As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] Keep on the Shadowfell - Recruitment finished, thanks to those who applied

• Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aieldar watches the goblin fall with satisfaction. "Hyah!" he yells raising his bow in triumph.

He quickly turns takes a few steps and aims at the final goblin standing.

He let's his arrow fly.

Someone mind rolling a Careful Strike for me? IC and Orokos are blocked at work once again.

Also mark the goblin as my quarry.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Still not pleased with the drake's insolent behavior, Samhradh drives it back a step with a burst of wind. With a little room to breath, he lets out a sigh, drawing his slowly draining reserves of energy. The sigh builds however, and a second burst of wind sends the drake onto and (hopefully) over the edge.

Mark the drake.

Wardens tempest shifting him to H-3.

Second wind, pushing him to I-4 and prompting a save. Also, I gain 12 hitpoints and +2 to all defenses.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    residueresidue Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rolled some dice for Ryadic.

Not sure if the modifiers are correct or what the result is but I clicked the dice icon next to Careful Attack so... :P

Careful Attack vs AC (ranged).: 1d20+11 24 1d10+1 7

residue on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The damage mod is actually +5, so it's 11.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thanks. I also rolled a D8 on my phone that came out to a 6 for the Hunter's Quarry. I can't link it for proof, so if you wanna use IC roll or Orokos roll, it's fine for me.

I got a dice app on my droid I can use, but you'll have to entrust that I'm being honest with my rolls.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Does Quarry do damage? Because with my orb and Ryadic's arrows we've already done 19 damage to someone with 20 hp. So if the Quarry does even 1 damage, that Goblin's dead as dead can be.

residue on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Talents can take it up to a D8, as with Rogues and Warlocks.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yes, it should be d8's for your extra Quarry dice.

I took a look at your character sheet, and you do have the Lethal Hunter feat, which steps up your Quarry dice from d6's to d8's.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Yes, it should be d8's for your extra Quarry dice.

I took a look at your character sheet, and you do have the Lethal Hunter feat, which steps up your Quarry dice from d6's to d8's.

I knew I was rolling d8s for a reason. Forgot it was for a feat, but a good feat I think.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Great Feat.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The drake flies clear of the rock flooring and drops like a stone to the floor below. Immediate danger now gone, Splug moves out from the corridor slapping backs and cheering.

"We did it, we got them!" He hops about then stops as the belt holding is velvet trousers starts to slip and grabs it. "Now we just need to get the drakes. That big one tried to bite my hand once." Indicating the one that Samhradh has just deposited on the floor.

The drake on the floor begins to stir as he points at it but wounded as it is just barely manages to gain it's legs, but still on fire. The one Nex has dealt with previously however, has no such problem and tears across the excavation to the rampway.
    Guard Drake A
    Saving throw vs Falling: 1d20 = 1. It falls like a rock.
    Fall damage: 1d10 = 2.
    Start of it's turn it takes 5 damage from Thud's Avenging Flame.
    Movement action: Stand from Prone.
    Saving throw vs Avenging Flame = 7. Failure.

Guard Drake C
    Movement action: Double move to H1.

Finally Thud gets to be the one to set something on fire!

Stats
    Nex
    HP 14/29 Bloodied
    AC 20; Fort 12; Reflex 17; Will 16

Akarr:
    HP 25/37 +8 Temporary Hit Points
    AC 19; Fort; 15 Reflex; 14 Will; 15

Thud:
    HP 30/38
    AC; 18 Fort; 15 Reflex; 13 Will; 17

Samhradh:
    HP 30/49
    AC; 18 Fort; 15 Reflex; 16 Will; 15

Mindartis:
    HP 26/29
    AC; 18 Fort; 12 Reflex; 17 Will; 15

Aieldar:
    HP 27/36
    AC 18; Fort 12; Ref 17; Will 15

Guard Drake A (J7) Marked by Samhradh
    HP 23/90 Bloodied
    AC 19; Fortitude 19; Reflex 17; Will 16
    Immune to Fear. (while within 2 squares of an ally)
    Bite (standard; at-will) +10 vs AC; 1d10 + 4 damage, or 1d10 + 9 damage while within 2 squares of an ally.

Guard Drake C (G2)
    HP 37/90 Bloodied
    Bite (standard; at-will) +10 vs AC; 1d10 + 4 damage, or 1d10 + 9 damage while within 2 squares of an ally.

Map:
    Area4-Round7A.jpg

Features:
    Illumination: Bright light.

Excavated Area: The excavated area is 10 feet below the level of the original floor. Anyone who falls off a plank or off the edge of a raised area into the excavation takes 1d10 damage and becomes prone.
    The walls are bare earth, and scaling them in either direction requires a DC 15 Athletics check. However,
    on any such attempt to ascend or descend a wall, there is a 50% chance (a roll of 1–10 on 1d20) that the earth crumbles and sends the character sliding down to the floor. A character who falls in this fashion becomes prone in the square where he began his movement but takes no damage.

Impassable Terrain: The area in the northwest corner of this area is where the goblins have piled the dirt they dug out of the room. No character or creature can move into these squares.

Planks: Any Medium creature attempting to move along a plank must make a successful DC 15 Acrobatics check or fall into the pit. If a character wearing heavy armor moves onto a plank, it snaps in half, sending the broken pieces and the character into the excavated area. The planks are not secured to the raised areas that they connect.

Ladders: Anyone climbing up or down a ladder moves at half speed, using 4 squares of movement to travel 10 feet. As a standard action, a character or a goblin can topple a ladder so that it falls into the excavation. A fallen ladder can be picked up and repositioned by a PC or a goblin that takes a standard action and succeeds on a DC 10 Strength check. The guard drakes are not capable of manipulating the ladders.

Ramp: The square along the south wall of this chamber that is adjacent to the raised area has been only partially dug up, so that it serves as a ramp between the original floor and the excavation. The goblins and guard drakes use the ramp to get into and out of the excavation.

Up Next: The Crew.
    On Deck: Drakes and Goblins and bombs oh my!

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    As the drake comes charging up the ramp, Samhradh meets it with a sword to the face, followed by a gust of wind, pushing it back down the ramp a bit. The wind continues down, around the corner, and into the second drake, driving it into the wall.

Mark Drake C

Gale Strike vs AC: 1d20+8 22 2d8+4 10 Drake C takes 10 damage and is slid to I1, Drake A takes 1 damage and is slid to H5.

Brody on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    And I tells ya, it feels good! We're eating roast Guard Drake tonight!

Thud laughs in satisfaction as the flaming lizard fall off the side of the embankment. "Heh! That'll yearn ya, foul beast!"

He then moves to the edge of the embankment, shoving Splug out of the way, and unleashes a Lance of Faith at the Drake below.

Minor Action: -
    Move Action: Move to F4 (if Splug won't move for Thud, then E4)
    Standard Action: Lance of Faith vs. Drake A 20 vs. Relex for 8pts of Damage

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Kelor, Drake C is the one that got thrown off the ledge/is on fire. I think you mixed up their tracking last round, their HP is way off.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nex spins and looks down at the Drake that so recently was attempting to disembowl him. Nex doesn't like this particular Drake, and so he drops a shroud around it and throws a shadow noose towards its neck. Alas, his aim is off, but he has faith that his fellow adventurers will have better luck dealing with these cold blooded b****rds.

I have bricked more times this battle than the rest of this adventure combined...

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mindartis goes up to the ledge (H3 if still available) and glares at the remaining drakes. "Oh die allready." he mutters and punches away a magic missile, hitting one of the drakes square in the side.
    Move: to H3.
    Minor: sustain sphere
    Standard: MM at Drake A.

Magic Missile vs Reflex: HIT for 10 points of force damage.

residue on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Aieldar watches as Splug jumps up and down in excitement. I'll never understand these creatures.

He takes an arrow from his back, loads it into his bow, tugs nicely onto the twine, and let's go taking aim at the nearest drake.

Did the die roll on my phone, which came out to 10 on the d20. Pretty sure that's a miss with Careful Strike. If not, the damage roll is 10. Without any damage bonuses. These are strictly the unmodified die roll.

I really gotta get a better system in place now that they blocked all RNG sites.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I can't really speak for everyone else, but I certainly dont mind hitting up orkos for you. All we have to do is hit the die button, and change the modifiers

Brody on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Move Action: Move to E1
    Standard Action: Flattening Charge on Drake occupying I1 (Charge to H1)

Attack Roll: 16, MISS

Actually Ryadic, 10 would hit that drake, but it doesn't really matter because I'm pretty sure Thud just killed it with the lance.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Kelor, Drake C is the one that got thrown off the ledge/is on fire. I think you mixed up their tracking last round, their HP is way off.

Sorry, I missed this. You are right, I had the two mixed up. The drake that went off the edge is now dead, just one remaining.

Aieldar's arrow pierces just behind the drake's ear, shattering the thinner bone and it finally slumps the floor. The rank stench of burnt goblin and drake flesh permeates the air as the lone remaining drake charges back up the ramp at Akarr and sinks it's teeth deep into his forearm.
    Standard action: Charge Akarr.
    Attack roll: 1d20+11 vs AC = 30. Hit!
    Damage roll: 1d10+4 = 11.

I'll skip the map since you've almost downed him.

Stats
    Nex
    HP 14/29 Bloodied
    AC 20; Fort 12; Reflex 17; Will 16

Akarr:
    HP 21/37
    AC 19; Fort; 15 Reflex; 14 Will; 15

Thud:
    HP 30/38
    AC; 18 Fort; 15 Reflex; 13 Will; 17

Samhradh:
    HP 19/49 Bloodied
    AC; 18 Fort; 15 Reflex; 16 Will; 15

Mindartis:
    HP 26/29
    AC; 18 Fort; 12 Reflex; 17 Will; 15

Aieldar:
    HP 27/36
    AC 18; Fort 12; Ref 17; Will 15

Guard Drake A (F1) Marked by Samhradh
    HP 23/90 Bloodied

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think that drake just charged through me, but whatever, we're gonna kill it this round and we seem to be going fast and loose

Standard Action: Viper Strike on Drake

Attack Roll: 11, MISS

Thrilling.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Fixeded, you sneaky devil.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Are we going fast and loose? Alright then...

Thud moves up to the Drake and swings his hammer, looking to brand the Drake. Righteously.

It doesn't work.

Minor: -
    Move: Move to position, flanking if possible (+2 not included in the below roll)
    Standard: Righteous Brand vs. AC = 14 MISS!!

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Either the drake charged through/over me, or provoked an OA from our favorite dwarf. And maybe me? I'm still not 100% kosher with movement rules. But if so, hell yeah, here comes an OA and an II.

Brody on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    One more drake to go. Aieldar pulls out another arrow. He carefully aims it as best he can and let's it fly.

Someone can go ahead and roll for me. And roll for a d8 for Hunter's Quarry if I'm able to mark him.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Just a basic ranged attack?

Brody on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Careful Strike. I RPed it saying "carefully aims" but forgot to mention it in the OOC portion.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Careful Attack vs AC (ranged).: 1d20+12 20 1d10+5 15

Brody on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Daddy needs 8 more to put this thing to sleep. Also, I am actually standing on front of Thud and Samhradh on the Ramp, between the drake and the party so there is no OA

Here's the Quarry roll 1d8=6. 2HP left, someone sneeze on it!

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    And Thud was over by the lip of the excavation taking out the other Drake last round. He moved in this round to try and strike the last Drake, so he doesn't get an opportunity attack.

C'mon Mindartis or Nex....put this overgrown gecko down! Thud wants some barbeque tonight!

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nex, angry and bleeding, steps through the shadows to appear right next to the final Drake. Striking out with an empowered swing, he slashes the lizard and makes it bleed crimson [Leaping Shades with a Shroud, 28 vs AC Hit (THANK YOU DICE GODS), 15 Damage].

I have totally lost track of if that's enough to drop it.

susan on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Dead drake. Extended rest time naow?

Poking the now dead drake with his toe, Samhradh looks around the room.

"Dead end."

Brody on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Akarr drops his guard and sighs with relief as Nex finishes off the drake with a squirting arc of blood. He ambles over to the nearest wall, leans over and promptly rests his back against it as he slowly slides down to come to a seated position, arms and legs splayed out widely.

God yes extended rest, I am totally spent on everything

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mindartis lowers his hands as he sees the final drake go down. The sphere behind him on the floor below staggers for a moment and then goes "pop" and disappears in a cloud of smoke. The wizard coughs a bit and spits out some blood, swaying some where he's standing.

residue on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nex stumbles over to Mindartis and helps to steady him, while also using the thin Elf to steady his own spent legs. Half turning back to the group, Nex waves and says, "C'mon, let's set up camp. I know a lot of really dirty songs I still need to teach you guys. Splug, can you lend us a shoulder?"

Gods I need a rest...

susan on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "Of course masters. Even such mighty people as we need rest sometimes, even though yourselves is having trouble keeping up with me." While you don't trust Splug to actually take care of your wounds (the rust spotted knife he offers looks decidedly unsanitary) he gets those of you wounded badly enough propped up so you can treat yourselves.

Once the wounds are stemmed he stops and looks at you. "Splug is going to go look for treasure." He proceeds to scour the room for richs. (Though you can't imagine what he expects to find in the chamber after

Okay, all done! Feel free to burn some surges to top yourselves up, or you may want to find somewhere safer to hole up for an extended rest after looking around the chamber.

You also find four gems on the bodies of one of the bombardiers worth 100 gold pieces each.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thud will dish out Healing Words and Heal checks as necessary. He will also borrow someones heavier blade to hack off a significant hunk of Drake flesh. Thud was serious about having BBQ'd Drake for dinner.

Would heading back to the Hobgoblin chiefs quarters be safe enough? Or all the way back to the torture chamber? That place had only one door in and out, IIRC. Not the nicest place for a nap though.

A nice extended rest would be ideal. I'm all out of everything too.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Idk, the table looked pretty comfy.

Plus the chiefs chambers had a solid lock on that door.

Brody on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Holing up in the Bedroom does seem to solve a lot of problems (if we keep eyes on both doors). That gets my vote.

susan on