We have a new update on The Future of the Penny Arcade Forums.

[Chat] Dog Man

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Whenever I hear the terms "urban exploration" or "guerilla art", I want to punch everyone I see wearing a headband.

urban exploration is just exploring abandoned buildings and shit

it's awesome

Yeah, until the train tunnel collapses on your head and your mom sues the city because her son was an idiot.

Just saying :P

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Urban exploration = trespassing somewhere awesome

guerilla art = graffiti, but only when it's illegal

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Whenever I hear the terms "urban exploration" or "guerilla art", I want to punch everyone I see wearing a headband.

Why?

Passerbye on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    man, [chat]'s busy tonight.

Captain Carrot on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    mrflippy wrote: »

[img]http://coolaggregator.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/f9pc2tuffrd94rgmedium.jpg[/ img] I know, right?[/img]

OMG, that kid is just ASKING FOR IT!

Chanus on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thom, actually I have a work-type question for you.

The house I have bought has a crappily installed alarm with a few motion sensors, but no kick sensors or door sensors. Since I have housecats, this is totally useless to me and I want to disconnect it. Am I right in thinking that the best way to go about this is to turn of the electricity from the fusebox, open the panel (at which point the alarm will go off), disconnect the battery, then disconnect the battery in the external bell box? Anything I might be missing here that will leave me stuck with an alarm that I can't shut off?

Obviously there will be a ladder set up in advance and neighbours will be warned. Also ear defenders.

japan on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Urban Exploration = Trespassing.

Way to oversimplify. There's a bit of difference between walking onto any ol' person's property and exploring (for example) a dilapidated hospital.

Silas Brown on
    edited November 2009
    speaking of train tunnel there's an old train tunnel here I wanna check out

I'll bring a camera

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited November 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »

Why?

See above.

I have issues with property rights. =)

Chanus on
  • Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009

Go ahead, make my day.
    does anyone have a good guide to making a bumping key?

Most of the guides I found were "ok, so you file the key down to a bumping key. You're done."

this is treading into illegal territory here bud.

Phil G. on
    edited November 2009
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I'll move to Cambridge if you pay my rent, Irond.

Sorry already paying Frankie's way can't afford more mouths to feed.

Anyways who would anyone ever want to leave Brockton Mass?

Oh yeah, it's such a lovely city. I love not being able to walk down the streets for fear of being mugged. It's awesome!

You have to try harder to look like a mugger.

japan on
    edited November 2009

Way to oversimplify. There's a bit of difference between walking onto any ol' person's property and exploring (for example) a dilapidated hospital.

Why? Because one is cooler than the other?

They're both "any ol' person's property".

Chanus on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Shit man I had no idea that Edmonton had expensive houses.

I wasn't even sure that it had houses.

Prime igloo locations are hard to come by

Seriously over half the city is zoned for "creepy ancient indian burial site"

Even worse, the other half is zoned for current Native Americans asking for change and drinking in gutter

Senjutsu on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fuck. This. Shit.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited November 2009
    japan wrote: »
    Thom, actually I have a work-type question for you.

The house I have bought has a crappily installed alarm with a few motion sensors, but no kick sensors or door sensors. Since I have housecats, this is totally useless to me and I want to disconnect it. Am I right in thinking that the best way to go about this is to turn of the electricity from the fusebox, open the panel (at which point the alarm will go off), disconnect the battery, then disconnect the battery in the external bell box? Anything I might be missing here that will leave me stuck with an alarm that I can't shut off?

Obviously there will be a ladder set up in advance and neighbours will be warned. Also ear defenders.

Everything there will turn off any alarm. Alarms would have already been sent to everyone who cares with a proper alarm that's connected to an alarm central.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Even worse, the other half is zoned for current Native Americans asking for change and drinking in gutter

Well, it's prime territory around Rexall Place during the hockey season. :P

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
    edited November 2009
    Phil G. wrote: »

Go ahead, make my day.

Most of the guides I found were "ok, so you file the key down to a bumping key. You're done."

I'm not. In any way. Don't be stupid.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    Fuck. This. Shit.

Sup Mr. Feral?

Inquisitor on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Beating poorly set up alarm systems is possible, but a well set up alarm system is just unbeatable.

Kinda. It's going to seem like splitting hairs, but it depends on what you mean by beating and what standard you're using for well set up. And it depends on what you're trying to protect. Take schools for instance. They are a bloody nightmare to secure. Insane numbers of entrances and exits. Lots of windows. A population that wouldn't think of security. Locking it down so tightly that you can't break in is impossible. So you work with a layered approach. And you accept that the system can be defeated, so you try to make it as annoying as possible within the limits the client allows.

There are very few places that are willing to accept the degree of annoyance and expense needed to make a system as close to unbreakable as you can.

Thomamelas on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't know what guerilla art is supposed to be, but urban exploration looks awesome and I'd love to give it a shot sometime.

Guerilla Art = Graffiti

whoops you're a twat

TL DR on
    edited November 2009

Go ahead, make my day.

I'm not. In any way. Don't be stupid.

bump keys are illegal in most places as a breaking and entering tool. I wouldn't want to be caught by police carrying one. I was just giving a friendly caution about that.

Phil G. on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Go ahead, make my day.

It sure isn't.

@Feral: Why so blue, panda bear?

TL DR on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fuck. This. Shit.

S'more than I'm getting.

Incenjucar on
    edited November 2009
    I don't know what guerilla art is supposed to be, but urban exploration looks awesome and I'd love to give it a shot sometime.

Guerilla Art = Graffiti

whoops you're a twat[/ URL]

That's neat.

Why am I a twat?

Chanus on
    edited November 2009

Why? Because one is cooler than the other?

They're both "any ol' person's property".

There was a bit of a spate of urban exploration types in Glasgow injuring themselves. Selfridges bought a site with a load of condemned buidlings on it and didn't do anything with it except let some of the demolition go ahead and put a 3 metre high fence around it.

People kept scaling the fence and dropping down the other side, without realising that the building that was demolished had two storeys of basement, so the drop is effectively three and a half storeys.

japan on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Beating poorly set up alarm systems is possible, but a well set up alarm system is just unbeatable.

Kinda. It's going to seem like splitting hairs, but it depends on what you mean by beating and what standard you're using for well set up. And it depends on what you're trying to protect. Take schools for instance. They are a bloody nightmare to secure. Insane numbers of entrances and exits. Lots of windows. A population that wouldn't think of security. Locking it down so tightly that you can't break in is impossible. So you work with a layered approach. And you accept that the system can be defeated, so you try to make it as annoying as possible within the limits the client allows.

There are very few places that are willing to accept the degree of annoyance and expense needed to make a system as close to unbreakable as you can.

Do you guys do custom security systems?

Like, say I wanted a system to not only alert me of intruders, but also to spray them with glue and feathers.

mrflippy on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That's neat.

Why am I a twat?

That's Guerilla art.

Guerilla art /= Graffiti

Passerbye on
    edited November 2009
    It isn't illegal in "most places"

It isn't here, at all

And in the US as someone said you'd get harassed by the police for it probly, but bump keys are not illegal

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited November 2009
    There was a bit of a spate of urban exploration types in Glasgow injuring themselves. Selfridges bought a site with a load of condemned buidlings on it and didn't do anything with it except let some of the demolition go ahead and put a 3 metre high fence around it.

People kept scaling the fence and dropping down the other side, without realising that the building that was demolished had two storeys of basement, so the drop is effectively three and a half storeys.

Justice! :P

Chanus on
    edited November 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    That's neat.

Why am I a twat?

That's Guerilla art.

Guerilla art /= Graffiti

Oh... hmm... I've been misinformed.

Chanus on
    edited November 2009
    Oh please Chanus

tell me what's wrong with me exploring a building site at night

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2009
    Gonmun wrote: »

I saw some kids "doing Parkour" when I went to visit Halifax this summer.

It was a thing.

You went to Hali??

Yah it was my vacation this year. Took the Cat ferry up to Yarnouth from Bar Harbor Maine.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009

Guerilla Art = Graffiti

whoops you're a twat

Wow that's amazing.

JustinSane07 on
    edited November 2009
    Oh please Chanus

Other than the fact that it's probably a condemned death trap?

Chanus on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Fuck. This. Shit.

Sup Mr. Feral?

Work is driving me crazy.

As in, literally crazy. The last time I remember feeling like this was in high school.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That video was awesome Tim.

Watching all the sludge go down that gutter though, gah, I can only imagine what that gutter connects to.

Inquisitor on
    edited November 2009
    Oh please Chanus

Other than the fact that it's probably a condemned death trap?

building as in construction?

Also, that just means it's dangerous, not wrong

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited November 2009
    It isn't illegal in "most places"

It isn't here, at all

And in the US as someone said you'd get harassed by the police for it probly, but bump keys are not illegal

Alright, I'm not going to argue with you further.

Phil G. on
    edited November 2009

Justice! :P

To be honest, I was surprised by the number of people that will climb a three metre high solid fence (you can't see through it) and jump down the other side without looking.

japan on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2009

I saw an old igloo up in Greenland when I was there.

Seriously it was not a cool looking icedome like you see on the cartoons. It was just a shitty pile of mud.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.