As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout 3] Wubba harrrrglb? JAMBAAGLR

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tanolen wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Its been like 70 years, you never know, I just wonder if harrold is going to make some kind of apperance.

Not unless we go back to DC.

He is the only person to be in every game. Kind of their running joke.

Maybe someone sends a seedling back to Cali. "Son of Bob."

august on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    august wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Duffel wrote: »
    Do we know when NV falls in the timeline?

Before or after FO3?

Three years after.

BTW, this was one of the couple points that Bethesda refused to budge on.

Wait... what? Did Obsidian want to set it later? I don't see why.

The opposite. They wanted to set it before the events in F3, but Bethesda only wanted to keep moving forward in time with the series.

This seems like a bizarre decision, particularly looking at just how much time is not touched upon at all between the events of FO2 and FO3.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This seems like a bizarre decision, particularly looking at just how much time is not touched upon at all between the events of FO2 and FO3.
    Seriously. They're going to have to start shortening the time between games or making some midquels, or else it's not going to make any sense for mankind to still have this post-apocalyptic scavenger society in like 2477 or something. 200 years is already kind of pushing it.

Personally, I'd love to see a game that takes place very shortly after the war, or perhaps even before it. We never really get to see the pre-war world except in flashbacks but it seems like it would make a pretty compelling setting.

Doubt they'd ever do it for a main series game (too risky business-wise), but a side-game similar to New Vegas could be pretty cool.

Duffel on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Its been like 70 years, you never know, I just wonder if harrold is going to make some kind of apperance.

Not unless we go back to DC.

He is the only person to be in every game. Kind of their running joke.

Maybe someone sends a seedling back to Cali. "Son of Bob."

Yeah, but it wouldn't have Harold. I mean, not unless Son of Herbert... sorry, Son of Bob, was to grow a mutant in his trunk with the genetic memories of Harold.

Which would actually be pretty damned cool. A new species of mutant/plant with genetic memory responsible for reseeding the Earth? Say wha'?

Yeah, but thats one of the bigger bones to pick with Bethesda's choices in the first place. They went stupidly far ahead in time, with nothing to show for it. No new tech and everything is exactly the same. A lot of stuff in F3 just ceases to even make sense, even in term's of Fallout logic, once you go "wait, 200 years?"

I'd be perfectly happy if they just retconned it into having happened earlier, because there is absolutely nothing that would be damaged by doing that. Just pretend the couple of dates on terminals here and there are a couple years earlier.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Klash wrote: »
    Yeah, but thats one of the bigger bones to pick with Bethesda's choices in the first place. They went stupidly far ahead in time, with nothing to show for it. No new tech and everything is exactly the same. A lot of stuff in F3 just ceases to even make sense, even in term's of Fallout logic, once you go "wait, 200 years

Bethesda set Fallout 3 only 17 years after Fallout 2. Unless you mean in general, in which case I agree, but Bethesda didn't do most of the pushing.

august on
  • Options
    ShrikeTheAvatarShrikeTheAvatar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, but thats one of the bigger bones to pick with Bethesda's choices in the first place. They went stupidly far ahead in time, with nothing to show for it. No new tech and everything is exactly the same. A lot of stuff in F3 just ceases to even make sense, even in term's of Fallout logic, once you go "wait, 200 years

Bethesda set Fallout 3 only 17 years after Fallout 2. Unless you mean in general, in which case I agree, but Bethesda didn't do most of the pushing.

Reading Wikipedia, it says Fallout 2 was set in 2241, and Fallout 3 in 2277. But yeah, I didn't realize Fallout 3 was only that much further into the future - for some reason, I thought the first 2 were like 200 years earlier.

ShrikeTheAvatar on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I messed up looking at the timeline at The Vault.

august on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Reading Wikipedia, it says Fallout 2 was set in 2241, and Fallout 3 in 2277. But yeah, I didn't realize Fallout 3 was only that much further into the future - for some reason, I thought the first 2 were like 200 years earlier.

Not really.

the game is not based on science.

its based on SCIENCE!

200 years of brown is what SCIENCE! says nukes would do

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I mean I used to agree that it was silly that people hadn't rebuilt better after 200 years but now that I think about it there's just a lot less people and they're barely surviving. And the only people who are any good with tech are hoarding it.

august on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I mean I used to agree that it was silly that people hadn't rebuilt better after 200 years but now that I think about it there's just a lot less people and they're barely surviving. And the only people who are any good with tech are hoarding it.

I know DC was bombed harder, but c'mon, it's not like we need a vault city here, even a boneyard would be a reasonable degree of rebuilding

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I know DC was bombed harder, but c'mon, it's not like we need a vault city here, even a boneyard would be a reasonable degree of rebuilding

Yeah, but what's the population of the DC Wasteland? A few hundred people? There's going to still be a bunch of houses and stuff.

august on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Speaking of DC getting bombed harder though, is there some kind of explanation for why the White House is still standing, because you'd think that would be a prime target.

august on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

The question is why? though.

Given that the entire region is populated with delinquents, super mutants and devolved raiders that have no hope to regain their humanity; who would even rebuild and why would they?

And even if they did chances are the shit would be torn down or taken right away anyway; so whats the point. Rebuilding in that situation would be almost flaunting what you have and asking to be attacked by cretins. The people with the means and know how to rebuild aren't the same people with the means and know how to defend what they rebuilt.

I dunno; in the DC example to me it makes sense they haven't rebuilt. There isn't enough of a population of civilized humans to support an effort to not only rebuild but to hold and even if they could; again, why?

Absent of an actual U.S. government, D.C. itself is pretty meaningless and terribly difficult to defend in the bigger picture. Anyone who had thoughts to rebuild an actual society would be better off moving at the very least into the Appalachians, or further west into the Rockies in order to have a defensible area to rebuild in and start society anew. D.C. really wouldn't be the place to do it.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Speaking of DC getting bombed harder though, is there some kind of explanation for why the White House is still standing, because you'd think that would be a prime target.

The rule of 'it would be neat to see the White House and other DC landmarks' I guess. It might be more realistic to have all those major buildings be destroyed, but it kind of loses something if your setting is Washington, DC and they're all gone.

ShrikeTheAvatar on
  • Options
    TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Nothing should be standing after nuclear bombs hit, but then you wouldn't have a game.

Tanolen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Uh...the white house isn't still standing. o_O

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Meant the Capitol Building. Oops.

august on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Nothing should be standing after nuclear bombs hit, but then you wouldn't have a game.

Well something should be standing, because not everything's a military target.

august on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, what Shrike said.

If they didn't have some recognizable landmarks still up the designation of D.C. would be completely arbitrary. It's for familiarity sake.

And it looks cool.

Plus, while I realize Nuclear bombs are more powerful than the atomic bombs dropped in japan; you can look at old pictures from those sites to see that some buildings are in fact still standing; it doesn't just utterly vaporize everything.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    I was slightly disappointed we didn't get to actually see the White House. Could have been a cool place for a sidequest, certainly more interesting than the national archives. I wonder if maybe there was some sort of legal issue about depicting it in a video game?

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Really? Its such a short amount of time between the two?

Bombs fell 2077, F2 was then just under 200 years and F3 was exactly 200 years.

I don't know, it still feels off, SCIENCE! or not. It kinda seems like the world of Fallout just isn't ever gonna make any progress of any type and its kind of annoying, to me. Its funny, though, because of 4 important factors now happening in the Wasteland, assuming good/total exploration is canon...
    Trees coming back from Oasis, pure water from Project Purity, forging abilities and a radiation cure from The Pitt.

Not to mention the muties are seemingly out of FEV, they no longer have the GECK and the Capitol Brotherhood know their location. Enclave is smashed to pieces and the Brotherhood are in complete technological dominance now, having control over the Enclave's stuff. If there is any other Fallout that touches base with F3, I'd like to see that the Brotherhood elected to change their name and motiff and the DC Wasteland isn't a complete shithole anymore.

Klash on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Between FO1 and 2 at least there felt like there was progression, even if it wasn't necessarily towards a modern civilization. The big gap in time in between the first two games was necessary to explain the founding of the tribal society that gives birth to the main character. Between then and FO3 it doesn't seem like anything has happened except for the spreading of the Enclave's influence.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The Capitol muties aren't out of FEV, they're just running out of FEV. They're still capturing people to dip.

august on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Between FO1 and 2 at least there felt like there was progression, even if it wasn't necessarily towards a modern civilization. The big gap in time in between the first two games was necessary to explain the founding of the tribal society that gives birth to the main character. Between then and FO3 it doesn't seem like anything has happened except for the spreading of the Enclave's influence.

DC probably didnt have a vault dweller come out and make the wasteland livable, until now atleast, either.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I was slightly disappointed we didn't get to actually see the White House. Could have been a cool place for a sidequest, certainly more interesting than the national archives. I wonder if maybe there was some sort of legal issue about depicting it in a video game?

I would be surprised if that was the issue, given the 'Whiskey Hotel' level in Modern Warfare 2, in which you see the White House after the nuke went off over DC - it's damaged and you go inside. I'm sure there are plenty of other games.

Anyway, as for the progress of DC over 200 years, it seems like it would be hard to gauge. Do any of the other games hint at what DC was like just after the bombs dropped? I'd forgotten that Vault 101 was an experiment into the role of the overseer, which accounted for their continued isolation after the surface was considered 'safe.'

One thing to consider is the psychological toll that living in such a wasteland would take - you could at least argue that would account for some of the perceived lack in progress. A majority of people would probably grow up and witness some terrible things happen to their immediate family, which would make them likely to just become hermits, obsessed with protecting themselves and their family, like the Republic of Dave.

ShrikeTheAvatar on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

DC probably didnt have a vault dweller come out and make the wasteland livable, until now atleast, either.

Its a bit strange, you'd think the Enclave would have been jumping on DC long before know, given how important it is. You'd think they'd be fully aware of ol'Prime and want him something fierce.

Also, Eden.
    He was built in Raven Rock, right? What took so long for him to commandeer the Enclave's forces? Did they just straight fly across the country from shore to shore?

I'm playing Point Lookout now. Its actually pretty neat. I like the size of the DLC maps, I just wish I could fast travel between them, instead of having to take trips. It'd make looting a lot easier. I'm a bit put-off by the absurdly strong locals, given that I can take an Enclave Tesla Armored goon down in 3 hits with just about anything, and can survive multiple face hugs from a Deathclaw. Once again the atmosphere is cool, the design is great and the exploration is top-notch. Bethesda does it again.

Worth mentioning, too. Apparently there is a vendor with 100 repair skill in Point Lookout. A glitch that possibly isn't actually a glitch. I intend to make full use of this and wear out of my T-51b:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Haley

Klash on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    There's actually a few hints about what DC was like immediately after the war in FO3.

Carol at Underworld talks about it if you ask her, some of the terminals at the Germantown police station were written by aid workers trying to treat people with radiation poisoning. LOB Enterprises apparently tried to stage a (very short-lived) revolution. Manya in Megaton also tells some stories that seem to date back at least 100 years that she heard from her ancestors, regarding the wasteland in the pre-Megaton days. Probably some other stuff I've forgotten.

Duffel on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Over the years I've gotten good at just ignoring canon I don't like. As far as I'm concerned, FO3 is set 100 or so years after the bombs fell.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Another thing I think would be important is the loss of basic medical and survival skills. People in the middle ages probably had a better idea about how to handle birth and pregnancy than the people living in the Capital Wasteland.

august on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Another thing I think would be important is the loss of basic medical and survival skills. People in the middle ages probably had a better idea about how to handle birth and pregnancy than the people living in the Capital Wasteland.

at least in the middle ages there was an abundance of plant and animal life that could have medicinal uses.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well there are still plenty of Pre-War Books and lots of copies of the DC Journal of Medicine around...

ShrikeTheAvatar on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well there are still plenty of Pre-War Books and lots of copies of the DC Journal of Medicine around...

knowing how to do a kidney transplant isnt going to do you any good if you cant a sterile enviroment and the propper equipment

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Seriously. They're going to have to start shortening the time between games or making some midquels, or else it's not going to make any sense for mankind to still have this post-apocalyptic scavenger society in like 2477 or something. 200 years is already kind of pushing it.

I don't think so. Civilization was fucking obliterated. I'd think it would take more than a couple centuries to rebuild society into anything even approaching it's pre-war level.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010

But most of those books were Burned and... unreadable? At least I think that was the idea. The Librarian wasn't interested in them, anyway.

august on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

I think I read somewhere that Washington DC had some whiz-bang new missile/bomb defense capabilities, having been rolled out to protect the capitol before anywhere else. And then the bombs fell.

But I'm not completely certain.

Suriko on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    What you mean of far superior writing to anything that Bethsoft has done? Neverwinter Nights: Mask of the Betrayer and Knights of the Old Republic II (albeit the second game grossly unfinished) have some of the best writing in any RPG. Given that they have the man behind Planescape Torment their track record on writing is absolutely superb.

The game being more buggy and unfinished than a newly established ant-colony: Now that's a genuine concern.

"the man behind" is really a completely invalid reason to think something will be good

Except for the fact that Obsidian has routinely again and again knocked it out of the park writing wise? I mean, Black Isle didn't do a bad job with writing either of the original 2 Fallouts and Planescape Torment is the absolute pinnacle of RPG writing to date. The current company has produced Mask of the Betrayer and KotoR2 - both games have fantastic writing (especially KotoR2). So you just don't have a coherent argument, because Obsidian even from the days where many of them were from Black Isle have an amazingly consistent ability to produce well written games.

Now their OTHER track record is just as bad as their ability to produce excellent writing is good. That they have produced routinely extremely buggy and partially finished games (NWN2, KotoR2 as key examples) is a major concern. Hopefully they've taken the time to *really* finish New Vegas.

The white house took a direct nuclear bomb and so it's just a crator with glowing ones in it. But it is actually in the game... as a crator.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Speaking of F2 and Super Stimpacks...

...fuck Lynette. Seriously.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I like to think that by having an already solid (relatively) game engine and not having to rush to release (like with KoTOR 2) Obsidian are pretty much in the sweet spot.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And let's be fair, it's not like Bethesda has a perfect record of catching bugs or engine flaws either. Or animations for that matter

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    What you mean of far superior writing to anything that Bethsoft has done? Neverwinter Nights: Mask of the Betrayer and Knights of the Old Republic II (albeit the second game grossly unfinished) have some of the best writing in any RPG. Given that they have the man behind Planescape Torment their track record on writing is absolutely superb.

The game being more buggy and unfinished than a newly established ant-colony: Now that's a genuine concern.

"the man behind" is really a completely invalid reason to think something will be good

Except for the fact that Obsidian has routinely again and again knocked it out of the park writing wise? I mean, Black Isle didn't do a bad job with writing either of the original 2 Fallouts and Planescape Torment is the absolute pinnacle of RPG writing to date. The current company has produced Mask of the Betrayer and KotoR2 - both games have fantastic writing (especially KotoR2). So you just don't have a coherent argument, because Obsidian even from the days where many of them were from Black Isle have an amazingly consistent ability to produce well written games.

Now their OTHER track record is just as bad as their ability to produce excellent writing is good. That they have produced routinely extremely buggy and partially finished games (NWN2, KotoR2 as key examples) is a major concern. Hopefully they've taken the time to *really* finish New Vegas.

Actually I have a perfectly coherent argument considering the points you're consistently making have had pretty much nothing to do with the point I was making which was I wasn't referring to the story when I was talking about expectations and in fact explicitly said that.

Feel free to actually read the posts in the future.

EDIT: Because I don't feel like debating whether I said it or not I'll just save the trouble and I'm done with this idiotic argument:
    I hope ya'll aren't getting your hopes up too too much for most of these changes to be as deep as you're thinking.

In terms of writing resources and talent Obsidian have Bethsoft beat very comprehensively. Given J.E. Sawyer and Chris Avellone both worked on the original games (and other very dialogue intensive games) that is one area I have considerable confidence in them over the original Fallout 3. The writing was the most glaring weak link in Fallout 3 along with its lack of difficulty and I have full confidence Obsidian have fixed both (Hardcore mode and well, it's Obsidian they've proven their ability to write stories).

The only question I have is if the game is going to be finished when its released.

I wasn't really referring to the depth of the writing.

My 16mo old daughter could probably write more compelling dialogue than anything found in FO3.

I was referring to the depth of choices and other things that the game will improve upon.

I have no doubts that FO3:NV will be at least as good as FO3 and likely straight up better, but I still think that much of the player freedom is going to be inherently as limited as that in FO3 for primarily design reasons. As cool as it sounds to a player to be able to complete a mission in whatever manner they like and have it recognize your creativity; it's really a nightmare proposition for a developer.

Take even the aforementioned sniper mission example on the last page. The way they described it someone might come away with the idea that "holy shit I can complete missions however I want!"; when the reality is, no, they just put in a few more predetermined completion triggers that present more options but are still inherently walled off to their design.

I wasn't meaning to say the game would be disappointing or anything. i just fear for the absurdly high hopes some will inevitably get and I fear for the thread(s) afterward where those of us who are a little more grounded in our expectations will get what we expect and those with lofty dreams will be disappointed and angry. it's inevitable; it happens with every game...it's just depressing. :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on