Options

[Fallout 3] Wubba harrrrglb? JAMBAAGLR

• Options
    MightfoMightfo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    what the hell
    why does anyone give a shit about graphics quality past like, ps2+some antialiasing
    complainers sound like they are 12

Mightfo on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mightfo wrote: »
    what the hell
    why does anyone give a shit about graphics quality past like, ps2+some antialiasing
    complainers sound like they are 12

because looking at something thats supposed to look semi-realistic but looks like someone made a plastic mold of a face, then shat in it, is distracting

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thank god you edited that. You could nearly taste the irony.

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Falllout 3 ended up being good, but not great and certainly not as good an RPG as the first games. Putting that aside though, Falllout 3 showed a huge advancement in RPG design from Bethsoft. It had actual choices with actual tangible consequences - a complete and absolute first for them. It showed depth in dialogue that Bethsoft haven't done before - just because it isn't as well written as Fallout or Fallout 2 doesn't change the fact it's a massive step forward for Bethsoft and they can only get better.

Fallout 3 wasn't the abomination some people were afraid it would be, especially because it really was a game for people who loved exploring and finding stuff (the world was huge and definitely not empty, level scaling loot bullshit died with Oblivion and such forth). That Fallout New Vegas is built on the same engine as Fallout 3 is something I don't care about at all. The fact many of the original designers are working on it, whom I am sure can improve Fallout 3 dramatically in the areas it wasn't quite up to snuff in (dialogue and writing) is the most significant part.

I would rather them use Fallout 3s base and make a great RPG by making good writing, choices and such than build a buggy isometric game out of a new engine. One thing makes sense and the other is working on an already built platform to make a good RPG. Obsidian have demonstrated their ability to make good deep RPGs (KotoR2 and Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer) but they aren't competent in coding at all (KotoR2). Better them work with what is already there and make a great game, than go from scratch and make a deeply flawed great game (KotoR 2 I am looking at you).

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kotor 2 would be a better example for Obsidian building content in an existing engine. NWN2 at launch would be an example of their problems with writing their own code

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was hoping this wouldn't be AS drab puke green.

Broke my heart.

(Yes, I understand that Vegas is brown but its not poopy brown green.)

donhonk on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I could begrudgingly live with F3's graphics if not for the faces.

Facegen really is awful.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Kotor 2 would be a better example for Obsidian building content in an existing engine.

They only got 12 months and rushed it out though. So it showed the depth of their writing talent but also demonstrated how poorly they did with it. NWN2 was also built on an existing engine (The NWN engine) but wasn't an exceptional RPG at all. It took Mask of the Betrayer for them to really show their ability.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mainstream sucess.
    Who cares?

People who want more games in the series? Reviving it to have it sell terribly would make it very unlikely to get revived again.

L|ama on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    mainstream sucess.
    Who cares?

People who want more games in the series? Reviving it to have it sell terribly would make it very unlikely to get revived again.

There seems to be some misconception that the first fallout games were particularly obscure, which isn't really the case at all. They sold well enough to get spinoffs.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mainstream sucess.
    Who cares?

There seems to be some misconception that the first fallout games were particularly obscure, which isn't really the case at all. They sold well enough to get spinoffs.

It was the spinoffs that sold abysmally and it's because they sold abyssmally that ineptplay didn't believe making another RPG sequel to Fallout was worth-while at the time.

Yes, they are that stupid.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    mainstream sucess.
    Who cares?

It was the spinoffs that sold abysmally and it's because they sold abyssmally that ineptplay didn't believe making another RPG sequel to Fallout was worth-while at the time.

It certainly didn't help that Tactics kinda sucked. And there are no other spin offs

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm fairly sure that the franchise died because interplay held the rights to it when its management moved offices to rat-filled cardboard boxes in back alleys.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mainstream sucess.
    Who cares?

It certainly didn't help that Tactics kinda sucked. And there are no other spin offs

Well, there was that Brotherhood Of Steel thing on the consoles, but it's probably best to pretend that never happened at all.

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There are no. other. spinnoffs. :x

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The FO3 engine is fine, the bugs seem to be mostly in the implementation of it, not the engine itself.

If you don't wanna play a drab wasteland game, well, go play something that isn't set in a post-nukeelar wasteland.

FO3 has some of the most beautiful vistas I've witnessed in any game ever.

And you can get mods to remove the green filter, change the weather and the sky, add trees... The Fo3 engine is just fine.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mainstream sucess.
    Who cares?

What does this have to do with anything previously in the quote tree? It's a mainstream success so it gets more sequels. If it weren't a mainstream success, it would be less likely to get more sequels.

L|ama on
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

oh, right, i see, sorry

yeah, no other spinoffs.

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Why would you link to an empty youtube link, man? That just doesn't make sense. What's more, I played that video, and suddenly it was 11 seconds in the future and I had no memory of what just happened. You should look into that, sounds dangerous.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Also, four lights. Only four lights.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Re-installed after various mod-induced crash issues, and I'm looking to use one of the vegetation mods this time around. I know there's Greenworld and Greenerworld, are there others to look at? If not, how do those two compare to each other?

Metallikat on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

oh, right, i see, sorry

yeah, no other spinoffs.

WTF IS THIS? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

mrt144 on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Isn't wasteland jesus one of the karma ranks?

Anyway I found playing evil to be less entertaining than I had previously thought.

Granted I stopped at 20 instead of finishing (mainly because I had just finished an 80 hour complete playthrough prior), but after killing yet another town and stealing all their shit it was just...eh.

Blowing Megaton was cool; and there are definitely high points of playing an evil character, it just didn't feel very satisfying to me.

Yeah, playing as rampaging evil gets old after awhile, I agree. But you can be a very bad person in FO3 without simply running around killing everything that moves, which I tend to find more fun for some reason. Working with Paradise Falls, as an example, is kinda neat, as well as the Megaton example you cited.

I do like the freedom in FO3 though; especially at times like that dick in Arefu who is all 'get the fuck out!' when you are told to go check on him and his crazy wife. I respond 'Really? That's how you want it huh?' and blow him to hell. Ruins the quest but is still good times.

Plus there's little more satisfying than pickpocketing explosives onto people and watching them freak the fuck out for those few seconds before they explode.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I do like the freedom in FO3 though; especially at times like that dick in Arefu who is all 'get the fuck out!' when you are told to go check on him and his crazy wife. I respond 'Really? That's how you want it huh?' and blow him to hell. Ruins the quest but is still good times.

There's great stuff like that in the previous Fallouts, as well.

For instance, I was playing FO2 last night and got to New Reno. If you go there with the car, when you leave the screen and come back, it's been stolen. You can get a witness to take you where they took it. Then you go in, you can be all, "That's my car assholes" and start a fight. Or you can do what I did. Offer to buy it, get them to upgrade it and pay whatever they want, then when they're done, calmly pull out your .44 and shoot the dude in the face. Once everyone is dead, take your money from the dude's corpse and drive away in your newly upgraded car.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

For instance, I was playing FO2 last night and got to New Reno. If you go there with the car, when you leave the screen and come back, it's been stolen. You can get a witness to take you where they took it. Then you go in, you can be all, "That's my car assholes" and start a fight. Or you can do what I did. Offer to buy it, get them to upgrade it and pay whatever they want, then when they're done, calmly pull out your .44 and shoot the dude in the face. Once everyone is dead, take your money from the dude's corpse and drive away in your newly upgraded car.

or if you are female
    you can whore yourself out to get it back, and keep doing it and make the poor guy explode from exhaustion, requires high end i think.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010

or if you are female
    you can whore yourself out to get it back, and keep doing it and make the poor guy explode from exhaustion, requires high end i think.

That is lovely.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

or if you are female

That is lovely.

He does literally explode.

It's actually possible to solve a lot of problems in Fallout 2 by having sex with it.

Also, with suitably high stats it's even possible to have a gay marriage.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also, with suitably high stats it's even possible to have a gay marriage.

Doesn't even need particularly high stats, just a decent Talk skill and having done the ghost farm quest.

Kind of surprising, too, given the dialogue tree that leads there.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ive only played fo2 once through to the end, and that was as a female slut.

i pretty much fucked my way through the game, i had a lot of cold showers back then.

oh my god where as my life gone.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ive only played fo2 once through to the end, and that was as a female slut.

i pretty much fucked my way through the game, i had a lot of cold showers back then.

oh my god where as my life gone.

Im always of the belief that things couldn't possibly be any worse so why not fuck your way through? Although I did that once with Bishop's wife as like a level 6 character and had to restart cause I couldn't fight my way out.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Metallikat wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Urian wrote: »
    august wrote: »

It looks like Fallout 3 DLC...

Why do people keep saying that it looks like DLC or a mod?

What the hell did Fallout 2 look like, a brand new game? Is everyone unfamiliar with the idea of a game that looks like the game that came before it? Or has nobody ever played Terror From the Deep, TIE Fighter, Gears of War 2, Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate II, KOTOR 2, Crysis: Warhead, and so on?

Isometric fallou was a different story.

it didnt rely on graphics as a story medium, it relied on text and depth.

Depth which is lost when you see things like Moira.

To be fair, it is NMA. They are petty, bitter people who will rage and complain about anything until they are blue in the face. If the graphics had been overhauled to be super up-to-date and optimized to be able to run on 10 year old computer at max settings, they'd bitch at how the devs are clearly spending too much time on graphics and are obviously ignoring the story because they just don't understand the spirit of Fallout and what made it so great before they got their greasy evil hands on it, goddamnit! That's just how they are.

I thought everyone was exaggerating about NMA until I saw this page. I mean, jesus. I needed to take a shower after perusing that forum.

It's like the internet was just projectile vomiting rage and disappointment out at me.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    Metallikat wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Urian wrote: »
    august wrote: »

It looks like Fallout 3 DLC...

Why do people keep saying that it looks like DLC or a mod?

What the hell did Fallout 2 look like, a brand new game? Is everyone unfamiliar with the idea of a game that looks like the game that came before it? Or has nobody ever played Terror From the Deep, TIE Fighter, Gears of War 2, Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate II, KOTOR 2, Crysis: Warhead, and so on?

Isometric fallou was a different story.

it didnt rely on graphics as a story medium, it relied on text and depth.

Depth which is lost when you see things like Moira.

To be fair, it is NMA. They are petty, bitter people who will rage and complain about anything until they are blue in the face. If the graphics had been overhauled to be super up-to-date and optimized to be able to run on 10 year old computer at max settings, they'd bitch at how the devs are clearly spending too much time on graphics and are obviously ignoring the story because they just don't understand the spirit of Fallout and what made it so great before they got their greasy evil hands on it, goddamnit! That's just how they are.

I thought everyone was exaggerating about NMA until I saw this page. I mean, jesus. I needed to take a shower after perusing that forum.

It's like the internet was just projectile vomiting rage and disappointment out at me.

Yeah, NMA (while a great resource) are a bunch of grognard asshats who can't hold a conversation without bile shooting out of their eyes.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    to be fair stuff like that isnt really common these days so its quite the shock to see the imagery, doesnt bother me tho despite the initial huh moment, im still going to whore myself all over it. :winky:

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    some new info from a ps3 mag, screenshots are more or less the same from the other scans, theres one or two new shots of npc wheel and tests.

has some maybe spoiler stuff in it
    * It shows the command wheel for followers, with 8 commands: toggle melee/ranged, open inventory, toggle stay close/keep distance, back up, toggle aggressive/passive AI, use stimpack, toggle wait here/follow me, return to normal dialogue.
    * Scripting is wittier, characters more distinct. Example from vigour test word association: mother-human shield.
    * Opening inventory consists of a kit from the doc, adapted to your starting stats (like Fallout 1).
    * The Nevada area is less affected by the nuclear war, so it has plant life, relatively unspoiled houses, and in visual presentation has saturated colours and a bright sky.
    * There's a tutorial (led by a character named Sunny who looks a lot like Moira Brown), but unlike Fallout 3, it's optional, so you can hit the open game in 5 minutes from starting.
    * NCR and Caesar's Legion are the confirmed faction, article assumes Brotherhood of Steel will be in but they weren't not mentioned in the presentation.
    * "In New Vegas it's all about the player examining the ideologies of the various groups that are controlling the area and supporting one over the others," explains Sawyer. "Each of the ideologies will have something good that you can relate to, but will also have massive flaws."
    * When asked about PS3's Fallout 3 being inferior to the others and if New Vegas will do better, Obsidian devs make no promises but indicate it was a learning process and they're working with all 3 platforms and all have problems.
    * The New Vegas strip is still in construction but will have gambling, variety shows and concerts.
    * Electrical power is key in the faction struggle.
    * Radiation is still a problem, there's a nuclear test site to explore north of New Vegas.
    * The soundtrack will blend "Rat Pack style tunes with more Western numbers".
    * New Vegas doesn't tell a single-player story, but weaves decision into the gameworld and gives you greater power to influence things than Fallout 3 did.
    * On top of adding back in geckos, New Vegas has a whole new type of animal: mutated mountain rams called Big Horners.

the bolded part is slightly worrying..

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    some new info from a ps3 mag, screenshots are more or less the same from the other scans, theres one or two new shots of npc wheel and tests.

has some maybe spoiler stuff in it
    * It shows the command wheel for followers, with 8 commands: toggle melee/ranged, open inventory, toggle stay close/keep distance, back up, toggle aggressive/passive AI, use stimpack, toggle wait here/follow me, return to normal dialogue.
    * Scripting is wittier, characters more distinct. Example from vigour test word association: mother-human shield.
    * Opening inventory consists of a kit from the doc, adapted to your starting stats (like Fallout 1).
    * The Nevada area is less affected by the nuclear war, so it has plant life, relatively unspoiled houses, and in visual presentation has saturated colours and a bright sky.
    * There's a tutorial (led by a character named Sunny who looks a lot like Moira Brown), but unlike Fallout 3, it's optional, so you can hit the open game in 5 minutes from starting.
    * NCR and Caesar's Legion are the confirmed faction, article assumes Brotherhood of Steel will be in but they weren't not mentioned in the presentation.
    * "In New Vegas it's all about the player examining the ideologies of the various groups that are controlling the area and supporting one over the others," explains Sawyer. "Each of the ideologies will have something good that you can relate to, but will also have massive flaws."
    * When asked about PS3's Fallout 3 being inferior to the others and if New Vegas will do better, Obsidian devs make no promises but indicate it was a learning process and they're working with all 3 platforms and all have problems.
    * The New Vegas strip is still in construction but will have gambling, variety shows and concerts.
    * Electrical power is key in the faction struggle.
    * Radiation is still a problem, there's a nuclear test site to explore north of New Vegas.
    * The soundtrack will blend "Rat Pack style tunes with more Western numbers".
    * New Vegas doesn't tell a single-player story, but weaves decision into the gameworld and gives you greater power to influence things than Fallout 3 did.
    * On top of adding back in geckos, New Vegas has a whole new type of animal: mutated mountain rams called Big Horners.

the bolded part is slightly worrying..

I think the point is that it's not about your search for your father, you're just part of the big New Vegas v NCR fight. You're not the messiah for once.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ah, that makes more sense.

For some reason my first thought was that meant it would be some chapter driven thing where you're a different character each chapter (like Eternal Darkness, kinda) and I was all "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Not that Eternal Darkness was bad, but it doesn't fit this game.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, that's what I got from it.

This isn't your guy's story. This is the story of New Vegas, and you're just a character in that greater story.

The idea of exploring a nuclear test site sounds promising. Hopefully radiation has a little more kick now.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    hm i read it as "there is no plot, you just go in and do stuff until you get bored" but i like TychoCelchuuu version better.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    hm i read it as "there is no plot, you just go in and do stuff until you get bored" but i like TychoCelchuuu version better.

Yeah... I don't think that's Obsidian's MO.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh hey, the revolver here has two barrels and what seems to be two chambers one on top of the other.

Suriko on