As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 11-11-09: Devour Will

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    In news related to Dr. Strange, I just saw that Doctor Voodoo only sold 23k for its first issue. Total bummer.

Again, I wish Marvel would just once take a chance and try selling a book like Agents of Atlas, The Order, or Doctor Voodoo through some kind of direct download, just to see how it'd do. Because it's not like the direct market's doing them any favors.

Munch on
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't understand why DC and Marvel try releasing books where they've barely developed or generated interest in the title's characters at all beforehand and then act surprised when they don't succeed.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    23k for a Doctor Voodoo book isn't too bad, all things considered. The trick seems to be figuring out a way to sell a book to the 1500-2000 comic book retailers, not the 100k+ comic readers.

I'm guessing Doctor Voodoo gets at least 12 issues to find its level and/or build up Remender for a different title.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    23,000 for steady sales isn't terrible, but 23,000 for a first issue is pretty bad when you consider that most titles have drop-offs at the second issue, third issue, and end of the first arc.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    MisterBibsMisterBibs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Who would win, Batman or Deadpool, if both had time to plan?

Maybe its because I don't know a lot about Deadpool, but from what I know, I have this feeling Deadpool would because he's so out of left field a lot of the time.

MisterBibs on

kolforumsigpa.gif
    Furu wrote:
    I like that Atrocitus genuinely wants to help save the universe...In the angriest manner possible.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Batman deals with crazy people all the time.

Being crazy is pretty much the only thing all of his villains do.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That moment in Deadpool where Wolverine squashes into Domino's ass is pretty funny. The guy doesn't even make a joke, or seem in any way aware that he just got hot ass in his face. Just asks her what's going on. I like that interpretation of Wolverine.

Also, X-Man's back. I guess it's cooler if you've ever read a comic that he's been in. Bleh.

Solar on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Supergod was actually really neat and interesting. Then again No Hero started out that way too.

Still, I liked it.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, R.E.B.E.L.S. is sweet.

Oh man! New Strange! Yesss

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Daredevil:

Daredevil with a pack of ninjas behind him giving the order to "Take 'em all" is the scariest thing ever. I would not want to be those cops or those dealers.

This was my moment of the week.

I grabbed more comics than I expected and had a lot of great little moments as I was reading last night, but the last page of Daredevil was like, COMMENCE BRICK SHITTING: NOW.

Deadpool was funny though, and I liked him in Spider-man as well. I read those two back-to-back and I really liked the art in Spider-man -- some of the moments like when Deadpool goes through the chain link fence had an almost old school Mad Magazine vibe. I just wish they would drop the clunky one-liners -- throwaway jokes about Youtube and celbutantes or dumb internet stuff like that are always stale before the book hits the printers. On the other hand, "Didn't you read the monologue? I don't like you in that way," are chuckle-worthy.

X-Force: I think I'm pretty much just a Clayton Crain fanboy at this point.

I grabbed Dark X-Men which seemed decent, but I guess since
    X-Man and AoA
    all happened right after I stopped reading comics back when, so the big reveal didn't kick my ass.

Anyway yeah, Dare fuckin' Devil is going Richter right now.

desc on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Speaking of Deadpool, the "Yo' Mamma" Joke-off with Spider-man was pretty awesome.

"YO SPIDEY! YOU JUST GONNA TAKE THAT?!"

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Deadpool #17 was again a good issue, with a bizarre play on a throw away line of dialogue:
    So Domino stops DP form killing Mercury's dad, and drugs him and ties him up in a motel for a bit, and we get this line:

dp17a.jpg

But DP is still going after Mr. Mercury, who is guarded by bonehead HAMMER agents in the SF subway. Wolverine and Domino try to get to Mr. Mercury before DP continues his hunt:

dp17b.jpg

dp17c.jpg

I keep seeing scans from this series from you guys, I really need to start picking up the trades. Oh well, more post-christmas stuff...

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    MOTW: The cover to Amazing Spider-Man.

Biggest disappointment of the week? The entire Call of Duty comic.

Hensler on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Ok what the fuck, Spider-Man is MOTW? HOW!? OH wait, its because Deadpool is in it. It also has very little of his roomate, no MJ or relationship bullshit, and very little of his pauper act whiny motherfucking pain in the ass bullshit. Art could do with a touch up though.

"Your mothers so fat, Hank Pym had to beat her up in the back of a Quinjet"
    "Oooooh too soon man, too soon"

Scans to follow.
    56308699.jpg
    61518231.jpg
    26083687.jpg
    55269861.jpg
    48084422.jpg
    54111879.jpg

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ok what the fuck, Spider-Man is MOTW? HOW!? OH wait, its because Deadpool is in it. It also has very little of his roomate, no MJ or relationship bullshit, and very little of his pauper act whiny motherfucking pain in the ass bullshit. Art could do with a touch up though.

"Your mothers so fat, Hank Pym had to beat her up in the back of a Quinjet"
    "Oooooh too soon man, too soon"

Scans to follow.
    56308699.jpg
    61518231.jpg
    26083687.jpg
    55269861.jpg
    48084422.jpg
    54111879.jpg

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CarbonRodCarbonRod Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tomasi you bastard! I'm nearly crying at work and can't say why or I'll get in shit for being one the internet :(

CarbonRod on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That deadpool page was glorious.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2009
    this week's ASM was like the first I've read of Deadpool other than online scans and uh

he's super really annoying and not in a good way

Like I been thinking lately "oh maybe I should give Deadpool a shot instead of just hating" and nope I still can't stand him

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm beginning to think that Deadpool's not for me. Like, everyone's like "HAHHA HE'S TALKING ABOUT A MONOLOGUE!!!!" and it isn't really funny to me.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    VermisVermis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Hard to choose between that and the Domino/chicken moment. I lawled at both.

Vermis on
    rulksig.jpg
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    you..

Angry on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm beginning to think that Deadpool's not for me. Like, everyone's like "HAHHA HE'S TALKING ABOUT A MONOLOGUE!!!!" and it isn't really funny to me.

Well no one expects you to love him but to some of us hes a fun character to have around.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I do think that Marvel is on the verge of oversaturing Deadpool, and can totally see why people don't like him. I think it takes a good writer to not go overboard with his fourth wall or wacky persona stchtick. Gail Simone probably did it best.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2009
    I think my problem with him is that (at least in that issue), he had no personality. He was just there for the author to write nonsense

And I love what I've read of Joe Kelly's other stuff (except for Supergirl)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That was not a well written Deadpool from the scans I read

I love Deadpool and even I was annoyed by those Spider-Man scans

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    I think my problem with him is that (at least in that issue), he had no personality. He was just there for the author to write nonsense

And I love what I've read of Joe Kelly's other stuff (except for Supergirl)

Ironically, Joe Kelly wrote the first 36 issues (I think) of Deadpool's first monthly series, which was awesome, but nobody's read it. Or heard of it. There wasn't as much internal monologuing and what there was was a lot funnier, and he gave Deadpool a lot more depth beyond just the wacky hijinks. Although I did think there were some very funny moments in SM 611 and DP 17 this week.

Also Sword was good stuff, even though Beast looks like a blue goat.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I thought Deadpool's personality, both the more subtle and overt parts of him, came through pretty well in ASM. Yeah, most of the times he's just being Bugs Bunny, mouthing off to the reader, and plaguing the story's straight man. That's really a good 85% of who Wade is.

But there's also the part at the beginning of the issue where he hires a bunch of women to dress up as superheroines and supervillainesses, the moment where he saves some civilians (from an incident he caused), and that line he throws at Spidey about being a big fan of him. Those really hint at the other 15% of Deadpool's personality, the guy who really respects and tries to emulate other heroes, and really, really craves some kind of validation and admiration.

I also think he plays incredibly well off Spidey. Peter's the guy who everyone else is constantly looking at and saying, "Jesus Christ, could you please take this seriously, stop joking around, and shut the Hell up?" To have him be on the other side of that is always entertaining.

But then, I am quite a fan of Deadpool, so I'm willing to excuse and rationalize some aspects of him.

Munch on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Munch, we like this.

I think the best thing about Kelly's Deadpool run that has sort of fallen by the wayside is the supporting cast. Weasel has appeared a bunch of times, as did T-Ray, and I seem to recall Blind Al showing up once in recent memory, but I really loved it when they were a regular part of Deadpool's surroundings. Whenever Wade's hanging out with Agent X and co., I'm pretty happy.

That being said, the best thing about Kelly's Deadpool run (which is still mentioned, although not emphasized as much I think) was certainly Wade's desire to be better than he is, to be more of a hero.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I thoroughly enjoyed ASM #611. And I chuckled at " -- Geoff Johns, FORMER AVENGERS WRITER".

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    the geoff johns stuff I liked yes

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    They really referenced Johns in a Marvel book? Wow, I guess they aren't that upset with Blackest Night defeating all Marvel titles in sales, well, retailer sales at least.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, I LOL'ed.

Punisher Max #1.
    Backstory: This is the asshole who mouthed off to Fisk's boss at the meeting in the preview. Fisk shows him who's boss by popping his eyes out of his fucking skull. Said asshole's co-bodyguards/goons take him out to get him help (actually to kill him). Frank pops them while he freaks out and is trying to put his eyeballs back into their sockets.
    30crn2c.jpg

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    They really referenced Johns in a Marvel book? Wow, I guess they aren't that upset with Blackest Night defeating all Marvel titles in sales, well, retailer sales at least.

They not only reference Jones which was kind of 0_o and makes me wonder if something was up with that but they also had Deadpool mention blackest night symbols.

Just read the scans up there and you'll see it.

You really do NOT see that kind of reference to the competition much at all, especially when said big event is currently happening.

Cade on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's not that big of a deal. People aren't usually like, "Blackest Night? I'm-a-go-buy-that!" just because of a joke-reference in a book

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Especially if they're Marvel zombies but still you don't see direct name drops that by the competition either at all so it's kind of a eye catching moment non the less.

Cade on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I wonder if Johns had any actual involvement in the gag, or at least Joe Kelly contacted him to make sure it was OK.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, I LOL'ed.

Punisher Max #1.
    Backstory: This is the asshole who mouthed off to Fisk's boss at the meeting in the preview. Fisk shows him who's boss by popping his eyes out of his fucking skull. Said asshole's co-bodyguards/goons take him out to get him help (actually to kill him). Frank pops them while he freaks out and is trying to put his eyeballs back into their sockets.
    30crn2c.jpg

Oh, I can't believe I forgot about that. The popping moment caught me off guard when I saw it.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    VermisVermis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Angry wrote: »
    you..

I know Deadpool's a gimmick and three current titles is crazy, let alone unsustainable, but in the last few years the MU seems to have become so turgid and self-important that I welcome anything that'll poke fun and have fun.

Vermis on
    rulksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I just feel that all this numbering and "second printing" jokes about the comics industry is just further cementing Deadpool as an Ambush Bug wannabe

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Deadpool's been breaking the fourth wall for over a decade now, so I think it's too late to really criticize him for that. It's become an integral part of the character. Plus, his most recent appearances have been both funnier and more coherent than Ambush Bug's.

And I say this as a big fan of Irwin Schwab.

Munch on