Options

[Dnd4e] The Auxilliaries

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Trouble? Some court ninny," says Wade, almost shouting, "wants to amuse himself at my expense, nothing more. Probably one of Smith's jokes... it was about his level of foolish."

The merchant and his guards regain their seats, and the merchant gestures at you with his wineglass. "But you three... you're made of sterner stuff. Heroes, the lot of you!" He squints at you through unfocused eyes. "Weren't there rather a larger lot of you? Where's the big fella? No matter! Have a look at this!" He motions to one of his employees, wine spilling on the man's arm. Quickly hiding a grimace, the employee smoothly presents the party with a gleaming sword, extended to you hilt first. Surprised, the members of your party glance at each other for the briefest moment, and Wade speaks again. "Well, go on, take it! Quite a fine blade, eh? Marcus Wade takes care of his friends! Come, there are plenty seats. Barman! Move that table over here!"

A snort can be heard from a table on the other side of the room.

The sword is a parrying longsword +1. It took me awhile to figure out what loot to replace Kaazin's weapon with, since your other striker wouldn't get too much out of a fancy weapon.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    guys?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    WoogityWoogity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    still here just didnt think it would be appropriate for me to follow that one up.

Woogity on
    Rad Anvilspit hp 23/29 surge value 7 surges 1/10 17:ac 16:fort 12: ref 13: will

Henry Teach, human cutthroat

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Magllea takes a set across from Marcus and gives the blade a cursory glance. "It appears to be a fine blade, Mr. Wade, but I'm afraid I'm ot one to judge these sorts of things. My interests are more of the arcane variety."

The gnoll tilts her head slightly and says, "My name is Magllea, wizard and daughter of Quisinth and Arcyssa Brolloby. I'm sure you've heard of them? A man of your trade surely knows all about adventurers past and present. I've joined these three adventurers to investigate the doings and transpirings involved with these mudmen attacks. Have you any news we should be aware of?"

cytorak on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Thank you for the blade Mr. Wade. It will surely be of use against the mudmen. Hopefully we will have this matter resolved soon enough and Stonebrook will be free of this worry."

Erris stays standing, but pulls out seats for her companions at the new table. Her training in social warfare had taught her that a seated adversary was made to feel smaller by dealing with someone who had the opportunity to relax, but did not. She would sit for dinner, but for now she pressed with the weight of her words and forceful presence.

"Magllea asks what we all think...have you news since last night? We have gathered a few scraps, but surely a man in the know such as yourself has certain connections that we do not."

Erris drinks from her waterskin and awaits a reply.

Hey guys...still have limited internet for probably a week or so, but my move is done (in sunny CA as we speak). I will try to get on once a day still, but probably won't be able to do more than that.

Diplomacy - 32 (rolled a 20!)

Insight - 26

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The ramblings of Marcus Wade had began to make a small pounding feeling in Amaryllis' head. He'd much rather meet the man who fancied himself a connoisseur of fine blades. He slips over to the table of the man with the feathered cap. "So, new in town, and already making enemies I see. Mind if I take a seat?"

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    At first too distracted by Wade's Dealings with the newcomers, the young man quickly regains his composure and rises, removes his hat, and takes a slight bow when addressed by the brightly dressed man standing before him. More of the common folk around the bar chuckle amongst themselves at the gesture.

" Ah yes of course! " He gently flourishes his glass and closely checks the clarity of the wine before replying " Where are my manners!? Please take a seat and fashion yourself a glass! While craftsmen of this quaint hamlet seem to be lacking in skill, I daresay their wine is fairly passable." His eyes quickly dart to Wade at the mention of "craftsmen", then quickly return to his guest. While replacing the feathery monstrosity of a hat on his head and retaking his seat, he motions towards an empty chair at the table with his wine glass. Despite the broad swing of his arm, you notice the wine remains completely level in the glass without so much as a slosh.

Once seated he reaches a hand out towards the cleric and says in a rather fanciful tone " My name is Marazzo Digrassi...."

Upon closer inspection you notice that tho the man is very finely dressed to the point of absurdity for a traveler, his clothes do appear to harbor some wear, this man has clearly traveled a long ways, and on foot.

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Thank you Marcus, we appreciate this. As for our other companions, it seems they took their pay and fled. I'm sure you've had similar trouble with mercenaries in the past," Nall says with a wry smile. "So, what is the news about town?"

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Wade looks the gnoll up and down before responding. "How very nice to meet you," he says, a wide grin plastered over his face. "I have indeed heard of your noble parents. Their adventures were the stuff of saga and song... all knew of the beauty of Arcyssa and the bravery of Quisinth. Beauty which appears to be genetic, I might add! Ah, to relive the adventures of my youth... to stand before the dwarves once more at Olagg's Pass! We might have fallen if not for my sword, you know. Three of us stood against a dwarven assault at the height of the battle, our comrades dead beside us. Reinforcements had just arrived at the base of the mountain, and we knew they wouldn't arrive in time. Lesser men would have fled, but we held the line, heavy shields in one hand and light spears in the other. None of us fell in the first rush, for an axe is not a sword, and the weight of a hammer is useless without the strength of the arm. Now, if I could have taken a hammer to them... but it wasn't to be. We held them off with our longspears, and then rushed them as they fell back. They weren't expecting that, let me tell you!" Wade drains his wineglass in a large gulp before continuing. "The lawn ornaments even expected us to be cautious! As they started to regroup, we backed up to the top of the pass, standing proud and silently daring them to come again. Once they gathered enough numbers, they did just that. Even the best soldiers grew tired, and the man to my left was wounded in the second rush. I dispatched his foe with my own spear, and it stuck in the short bastard's body! I had to drop it as a hammer blow hit my shield. Bashing one dwarf with my shield, I drew my sword and stabbed the other dwarf before me, snaking my blade low beneath his guard. The three of us held until McNab's group reached us. We were heroes that night of course... What a celebration that was! Free flowing wine, and the ladies weren't exactly unappreciative either, if you know what I mean..." he looks to Magllea again as he trails off.

After a beat, he turns to Erris and Nall. "Connections... would I be Marcus Wade if I didn't have connections ordinary people lack? There's much information available in the Merchant's Guild. If you can get in to hear it, that is!" Marcus lets out a deep booming laugh. "Just yesterday I was speaking with Merchant Jones about the decreased profits this trip... seems folks in Stonebrook have bought all the weapons they're going to buy, despite the fact that there's a muddy menace that doesn't seem to have an end in sight. A bit suspicious, eh? Seems to me some of the people in this town know something about the mudmen we don't!" He pauses for a drink, forgetting that his glass is empty. Looking around in annoyance, he signals to the barkeeper. "Ahhhh, what else... Merchant Scotsby saw an increase in the demand for provisions, of course... but he said it came from one large order, the sort of things you'd need for an extended trip. We were expecting to see people stocking up for a siege situation. And the dwarf said jewel sales are up... but only for rubies. Someone is buying lots and lots of rubies. Since we all know rubies have properties that make them useful for enchantments, you don't have to be a genius to put two and two together, do you?"

"Enough about business, though. What do a pack of heroes such of yourself think of a border town like Stonebrook? Did you get the pleasure of meeting Looooooooooooooooooord Smith?" His singsong voice as he refers to the noble leaves his opinion of the man very clear.

Diplomacy is great success! It's not hard to tell that the merchant's war story has perhaps been embellished, to put it gently.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "And I, Amaryllis. Only Amaryllis." He took Marazzo's hand. And looked intently at Mazzaro, his trusting nature beginning to take over quickly. Or at least quicker than Amaryllis would like. "So what finds you here in Stonebrook? I pray it's not for the fine craftsmanship of a few swords." Amaryllis chuckles and takes a sip from that wine that had recently been produced from one of the King's Head barmaids.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    " Heavens no!" Marazzo replies with a chuckle. " Though truly I would never begrudge myself the opportunity to add to my collection." He says with his left hand resting on the pommels of two of his blades worn at his left hip. One clearly of elven make and the other more tribal with beads and brightly colored feathers lashed to it, a clashing element of his otherwise highborn attire, at his right hip rests a longsword with an elegantly crafted hand basket.

" I am as you may imagine a bit of a traveling swordsman, a term mind you, that I use loosely as most brigands with a sharpened piece of steel will call themselves such." Taking a moment to think he adds ' No, perhaps I would do better to call myself an artist of the blade. Such a poetic term would be much more fitting I daresay... You see I am seeking not only a chance to greater my understanding of the sword through contest with other worthy practitioners, but also to gain some coin in the process." his eyes look off as if deep in thought for a moment as he airily adds " There is something I must see to one day...."

He snaps back quickly " AH! Again it appears my manners fail me! What of yourself good sir, Amaryllis was it?" he says with an apologetic wafting of his wine.

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Thank you for this information, Marcus. You have been most helpful. We will be sure to sing your praises when we return home."
    Bluff=27 to flatter him.

"About the guild, you say it's difficult to get in? Do you think it would be possible for us to get in and ask some questions? Lord Smith doesn't seem to be much in favor there, based on our meeting with him, and wasn't able to provide us with any help. But I have a feeling that you can do what he could not."

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Oh, of course, of course! Swing by some time and ask for me. I'll take you wherever you want to go."

Bluff succeeds, and Erris's insight roll is good enough for a hint in what bits of Wade's info dump are of any use to you whatsoever, or you guys can try to figure it out yourselves. Let me know.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    As the verbose swordsm-- nay, artist of the blade speaks, Amaryllis' attention is drawn to the sword. "I am as you may imagine a bit of a traveling swordsman...". His eyes resting upon the sharp contrast between weapon and wielder. "Such a poetic term would be much more fitting I daresay...". Something brought him back to the forest, a primal spirit calling...His thought was interrupted by the mention of his name.

"Indeed my good friend! Amaryllis it is. I come here with my friends. We are Auxiliaries you see. Conscripts of his majesty to deal with problems too trivial for the guard. I'm sure you've heard of such. Although the description sells us short in my opinion."

After Amaryllis speaks he begins to concentrate on his comrades. It seems we may be in luck my friends. We lose two fellows one day, only to find two more the next. This flamboyant man fancies himself a swordsman, and seems to be teeming at the brim for action. What do you think?

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, if his intentions are true, then Pelor has truly smiled upon us. We welcome you, Marazzo!

"Mr. Wade, you have been most helpful. It does seem as though the tangle of this mystery knots itself further with every passing hour. Let us dine and prepare ourselves for what may come. I may seek out Sir Steven later this evening to update him as to our progress, but let us enjoy what respite we may. I fear that in our line of work, it shan't last long."

Erris finally takes a seat and order a small glass of ale along with a large pitcher of water. She motions for everyone to join them, even Marazzo, though she knows the merchant and the swordsman are not on the best of terms. I am Erris Iratian, Marazzo, welcome to the Auxiliaries. We also have deep reservations about Mr. Wade, but it is best to keep his sort close to us, yes?

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Slightly startled by the voices in his head, yet comforted by their non nonchalant manner of speech and even tone; Marazzo takes a deep bow to the shining paladin declares " Lady Erris! It is my humblest pleasure to make your acquaintance, surely the angels weep for want of your beauty amongst their number! Surely if this man is an acquaintance of you fine people, I may have misjudged him at first impression."

Marazzo's thoughts lack the grace and well thought out nature of his words. A pleasure to meet all of you! You seem a good sort as for the fat one, I would prefer to keep him no closer than the tip of my blade, a man who passes off toys such as these as weapons that can defend or claim life surely has no honor to speak of...Alas I shall guard my tongue in his presence and save my rage for the field, I would not seek to complicate your mission here.

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't want to keep you guys from combat for too long if you are getting antsy... We can roleplay this dinner and see what you guys can get out of it, or I can just narrate right past it. Which would you prefer?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Im ok with either, battle might speed things up a bit?

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm okay with either, but my personal vote is for narrating past this dinner.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Nall notices Marazzo's confused look. Are you guys talking into the new guy's head? You really should warn people first.

"Welcome aboard. It will be nice to have someone with reliable steel along with us."

I'm fine with role playing or narration here.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Amaryllis pats the new recruit on the back. "It's nice to have you with us. May Melora bless you."

I'm down for some action.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think we've gotten some good info here, I'm down for either action or maybe returning to Sir Steven and seeing what he makes of our info.

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The dinner with Wade is long, and his manners don't change throughout the meal. Twice Erris has to defuse tense moments between the merchant and the swordsman. It's after dusk when you return to the inn. The innkeeper sets out bread, cheese, and a light wine as you take a table.

If you want to talk and get to know each other, cool. If you want to skip forward to the morning, feel free to go to bed.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Im ok with either, i wouldnt mind going to bed, looking forward to taking this guy into combat

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    After eating quietly, Nall excuses himself. "Try to get some rest tonight, the mud men could show up at any time. Also, try not to disappear tonight. I'll try to keep watch in the hallways a bit tonight."

Go to my room and trance for four hours, then patrol the halls during the night. 20 perception, 23 Stealth in an attempt to not wake anyone up.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Magllea finishes eating and retires to her room. She finds it hard to sleep, excited at the prospect of joining her new companions and discovering the truth behind the mud men.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    As the party retires from their table to turn in for the night, Marazzo turns at his door and cordially apologies to the group for his outbursts at dinner, and thanks Erris for diffusing the situation, as he was honor bound to speak up against that despicable man. Then with another low bow he backs into his room and turns in for the night.

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Erris retires to her room for the evening. She rushes through her prayers, jots down the clues in the margins of her prayer book and prays for guidance. She gets to sleep shortly after midnight. Logic puzzles were always her bane at the Reliquary and this one was no different.

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Amaryllis finishes his latest glass of wine and heads to the room behind Erris. He had a few glasses and went to bed very easily, despite having anxiety that he couldn't explain about tomorrow.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hey guys I'm going to be out of town with limited internets access for a couple days so if anyone wants to act for me go for it.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The previous day's fog has burned off, leaving a clear blue sky. It looks to be a warm, sunny day. When you reach the common room, the smells of bacon and sausage are unmistakable. It appears breakfast will be a bit more substantial today.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    At the breaking of dawn Marrazo rises and half dresses. The next hour is spent at practice with his blades, a sort of ritualistic strive for perfection of balance and control. Once his daily ritual is completed, he spends a few minutes cleaning and maintaining his blades, before finishing dressing, and proceeding down stairs for breakfast. "Bacon! splendid! today shall be a good day!" he exclaims before a mirror catches his eye, and he proceeds to check his facial hair making sure it its perfectly trimmed.

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Bacon may well be delicious, but Sausage is much more substantial. Thank Melora for the bounty she brings to us this morning." Amaryllis comes down after Marrazo yawning.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Magllea slinks down the stairs and swivels into one of the empty seats. "The food is good, but I'm hungry for adventure, if you'll excuse the hyperbole, " she announces as she takes a large bite out of the the pile of meats in front of her.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Quite right, qiute right!" exclaims Marazzo, " As nice as this Inn is it would be nice to get out in the fresh air and get a bit of exercise today." at the mention of the Inn he makes a broad sweeping gesture with his fork at groups surroundings.

Woogity on

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm not sure what to post here... my plan was that you guys would decide what to do here... either investigate one of the leads you got from the wizard, the cleric, or the merchant, or go find the dragon's lair.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    After devouring a number of processed meats, Magllea wipes her mouth daintily and addresses the group. "I think the proximity of the dragon's lair to Stonebrook is too coincidental to dismiss out of hand. Perhaps we should try to find it and at least rule it out as the cause of the mud men."

"Besides," she adds, grinning a toothy smile, "we can find a dragon!"

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "A dragon perhaps, but adventure most definitely. I'm with Magllea on this one." Amaryllis chimes in between bites.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Well, it couldn't hurt to investigate the dragon's lair. We really aren't equipped for dragon slaying, though, so let's not run in throwing lightning at the thing and pissing it off," Nall says, with a sideways glance towards the Gnoll. "It is a scouting mission, and not an assault mission, ok?"

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The fur on the back of Magllea's bristles as Nall speaks. She takes a sip of her tea and turns to the drow, her expression one of utter distaste. "I've done nothing to you to earn these sort of snide remarks, Nall. Is it because I'm a gnoll, bloodthirsty and savage and ever-rushing towards battle? Or is it because I'm a wizard? You of all people should be a bit more...understanding...of being an outsider in the current state of of affairs. "

The gnoll doesn't raise her voice, but it's not hard to tell she's trying to maintain her composure, especially around relative strangers.

"I'd like to get the air cleared before we're put into the position of counting on one another to save the other's life, if that's all right with you."

cytorak on