As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I want to try something here....

• Options
    MoridanMoridan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I want a D&D (3.5, Eberron) 1st/3rd person open ended sandbox RPG similar to Oblivion...

However!

The moment you encounter an enemy, or whenever you would like to initiate it on your own, the camera pulls back giving you an isometric view of the battlefield, complete with transparent grid-lines. Effectively, this turns your screen into a battlemat.

At this point, the rolls are made and initiative starts. The game becomes turn based, and is played out just like a table-top D&D game would, all on a virtual 5' square grid.

When a spell is cast, a critical hit is landed, an enemy is killed, whatever, a dynamically generated CGI movie will be shown, with the high-res character models performing their actions (casting the spell, killing the enemy, whatever is cool and dramatic). You can choose to skip the cinematic as you see fit.

At the end of the encounter, you can choose to view the whole thing from the cinematic perspective.

You create a party of four characters, and can play through the main and side quests as you see fit. I want mounts usable in combat, the ability to climb, cast fly spells, and teleport....then add in online co-op, and you have yourself the greatest RPG ever made.

Moridan on
    Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary
    opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.
    - Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    fly through blood vessels and eradicate bad cholesterol.

comes with nanobots that gets rid of your cholesterol in real time as you blow them up on screen.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:

comes with nanobots that gets rid of your cholesterol in real time as you blow them up on screen.
    But what happens if you screw up and destroy something vital accidentally? You're fucked.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:

But what happens if you screw up and destroy something vital accidentally? You're fucked.

Reload your last save.

Duh.

[spoiler:d52affcf51] :wink: [/spoiler:d52affcf51]

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oblivion, but with a sci-fi setting, and entire systems and planets to explore.

I second that. Preferrably set in the WH40K universe. An Inquisitor game would kick ass. Sadly, I don't think Mass Effect is going to be anywhere near as good as it should be.

I do have hope for Fallout 3 though.

cyphr wrote:
    Steampunk MMO. More open-ended than WoW, less linear than Oblivion (you read that right). Think GTA, with other people in a much bigger world, and far more things to do, in a steampunkish-setting.

The best way I can describe what I'm thinking is the style of Blade Runner, in the setting of Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver.

EDIT: Actually, a Blade Runner MMO would be badass in its own right. Make it like the Multiverse from Snow Crash.

I'd rather see it set in something more like Arcanum. It just doesn't get better than the Victorian era for steampunk stuff, IMO. I haven't read Quicksilver yet though, just Snow Crash and The Diamond Age. Had I known Quicksilver was steampunk, I would have picked it up already.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    D.T. wrote:
    PikaPuff wrote:

Reload your last save.

Duh.

[spoiler:27ca6e81c3] :wink: [/spoiler:27ca6e81c3]
    Damn it. It seemed like a good game idea at the time.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    KKprofitKKprofit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    holodeck.

Agreed.

You just tell that bitch what you want to play... "Computer... i wanna be atticus from to kill a mockingbird" or some shit... whatever you want man. (kinda like pheonix wright) :)

KKprofit on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I want a game that is similar to the second part of Spore. I am talking about the part where there are a bunch of different species forming different parts of the food chain and competing for resources. I want something like that except that you don't have to control just one creature. You would be able to experiment by adding new creatures into the environment and watching them interact with each over. For example, you could add a rabbity thingie that would be the top predator or add a normal rabbit that would become a quickly populating herbivore that tries to avoid being eaten. For the herbivores, you can set it up so that there are different plants for them to eat and a certain species might only eat certain plants. The carnivores can also be made to eat mostly certain animals. You would be able to compete online with your animals by seeing which species can do the best in terms of the numbers of that species.

Couscous on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A Japanese style RPG where the random battles were all guitar duels fought using the Guitar Hero controller.

All that requires is modding Gitaroo Man to work with the GH controller, and you're more or less set, excluding the RPG bit.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I once had a dream where I was moving at an extremely rapid rate, careening off of walls and building up speed by flinging myself around corners and off of anything with a ledge or handhold.

Essentially, a first-person, extremely fast N. If the technology was sufficient that the game's input would come directly from thoughts, instead of peripherals, this sort of game would work extremely well.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Thoughtless MuseThoughtless Muse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    New fighting games from Capcom.

Oh wait, we're getting one.

imgdisplay.cgi?id=15&name=coverimg

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    jedijzjedijz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    titmouse wrote:
    I want a game that is similar to the second part of Spore. I am talking about the part where there are a bunch of different species forming different parts of the food chain and competing for resources. I want something like that except that you don't have to control just one creature. You would be able to experiment by adding new creatures into the environment and watching them interact with each over. For example, you could add a rabbity thingie that would be the top predator or add a normal rabbit that would become a quickly populating herbivore that tries to avoid being eaten. For the herbivores, you can set it up so that there are different plants for them to eat and a certain species might only eat certain plants. The carnivores can also be made to eat mostly certain animals. You would be able to compete online with your animals by seeing which species can do the best in terms of the numbers of that species.
    Viva Pinata?

jedijz on
    Goomba wrote: »
    It is no easy task winning a 1v3. You must jump many a hurdle, bettering three armies, the smallest.

Aye, no mere man may win an uphill battle against thrice your men, it takes a courageous heart and will that makes steel look like copper. When you are that, then, and only then, may you win a 1v3.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BlindProphet
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MuddBudd wrote:
    A game where I'm grad student doing a project, and I have to convince forumers to give me ideas to use.

Slick. It's true I'm very interested in what people expect from games, I want to see how open-minded people here can get to trying new ideas and never saying 'that will never work'. With this thread I want to see what idea everyone likes and see how we would create it with todays technology.

That said, I am enjoying the thread.
    PikaPuff wrote:

Doctor! Use your Healing Touch!

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SirUltimos wrote:
    Lemming wrote:
    MechWarrior RPG-ish type game

Gameplay just like the other MechWarrior games, a mech sim

Could be like an MMO or just with individual servers, whatever, as long as there are persistent characters and mechs. You start out with a small amount of money and have to work your way up through tournaments or missions; no real skills or levels, but as you play more you make more money and are able to use a wider range of mechs and weapons, maybe unlock different weapons from different factions as you gain favor with them, etc.

I would lose my life to it.

Wouldn't you rather have all the best mechs and weapons at the start of the game? I understand that the earning money and buying stuff mechanic works for some games but wouldn't you rather have every weapon at your disposal right at the start or do you enjoy money management as a gameplay feature?

I'm not sure of his reasoning, but if everything was available at the beginning it seems like there would be no goal to work towards and no real sense of accomplishment.

Then we create another sense of accomlpishment that the player gets when he gets to use his souped up mega mech. This reminds me of how a 3d Metroid game would work if Samus had all her powers at the beginning (and kept them this time). The gameplay of the Metroid games is structured around the mechainc of using a power or skill to earn a new poweror skill that lets you explore further and earn another power or skill. The next feeling of accomplishment the player gets, underneath the item retrieval is usually the accomplishment of beating a tough enemy or finding something whilst exploring.

How about this. Samus starts with all the powers she earns at the end of Metroid Prime. Instead of removing them like the games usually do, she keeps them and they do not upgrade, they stay the same throuout the entire game. The combat stays the same as in Prime but the enemies are suitably more tougher this time around, usually needing the missle/beam combos right at the start to take them out. The feeling of accomplishment from this game would not be earning the new weapons, but learning how to use them effecitvley to explore and defeat enemies. Samus lands on a planet after the player goes through basic training with her weapons and must get creative with her weapons and skills to accomplish tasks. From preventing the game from being too easy the game can be designed about making the game easier for players who decide to use the simpler weapons and skills. For example-

Samus comes across a doorway in a canyon that is blocked by a landslide. These rocks are piled high and can be climbed to exit the canyon, but if climbed there are many hazardssuch as avalanches that have to be avoided with skillful use of rockets, energy beams, super jumps and further on are enemies that require skillful use of her weapons.

Samus can simply blast the rocks away with her missle launcher but then this negates the possiblity of her climbing the rocks and reaching another area. In this doorway is a much easier route that only requires usage of her rockets and energy beam, maybe her energy whip and morph ball. The player soon learns how to use these and explore further. The player who took the route that requres lots of skillful work of all their skills ends up at another place on the planet that provides a challenge and the route 'splits' again depending on her choice of dealing with situations such as the first rockslide that blocks the door. Slightly more challenging solution than what was used before to pass, or use another solution that provides even more skillful use of her tools.

If the player takes the easier routes, they find some information about the planet that they were looking for when they reach the end of their route, this information is guardsed by a semi tough boss that requires decent useage of Samus' skills. After the player has beaten this route of the game and have confidence in using her skills, they may want to tackle the tougher routes on their next try of the game. These tougher routes need more skill to beat and provide tougher bosses, but the tougher route that is taken the more informtaion is revealed to Samus about the planet, including the information that was available at the end of the easier routes.

There you go, a Metroid game with plenty of explortaion, the ability to use all of Samus' skills right at the start of the game and provides the right amount of challenge to anyone who thinks they are confident enough to take on aid challenge, on the way teaching them how to use the tools at their disposal.

What do you think?

I like the sounds of that. However, it doesn't translate into the multiplayer game that Lemming described (unless I'm reading it wrong, which is possible).

The kind of challenges you described works perfectly for Metroid and other games of it's ilk (Half of the fun in Metroid was always exploring new areas anywya) but I'm not sure it could be done in what sounds like a multiplayer arena combat game with such a degree of customization possible.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jedijz wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    Viva Pinata?
    From what I have seen of Viva Pinata, it is closer to Animal Crossing and one of the Sims than what I am thinking of. Viva Pinata doesn't give you the ability to tinker with the animals by adding extra parts and other stuff. The animals don't inherit traits from their parents. I'm thinking of a game that would actually simulate a natural food chain and evolution with the goal of creating a supercreature rather than a game where you are supposed to discourage animals from killing eachover.

Couscous on
  • Options
    baddmanbaddman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    KKprofit wrote:
    holodeck.

Agreed.

You just tell that bitch what you want to play... "Computer... i wanna be atticus from to kill a mockingbird" or some shit... whatever you want man. (kinda like pheonix wright) :)

That is the most random thing I've heard in a while. /applause

edit: forgot my game idea:
    a real fullmetal alchemist game with the ability to specify what you want to transmute things into. could require a working knowledge of chemistry, biology, science in general. would be fun to experiment with transmutation and see what happens. i think the Oblivion treatment would work well as a pacing mechanic- an overall story that progresses at your pace, with lots of side stuff to occupy your time otherwise.

Transmuting humans would of course [spoiler:984ce88bfa]send your PC/console to 1940s Europe.[/spoiler:984ce88bfa]

baddman on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    baddman wrote:
    KKprofit wrote:
    holodeck.

Agreed.

That is the most random thing I've heard in a while. /applause
    I'd buy one!

core tactic on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SirUltimos wrote:
    SirUltimos wrote:
    Lemming wrote:
    MechWarrior RPG-ish type game

Gameplay just like the other MechWarrior games, a mech sim

Could be like an MMO or just with individual servers, whatever, as long as there are persistent characters and mechs. You start out with a small amount of money and have to work your way up through tournaments or missions; no real skills or levels, but as you play more you make more money and are able to use a wider range of mechs and weapons, maybe unlock different weapons from different factions as you gain favor with them, etc.

I would lose my life to it.

Wouldn't you rather have all the best mechs and weapons at the start of the game? I understand that the earning money and buying stuff mechanic works for some games but wouldn't you rather have every weapon at your disposal right at the start or do you enjoy money management as a gameplay feature?

I'm not sure of his reasoning, but if everything was available at the beginning it seems like there would be no goal to work towards and no real sense of accomplishment.

Then we create another sense of accomlpishment that the player gets when he gets to use his souped up mega mech. This reminds me of how a 3d Metroid game would work if Samus had all her powers at the beginning (and kept them this time). The gameplay of the Metroid games is structured around the mechainc of using a power or skill to earn a new poweror skill that lets you explore further and earn another power or skill. The next feeling of accomplishment the player gets, underneath the item retrieval is usually the accomplishment of beating a tough enemy or finding something whilst exploring.

How about this. Samus starts with all the powers she earns at the end of Metroid Prime. Instead of removing them like the games usually do, she keeps them and they do not upgrade, they stay the same throuout the entire game. The combat stays the same as in Prime but the enemies are suitably more tougher this time around, usually needing the missle/beam combos right at the start to take them out. The feeling of accomplishment from this game would not be earning the new weapons, but learning how to use them effecitvley to explore and defeat enemies. Samus lands on a planet after the player goes through basic training with her weapons and must get creative with her weapons and skills to accomplish tasks. From preventing the game from being too easy the game can be designed about making the game easier for players who decide to use the simpler weapons and skills. For example-

Samus comes across a doorway in a canyon that is blocked by a landslide. These rocks are piled high and can be climbed to exit the canyon, but if climbed there are many hazardssuch as avalanches that have to be avoided with skillful use of rockets, energy beams, super jumps and further on are enemies that require skillful use of her weapons.

Samus can simply blast the rocks away with her missle launcher but then this negates the possiblity of her climbing the rocks and reaching another area. In this doorway is a much easier route that only requires usage of her rockets and energy beam, maybe her energy whip and morph ball. The player soon learns how to use these and explore further. The player who took the route that requres lots of skillful work of all their skills ends up at another place on the planet that provides a challenge and the route 'splits' again depending on her choice of dealing with situations such as the first rockslide that blocks the door. Slightly more challenging solution than what was used before to pass, or use another solution that provides even more skillful use of her tools.

If the player takes the easier routes, they find some information about the planet that they were looking for when they reach the end of their route, this information is guardsed by a semi tough boss that requires decent useage of Samus' skills. After the player has beaten this route of the game and have confidence in using her skills, they may want to tackle the tougher routes on their next try of the game. These tougher routes need more skill to beat and provide tougher bosses, but the tougher route that is taken the more informtaion is revealed to Samus about the planet, including the information that was available at the end of the easier routes.

There you go, a Metroid game with plenty of explortaion, the ability to use all of Samus' skills right at the start of the game and provides the right amount of challenge to anyone who thinks they are confident enough to take on aid challenge, on the way teaching them how to use the tools at their disposal.

What do you think?

I like the sounds of that. However, it doesn't translate into the multiplayer game that Lemming described (unless I'm reading it wrong, which is possible).

The kind of challenges you described works perfectly for Metroid and other games of it's ilk (Half of the fun in Metroid was always exploring new areas anywya) but I'm not sure it could be done in what sounds like a multiplayer arena combat game with such a degree of customization possible.

Oh, well, that idea for the Metroid game was... well just an idea for a Metroid game. I was adressing the issue of the player not having to earn their cool stuff, aka, the mech's weapons to gain a sense of accomplishment, that Metroid ideas was something that is similar as in you have all of Samus' weapons/all the mech weapons without having to earn them and the game will still be fun and satisfying.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    D.T. wrote:
    PikaPuff wrote:

Reload your last save.

Duh.

[spoiler:3a15eb2e67] :wink: [/spoiler:3a15eb2e67]
    Damn it. It seemed like a good game idea at the time.

We are already working on this
    tumor-large.jpg
    This is one of the projects in the works from the [Dev On]XNA Threads from a few months back.

Handkor on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Alright alright, try this formula

(Planetside's Vehicles/Huge Servers - the portal system + space travel) + (Halo 1's Controls & Action) + (Halo 2's weapon system (ie, dual wielding of anything)) + (Gears of War's cover system) = Teh Pwnz0r.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    D.T. wrote:
    I want a multiplayer RPG (not an MMO) in which the gameplay consists of infinitely more than grinding monsters. I want to be able to strategize and be creative with my party members and have few limitations in how to achieve a goal.

Yes please. Multiplayer goal oriented/story RPGs.

Alternatively, I want more games that are designed for coop from the begining. Most games shoot for having a singleplayer that can also be multiplayer. Screw that, I want games that expect me to have a friend, and I can play it alone if I must, but the focus was originally in a multiplayer atmosphere. Specifically, lets say I want an RPG with a more actiony combat, and everything is the same as any other RPG, but instead of having to have things like turns or gambit systems, everyone plays their characters. And they don't dumb everything down like they do any other multiplayer RPGish game (I'm looking at you Gauntlet and Crystal Chronicles).

piL on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh, well, that idea for the Metroid game was... well just an idea for a Metroid game. I was adressing the issue of the player not having to earn their cool stuff, aka, the mech's weapons to gain a sense of accomplishment, that Metroid ideas was something that is similar as in you have all of Samus' weapons/all the mech weapons without having to earn them and the game will still be fun and satisfying.

Well yeah, maybe for a single player game. However, this is for a multiplayer game. Plus, the situations are very different; if you have all the options already available, there would be no reason to use any of the smaller, weaker mechs. Everyone would just go for the most powerful one, which happens in the multiplayer for Mechwarrior 4. This would basically mean that the only way to play would be to pick the most powerful unit. If you had to earn them, you would have much, much more diversity.

Lemming on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lemming wrote:

Well yeah, maybe for a single player game. However, this is for a multiplayer game. Plus, the situations are very different; if you have all the options already available, there would be no reason to use any of the smaller, weaker mechs. Everyone would just go for the most powerful one, which happens in the multiplayer for Mechwarrior 4. This would basically mean that the only way to play would be to pick the most powerful unit. If you had to earn them, you would have much, much more diversity.

reading Lemmings idea makes me think of something like eVe in the battletech universe.

Handkor on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MuddBudd wrote:
    PikaPuff wrote:

Doctor! Use your Healing Touch!

More like powers of satan.

Anyways......A squad based mmo with a fully interactive environment. You control four guys, since the unrwitten law for squads is 'Four and no more, you whore.' or something like that. You decide from a few different classes of what you want. Snipers, gunners, medics, mortars, whatever teh eff you want. Call me crazy, but the idea of ambushing another player's squad by sniping them from afar from atop a tree and then leading them into a dead end to be bombarded by grenaades makes me wish I was in charge of a game company.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    piL wrote:
    D.T. wrote:
    I want a multiplayer RPG (not an MMO) in which the gameplay consists of infinitely more than grinding monsters. I want to be able to strategize and be creative with my party members and have few limitations in how to achieve a goal.

Yes please. Multiplayer goal oriented/story RPGs.

This is what DDO was originally described as from Turbine. Fuckers.

Doronron on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I would soo love an Urban Chaos MMO, just an all out shooting war.

Run outside of your gang's territory, flag down a taxi, and just before you go over to the driver's side to pull out the driver, you have some asshole back up into the car and sandwiching you in the process and he drives off but about a block down the road someone throws a grenade and blows his ass up but before that guy can go loot the dead guy's weapons a sniper from the train tracks pops his head off and aims at another victim taking cover behind a wall from 4 guys in an SUV doing driveby's with Shotguns and SMGs.

Yes I know of Multi theft auto, but it simply isnt big enough, we need to like, take a portion of a city, like Portland, and throw about 100 people in it, otherwise it would be too barren. :(

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Actually, if I remember correctly, I think one of the guys working on GTA 4 mentioned he's working on an MMO based on GTA 3, and plays the same.

core tactic on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Lemming wrote:

Here is an incentive for people who want to use smaller, less armoured, hella fast mechs that die in one hit, put a nuke in the passenger's seat. Pick a small mech, put in a nuke and start running after a huge lumbering mech in the distance as you dodge his minigun and sniper fire. Latch onto him, eject and set off the nuke. If the guy ejected out of his mech too (these would have some serious thrusters on them to get them high enough to avoid a nuke blast), by the time his chute has opened, you are gracefully drifting to the ground with your sniper rifle aimed at his head he is helplessley trying to deploy his chute and get his gun out.

Now don't tell me you wouldn't take that little mech if you could do that. Watching 200ft beomoths run away from your 20 ft high mech as you hear the occupants screaming 'OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT!' over their headsets as they try to shoot you while running backwards would be awesome and hilarious.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    TzyrTzyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    *SNIP*

As a metroid fan, it would be neat to have a world to explore with all her powers. Having the bad guys throw a lot at you and as you learn to use the powers more efficiently and at the right time, makes the encounters that much easier.

Not to mention things like exploring and what not, how the abilities are there, it's just the player can learn to use them and use them well. I will explain a little more at the end (it's off topic and about metroid sequence breaking).

The same idea can be taking from fighting games. Pretty much all fighting games, all the move-sets and abilities each fighter has are available at the beginning, but how the player uses those abilities is what's part of the game and part of the challange.

The thing is, to make a lot of these games draw their crowd is not only the depth of their abilities and how they can be used to counter the other monsters/players, but also the unlockables (extra players, extra game types).

about sequence breaking (which is off topic, but the idea is of the same nature):
    Like I stated with fighting games, most sequence breaking techniques in metroid games are available from the start and most players will either not encounter the ability, let alone use them in game. To be able to use an ability (glitch/bug, but whatever, it's still in the game) that has always been there to finish the game faster, to defeat a boss with ease, or just avoid certain annoying puzzles is an interesting yet very difficult way of designing a game.

The problem is balance of the difficulty of the skills. If you compare Metroid Prime versus it's sequal, Echoes, the rate at which bugs/glitches/in game hidden abilities were found in Echoes was much higher than it's predecessor. Mainly cause a lot of the same abilities in Prime were able to use in Echoes.

The designer would need to balance how precise these skills/abilities will need to be executed to be able to accomplish certain feats in the game.

Tzyr on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have a lot of ideas and I'm trying to make one of them now. that is if I can ever figure XNA out at all.

Artoria on
  • Options
    PedroTheBearPedroTheBear Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Parkour + Entirely modeled city (day/night, traffic system, police, insides of buildings and people going about their day.)

Similar system as Mercenaries to get missions (from the Mafia, other gangs, police, and private citizens, etc). Have missions ranging from doing good things some less so. (Stop bank robbery, rob bank, act as a bodyguard for someone, steal secret documents).

From there you have to get to the objective using vehicles and Parkour. Especially using parkour to gain access to area will strategic advantage, you would be able to climb up buildings and run along walls for a short period of time. This would also be how you evade people chasing you (whether they be other gangs, the police, hitmen hided to eliminate you).

It could have other similar character you have to compete with, or work with. For example they may be trying to compete the same objective so you can try to convince them to join you, get there before them, or wait for them to do it and take what they got (if that would be possible for the particular objective).

To complete the objective you can use weapons (melee, ballistic and explosive). Combat would also involve martial arts. Damage would depend on the area being attacked and physics involved.
    You could also complete objectives by sneaking around.

Another thing that can be used to your advantage is the destructible environment.

PedroTheBear on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Tzyr wrote:
    about sequence breaking (which is off topic, but the idea is of the same nature):
    Like I stated with fighting games, most sequence breaking techniques in metroid games are available from the start and most players will either not encounter the ability, let alone use them in game. To be able to use an ability (glitch/bug, but whatever, it's still in the game) that has always been there to finish the game faster, to defeat a boss with ease, or just avoid certain annoying puzzles is an interesting yet very difficult way of designing a game.

The problem is balance of the difficulty of the skills. If you compare Metroid Prime versus it's sequal, Echoes, the rate at which bugs/glitches/in game hidden abilities were found in Echoes was much higher than it's predecessor. Mainly cause a lot of the same abilities in Prime were able to use in Echoes.

The designer would need to balance how precise these skills/abilities will need to be executed to be able to accomplish certain feats in the game.

I was thinking for this game that the player would not encouter the same puzzles as a player who took a different route did, both routes are completley different and feature puzzles and challenges that cater to the depth of challenge the player wanted, eg, the methods they used to get there.

Imagine it as a line of doors in a wall, door A is the easy route with little use of her abilies, door B has slightly advanced techniqes to acsess and progress, door c is very elaborate in it's puzzles and has plenty of challenge and door d is for people who have mastered the skills. Each door should require a simple or challenging method to get into to show you can handle the challenges from thereon in. If the player goes down a tough route there should be side passages that lead to later sections of easier or tougher routes if the player finds this route too easy or tough. These would be disguised as things like rocks blocking a passage or a grapple hook line surrounded by tough enemies. The player can continue down this route and notice some medium difficulty bad guys, take them on and carry on. They could decide that is too tough for them and notice the pile of rocks they they blow up and enter that, unbeknownst to them leads to an easier route. Also, they could notice the grapple line and think 'hmm, I bet I could defeat those guys with my super-rockets and ice beam combo and grapple-line', do so and reach the harder path that presents them with puzzles of this magnitude.

Does that make any sense?

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    a single player or multi player (single console) RPG where the world is so huge and massive that it would literally take you weeks to cover it all. Morrowind and Oblivion are good examples, just bigger. 3rd person. Cyber punk would be my preference in the setting and theme. The gameplay would consiste of Ninja Gaiden-esque combat and manuevers. Co-op would inclue fine tuned mechanics for co-op attacks and abilities. Being an offline game I would have it use a system where it could technically create infinite quests for itself based on time of day, time of month, time of year, time of decade and randomly chosen events that happen with the engine. If someone gets killed in a late night brawl and you weren't around for it (by chance of the engine deciding this to happen), then you hear about it the next day and can choose to go after those people or not. The world would be very busy and appear as living (as close as technology can afford really at the time). Each NPC would have jobs or things to do. Really, it can be just like Oblivion's system except just *more* of it and having the NPC's just do more in general. Interaction with every NPC in the game (thousands strong). Basically, creating a world you can virtually live in and go on about daily tasks except with combat like Ninja Gaiden and a system where once you beat the story line you literally have infinite possiblities ahead of you.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    baddmanbaddman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pedro- there is currently a parkour racing game in development... check out www.freejack.co.kr

baddman on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Here is an incentive for people who want to use smaller, less armoured, hella fast mechs that die in one hit, put a nuke in the passenger's seat. Pick a small mech, put in a nuke and start running after a huge lumbering mech in the distance as you dodge his minigun and sniper fire. Latch onto him, eject and set off the nuke. If the guy ejected out of his mech too (these would have some serious thrusters on them to get them high enough to avoid a nuke blast), by the time his chute has opened, you are gracefully drifting to the ground with your sniper rifle aimed at his head he is helplessley trying to deploy his chute and get his gun out.

Now don't tell me you wouldn't take that little mech if you could do that. Watching 200ft beomoths run away from your 20 ft high mech as you hear the occupants screaming 'OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT!' over their headsets as they try to shoot you while running backwards would be awesome and hilarious.

Well, that's only one situation, plus it wouldn't really make sense; light mechs aren't just suicide attackers :P

In this situation, I think it would simply make more sense and be more fun to have to earn stuff rather than just having it. Believe me, playing MW4M online, I realllllly like the Shadow Cat but I rarely get kills because everyone else just has an assault mech (the Shadow Cat is medium class). Sometimes I can get a kill if I find an assault mech by itself and I can maneuver around it so it can't hit me, but if there were more people with lower class mechs as well as heavy class mechs, I think it would be a lot more fun.

Lemming on
  • Options
    TzyrTzyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tzyr wrote:

I was thinking for this game that the player would not encouter the same puzzles as a player who took a different route did, both routes are completley different and feature puzzles and challenges that cater to the depth of challenge the player wanted, eg, the methods they used to get there.

Imagine it as a line of doors in a wall, door A is the easy route with little use of her abilies, door B has slightly advanced techniqes to acsess and progress, door c is very elaborate in it's puzzles and has plenty of challenge and door d is for people who have mastered the skills. Each door should require a simple or challenging method to get into to show you can handle the challenges from thereon in. If the player goes down a tough route there should be side passages that lead to later sections of easier or tougher routes if the player finds this route too easy or tough. These would be disguised as things like rocks blocking a passage or a grapple hook line surrounded by tough enemies. The player can continue down this route and notice some medium difficulty bad guys, take them on and carry on. They could decide that is too tough for them and notice the pile of rocks they they blow up and enter that, unbeknownst to them leads to an easier route. Also, they could notice the grapple line and think 'hmm, I bet I could defeat those guys with my super-rockets and ice beam combo and grapple-line', do so and reach the harder path that presents them with puzzles of this magnitude.

Does that make any sense?

That's how I look at games that I want to design. The idea that there are 3 paths (could be more, less, dun matter, but the gist):

1. long but easy to navigate path. Usually filled with more monsters and encounters. Could even design an even longer path that avoids these monsters if you so choose.

2. A cross between 1 and 3. Basically, some monsters, some puzzles/obsticles. Will take about a mid ground in time between the two as well.

3. Very elaberate puzzles/obsticles that you need a good knowledge of the game to get by. Maybe little to no encounters for you avoid them. High risk though for the obsticles are not forgiving.

I've always liked this idea for I like the idea that if you have several people playing the game, you might get several different stories of how one got passed that area of the game. You might also get several different opinions on what genre the game is. Is it a game like Prince of Persia (or Parkour like mentioned in thread)? Or is it endless armies that stand in your way (dynasty warriors)?

How Prince of Persia was designed for this generation (and what Assassins Creed is for Next) was something I really enjoyed. Yes, you could look at an area and figure out this is the route that you have to take (looks pretty obvious, ledges, poles, whatever). But if designed currectly, it could just look like ruins and a player might notice things to grab onto to help the player move from one area to another. The idea that the architechture of the building or structure itself is the obsticle, your path, was the reason for why I really enjoyed the games.

Metroid can do the same, but part of it's charm has always been the upgrades and the more futuristic/sci-fi nature to it's theme. I just wished some abilities like the grapple beam and spider ball did not have obvious tracts, rather that you could use on specific surfaces.

Tzyr on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Lemming wrote:

Well, that's only one situation, plus it wouldn't really make sense; light mechs aren't just suicide attackers :P

In this situation, I think it would simply make more sense and be more fun to have to earn stuff rather than just having it. Believe me, playing MW4M online, I realllllly like the Shadow Cat but I rarely get kills because everyone else just has an assault mech (the Shadow Cat is medium class). Sometimes I can get a kill if I find an assault mech by itself and I can maneuver around it so it can't hit me, but if there were more people with lower class mechs as well as heavy class mechs, I think it would be a lot more fun.

I'm sure the mechs and weapons could be balanced enough to allow every class to be useful and stand up in a big fight. Imagine the smaller mechs having enough agilty to have sensors that allow them to detect incoming missles or beams and automatically dodge them, ala Neo or Agent Smith from the Matrix movies. The smaller weapons could be more accurate and be focused on aiming for certian parts on other mechs, such as automatically aiming for a missle that is housed on the side of the mechs, covered quite well but since it is so large and does so much damage, the targeting systems of this smaller weapon can detect were it can be hit to make it detonate and blow up while on the mech. Huge, badass guns could do the same job but puncture straight through the other mech's armour, destroying plenty of vital components, but this weapon has limited ammo, manual targeting and takes a hella long time to reload. Other weapons like this could only target one system on a mech but reload faster, have auto targeting, etc. In your case, people who wish to stick to certian mechs and weapons can simply enter a game where the mechs and weapons are limited.

Unless you are totally adamant on having to buy these weapons, thoughts?

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hotlead Junkie, per your post on the second page, aren't you trying something along the lines of Full Spectrum Warrior? PA had a comic about this since the reviews had complained about not learning new techniques. While I hadn't played the game nor do I know how well it did, perhaps looking at games that went that route (which is what you were imlpying by your Metroid example) would give you insight as to how the gaming world took it?

PA-mechasandroids.jpg

Ardor on
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The Dark Tower.

MMO Style.

Red Dead Revolver showdowns.

Each server would be randomly generated so that things aren't quite the same everywhere with a time/dimension travelling feature to go between them.

People with Bird and Rat heads.

Vampires, lepers, demons, whores, and oracles aww yeah.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Slapnuts wrote:
    The Dark Tower.

MMO Style.

Red Dead Revolver showdowns.

Each server would be randomly generated so that things aren't quite the same everywhere with a time/dimension travelling feature to go between them.

People with Bird and Rat heads.

Vampires, lepers, demons, whores, and oracles aww yeah.

like the new half life episodes! only these take 5-6 years between!

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.