get used to it before I start healing heroics and the like. I tried the Ultimate Shaman UI over at wow-interface but it wasn't quite to my liking.

Or would it be more expedient to just start fudging with everything on my own? I'm really awful at setting all this UI stuff up, which is why I'm trying to find a suite or package of some kind.

I typically just get everything myself so I can tweak it to how I like and to keep things minimal but presenting the important information I need in visible places. It can take a lot of addon-hunting and configuration time though, but I enjoy doing it. If you can dedicate some time to finding addons that do what you want and configuring them (read various addon threads, look at UI screenshot threads to get inspirations) it might turn out better in the long run.

That said there are a lot of good compilations that do a lot of things "good enough". TukUI, Elv's edit of TukUI is supposed to be nice, LUI, etc. Give them a shot and maybe you can just tweak them to your liking. If they don't have raid frames already (I'm sure they do), you can always do something like Grid/Healbot/Vuhdo which are all similar enough that it's just preference/config differences. Just look up misc specific config changes like making sure various raid debuffs you might care about are set up.

Even if you don't want it minimal, make sure you keep it clean so everything is visible. The raid/shit on the ground, etc. Try to lay things out so you don't have to tunnel vision things like raid frames and never look up at your character/what's going on. I like to mostly be looking near my character/the "game field" to know what's going on and have things arranged to facilitate that.

BlehBlehAmiga on
    ffbe ign: Kas
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Guys, you know what I miss about Vanilla?

Discord Unit Frames, Discord Action Bars. Those two mods made happier than any other UI I have used since.

I downloaded pitbull, and it just isnt the same - I want to separately configure my target, focus, and own health bars but it just wont let me do it. For example, I do not want to see my on buffs and debufs on my character bars - I just want to see them on my focus and target. Pitbull just configures it for all frames, regardless. Anyone have any suggestions as to a good UI mod that will let me do this, or am I SOOL?

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Guys, you know what I miss about Vanilla?

Discord Unit Frames, Discord Action Bars. Those two mods made happier than any other UI I have used since.

I downloaded pitbull, and it just isnt the same - I want to separately configure my target, focus, and own health bars but it just wont let me do it. For example, I do not want to see my on buffs and debufs on my character bars - I just want to see them on my focus and target. Pitbull just configures it for all frames, regardless. Anyone have any suggestions as to a good UI mod that will let me do this, or am I SOOL?
    Which version of pitbull are you using? Everything you want to do is possible in both versions 3 and 4.

edit: assuming you're using pb4, it sounds like you're just editing the normal layout (which all units are assigned to as default) instead of creating a new layout for different units.

create a new unit and give it the settings you'd like your target frame to have, then if you go to the units page (below layout editor on the left menu) you'll be able to assign which units use that new layout. This way I always end up with a player, target, target of target, focus and party layout each assigned to their respective unit through the unit page.

815165 on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    So Grid is just...ignoring changes I make to it.

"Hey grid, I want to know what targets have Rejuv via the right corner!"
    "Fuck off."
    "Oh awesome. I guess I'll download another mod just so you actually do what I want."

Seriously, though.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I miss discord too! That thing was so complicated that my brain melted the first time I looked at the configuration panel. Once I sacked up and dug into it, it was amazing.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I am having a lot of trouble with x-perl not displaying new buffs (I have to open the menu to refresh them) or allowing me to right click them off

is this something specific to x-perl or what

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Vahraan wrote: »

ZVomwl.jpg Click to embiggen.

Here's my UI which has evolved slowly over the course of several expansions as my tastes change, if you want an idea of what to go for. I'd really recommend using a custom setup. The initial setup is a bit of effort but you're far freer to tool around with the particulars.

Key mods:
    Dominos Action Bars with Cooldown for nice big cooldown counters. Easy setup. Bartender also works great, I just ran into issues with custom vehicle bars tanking my framerate, so I swapped over. They're pretty much the same.
    Grid with Grid Mana Bars for easily parsable mana/dead/disconnected raid status that doesn't take up ridiculous space.
    Healbot Continued for mouse healing. Love this mod, even though it can require a /reload every now and then due to not picking up proper party members. During standard raid/arena/rated BG combat (where people aren't constantly leaving/joining group) it's rock solid.
    Pitbull Unit Frames are the best unit frames out there in terms of depth of customization. These probably take the longest to set up out of anything since you can fiddle with literally every aspect of unit frames.
    Quartz casting bar. Best casting bar addon, moveable casting frames for everything.
    Totemtimers is hands down the best shaman addon. Nothing else even comes close. Takes a bit of customization to get just right.

Pure usability addons:
    Prat chat addon. Get it unless you want to take a look at your chat log and kill yourself.
    Bagnon for your bags. Get it. Get it now.
    Tiny Tip with Tiny Tip Options is still my favorite tooltip addon, even though it hasn't been updated in a while. Grab the alpha versions.
    Squeenix for a moveable square minimap with removeable junk buttons. Like the world map button. Fuck that button. No frills. Just a damn good map.
    Selljunk with a few seting changes automatically sells all grey items in your bags every time you open a vendor window. Best mod.

I'm used to just watching my bars for cooldowns from when I was playing enhancement so I keep everything (except healbot when healing) out of the center of my screen for maximum viewability during combat. Can't stand HUDs and other similar nonsense.

JAEF on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is probably heresy but....Ark Inventory > Bagnon. Seriously.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    More of a preference thing. I prefer to organize my bags manually so I have a good idea where everything is rather than have bags sort things into types, etc.

Try both! At once! Whatever floats your boat.

JAEF on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think...now that I've had some time with my Paladin and my baby Rogue (yay Combo Points) a HUD helps out.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg