As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mini] My-Hime: Searrs/Obsidian Lord victory

BremenBremen Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Critical Failures
This game uses very unusual mechanics. Please read the rules before signing up. Of particular note, this is a mostly free for all game rather than a village vs mafia or even a faction game; though you might ally with other players your victory conditions are often mutually exclusive and nothing stops your ally from backstabbing you.

Spectrum has kindly agreed to assist with the game. He knows My-Hime at least as well as me, so feel free to ask him questions about the setting or the game using Cyan.

The warning sounds fun, but what's My-Hime?
English trailer
My-Hime is the story of 12 Hime, young girls with mysterious powers and the ability to summon a powerful mechanical combat machine called a "Child". All brought together to Fuuka Academy, they find themselves forced to fight in a dark tournament to protect the lives of their loved ones.

Thousands of years in the past, a bargain was struck with the god of misfortune, the Obsidian lord. In return for sparing the world from most of his wrath and blessing Japan with prosperity, every 300 years twelve maidens would be sacrificed to entertain him in the Ikusahime festival. The more tears shed by the Hime, the happier the Obsidian lord would become.

And many tears were shed, as the Obsidian lord forced the Hime into an inescapable tragedy; though they might be friends, the Hime were forced to fight because defeat meant something even worse, the death of the one person they loved the most in the world.

If the festival moves too slowly, the Obsidian Lord's displeasure manifests in global misfortune. Earthquakes, wars, volcanoes, and various other disasters begin striking worldwide. If the Hime refuse to fight, the world will eventually be destroyed.

When 11 Hime have shed their tears, the winner of the tournament is promised power beyond imagining; but the truth of the matter has long been lost to myth and legend.

However, this festival promises to be something different. In their desire for the power of the Ikusahime festival, the mighty Searrs Foundation has changed the rules of the game. Using technology, they have succeeded in creating an artificial Hime, complete with a crude child. Backed by the military and technological might of the foundation, they are determined to make sure it is their Hime that is victorious.

Regardless, the festival will end when 11 Hime are defeated, and the addition of a 13th Hime opens the possibility that two will win.

As long as the Obsidian Lord and his minions live, the Hime are locked into the sarcastically named "festival". But the Obsidian lord is no fool, and as long as he maintains control of the festival none of the powers it grants may be used against him.

Hey, I saw that anime and it had a happy ending!

This is true, but this game is not meant to end that way. While there is a somewhat happier alternative ending, it's very much a long shot. This is a game about looking out for yourself, not working together against a singular enemy. In addition, the alternative ending is in the hands of a few, and if your role PM doesn't say otherwise there's little you can do to bring it about.

I didn't care for the anime's "everyone lives happily ever after" ending, so I'll state right here: The alternative ending is very unlikely to trigger. It also does not trigger in the same way it does in the anime (No, the Hime Star is not a player :P).

Mechanics

There are two main types of roles in this game. Himes have various powers, and also a numerical combat strength. Each day they may attack or guard one target, and combat is resolved based on relative strengths (see below). If a Hime is defeated in combat, their Most Important Person dies and they are stripped of all their powers (but not killed), and their identity will be revealed in the narration. If their Most Important Person is killed, the Hime is stripped of all powers.

Most Important People are otherwise normal people who are (un)fortunate enough to be deeply cared about by a Hime. Whether family, friends, or romantic interests, the result is the same; if the Hime is defeated in combat the associated person will be struck dead. If the person is killed by other means, their Hime will be rendered powerless and considered defeated. Defeated hime can still vote and post but are not subject to inactivity requirements, and will not be replaced with reserves. There is a resurrection mechanic in play, so staying active might pay off.

There are also a few unique roles not in either category.

Each day all living players vote for a suspicious player to confront. At the end of the day, the player with the most votes has his identity publicly revealed.

This game has no mafia in the traditional sense. If you consider mafia to be groups with a victory condition involving wiping out most other players, than almost every single player in the game is mafia.

It's also important to note that, though all Hime have an associated Most Important Person, players are not evenly divided into groups of two by these relationships. The two role types are also not mutually exclusive, and some hime have most important people not represented by a player.

Combat (basic)

All Hime begin the game with combat strengths ranging from 2 to 7. If one Hime attacks another Hime, or a Hime attacks a player being guarded by another Hime, the two will fight. If the attacker's strength is greater then the defender, the defending Hime is defeated. If the Defender's strength is at least two greater than the attacker's, the attacker is defeated. If neither is true, the attacker is able to retreat.

If a Hime causes the defeat of another Hime, either in combat or by killing the other Hime's most important person, their child absorbs the power of the defeated Hime's child. The victorious Hime gains an additional 2 combat strength.

Combat (Advanced)

This section covers more complex combat situations that could possibly arise.
Combats are resolved in the following order:

1. Combats where the defender has no strength (Kills) are resolved in order of strength (strongest Hime first).
2. Combats where both sides sent in attack orders are resolved in order of strength(strongest Hime first).
3. Other Combats are resolved in order of strength (strongest Hime first)

(Ties are broken by strength of the weaker Hime, then by alphabetical order)

A Hime may be attacked multiple times, but may only guard against one attacker.

If attacked by several other Hime, the attackers' combat strengths are added together and compared to the defender's. If the attackers' score is higher, the defender is defeated (one attacker, chosen at random, receives credit for the kill). If the Defender's strength is at least two greater than the attackers' combined strength, the most powerful attacker is defeated and the others withdraw.

If a Hime attacks a target that is being guarded by multiple Hime, or a Hime that is being guarded by another Hime, both defenders combat strengths are added together. If the defender's strength is at least two greater than the attacker's, the attacker is defeated. If the attacker's strength is greater and the target is participating in the fight, the target is defeated. If the target is not participating in the fight, the strongest defender is defeated.

If multiple Hime attack a target that is being guarded, the attackers are split up. The most powerful attacker faces the most powerful defender, the next most powerful attacker faces the next most powerful defender, and so on. Any excess attackers all carry through their attack on their original target. Any excess defenders will distribute themselves intelligently to overpower each individual attacker, prioritizing the strongest attackers first.

A Hime may only participate in one combat per day. If a Hime attacks another Hime who is also attacking, only the combat that comes first in order is resolved, other combats that would involve that Hime are resolved without her.

I'm looking for 24 players, and reserves are always welcome.

1. LonelyAhava
2. B;L
3. Jobastion
4. Kime
5. Arivia
6. Zandracon
7. Adventfalls
8. garroad_ran
9. Fatal3rr0r
10. Dunedainjedi
11. Delphinidaes
12. Samurai6966
13. Fluffy, Our Beloved Flopsy Bunny Friend
14. Gnersh
15. Cleonicus
16. Dunadan019
17. LoserforhireX
18. Jaenther
19. Vagrant Winds
20. Suki
21. Kias
22. Shadow Thomas
23. Saphier
24. Kistra

Reserves

1. Darian

Usual phalla rules apply. No copy/pasting or screencaping of role PMs, no anonymous communication, and PM me all proboard links. In addition, you may not ask another player about the contents of their role PM (In particular, no role calls, as this would throw game balance straight out the window). You may still provide your identity and paraphrase your abilities to others if you wish.

Signups are in Lime. Votes are in Red. Requests for clarification should be in Orange. If you have a question on the setting, ask in Cyan and Spectrum has kindly volunteered to answer; while I've made changes for the sake of balance and simplicity, I tried to stay true to the anime when possible, so knowledge of the series might help you figure out aspects of the game.

Vote close is at 11:00 PM Pacific.

Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Day 6

Bremen on

• B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    !Sign-Hime

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The name's Jock, JC.

Burnage on
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bremen wrote: »
    If you have a question on the setting, ask in Cyan and Spectrum has kindly volunteered to answer; while I've made changes for the sake of balance and simplicity, I tried to stay true to the anime when possible, so knowledge of the series might help you figure out aspects of the game.
    Ookini, Bremen. ^_^

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This game uses very unusual mechanics. Please read the rules before signing up.

Always a good sign :P

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    starved for innocence

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2009
    kime wrote: »

Kime you can't sign up for a game called My-Hime or else it'll be My-Kime.

Or at least you can't be alive for long.

• ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    *cackle*

Zandracon on
  • adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ready to fail!

adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
    edited October 2009
    B:L wrote: »

Muahahaha, a game based on me!

Edit: I actually see "kime" every time I see that name...

kime on
    Steam profile
  • garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This looks incredibly interesting

garroad_ran on
  • Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This shall be awesome.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
    edited October 2009

We've already had those, kime!

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »

We've already had those, kime!

I haven't played in a Death Note Phalla :(.

It is my dream...

kime on
    Steam profile
  • dunedainjedidunedainjedi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

God that's a scary thought.

Wheee let's see if I live til day threeeeee

dunedainjedi on
    edited October 2009
    Are Himes and their MIPs masoned (if applicable?)

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Edit: I actually see "kime" every time I see that name...

Damn it, now I can't help but see it either.

Burnage on
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is it bad that I read this as Mi-Kime?

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    edited October 2009
    TehSloth wrote: »

Welcome to the thread. Take a ticket, sit down, the line is slow-going.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2009
    kime, you've officially ruined everything.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Arivia wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »

Welcome to the thread. Take a ticket, sit down, the line is slow-going.

He earns his name.

• BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

A hime is always in contact with her personal MIP and vice versa, yes.

Bremen on
  • Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

No more cake for Kime.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
    edited October 2009

Because this hasn't happened before.... :wink:

dunedainjedi on
    edited October 2009

A hime is always masoned to their personal MIP and vice versa, yes.

D: It's even worse when it's not capitalized....

Hey Bremen, can I be invincible and have a survival win condition?

Fatal: Nooooo!

dune: grrrrr

kime on
    Steam profile
    edited October 2009
    grrrrrrr

dunedainjedi on
    edited October 2009

whee keli'dan the breaker flashbacks

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2009

This phalla Before-Kime and After-Kime.
    mykime.jpg

edited October 2009
    Kime adds crotch bulges?

Burnage on
    edited October 2009
    Thank you, beel, for that segue.

So, My Hime, huh? The Hime franchise is pretty big. I'm confuuuuuuused. What do I need to learn about?

Never fear, neonate. I am here for you.

What this game will definitely draw from:
    My Hime, the anime

What this game may draw from, but probably not:
    My Hime supplementals, such as Natsuki's Prelude or the artbooks

What this game won't draw from:
    My Hime, the manga
    My Hime Destiny, the novel
    My Otome, the anime (which beel has so helpfully provided screencaps from)
    My Otome, the manga

That's great, Spectrum. What the hell is all this?

All in due time.

My Hime, the anime, is a 26 episode rollercoaster deconstruction of the magical girl genre. It's got comedy, action, drama, character development, romance triangles, and a plot that isn't a complete mess. It's my second favorite anime and if you do or say bad things I will be sad.

There are some supplementals that can be hard to find but, to be honest, are unlikely to be needed. If you find yourself liking the series, however, hit me up in IRC and I can link you Natsuki's Prelude. The first half covers up to right before Episode 1 of the anime, while the second half takes place in the middle of the series.

My Hime, the manga, is a completely different plot from the manga. It's far, far, far more about the romance triangles, the characters are unrecognizable from the anime, and it's worse. You don't need to know anything about it for the purposes of this game.

My Hime Destiny is, again, a completely different plot. It, however, focuses on a new character not in either the anime or the manga, but the character relationships are somewhat closer to the anime.

My Otome, the anime, is set in an entirely different universe and is about a finishing school where young maidens are turned into instruments of war used by countries the world over to fight proxy wars. An argument can be made that the character developments seen in My Hime, the anime, continue into My Otome, the anime, allowing for the different circumstances. It's pretty crap, to be honest.

(For the sake of completeness, I will mention that My Otome got a sequel OVA, My Otome Zwei, and a prequel OVA, My Otome Sifr, but they hurt my brain to even think about so let's not go there, okay?)

My Otome, the manga, is a different take on the same universe as the anime. The main character focus is far, far different, the plot emphasis is different (the manga is more about political intrigues while the anime is more about the main character's maturation), AND it is in fact somewhat of a sequel to My Hime, the manga. It's surprisingly non-terrible.

So, too lazy to do the research? Allergic to all this 'weeaboo bullshit'? (What are you doing here?) Ask away. Basic character introductions, plot synopsis, theme analysis. Anything's fair game.

Spectrum, you talk alot.

No cake for you.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited October 2009
    A lot.

I am also drinking at work.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Somewhere in the back of my head is a little voice screaming at me not to do this. But what the heck.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Somewhere in the back of my head is a little voice screaming at me not to do this. But what the heck.

Somewhere in the back of my head a voice is screaming because I'm going to have to learn to spell "Delphinidaes".

Bremen on
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I can see the star!

samurai6966 on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • GnershGnersh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hehe it's been a long time since I participated in a phalla

Gnersh on
  • CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like Lime

Cleonicus on
    Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Dunadan019 on
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gods, do I ever not indulge in any anime but I can't keep from signing up for these damn things.

Even though I'm terrible at them. One of these days I'm going to fail my way to good.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This is an unholy factions game of all faction games...so I'm going to stay the heck out of here.

But blue dotted...will be fun to watch.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    edited October 2009
    This is an unholy factions game of all faction games...so I'm going to stay the heck out of here.

But blue dotted...will be fun to watch.

See I figured I could win this is three days. Where are Burnage and Thelawinator?

dunedainjedi on