Options

[Fallout 3] Wubba harrrrglb? JAMBAAGLR

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Suriko wrote: »
    Oh hey, the revolver here has two barrels and what seems to be two chambers one on top of the other.

I dunno, looks kinda like a Photoshop mistake to me. If you look above the cylinder, it doesn't appear to have another cylinder or anything comparable.

But I've been wrong before!

Many times, in fact.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I do like the freedom in FO3 though; especially at times like that dick in Arefu who is all 'get the fuck out!' when you are told to go check on him and his crazy wife. I respond 'Really? That's how you want it huh?' and blow him to hell. Ruins the quest but is still good times.

There's great stuff like that in the previous Fallouts, as well.

For instance, I was playing FO2 last night and got to New Reno. If you go there with the car, when you leave the screen and come back, it's been stolen. You can get a witness to take you where they took it. Then you go in, you can be all, "That's my car assholes" and start a fight. Or you can do what I did. Offer to buy it, get them to upgrade it and pay whatever they want, then when they're done, calmly pull out your .44 and shoot the dude in the face. Once everyone is dead, take your money from the dude's corpse and drive away in your newly upgraded car.

or if you are female
    you can whore yourself out to get it back, and keep doing it and make the poor guy explode from exhaustion, requires high end i think.

That is lovely.

He does literally explode.

It's actually possible to solve a lot of problems in Fallout 2 by having sex with it.

Also, with suitably high stats it's even possible to have a gay marriage.

Yeah, don't get me wrong I wasn't disparaging FO2's open-endedness, because it was fucking fantastic. One of my top 5 games of all time for sure.

But speaking of sexing, I remember one part in the game (keep in mind it's been over 10 years since I played this) where there is an old, ugly guy who has a key you need to get further in the story. Playing a female, I recall picking some vaguely suggestive conversation option about 'other' ways to pay him for the key. He gets all happy and basically says "Oh yeah, we're gonna have some fun!"

The response dialogue was something along the lines of "Wait, no! I didn't mean..." Then the screen fades to black and when it fades back in, he's got this big grin on his face, telling me how good it was and handing over the key.

I about fell out of my chair laughing.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    God help you if you talk to Darin as a male and you're not paying attention.
    Surprise buttzeck.

Same for arm wrestling the supermutant for the power fist...

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    oh man

I never played fallout 2 but that sounds fantastic

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Likewise, the dad's reaction to finding his daughter in a lesbian tryst is hysterical.
    "I can help but admitting being a little turned on by this, but no way in hell am I letting this shit go down under my roof."

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's really neat to see the stuff from Van Buren get a second lease of life in New Vegas. Caesar's Legion in particular is going to be ridiculously fun. Car chariots people, car chariots!

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So is New Vegas an expansion?

JJ on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Stand alone game.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just hope they don't lose the exploration aspect. That is what sold FO3 to me. And the lack of exploration is what unsold Vampire to me.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I just hope they don't lose the exploration aspect. That is what sold FO3 to me. And the lack of exploration is what unsold Vampire to me.

See, for something done by Obsidian, I'd be perfectly happy if it were just a straight corridor with no options at all. Because it's Avellone.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Didn't the PC Gamer leaks say something about no main story at all and just straight up Group politics and Exploration

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I thought that was a "you're not the focus of the story", ie: you aren't the second coming, you're just a guy doing stuff in the overarching story.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    that was explained right at the top of the page!

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah well I hope they don't beat you over the head with the ALL THIS GROUPS HAVE THEIR OWN INTERESTS THEY ARE ONLY USING YOU YOU ARE AN INSIGNIFICANT ANT

over and over and over and over again. Lookin at you vampire.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Letting the player make up their own goals seems like exactly what this iteration of Fallout was missing. As much fun as I'm having tooling around the wasteland in Fallout 3 I really couldn't care less about the main quest. If I actually got to chose between groups and do things just because I felt like it or to advance an agenda of my own choosing, that would be interesting.

werehippy on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Yeah well I hope they don't beat you over the head with the ALL THIS GROUPS HAVE THEIR OWN INTERESTS THEY ARE ONLY USING YOU YOU ARE AN INSIGNIFICANT ANT

over and over and over and over again. Lookin at you vampire.

Have some faith, this is Obsidian, not trokia (and as it was, giving the player as much power as they got was already kinda against the premise of the vampire setting)

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    considering many people still bitched about how you got treated as an insignificant pawn in vampire, I wouldn't say they put too much effort into making it obvious.

L|ama on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    considering many people still bitched about how you got treated as an insignificant pawn in vampire, I wouldn't say they put too much effort into making it obvious.

Well, that's because you are an insignificant pawn in Vampire.

Welcome to the World of Darkness as a setting.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

an insigificant pawn with infinite cosmic power, it seems.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

yes no shit, that's the point. People still didn't realise that after supposedly being smacked around the head with the idea.

L|ama on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So after being pretty close to done with everything in FO3 (all the main vanilla story done, yet somehow still havent done "Tenpenny Tower" - just FOUND it yesterday - or "Agatha's Song"), does anyone else then go to the Fallout wiki, see other options, and then plot out a second run through?

As much fun as Ive had with my 'let whatever happens happen' run, Im kinda psyched to plot out an ultimate route doing things I never even knew existed.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    dowondowon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?act=findpost&hl=&pid=15610295
    Q: This ones for Chris Avellone;

You helped make Fallout 2, right? I think everybody agrees that Fallout 3 was different, but have you done anything to make NV be more like the first two? Or are you following in Bethesda's footsteps? To me it wouldn't matter either way. I'm just wondering.

Chris Avellone: Yep, I did area design and encounter design for F2 (worked on Vault City's third and final iteration, companions: Cassidy and Myron, special encounters, New Reno, Raider Camp, and the EPA, which got canned - and good thing, too, we already had too many locations) and some perk designs. Brian Menze, Feargus, Chris Jones, Scotty Everts, and Dan Spitzley are all here, all worked on Fallout 2, not all of them are on New Vegas, though.

The trailer is the only thing I can point to to answer your question, can't say much more than that. Josh and John Gonzalez (our creative lead and master of all things plot-related) put together a great story with some fun new mechanics, and they know their Fallout. I think we're using all the stuff we've been kicking around for the past ten+ years with RPGs and seeing how they can be applied to New Vegas on both the plot and system side.

dowon on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    so, in other words, its going to be the best damn thing ever just ignore the bugs.

thats something i can get behind.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Or they see their chance of cramming all of their ideas in there resulting in a hit or miss kind of plot. Only time will tell.

It's probably all good though. I like all kinds of Fallout, except for that one which shall not be named....
    ..not even in a spoiler!

Movitz on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Old World of Darkness. New one has more room.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So when will Fallout eventually implement cars and road rage ala Mad Max?:winky:

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That would sort of not fit the Fallout universe. Cars are rarer than fucking leprechans. To see one working is a mircale, to see a dozen defies belief.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That would sort of not fit the Fallout universe. Cars are rarer than fucking leprechans. To see one working is a mircale, to see a dozen defies belief.

You're so cynical and depressing. I was looking more for a "Yeah, that'd be awesome!"

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »

You're so cynical and depressing. I was looking more for a "Yeah, that'd be awesome!"

Meh, they're pretty rare and I'd like to see maybe one or two at the most.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So when will Fallout eventually implement cars and road rage ala Mad Max?:winky:

Fallout 2.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    alright, I have a question.

I've played the shit out of Fallout 3 on 360 but traded in last summer so I could buy Killzone 2 (what a disappointment, that was) and I just picked up a used copy of the GOTYE for PS3 and started a new game last night.

So, my question is this: should I level up and do some quests before I try to tackle any of the DLC expansion missions? Does it scale so I'll be good whatever level I'm at, or will I just get ripped apart?

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    alright, I have a question.

I've played the shit out of Fallout 3 on 360 but traded in last summer so I could buy Killzone 2 (what a disappointment, that was) and I just picked up a used copy of the GOTYE for PS3 and started a new game last night.

So, my question is this: should I level up and do some quests before I try to tackle any of the DLC expansion missions? Does it scale so I'll be good whatever level I'm at, or will I just get ripped apart?

You will get ripped apart on anything but Zeta. I'm stuck on Zeta cause it's so fucking boring.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Hey! I'm about the furthest thing from an NMA killjoy as there is. I just don't think a legion of cars fits the setting, that's all.

Now if we're talking apocalyptic mini-karts, that's a different story.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Armies of cars wouldn't really fit Fallout, but I don't see why some cars shouldn't exist. I mean there are fucking robots, why not cars? FO3 obviously isn't setup for vehicles, but the car worked well in FO2 and I'd actually really like to see them appear in a future game, maybe in a way similar to Borderlands.

Of course, I'm not complaining if they don't show up, because I can see how integrating them could be a real pain in the ass, but if it happened it'd be awesome.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I liked how it was handled in Fallout 2, repairing up a car for your own personal use.

Still, I can imagine a raider gang driving around stuffed into a single truck.

Reserve the army of cars for big organizations that can afford to hunt down actual working or half-working machines and keep them running, like NCR.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    I could buy 2-3 cars running around, maybe held by someone very high up

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    so guys

should I buy fallout 2 on steam for 10 bucks?

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'd actually really like to see them appear in a future game, maybe in a way similar to Borderlands.

Let's hope not.

:?

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Armies of cars wouldn't really fit Fallout, but I don't see why some cars shouldn't exist. I mean there are fucking robots, why not cars? FO3 obviously isn't setup for vehicles, but the car worked well in FO2 and I'd actually really like to see them appear in a future game, maybe in a way similar to Borderlands.

Of course, I'm not complaining if they don't show up, because I can see how integrating them could be a real pain in the ass, but if it happened it'd be awesome.

I cant imagine why there would not be cars or at least improvised motor vehicles of some kind. Especially if Vegas is relatively intact you would pretty much have to have something capable of getting you around quickly if the city is still big.

It's not like a car is some magical piece of technology that takes incredible effort to maintain. A tank sure but just a car? Just slap an engine on some wheels and bolt it to a box, pow a car. A horribly unsafe car but fuck if no one cares about safety why not?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well to be fair, a couple bullets do turn cars into nuclear bombs.

I'm not sure I'd want to drive one.

Toxic Pickle on