As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On!]NEOTOKYO (HL2 Mod)

InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
NEOTOKYO

Intro-1.jpg

What is it?

NEOTOKYO is a free multiplayer mod for Half-Life 2 that is heavily insipired by the Ghost In the Shell series. Gameplay wise it is probably most similar to Counter Srike. Two teams battle eachother over the course of several rounds, and the first team to win 10 rounds wins.

Where do I get it?

http://www.neotokyohq.com/download.html

The Mechanics

What sets NEOTOKYO apart from other shooters is the high level of lethality combined with an emphasis on team work.You are quite likely to die many times when you are new from an enemy you didn't even know was there. To help ease players into the game, this OP will go over the mechanics of the game along with some basic strategy. Much of the mechanics information will be lifted directly from the NEOTOKYO site itself.

Teams:

There are two teams, Jinrai and NSF. There is no difference between the two sides mechanically, only visually. The teams swap spawn points every round.

Basic Mechanics:

Your whole team spawns at the start of the round. There is no way to heal damage and when you die you are dead until the next round. Caution and patience can really pay off.

Winning the round:

There are three ways to win a round:
1. Bring the Ghost to a capture point (the specific mechanics of this will be gone into later).
2. Kill all the members of the opposing team.
3. At the end of the five minute round if neither of the above conditions have been met the team with the most players left alive wins.

Universal abilities (available to all classes):

Iron Sights:

This game has no crosshairs while you are normally moving about. By pressing right click by default your character brings up his gun and a cross-hair appears on the screen. While you are using your iron sights you move slower.

Leaning:

Q and E by default make you lean to the apropriate side. This is very useful to take less damage from incoming fire. Remember though that bullets in NT will penetrate certain types of cover, so pay attention to what you are hiding behind!

Note: There is currently a bug in the game that is referred to as left lean glitching. The next patch plans to adress it, but, for now you are capable of, when leaning left, to be able to see and shoot your opponent without actually exposing any of your model. This is considered an exploit on all servers, so just make sure that the barrel of your gun clears the corner so no one yells at you.

neotokyo_lean.jpg

Reloading:

Reloading is handled as it is in most games with one important exception. When you reload you toss away all the bullets remaining in this clip. Don't be too reload happy or you may find yourself without any bullets left!

neotokyo_magtoss.jpg

Ranking up:

You gain rank by, over the course of several rounds, by doing one of four things:
1. Capturing the ghost
2. Helping your team capture the ghost (defend the ghost carrier, move the ghost partway)
3. Killing enemy operatives.
4. Surviving the round.

You lose rank for doing one of two things:
1. Killing yourself
2. Killing an ally

There are four ranks, and each higher rank will have more weapons unlocked:

Private: 0-3 XP
Corporal: 4-9 XP
Sergeant: 10-19 XP
Lieutenant: 20+ XP

As well, if your XP hits the minimum of -1, you can end up with the 'Rankless Dog' rank, at which you can only use the Machine Pistol.

From this you can see that it is best if you can capture the ghost, as it will next your team the most XP. Ideally you kill all the enemies on a team but one and then capture the ghost for maximum XP, but, easier said then done. The weapons and corporal and sergeant tend have some advantages over the standard weapons, but at lieutenant is where you see a real jump in weapon power. At Lieutenant, depending on your class, the most powerful sniper rifle opens up, a semi-automatic shotgun with a twenty round clip opens up, or even a heavy machinegun with a giant clip.Getting XP can make a big difference over the course of a match.

Squad up!:

By pressing the keys 5-9 you join the squad respective to that number. Generally you want to cycle through all the numbers and find the squad with the most people in it when you join a server. Normally the game places a semi-transparent cross of your teams color over your team mates that you can see through walls. However, this cross disapears if your team mates are too far away from you. If you are in a squad with someone the cross is clearer and can be seen at any distance. This helps you work with your team while cutting down on friendly fire.

Friendly Fire:

Friendly Fire is always on, on all servers. Be careful, shooting your own team not only is frustrating but potentially can cost your team the round. If you deal too much damage to your team mates your character's cyberbrain assumes you have been hacked by the opposing team and is programmed to kill you. Between the crosses and the distinct models for both teams it isn't too hard to tell who is on what team after a little practice however.

Class Specific Powers:

Thermoptic Camo:

This is one of the defining features of NT. This ability is available to the Recon and the Assault class. The Support class can not cloak. Recon can cloak for 13 seconds and Assault for 9 seconds. Cloaking is not invisibility. The more quickly you move the more visible you will be while cloaked. Even while standing still depending on what is behind you someone might be able to figure out where you are. Use shadows and uneven surfaces to help your cloaking be harder to detect. Your cloak recharges slowly over time. The camo also nullifies your heat signature, which can make you hard or easy to see, depending on if you are next to something hot or cold.

When you initially cloak it makes a distinct buzzing noise and a flash that can easily give you away:

neotokyo_thermopticsplash.jpg

Moving further increases your visibility:

neotokyo_thermopticcamo.jpg

Lastly, shooting with an unsilenced weapon produces a flash, and getting hit while cloaked might reveal a bloodspot on your body. As you rank up you will gain access to supressed weapons to help alleviate this. Suppressed weapons do less damage than their non-suppressed counterparts:

neotokyo_thermopticblood.jpg

Don't underestimate cloaking, used correctly it can make someone very hard to spot:

neotokyo_thermopticstill.jpg

Sprinting:

This ability is available to the Recon and the Assault class. Sprinting makes you move faster but makes you lower your gun. The Recon class has infinite sprint, while the Assault class has a limited sprint bar that refills with time. The Support class can not sprint. Sprinting exists in addition to the fact that the base move speed is fastest for the Recon class and slowest for the Support class. Moving with a weapon out other than your primary weapon (pistol, knife, grenade) makes you move slightly faster. In addition, if the Recon class jumps while sprinting they will performed a powered long jump, making them very mobile.

Vision Modes:

Every class has access to their own unique vision mode, which helps to further define their roles.

Night Vision (Recon Class):

neotokyo_nightvision.jpg
Functions as pretty standard night vision, makes it easier to see in the dark, doesn't work in bright areas.

Motion Vision (Assault Class):

neotokyo_motionvision.jpg
A very powerful vision mode. Nullifies the advantages of cloaking if the target is moving. Makes sniping against long range targets much easier. However, stationary targets, especially stationary cloaked targets, can be very easy to miss and the vision doesn't work through smoke.

Thermal Vision (Support Class):

neotokyo_thermalvision.jpg
Also a very powerful vision mode when combined with the support classes smoke grenades. The thermal vision allows you to see people with ease through a smoke cloud. Remember that cloaked enemies will appear as an absence of heat in this mode. While it is much harder to see, it is sometimes possible to notice a moving dark spot that represents an enemy, even through a smoke cloud. Because this is the only vision mode that can see through smoke, and each support carries two smokes it is essential that your team has some support, or the enemy will be able to advance or defend with a smoke screen very easily.

Grenades:

Every class has a different grenade.

The Recon class carries one detpack. This pack must be set, and then later remotely detonated. The detpack has a very large blast radius and is very powerful. It is very useful to deny a route for the enemy or to keep near the Ghost in case the enemy tries to steal it when you are not looking or out of position to respond.

neotokyo_weapondet.jpg

The Assault class carries one frag grenade. The blast radius isn't huge but the killing power is very high. This functions pretty much like a standard grenade in most FPS, but, you only get one, so make it count.

The Support class carries two smoke grenades. They produce a very thick cloud of long lasting smoke that is nearly impossible to see through without thermal vision, with luckily all Support come equipped with.

Capture The Ghost:

This is the game mode of NEOTOKYO. It is a variant on capture the flag. Each team will have one or more capture points located on the map. Depending on the map the Ghost will spawn in one of many possible fixed locations. Some maps have the Ghost spawn near the middle, some maps have the Ghost spawn near one teams spawns and has the capture point for that team being near by the enemy team's spawn.

neotokyo_cappoints.jpg
You want to bring the Ghost to your capture points and keep it away from the enemies.

neotokyo_whateveryone.jpg
The Ghost marker is always visible, at any distance, even through walls, for all players. Picking up the Ghost makes a loud warning noise for all players and is the equivalent of painting a big target on yourself. Remember that in NT bullets can pass through some surfaces so don't be surprised when people start shooting you through walls when you have the Ghost. Likewise, if the enemy team has the Ghost and you have the chance to shoot him through the wall, go for it!

neotokyo_ghostghost.jpg
When you pick up the Ghost you discard your primary weapon. You can wear the Ghost on your back and use your secondary weapons or you can hold the Ghost in your hands. Working with the player holding the Ghost is very important to your team's success.

neotokyo_ghostwhatyousee.jpg
If you hold the ghost as your primary weapon for a few seconds, enemies that are close enough will appear as symbols, even through walls, with their distance from you displayed. Relaying this information to your team mates via a mic is very important (don't pick up the chost if you don't have a mic unless you have to). This is a great source of intelligence for your team and if relayed well can swing matches.

Class Summary:

Recon:

Movement: Moves quickly and has unlimited sprint, can do a powered long jump.
Armour: Light.
Camo: Thermoptic. (last aprox. 13 seconds)
Vision: Nightvision.
Grenade: Detpack.
Beginning Weapon Loadout: 3 weapons.
Total Weapon Loadout: 9 weapons.

neotokyo_reconclass.jpg

Assault:

Movement: Moves at a moderate speed, has limited sprint.
Armour: Moderate.
Camo: Thermoptic. (lasts aprox. 9 seconds)
Vision: Motionvision.
Grenade: Frag.
Beginning Weapon Loadout: 6 weapons.
Total Weapon Loadout: 12 weapons.

neotokyo_assaultclass.jpg

Support:

Movement: Moves slowly, has no sprint.
Armour: Heavy.
Camo: None.
Vision: Thermalvision.
Grenade: Smoke x 2.
Beginning Weapon Loadout: 5 weapons.
Total Weapon Loadout: 12 weapons.

neotokyo_supportclass.jpg

GAME ON!

So, let's play this thing G&T! I've had quite a lot of fun with it so far. I'm more than happy to answer any questions or give any advice possible. The game is rough at first but stick with it! It's really quite fun.

I made a Steam group for us so we can find games with eachother in it more easily:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pennyarcadent

Alternatively, you can just friend me:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/piousflea

The game doesn't have the larget comunity and I'm usually on whatever server has the most players anyway, so I'm sure we will bump into eachother if you play.

Download Link:

http://www.neotokyohq.com/download.html

Inquisitor on

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Have they updated it with different game modes or respawning yet?

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Have they updated it with different game modes or respawning yet?

No, there is only the Capture the Ghost game mode and you don't respawn until the next round as in CS.

I don't know if the next patch for the game has any plans to add new game modes.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh. How about stuff like damage indicators or the unlock system? Or putting any of the awesome soundtrack into the actual game?

Have they changed anything since it came out I guess is what I'm asking.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Oh. How about stuff like damage indicators or the unlock system? Or putting any of the awesome soundtrack into the actual game?

Have they changed anything since it came out I guess is what I'm asking.

I don't really know, I pretty much stumbled on to the game about a week ago so I don't know if stuff has changed.

Damage indicators, by that do you mean little flashes telling you where you are being shot from? There aren't any of those in the game, which does take some getting used to.

You still unlock better weapons by accruing XP by killing enemies and winning rounds.

The soundtrack remains unimplemented, sadly.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Cool. No reason to come back.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I played this game once, but I won.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    goestotokyo.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Maybe I should try this again now that I have a decent pair of headphones with attached mic.

By the way, for those interested, the soundtrack is back in stock at CD Baby.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Clearly whoever designed this mod went to the Ryan Lennox school of ammo conservation.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Woo, new thread with most excellent OP.

I need to play this more, considering that I love it.

Drake on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mosok is king.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'll be more than happy to start up NT again. It's a fun game.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah. I just played a quick random pubbie. It's still fun. I can still shoot mans and die (almost) every round.

edit: Dickshots. It's all about the dickshots.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    http://www.neotokyohq.com/index.html

The first client side patch is out on Friday. Seven new maps, bug fixes and all that shit. Get in game you worthless fucks.

Drake on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Drake wrote: »

The first client side patch is out on Friday. Seven new maps, bug fixes and all that shit. Get in game you worthless fucks.

Great news! I'll actually have to get back into this; me and my friends had a lot of fun playing with you guys.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This is excellent. I really think this game needed some quick patching to keep its community - the population kind of died >.<

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »

Great news! I'll actually have to get back into this; me and my friends had a lot of fun playing with you guys.

Well it's about fucking time, they posted they were working on it at the end of August

I will so be up for some of this shit, it's a really quality mod

Maybe ch40s can get his server up again, if he wants

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Whether or not he gets his running again, we can always jump on some empty server out there in the wild.

Drake on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I would be all the fuck over this if I wasn't going to be out of town. Maybe over the weekend. If I'm not working. I don't even know.

Monger on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like how my graphics card hardly supports it so the various vision modes don't make everything look like an acid trip, the people just show up normally and all the smoke and lighting and whatnot disappears.

rayofash on
  • Options
    inlemurinlemur Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've been playing this since release. I enjoy it a lot, and most of the gripes people have, I had at first, but I understand now why the game is the way it is. Damage indicators, for example, will never be added and don't belong in a game like this. The unlock system isn't perfect but is only broken on broken maps (lol isolation).

The community has died out quite a bit, mostly due to the lack of control over hacks and exploits. Hopefully the update will fix this. There is (at least) one server that is heavily policed by admins, and hackers and cheaters are rooted out and banned. The server is run by Convict Gaming, and the ip is currently 66.55.159.145:27015. That's the only server I play on.

Another major problem with the game is the leaning mechanic. When a player is leaning left, his view is farther to the left than his model and hitbox. As a result, you can stand at a corner, lean left around it, and see and shoot other players while being invisible and nearly invincible. If you do this on the above server, you will be kicked, which can be problematic because a lot of people don't realize what they were doing wrong.

Hopefully these issues will be fixed in the update, because aside from that, the game is fantastic. Very steep learning curve, but very rewarding once you pick it up.

inlemur on
    XBL - remura
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    reminds me of helmet camming back in Firearms mod.

I think my biggest problem with the game is how the dev team seems to just be one giant weeaboo wankfest.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I love how fatal everything in this game is. I'm kind of vaguely getting the hang of things as a support, but I still feel like the plucky rookie that dies a useless and preventable death every round.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I love how fatal everything in this game is. I'm kind of vaguely getting the hang of things as a support, but I still feel like the plucky rookie that dies a useless and preventable death every round.

Think of yourself as a huge coward. Always let friends go first. Be slow and careful. Never run into an area if you think there may be bad dudes covering it.

Be sly. Drop demo packs in evil locations and watch from stealth. Get up into the rafters. Abuse your jumping.

Above all, regularly toggle your vision modes to spot naughties.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Support and Mosok is a good combination for newcomers.

Movement vision is great though as assault as your targets still make a nice silhouette even when they are not moving.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

General rule: On open maps, go support with a mosok rifle. If you don't you die.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Think of yourself as a huge coward. Always let friends go first. Be slow and careful. Never run into an area if you think there may be bad dudes covering it.

Be sly. Drop demo packs in evil locations and watch from stealth. Get up into the rafters. Abuse your jumping.

Above all, regularly toggle your vision modes to spot naughties.

I totally get this. I haven't stepped into "sly" territory yet, but I've totally got the cowardice covered. It's actually led to me getting tked once or twice as I wait in the corner while someone else waffles on whether or not to go through a doorway, gets shot, wheels around and guns me down in a fit of paranoia.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I totally get this. I haven't stepped into "sly" territory yet, but I've totally got the cowardice covered.

I always play recon when I play nT, and I think it breeds good habits - you can't win most fights unless you have used your abilities to give yourself an advantage. Plus the demo pack is the most fun you can have with your trousers on.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Don't forget, today is new patch day!

I wonder how much stuff is going to get broken?

Drake on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Looking forward to seeing exactly what changes are made

Also playing on those new maps. Bullet train team deathmatch yyyeeaaaaaahhhh

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    inlemur wrote: »
    There is (at least) one server that is heavily policed by admins, and hackers and cheaters are rooted out and banned. The server is run by Convict Gaming, and the ip is currently 66.55.159.145:27015.

If you do this on the above server, you will be kicked, which can be problematic because a lot of people don't realize what they were doing wrong.

Those Convict Gaming guys always seem to run the most stupid servers possible. I got in on one of their servers in ZPS once. Every few seconds a new message would be sent with a rule, for the entirety of the game. FF was turned off (which ruins that game), it was a 24/7 Biotech server, and if you tried to strategize by splitting up your team and having some members get to an objective early, you'd be slayed by an admin. No one who spoke a foreign language or was under the age of..16? was allowed to speak on voicechat. The list just went on and on.

Edit: My point being, I would suggest getting your own server going rather than going with these guys.

Endaro on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Endaro wrote: »
    Those Convict Gaming guys always seem to run the most stupid servers possible. I got in on one of their servers in ZPS once. Every few seconds a new message would be sent with a rule, for the entirety of the game. FF was turned off (which ruins that game), it was a 24/7 Biotech server, and if you tried to strategize by splitting up your team and having some members get to an objective early, you'd be slayed by an admin. No one who spoke a foreign language or was under the age of..16? was allowed to speak on voicechat. The list just went on and on.

Edit: My point being, I would suggest getting your own server going rather than going with these guys.
    It's exactly what their lame, cheesy ass, 1999 PC gaming name suggests: Convict Gaming.

You're literally held in contempt in their servers.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    inlemurinlemur Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Endaro wrote: »
    inlemur wrote: »
    There is (at least) one server that is heavily policed by admins, and hackers and cheaters are rooted out and banned. The server is run by Convict Gaming, and the ip is currently 66.55.159.145:27015.

If you do this on the above server, you will be kicked, which can be problematic because a lot of people don't realize what they were doing wrong.

I'm not going to defend any of their policies on ZPS or NT or any other game, I have nothing to do with them. However, fact is that they have single-handedly kept the Neotokyo community alive. For the last few months, there have been dozens and dozens of empty servers (this will probably change today due to the update), and there has been the CVG server.

They are not running any server mods on NT aside from a ranking system. At one point someone had hacked in an sv_pure type setting to check for maphacks (which were prevalent), I'm not sure if they're still using that or if they've found another solution.

inlemur on
    XBL - remura
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    NEW PATCH IS HERE

Let's get our own server up again, is what I say

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Interesting changelog. Lots of changes to the loadouts. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Drake on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm so ready for this game again. BRING IT ON

donhonk on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Great game! I'm busy this weekend but I'll boot it back up again tuesdayish.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    After hosting some personal games to take a look at the new maps, I can say that they continue the Neotokyo tradition of quality

It's really amazing how professional and great looking the map and level design are for this game

I have a feeling Redlight, VTOL and Bullet are going to be popular

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hype... growing.

donhonk on