As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gay Marriage]: It Hurts Jesus Real Bad

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For the sake of argument, assuming it does get struck down, from a public advocacy/public policy point of view I'm quite interested to see what exactly might be done from the Gay Equality side to get better results in these types of situations for their policies, or rather, what seems to be failing in the current approach (taking California and presumably Maine) that could be altered/improved on.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    For the sake of argument, assuming it does get struck down, from a public advocacy/public policy point of view I'm quite interested to see what exactly might be done from the Gay Equality side to get better results in these types of situations for their policies, or rather, what seems to be failing in the current approach (taking California and presumably Maine) that could be altered/improved on.

Where do you think this vote would have come down 10 years ago? They just need to keep doing what they're doing, and maybe improve GOTV. In a decade's time we'll probably see gay marriage everywhere outside of the Mormon belt and the South. Maybe even there too if Scalia and Thomas die.

moniker on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Wait for some people to die.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So It Goes wrote: »

And some people to grow into voting age.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    What's a TABOR? It sounds like some big hairy Siberian guy.

That's Tibor. It's a Taxpayer Bill of Rights. Ie preventing the state from funding programs through taxes.

Basically, what it says is that the state has a static taxbase. Any tax increases can only be done in conjunction with inflation. Which sounds great - until you realize that things like healthcare spending is increasing at three+ times the rate of inflation. Which means that the state ends up having to cut back on services.

Colorado passed the original TABOR in the early 90s. A decade later, thanks to the damage it did to the state, they had repealed it piecemeal.

Doesn't California basically operate under similar principles, just without the Tibor but in its place an ammendment?

No, Prop 13 is it's own unique brand of fucked up.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So It Goes wrote: »

And some people to grow into voting age.

Well, voting age or 'actually deciding to go to the polls' age; which is closer to 30 than it is 18.

moniker on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Or run it in a poll in an even numbered year. Off year elections are older and more conservative than mid term elections which are older and more conservative than presidential years

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    What's a TABOR? It sounds like some big hairy Siberian guy.

That's Tibor. It's a Taxpayer Bill of Rights. Ie preventing the state from funding programs through taxes.

Basically, what it says is that the state has a static taxbase. Any tax increases can only be done in conjunction with inflation. Which sounds great - until you realize that things like healthcare spending is increasing at three+ times the rate of inflation. Which means that the state ends up having to cut back on services.

Colorado passed the original TABOR in the early 90s. A decade later, thanks to the damage it did to the state, they had repealed it piecemeal.

Doesn't California basically operate under similar principles, just without the Tibor but in its place an ammendment?

No, Prop 13 is it's own unique brand of fucked up.

it is, in many ways, worse as it presents a shrinking taxbase relative to inflation.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is there a big bastion of traditionally liberal voters in one of the precincts coming up?

I know that even in the big national elections, votes can look like this but they'll still call it for the other guy, because some precincts they'll know will go heavily the other other side..

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm not optimistic.

EDIT: And just after I post that, AP calls it for the bigots.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Or run it in a poll in an even numbered year. Off year elections are older and more conservative than mid term elections which are older and more conservative than presidential years

Hey that's nice EXCEPT we just had a bunch of homophobic shit pass last year. Prop 8, some prop in Florida I believe also.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    God damnit, old people.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, the AP says the bigots won. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iGQ6LMSOvL9rjDHrAmyO9mHoVieAD9BOHE5G1

Which by the way, if any of you reading this are against same-sex marriage, let me just call you what you are. You're a bigot. Plain and simple. You want to restrict the rights of me, and people like me, and for what? Why? Because of the Bible? Well, bigot, the Bible is filled with passages that you and I both disagree with. That's not it. It's because you're prejudiced. It's because we're different and you don't like us. Don't try and paint it any other way, because that's the truth.

What's that? I'm wrong? Well then, prove it by changing your opinion on this issue. It has nothing whatsoever to do with your personal life. And until you do, I'll just call you what you are. A bigot.

Melkster on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    A sad result.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    No longer acknowledging Maine's existence

what the fucking hell

I mean they vote down TABOR which is horrible and stupid but do this

what.

edit:

improved_us.png

country looks better without them anyway

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aww, I kinda liked Maine on the map. Can we cut off Florida instead? Lord knows they deserve it more.

Edit: Although not being confused about which Portland people are talking about would sure be nice.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    improved_us_2.png

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh, FAR more of the country is gone than that. Michigan told the gays to fuck off in the first election I ever voted in, as did like 10 other states that year.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Which ones?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    polajumpolajum Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Not fair to Maine. Any state that's actually put gay marriage to a vote is way out ahead of most of the country.

*Edit* Also applies to California, obviously.

polajum on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/11/the-other-marriage-nailbiter-victory.html#more

I am heart-broken tonight by Maine, and I'd be lying if I said otherwise.

Somehow losing by this tiny margin is brutalizing. And because this is a vote on my dignity as a human being, it is hard not to take it personally or emotionally. But I also know that the history of civil rights movements has many steps backward as forward, and some of those reversals actually catalyze the convictions that lead to victories. A decade ago, the marriage issue was toxic. Now it divides evenly. Soon, it will win everywhere.

I know for many younger gays and lesbians, this process can seem bewildering and hurtful. But I'm old enough now to be able to look back and see the hill we have climbed in such a short amount of time, and the minds and hearts we have changed. Including our own.
    Know hope.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    To everyone in Maine who voted yes on Question 1: No one should have been given this vote and you know it. I hate you and I hate everyone who won't hate you.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This is depressing. With the way things are going, I know it's a matter of time until gay marriage is recognized in the majority, but it's always a kick in the nuts when what should be equal now has to wait.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think what gay couples should start doing is just getting married (in whatever unnoficial way they choose), and then turning up at places where married couples get certain benefits and insisting people explain to them why they don't get the benefits. Take up hours and hours of these peoples time every day, demanding that they effectively come out and say 'because the system is bigotted and stupid'

So, call the IRS free hotline a dozen times and ask about filing joint taxes and whatever, just be a general nuisance of yourselves. Since there is no logical reason, it will take ages.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It will also waste taxpayers' resources and not actually reach anybody who is against gay marriage.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You know, I don't think I got TABOR on my ballot

I got something about having voting referendums on tax increases and spending measures, and something about giving Maine a shitload of money to maintain and improve their roads and bridges and such (which I voted yes on in the most forceful manner possible) but I didn't get anything about taxes only increasing with inflation

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Can't say I'm surprised, to be honest. Maine is a deep south state hiding up North.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I went to sleep at around 11 yesterday. I assume I can start hating Maine now?

Couscous on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

You never started?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

You never started?

I always thought of it as just America's appendix.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Son of a bitch. I checked this thread last night and went to bed thinking that we were actually going to win this one. I'm so angry right now I can't think of anything else to say.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Son of a bitch. I checked this thread last night and went to bed thinking that we were actually going to win this one. I'm so angry right now I can't think of anything else to say.

I wouldn't venture into the election day thread then; bigot in there almost made me punch a wall.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

You never started?

Hey now, Maine is a nice place. Beautiful, friendly, and remote. A single vote can't take that away.

iglidante on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    iglidante wrote: »

You never started?

Hey now, Maine is a nice place. Beautiful, friendly, and remote. A single vote can't take that away.

I'd say it did.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

I wouldn't venture into the election day thread then; bigot in there almost made me punch a wall.

Bigots on the internet tend to just be trolling for lulz unless it's a place dedicated to bigotry like stormfront.

And of course there are people who genuinely believe as that poster in the other thread does, but you knew that already, it shouldn't get such a rise out of you when one posts on a forum.

Maybe if he said that shit in public or to you in person, but not on the internet.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If he said shit in person it'd be a lot easier for me to find something to punch.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If he said shit in person it'd be a lot easier for me to find something to punch.

My point is that it's best to remember that the internet is usually a very indirect means of communication especially when you're talking about a stranger on an internet forum.

Kagera on
  • Options
    iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    iglidante wrote: »

You never started?

I'd say it did.

All the vote did was illuminate the current opinion of voting citizens. It didn't actually change anything. The marriage law was enacted without a vote, and the vote repealed it. Regardless, that doesn't make the state deplorable. It's about individual people.

iglidante on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, Maine is generally a pretty nice state, if a bit primitive

I'm not saying it's great but it ain't fuckin' Alabama or Kansas

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Yeah, Maine is generally a pretty nice state, if a bit primitive

I'm not saying it's great but it ain't fuckin' Alabama or Kansas
    Hey.

Kansas is a beautiful state full of incredibly friendly people. They're just by and large horribly misinformed about important stuff. Having a 95% white christian population in the single digit millions will do that.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
This discussion has been closed.