As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ultimate BITCHING About Bad Comics Thread

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    judd winick shouldn't do comic books that involve comic book characters such as superheroes

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I got the first two Nation X issues of Uncanny today, and I noticed that Land is being a little more subtle with his art now. People actually have multiple facial expressions throughout the course of the issues. Did anyone else see that?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    judd winick shouldn't do comic books that involve comic book characters such as superheroes

After making the mistake of sticking out Winnick's recent Batman arc, I just kept thinking about Tony Daniel "How can someone who's only written one piss-poor mini on his own be better than a long established, if mediocre writer?"

And then Tony Daniel just completely blew my mind, and shamed Winnick even more.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

After making the mistake of sticking out Winnick's recent Batman arc, I just kept thinking about Tony Daniel "How can someone who's only written one piss-poor mini on his own be better than a long established, if mediocre writer?"

And then Tony Daniel just completely blew my mind, and shamed Winnick even more.

I'm gonna throw this out there; I enjoyed winicks batman arc. it wasnt perfect, and i will forever hold a grudge against him for marrying green arrow and black canary, but I liked it so much more than tony daniels crap. I hated battle for the cowl and i thought his most recent issue was extremely confusing. I'm admittedly not supremely knowledgeable of old batman stories, but I know enough that I shouldn't be totally lost, and I was. I also hate hate hate batman and robin, so that might bear some weight on my support of winick. I just wish wish we could go back to the days before RIP, when grant morrison didn't make me want to cry in frustration.

TheSecretSeventh on
    PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Ugh that Secrets War 2 omnibus at my LCS is beckoning me to find out how awful it really is. I might ask the owner if he can give me something better than a 20% discount for it.

Anything less than a 100% discount and you've been cheated. There is no redeeming value to Secret Wars II. None. Zero. Not even for comedic purposes.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Ugh that Secrets War 2 omnibus at my LCS is beckoning me to find out how awful it really is. I might ask the owner if he can give me something better than a 20% discount for it.

Anything less than a 100% discount and you've been cheated. There is no redeeming value to Secret Wars II. None. Zero. Not even for comedic purposes.

That's what my comic shop owner says. True he wouldn't mind me buying it of course but he doesn't like to bullshit his customers about how awful a comic is. My LCS also has several alternative options for me if I want to blow a wad of cash like the Alan Moore/Davis Captain Britain omnibus and all 3 ultimate collections of Grant Morrison's New X-men run. Plus the second BMB Daredevil omnibus is coming out next month.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I too hate that Ollie married Black Canary, but that's because I have a fairly irrational hatred of all scream and voice-powered super heroes.

I hate Banshee, Black Canary, and pretty much every other screamer that has ever existed. The one exception to this hatred is Black Bolt. He has a cool costume, and his power is so fucking powerful that he can pretty much kill anyone or anything if he more than whispers, and I like that.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    you.....you hate Songbird too?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I don't know who Songbird is, but chances are if she (I'm assuming its a she) is a screamer then I probably do hate her.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Makes constructs out of sound. Does have a sonic shout or anything.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'd have to read a comic I guess. Constructs are typically cool. Mostly its just the screaming I hate.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I tend to hate screamers too. Especially Banshee, "I can fly...BY SCREAMING" ugh

But I'm with ya on Black Bolt, he's awesome. So much power, so much needed self-imposed control. Great character.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And his actual name is Blackagar Boltagon. God, I love that name. So fucking metal.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    judd winick shouldn't do comic books

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    That's not even the most fucked-up panel to come out of the Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose series.

So hit me. what have you got?

well, that's also maybe the only panel from tarot that anyone would be allowed to post here.
    Oh god, my girlfriend picked up that issue, and another one because because they were just so weird and American, and that stuff is just... fucked up. In the one posted, it was like, that dude and his girl friend (who was a ghost I think was called Dead Chick, no really) are chasing after a bunch of nurses who died in a car accident, and had wanted their body parts that were harvested after death back. They'd already killed one chick for her lips, and the haunted vagina chick had gotten a collagen injection or something, which the ghost nurse was coming to take back with extreme prejudice and ghost scalpels.

The other one had some weird witch interfering with fairy tales, leading the heroines to become strong, empowered, and naked. I think the Little Mermaid finished her story with a bevy of tattoos and fish hook piercings. Also, Cinderella's fairy godmother was actually a hot young fairy. Or something It was hilarious but _so_ fucked up.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That review of the issue was hilarious... but for the love of all that's holy don't visit it at work!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Does Norman Osborn have a secret stash of Goblin equipment for every block of NYC? He should really get better security for those things.

Hensler on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    McCly wrote: »

I mean... Have you read Adventures of Barry Ween, Boy Genius? I'm not going to defend Winick's superhero work, but dude has it in him (or had it in him) to write great books.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Delduwath wrote: »

I mean... Have you read Adventures of Barry Ween, Boy Genius? I'm not going to defend Winick's superhero work, but dude has it in him (or had it in him) to write great books.

His run on Exiles was superb.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    Hello WaterfaceHello Waterface Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller In the timbers of FennarioRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    cshadow42 wrote: »

Agreed!

Hello Waterface on
    Welcome to Miami Beach, ladies and gentlemen. Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Please take my advice.
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Agreed!

I still remember the 'Masada' storyline quite vividly and fondly. (This is the story where Black Bolt + Susan Richards hook up and Iron Man is the big bad).

Still don't know why they killed Mimic, as I thought his powers were a perfect accompaniement to the theme of alternate reality hopping, plus his changing powers kept things fresh.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'd have to read a comic I guess. Constructs are typically cool. Mostly its just the screaming I hate.

She started out as a C-list villian Screaming Mimi. But Zemo got his hands on her and had the Fixer come up with a harness that allows her to make sound shape objects and fly (she makes wings, no Banshee weirdo sonic jets). She lost her voice once by overdriving it, but as it came back she discovered that she could also alter her pitch and do weird mind controlish subsonic tricks too. She's actually pretty bad ass.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Agreed!

I still remember the 'Masada' storyline quite vividly and fondly. (This is the story where Black Bolt + Susan Richards hook up and Iron Man is the big bad).

Still don't know why they killed Mimic, as I thought his powers were a perfect accompaniement to the theme of alternate reality hopping, plus his changing powers kept things fresh.

Offhand, I'd say they did it for impact (Mimic wasn't just an exile, he was one of the first and the lover of the lead), and also to show that sometimes killing is justified (If he hadn't hesitated then proteus would never have gone dimension hopping; ultimately all the deaths following were his fault).

Gaddez on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I think it made sense to prevent the book from falling into too much of a rut with a cast of permanent characters joined by some cannon fodder. Nonetheless, most of what followed sucked ass anyway, so perhaps it wasn't a wise decision after all.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Songbird is great. She knows what's up.
    sing-a-song-for-me-ladybird.jpg

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    miracmirac Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Songbird is great. She knows what's up.
    sing-a-song-for-me-ladybird.jpg

What is she doing to Bullseye in that panel?

mirac on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    He had a knife at her throat and wanted her to beg for her life, if I remember correctly.

Faynor on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Why WOULDN'T you want to kiss Songbirds ass?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also, Bitching related: Change the thread titleeeee I keep getting this confused with the Ultimate thread

Faynor on
  • Options
    TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm also not generally a fan if screaming heroes. But, Jeannette from secret six is a badass banshee. And this is the last time secret six should ever be mentioned in a bad comics thread.

TheSecretSeventh on
    PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Batman & Robin #6 was not a good issue. Mainly because of the art. I couldn't see a damn thing, and there are parts where characters you are supposed to recognize like
    Dr. Hurt
    are impossible to tell because Tan can't draw them right.

Page #6 looks to be ghost drawn by someone, and the pacing is just really really bad. It's like Morrison is playing down to Tan's level instead of bringing Tan up to his.

The last page reveal was good, but a bad end to a mediocre arc.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, Tan's art isn't that great. Actually, his art is fine when there is minimal action. His characters are pretty good when they are still. Its when there's fighting or explosions or some other type of action that his art gets really bad. He just isn't good at drawing movement and action. So much of the story gets lost on the page whenever anything interesting is happening.

On the positive side, they're rotating Batman in 3 issue arcs. This was Tan's final arc so we can all breath a sigh of relief and hope that the next artist does a better job.

(Who is the next artist by the way?)

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Cameron Stewart.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I don't remember, but it can't be worse than the shit in the last 3 books.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, Tan's art isn't that great. Actually, his art is fine when there is minimal action. His characters are pretty good when they are still. Its when there's fighting or explosions or some other type of action that his art gets really bad. He just isn't good at drawing movement and action. So much of the story gets lost on the page whenever anything interesting is happening.

On the positive side, they're rotating Batman in 3 issue arcs. This was Tan's final arc so we can all breath a sigh of relief and hope that the next artist does a better job.

(Who is the next artist by the way?)

I'd agree about his action scenes being confusing, but I take issue with your claim that his characters look good when they're standing still :/ Like TexiKen says, the faces are still just weird. Hell, Tan's faces make Quitely's look normal.

Also,
    Dr Hurt shows up again?

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Myeh, Morrison's style has always been a little too 'trippy' for my tastes.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Have you read Morrison's JLA? It isn't trippy at all. And the first arc with the White Martians is among the greatest JLA stories ever told. Its a classic.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Have you read Morrison's JLA? It isn't trippy at all. And the first arc with the White Martians is among the greatest JLA stories ever told. Its a classic.

I've got them. They're ok. Let me re-phrase what I said: Most of Morrison's work is trippy.

And an addendum:

Most of Morrison's work involves drugs/hallucinogenics.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Batman & Robin #6 was not a good issue. Mainly because of the art. I couldn't see a damn thing, and there are parts where characters you are supposed to recognize like
    Dr. Hurt
    are impossible to tell because Tan can't draw them right.

Oh.

THAT'S who that was?

I had no idea.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited November 2009

And one of the best Batman stories.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg