Options

The Great [Backlog] Challenge! (OLD THREAD)

• Options
    thegloamingthegloaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm having a blast with Jedi Knight. Some of the platforming is actually pretty interesting and challenging. I also like how there are still instances where you'd want to use a gun instead of the lightsaber. Definitely glad I got the pack.

thegloaming on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm having a blast with Jedi Knight. Some of the platforming is actually pretty interesting and challenging. I also like how there are still instances where you'd want to use a gun instead of the lightsaber. Definitely glad I got the pack.

Can't you just force grab them from afar, or throw your saber at them?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Depends which Jedi Knight game it is. If it's Jedi Outcast/Academy, the only reason to get a gun out after you get your lightsaber is when you've got guys with those disintegrating sniper rifles on ledges around you. Not sure about Jedi Knight 1, since I haven't played it in like 15 years.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Castlevania The Dracula X Chronicles is difficult. Moreso than any game I've played probably since God Hand. The minions can kill you in a few hits and there are a whooole lot of minions to go through before tackling the boss (who are, at least at the moment, pretty easy stuff).

Up to Stage 4 at the moment and I can't even find the boss without losing my three continues. Damn blue knights! Why aren't you damaged by environmental hazards when I am :(

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Castlevania The Dracula X Chronicles is difficult. Moreso than any game I've played probably since God Hand. The minions can kill you in a few hits and there are a whooole lot of minions to go through before tackling the boss (who are, at least at the moment, pretty easy stuff).

Up to Stage 4 at the moment and I can't even find the boss without losing my three continues. Damn blue knights! Why aren't you damaged by environmental hazards when I am :(

I just went through the game and it was pretty satisfying. I'm not sure if you haven't figured this out already, but especially with the blue knights I found that the jumping backflip to be very helpful, especially when they rush and charge at you.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm just having a bit of trouble with this particular one with two swinging blades on either side of me restricting my movement a fair bit. I'll get it eventually, just a bit frustrating at the moment. The jumping backflip is great, otherwise.

I'm getting the same God Hand feel that it's not the game that's unfair, I just suck! :lol:

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    thegloamingthegloaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Don't think there's a saber throw in Jedi Knight 1. Don't have force grab yet (not sure if you can get it if Kyle is "light side").

thegloaming on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Idx86 wrote: »
    I have a gift card for $30 to Target, so would need to spend $10 of my own to get Modern Warfare 2. I know this is a steal for this game, but I also want to remain loyal to The Cause.

Keep me on the bandwagon, brothers.

I don't see the appeal in MW2, to be honest. The only thing I can see separating it from the average War Shooter is the CONTROVERSY! scene that I've heard so much about.

Stay on the wagon and get it on the cheap later if you feel you must, or else play any other shooter ever. Better yet, watch the ZP review of it.

Online multiplayer. COD4 was the best for FPS online play, and my initial impressions of the MW2 online is that it improves upon what was already great. Well, the Ricochet aspect of Hardcore S&D is most welcome anyway. I'm not sure how I feel about the maps yet. New perks and attachments seem pretty cool, if frustrating for a noob who has not yet earned them and can only be killed by them in the meantime.

Heck, I have 2 people in my PS3 friends list that I thought had not bought the game after all since they have zero trophies for it, but once I got online and compared stats I saw that they have many hours logged. So neither one played even the tutorial section of the campaign, and most likely none of the Spec Ops either.

The campaign was disappointing, and really tried to hard to be dramatic and edgy this time around. The online though is definitely going to kill my backlog progress for a while. A long while D:

Ketar on
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    !UpdateStatus, 3/23

I don't count it as falling off the Wagon, because the 4 games I got are gifts. Uncharted 2, Star Wars Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith Edition and God of War & 2.(collection)

Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time--Platinum trophy.
    Uncharted 2 complete on Normal

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ketar wrote: »
    I have a gift card for $30 to Target, so would need to spend $10 of my own to get Modern Warfare 2. I know this is a steal for this game, but I also want to remain loyal to The Cause.

I don't see the appeal in MW2, to be honest. The only thing I can see separating it from the average War Shooter is the CONTROVERSY! scene that I've heard so much about.

Stay on the wagon and get it on the cheap later if you feel you must, or else play any other shooter ever. Better yet, watch the ZP review of it.

Online multiplayer.

Unless you wanted it on PC. Or live outside the US and thus never get into a game with decent ping.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »

Online multiplayer.

Unless you wanted it on PC. Or live outside the US and thus never get into a game with decent ping.

Of course. The poor, poor PC players without dedicated servers. They must be so envious of PS3 and 360 players.

Oh. Wait.

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm not dragging the backlog thread into this. There's other places for that discussion.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Prinny is here!!!!
    I'm so excited that I will update my backlog later...

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    UsurperUsurper Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    !Signup
    Not my full backlog, just the ones I can reasonably expect to finish:

0/59

PC
    Broken Sword 4: Angel of Death
    Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
    Far Cry
    Far Cry 2
    The Longest Journey
    Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark
    Unreal 2: The Awakening
    The Witcher

XBox 360
    Assassin's Creed 2
    Fable 2
    Grand Theft Auto 4: Liberty City Stories
    Halo Wars
    Overlord
    Perfect Dark Zero
    Timeshift
    Tomb Raider: Underworld

Xbox
    American Mcgee's Scrapland
    Conker: Live and Reloaded
    Grabbed by the Ghoulies
    Star Wars: Republic Commando
    Still Life
    Time Splitters: Future Perfect
    Voodoo Vince

Playstation
    Crusader: No Remorse
    Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

Playstation 2
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds
    Haunting Ground
    The Hobbit
    Kingdom Hearts
    Kingdom Hearts 2
    Maximo Vs The Army of Zin
    The Punisher
    Ratchet and Clank 2: Locked and Loaded
    Ratchet and Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal
    Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Silent Hill: Origins

Playstation 3
    God of War Compilation
    Little Big Planet
    Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time
    Siren: Blood Curse

PSP
    Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Killzone: Liberation
    Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters
    Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade

PSN
    Final Fantasy VII

WII
    A Boy and his Blob
    No More Heroes
    Okami

WII VC
    Paper Mario 64
    Super Mario 64

NDS
    Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
    The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
    New Super Mario Brothers

Gamecube
    Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
    Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    Pikmin 2
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Wario World

Usurper on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I wasn't starting an argument about the merits of MW2 people

I was helping a brother out in his time of weakness

GOD

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ok, so I'm preempting any off-falling of wagons and hoping that Blood Bowl goes on sale in the Steam dailies. I've been waiting for it to come out since before summer, and it finally came on Steam. So if there's a sale, I doubt I'll pass it up. Not sure if I'll count it as falling off or not, but it may not even happen anyway...

Custom Special on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I hope it never goes on sale you left me with a screaming child in my ear goddamnit.

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    T4CT wrote: »
    I hope it never goes on sale you left me with a screaming child in my ear goddamnit.

The nightmares....OH THE NIGHTMARES!!!
    There's a work-around in the OP, but then you can hear only friends in-game, which includes not hearing helpful people on your team. But I think the no pre-teens is worth it.

edit: and of course if I search specifically for it, I find it for 10% off :mrgreen: it's just not on the front page...DL overnight, anyone?

Custom Special on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I stand by my statement that XBL should have frequency filters so anybody who's balls haven't dropped can't be heard.

Or start selling 12 year olds dog-whistle mics.

T4CT on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    After sleeping on it, I decided not to buy it. I will not be so strong if Borderlands hits that price though.

Also more love for Zelda: PH. I have been playing in 30 minute chunks that as all time has allowed these last few weeks, and it's outstanding. Once the challenge has been complete, I think I'll be delving into Spirit Tracks.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    ChrisDudeChrisDude Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    !UpdateStatus 5/90

Backlogging is going pretty well I think. I modified my list to take out some games I was just going to do for achievements (except for BioShock, which I really just want to play again). I also added in my Xmas games (Prototype, Brutal Legend, Retro Game Challenge, and New SMB Wii) and added completed status to Saint's Row since I, well, completed it. My list is certain to grow some more too since I still have one Xmas party left and my birthday is coming up fairly soon. Also, I'm going to be buying a PS3 with Xmas and birthday money, and some games with it because It really seems like the time to get one. here's to hoping I can find a nice bundle somewhere.

Man, Saint's Row was a lot of fun. It was challenging throughout but not so much that it was discouraging, and if things ever got too hard I just did some of the awesome side missions until I was ready to go again. Hopefully I get number 2 for my upcoming birthday or something, cause I really want to go back to it.

I started Prototype after I finished it and it's been really fun so far. I can't wait until I get to elbow drop everything with the Hammerfist.

ChrisDude on
    Chris Pennell Is A Huge Nerd - My blog. I talk about nerd-ish things a lot.
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    !UpdateStatus: 3/26

I finished Peggle Nights over the Christmas break, so I'm marking Peggle down as done. Even though I've only completed a handful of the challenges, I've beaten the "story" part of both Nights and Adventure.

I actually didn't receive any games over Christmas (probably I bought all the games I wanted earlier in December during Gamestop's B2G1Free) except Fairytale Fights which I got for free from Best Buy (price drop to $20 with a $20 off coupon). I haven't added it to the backlog yet, because the reviews are so terrible that I may just trade it in somewhere and take the money. Either that or keep the case in case one of my other game's cases gets a crack in it or something.

I did receive $50 in PSN money (and I had ~$13 in my wallet already), so I got the Valkyria DLC and the LBP Pirates level pack. I still have ~$50 on there. I know using gift card money isn't falling off the wagon, so I may look into a game or two on PSN. Any recommendations, or should I save it for future releases?

What I'm playing parallel to Demon's Souls right now is Batman: AA, and so far... I'm kinda underwhelmed. I don't know, maybe I built it up too much in my head, or maybe I'm still early on (I'm rescuing the 3 doctors), but the world seems like dingy corridor after dingy corridor, Batman moves at either 1 mph or 100 mph, and the "cutscenes" between Batman and the guards seem rough (I've seen the model of the guard with the facemask over his face 10 times already and it's not getting any better looking). Hopefully I'll start to enjoy it more (everyone else seems to love it, so I'm hopeful).

Updated Backlog:
    Backlog - 3/26:
    • Valkyria Chronicles - Completed!
    • R&CF: A Crack in Time - Completed!
    • Peggle - Completed!
    • Demon's Souls (Early on, finished 1-1 and 2-1, deciding where to go now)
    • Batman: Arkham Asylum (Early on, maybe 1.5 hours in)
    • Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (about 10 hours in, starting to play at work during lunch and making progress)
    • Borderlands (unopened, got as part of Gamespot's Buy 2 Get 1 Free)
    • inFamous (see above)
    • Red Faction: Guerrilla (see above)
    • Resistance 2 (see above)
    • Flower (haven't touched, bought on sale)
    • The Last Guy (haven't touched, bought on sale)
    • Dead Space (unopened, bought as part of a Gamespot B2G1Free back in July)
    • Lego Indiana Jones (see above)
    • Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (see above)
    • Motorstorm (got for $5, have played about 2/3 of races)
    • The Simpsons Game (got for $5, unopened)
    • WipEout HD (about 3/4 of the way through the novice difficulty)
    • PixelJunk Eden (about 2/3 through, stalled out when I got to the level with the shifting gravity)
    • Trash Panic (played through on easy, got frustrated with normal and never went back)
    • Echochrome (beat all levels individually, beat courses A-E, stalled on course F)
    • Crush (probably about half done, couldn't get a few orbs in a level and stopped)
    • Scribblenauts (played worlds 1 and 2, couldn't motivate myself to go any further)
    • LocoRoco (should really finish this, probably most of the way though, just couldn't find a hidden area and lost momentum)
    • Tocobot (barely started, would start over if I ever get to it)
    • Secret of Monkey Island - iPhone remake (maybe 20 minutes in)

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    Nick SoapdishNick Soapdish Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    !UpdateStatus: 0/48

Really adding this because I didn't follow the ! directions when I joined and to note that I did indeed start a blog on this so that I can make my failure a glorious public meltdown. It's in my sig.

Nick Soapdish on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I like the blog idea. Kind of like a Julie & Julia type thing.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

• Options
    Nick SoapdishNick Soapdish Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I like the blog idea. Kind of like a Julie & Julia type thing.

You are the 4th or 5th person who has told me this. I had to look it up to see what this referred to. I apparently live in a hole-- which could actually be a benefit to finishing these games.

Nick Soapdish on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Forgot my wife also got me shadows of the empire for Christmas too. Added.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I got Left 4 Dead 2 for Christmas, so I suppose it must be added.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »

I played that game like crazy at a friends house when it first came out.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    jack eddy wrote: »

I played that game like crazy at a friends house when it first came out.

Yeah, I never beat it first time around. She was awesome and got me a ton of 64 games and a 64, after an unfortunate moving situation ended with me losing all 64 related equipment 7 years ago.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You're wife is pretty awesome. :^:

Mine tolerates my gaming, and isn't much of one herself. The most gaming related gifts I get from her is a WiiPoint card here and there. Mostly because she knows I love my retro gaming.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Mine tolerates my gaming,
    and isn't much of one herself. The most gaming related gifts I get from her is a WiiPoint card here and there. Mostly because she knows I love my retro gaming.

+1 on the wife tolerating gaming, but -1 on the WiiPoints card for me. The last game I got from my wife was Star Wars: Battlefront 2 for the PS2 in 2005.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

• Options
    edited December 2009

Mine tolerates my gaming,
    and isn't much of one herself. The most gaming related gifts I get from her is a WiiPoint card here and there. Mostly because she knows I love my retro gaming.

+1 on the wife tolerating gaming, but -1 on the WiiPoints card for me. The last game I got from my wife was Star Wars: Battlefront 2 for the PS2 in 2005.

My fiance tolerates my gaming, though she does love a good game of Mario Kart, and she loves Wii Sports and Resort. She also likes doing vocals on some songs in Rock Band. Anything more complicated than that though and she's not interested, unless it's Tomb Raider, which she loves.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What are her opinions on "Dude Raider", aka Nathan Drake?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You mean the Ken doll?

McAllen on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Not a fan, my guess is too much shooting. She enjoys the area platforming in Tomb Raider more than the fighting.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Not a fan, my guess is too much shooting. She enjoys the area platforming in Tomb Raider more than the fighting.

No love for the Sands of Time series then?

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    TeeMan wrote: »

No love for the Sands of Time series then?

I doubt it - from what I remember playing of it, the combat would be too complicated. She likes Tomb Raiders combat because it's basically just run and gun, auto aim.

Also, !updatestatus 6/31. GTA 4 is back on my backlog with the announcement of the DLC coming to the PS3 version. I'll put myself through it again if it means I get the DLC.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    All characters unlocked + SSE complete on Brawl, so that's a win in my book since I basically will only play it with friends and they won't give a shit if I've completed every event, they'll just want to use Snake, Sonic and Wolf.

So, !Update 8/30

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    !UpdateStatus 2/20

I've done the story in Beatles: Rock Band and seen the credits, so I guess I've beaten it. Only got about 10% of the achievements though.

Cullen on
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    !UpdateStatus 5/154

Finished Ben 10 Alien Force: Vilgax Attacks. Surprisingly a pretty good game. Mostly played it for the achievements and will more than likely be trading it in once my friend plays through it.

!FallOffTheWagon 5/158

I actually said this was going to happen earlier in the month because I had a coupon to get any 2 games for $40 that was only valid on the 29th. Picked up Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time and The God of War Collection (Err... 2 games). Also picked up Resistance 2 because it was $5.

So yeah, I faltered a little

The worst part is that I'm currently playing Dragon Age: Origins which will more than likely eat up a ton of time. I might throw in some Ratchet and Clank: CiT as it doesn't seem like it would be a very long game.

KimFidler on