As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forza 3 is pretty dope

2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
edited November 2009 in Social Entropy++
forza-motorsport-3-boxart.jpg

So, Forza 3 came out today and I didn't see a thread about it, so here we are.

Forza 3 is a game where you drive cars with ultra super realistic physics. There's a ton of cars, there's a ton of tracks, and there's a whole shit load of online stuff! You can even design cars and sell them for in game credits. Also, it's Xbox 360 only.

Racing sim games tend to not be very accessible, but Forza 3 has tried to break down the barrier a bit with a ton of optional assists, even going as far as letting you rewind a race at any time you want, as many times as you want to do better. But all that stuff is optional and you only you use it if you're totally gay.

Here's a trailer. I didn't bother watching it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFwNP5zrvso

Giantbomb.com had a great quicklook at this game. It's got just about everything you need to know about it.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-forza-motorsport-3/17-1475/

So who of you picked this up today? Who thinks they're going to? Who thinks I should make a better OP?

And most importantly, who wants to smash cars together?

Send me your gamertags if you want to do some racing.

Gamertags

Marcus: Disco Burnout

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on

• StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    GT5 fo life!

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • SpookymikalSpookymikal Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm getting this in the future. Not only will i be getting this but i plan on opening one of those fancy car shops where i sell my tuned and painted cars. Mother Fuckers.

For all you poor sons of bitches (like me) i still play forza 2, which is still a really good game.

Ayep.

Spookymikal on
    As Always
    -Mikal-
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    GT5 in development fo life!

Man, you guys are so lucky I don't have a 360.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Chompskers.Chompskers. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gran Turismo 4 was basically my favorite thing ever.

I haven't owned a racing game since then.

What should I make of this Forza thingamajig?

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
    P: 1634 0144 0510
    HG: 5285 4128 5154
  • edited October 2009
    It is so danged pretty. I am pretty bad at realistic driving games, though. The need for speed games since underground 2 and before prostreet have been very enjoyable. I might pick up this or GT4 at some point.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I find realistic car/driving simulators to be pretty boring.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Forza is tits.

I played the shit out of the original.

But I don't have a 360.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • edited October 2009
    I find realistic car/driving simulators to be pretty boring.

I bought nascar 06 with a bunch of other games for about $8 a while ago (for pc). I installed nascar long enough to get in the m&ms car and drive the wrong way around the track until i destroyed it then uninstalled it and pitched the disks

i basically play realistic racing games with the intent of making the biggest accident possible. this is also how I play gta4

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ag I gotta buy this and dragon age and gta episodes and the god of war collection and dragon ball raging blast and ag ag ag

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited October 2009
    Grand Turismo was my baby.

Just spending an hour perfectly calibrating the suspension system of your Rally Car.
    Running the same time trial over and over for a week until you had that one corner down completely perfected.
    Just buying the frigging Escudo and taping down the A button and winning every race no matter what.

Yes.
    Those where certainly days.

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
    edited October 2009
    Gran

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
    edited October 2009
    This is what I meant.

This is my iphone doing terrible things to me.

Auto-correct

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    when does that God of War collection come out, anyways?

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    November 17th

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited October 2009
    That's gonna be flyyyy

Staleghoti on
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yeah I'm jazzed for that. I never played the 2nd one.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
    edited October 2009
    yeah I'm jazzed for that. I never played the 2nd one.

not to completely derail this thread, because I love Forza, but I've noticed a lot of this. I guess it came out pretty late in the ps2's life cycle (well, the one relevant to people here anyway) and most people had moved on to the 360 by that point. I rented it, got up to the barbarian king and then had to take it back

I think this collection is a good idea specifically because of god of war 2

though I will sure as hell play through the first one again

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I went out and bought this at lunch today. Loved Forza 2 so I thought to myself "yes please."

Since I actually have an income now and I'm not a poor college student, I sprang for one of the leftover collector's editions. I'm downloading the two content codes that were included in the box right now. Holy crap the second code is like 500 mb and is taking forever to download. I thought it was just cars, what the hell is it?

EDIT: oh, it has a track in it. Neat.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
    edited October 2009
    Omeks wrote: »
    I went out and bought this at lunch today. Loved Forza 2 so I thought to myself "yes please."

Since I actually have an income now and I'm not a poor college student, I sprang for one of the leftover collector's editions. I'm downloading the two content codes that were included in the box right now. Holy crap the second code is like 500 mb and is taking forever to download. I thought it was just cars, what the hell is it?

A lot of cars?

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
    edited October 2009
    10 cars, and a theme

plus vip access which is neat but I'm not sure how it works

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am jonesing for GT5

I really want the history of bathurst in there

that's like 6 long ass races but damned if it aint 6 long ass races I'd do

The Black Hunter on
    edited October 2009
    It sucks because all I have is my 360.
    Which I love, but still,

There's a bunch of PS3 games I would love to play but I really cant afford the damn thing.

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
    edited October 2009
    but it's cheap now

Staleghoti on
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Well if you're into racing sims it's the best there is right now. GT5 may end up being better, but Forza 3 is a complete fucking package and it won't be easily beaten.

Basically you have awesome cars/racing etc. It's wonderful. But the game really shines with everything you do off the track. Tuning your cars is there, sure, and a very robust painting system. You can make vinyl prints, or a complete paint job. The real kicker is that you can sell pretty much anything you can create at an in game marketplace for credits. There's a lot of kickass stuff there too. It's real slick.

Oh, and there's an in car view (which looks cool but isn't very practical) and now cars will actually flip over sometimes. It looks real awesome.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
    edited October 2009
    I hear the decal making thing is tricky, but if you know it you can basically make anything you want

Staleghoti on
    edited October 2009
    but it's cheap now

Is it

free?

This is my price range.

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
    edited October 2009
    But really.

I miss playing Ratchet and Clank so hard.

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
    edited October 2009
    I hear the decal making thing is tricky, but if you know it you can basically make anything you want

Pretty much this. It's really easy to use, but it ain't easy to make a car look good. But I saw a photo realistic black and white picture of Chuck D on the hood of a car, so you can do anything with it.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
    edited October 2009

Well if you're into racing sims it's the best there is right now. GT5 may end up being better, but Forza 3 is a complete fucking package and it won't be easily beaten.

Basically you have awesome cars/racing etc. It's wonderful. But the game really shines with everything you do off the track. Tuning your cars is there, sure, and a very robust painting system. You can make vinyl prints, or a complete paint job. The real kicker is that you can sell pretty much anything you can create at an in game marketplace for credits. There's a lot of kickass stuff there too. It's real slick.

Oh, and there's an in car view (which looks cool but isn't very practical) and now cars will actually flip over sometimes. It looks real awesome.

I only ever used the first person view in Gran Turismo.
    Like, I just could not play in the third person, I'd always be crashin into stuff, it was terrible.

This actually sounds really great though.
    Its the off the track stuff that always sucks me in,
    same thing with like, sports sims and RPG's and junk

I just like upgrading stuff.

This actually sounds good though,
    Now I need to find someone to mooch it off of.

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
    edited October 2009

Pretty much this. It's really easy to use, but it ain't easy to make a car look good. But I saw a photo realistic black and white picture of Chuck D on the hood of a car, so you can do anything with it.

THIS WILL BE THE FIRST THING I DO

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
    edited October 2009
    I've probably spent more than half of my time with the game not actually racing. There's lots to do.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    so how is this game?

I know a buncha folks that worked on it, but I really don't care much for racing sim style games

so how is it

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited October 2009
    so how is this game?

I know a buncha folks that worked on it, but I really don't care much for racing sim style games

so how is it

it is the best racing game ever. sim-wise, that is. the big draw for you I think would be the design mode. people make some crazy shit with that thing.

it's also really easy to get into, with all kinds of assists and lines on the road to show you when to brake and etc.

I mean maybe you don't want to buy it but I think if you know somebody who has it or are willing to rent it you'd see some pretty sweet shit

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm waiting for my copy to arrive. I hate racing sims but after trying the demo and adjusting the assists gives the game a real fun arcade feel to it. I've been wanting something more grounded in reality then my stand by of Burnout.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • OdenOden Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I sank so many hours of my life into Gran Turismo 2 and 4, now I'm finally jumping ship to Forza since I'll probably never buy a Playstation 3.

I'm hoping it's essentially the same game.

Oden on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have been playing Forza 2 lately

it's fun

I am so unused to realistic racing games, though

Moriveth on
  • JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I only played a terribly small amount of this tonight after getting back from an all-day errand run, then getting a call from work that I had to come in for the midnight shift!

Anyway I'm really waiting for my racing wheel to arrive sometime later this week, but I'll definitely be playing the hell out of this once it gets here. The graphics are hugely improved over Forza 2, it's insane.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The graphics really have improved

I've seen a couple screenshots that I could've sworn were actual photos.

Moriveth on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    uugh

assists in a racing sim

you should be ashamed

The Black Hunter on
  • JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If people don't like sim racers they shouldn't be turned away by Forza 3 just because of its legacy.

It has a feature where the game applies the brakes for you.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png