As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Hookup: Comics Deals, Sales, Giveaways, Etc.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's not just a matter of power, but chemistry. Luthor, Mxy, Braniac don't just fight Superman because he stands in their way, but because they literally cannot co-exist with him. There is a fundamental, philosophical opposition beyond the basic conflict of right and wrong, and that makes the battles compelling.

But then you have dudes like Toyman who have no personal reason to fight Superman, or dudes like Parasite and Metallo who seem to fight Superman only because they can.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Toyman definitely had more of a Batman villain vibe, what with the creepy doll head and psychosis.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    But then you have dudes like Toyman who have no personal reason to fight Superman, or dudes like Parasite and Metallo who seem to fight Superman only because they can.

I'd say that Parasite and Metallo of the better villains that Superman faced on the series, actually. Parasite is good when they play up his addiction to power and Superman being the most powerful figure in the DCUO that is still within reach of someone like Parasite. I enjoyed the Action Comics story where Parasite fed off of Superman so much that he thought he WAS Superman. And Mentallo is a kryptonite powered villain - yeah, he's a gimmick villain like Doomsday, but they exist for storylines where the hero needs to be the weaker of the two.

But I agree that the episodes with villains like Livewire, Intergang, and Volcana were the weakest of the bunch, and the massive scope of the Darkseid episodes made them the best.

Hensler on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    look Superman: TAS gave us Jack Kirby: Action Hero

that is all I could ever ask for

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i liked that episode with the death of Clark Kent

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I still get a little choked up at this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ch2fiGzshQ&feature=related

Munch on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Cool fact about that scene:
    Wikipedia wrote:

"Apokolips...Now! Part II" was later altered from its original airing on 7 February 1998. Originally the Dan Turpin funeral at the episode's end was a true homage to late New Gods creator Jack Kirby and featured several of his comic creations as attendees to the funeral including Nick Fury, Fantastic Four, Big Barda, Scott Free, Orion and others, alongside Kirby's friends and fans Mark Evanier, Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, Alex Ross, his father Norman Ross and Stan Lee. These characters and persons were later removed and the scene pacing was re-edited for subsequent airings and its DVD release on Superman: TAS Volume 3 Disc 3. The original sketches for this scene can be found at Michael Eury's book The Krypton Companion book published by TwoMorrow's Publishing. Neither DC nor Warner ever commented on the decision to alter this particular scene, but copyright issues regarding the use of the likenesses of Marvel Comics characters might justify the deletion.

Hensler on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The only episode of Superman: TAS I have seen was 'Knight Time', but it seemed to be competent enough (disclaimer: I've never seen Batman: TAS either).

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You've never seen more than one episode of Superman: TAS or Batman: TAS?

What is wrong with you?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm a deprived child?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Depraved, more like.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wildcat wrote: »
    I'm a deprived child?

Silly Wildcat, cartoons are not made for children, they are made specifically with only the adult fan base in mind - check any comic book message board or reviews for proof.

Hensler on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just saw this. Apparently, Skottie Young is selling a digital version of "The Adventures of Bernard the World Destroyer" for $2, and he reduced the price of the print version from $15 to $10. I don't know anything about that comic, but I know Skottie Young's art. Consequently, I'm probably going to pick it up.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think I'll buy that just to encourage him to do more digital distribution.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Batman Beyond Seasons 1, 2, and 3 are 46-67% off.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    no no no I promised myself I wouldn't buy anything off of Amazon for a month

why are you doing this to me, Munch

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I only hit you 'cause I care about you, baby.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Has anybody pointed out that you can download Greg Pak's Vision Machine for free? Great book, greater price: http://www.visionmachine.net/download/

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    yeah, I got it off of Comixology but I haven't read it yet

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Amazon gift card $10 for $20 - get one and basically get a free trade.

https://livingsocial.com/deals/21336?ref=personalized-link-box-3741844&rpi=3741844

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Amazon gift card $10 for $20 - get one and basically get a free trade.

https://livingsocial.com/deals/21336?ref=personalized-link-box-3741844&rpi=3741844

Have you gotten a confirmation e-mail yet?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I did, it may have gone to your spam. I've bought from them before though for bowling certificates, not worried about getting it. I think after the deal expires they send out confirmations.

edit: I just looked, it took about 5-6 hours for me to get the confirmation - I purchased last night right before I posted and received a confirmation at 5:58am this morning EST.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ah, thanks for the heads up. Glad to hear you've bought from them before too.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I've mentioned Amazon's perpetual 4-for-3 deal before, and they seem to have added some things to it. Notably, Chew Vol. 1 is available, as if you needed more incentive to buy it.

Here are links to the list sorted by publisher. There are, of course, way more items available than contained on these lists.

DC
    Marvel
    Dark Horse

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    GroupOn, another one of those daily deal sites, is giving $20 credit at Barnes & Nobles at the cost of $10.

Only one per customer, unfortunately, but valid online and at the stores themselves.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, saw that today, but I'm trying to find something good to use it for.

EDIT: Is Deadpool: Wade Wilson's War any good? It's $9 on pre-order.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Jeeves & Wooster, a Monty Python set, and The Prisoner (on Blu-Ray) are all already 50% off, but I don't want any of those things particularly badly.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Damn, didn't realize B&N did 3rd party sales as well. I might have to go ahead and hook up this Groupon.

Oh wait, Groupon is getting hammered right now. I imagine the B&N deal has something to do with it.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Wade Wilson's War was pretty shitty, from what I understand. It's an alternate universe version of the character with less of a sense of humor and a bit more violence.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Newegg has LEGO Batman w/Batman Animated Series: Tales of the Dark Knight DVD for $9.99 free shipping for PS3/Wii/360. LEGO Batman is fun as hell and the DVD I don't know about.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    One year subscription to Batman & Robin for $11 - you should be reading this anway

B&R $11

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Please allow 10-14 weeks for your first issue to arrive!"

I don't think even in the 80's it took that long for subscriptions.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That's pretty ridiculous...but for $11, I'd buy it.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, the thing is with the deal sites, they gather how many people actually subscribe for it and then probably renegotiate their cut. I've done this before with magazines and not had an issue with getting them. Besides, in 10-14 weeks it would be a nice surprise.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Do they often do this with singles? Because I'd go back to buying singles if I could get deals like that.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    This is the only one I've seen, some comments on the board said they did it with Superman/Batman last year but to be 100% honest I don't know. Maybe if they see the demand for this they will do more deals in the future. Marvel's subscription prices aren't bad but I still like going to the store, and I'm a weird demographic I guess. I like saving money, but there's something I still enjoy about going to the store.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Greg Pak is such a cool guy

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I met him a month or so ago, he really is an awesome dude.

cardboard delusions on