As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii Hardware] Can the Wii remain viable?

• Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Samphis wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    The problem with the Wii hardware is the same as the GameCube's hardware.

This is not true. It is much faster, has more RAM and a more robust graphics card.

It has relatively similar architecture, but that's like saying that a Pentium I PC with a Voodoo card is the same hardware as a Pentium III with a Geforce 4.

I think you're vastly over exaggerating the differences between them. It's what, a 500Mhz GC processor versus a 730Mhz Wii processor.

Hardly Pentium I to Pentium III scale. I don't think the Graphics Cards are that far apart either.

Rook on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rook wrote:
    Samphis wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:

This is not true. It is much faster, has more RAM and a more robust graphics card.

It has relatively similar architecture, but that's like saying that a Pentium I PC with a Voodoo card is the same hardware as a Pentium III with a Geforce 4.

I think you're vastly over exaggerating the differences between them. It's what, a 500Mhz GC processor versus a 730Mhz Wii processor.

Hardly Pentium I to Pentium III scale. I don't think the Graphics Cards are that far apart either.

Clockspeed means shit in the CPU world of today. Going from the GC CPU to the Wii CPU may have added only 230Mhz, but if the architecture of the processor was changed, that 230Mhz difference could essentially be doubled or maybe even tripled.

Veevee on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If I could change something about the Wii, it would be to add HD resolution support without changing the graphics card. The card in there from most specs I've heard, could drive at least 720p. Not all that well, mind you, but it could use 720p (hell, maybe even 1080p with slight modifications) for menus, text, 2D games (maybe), the web browser, etc. I'm not a graphics whore by any stretch but I have an HDTV and the web browser is near unusable at 480p.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    After a weekend of watching HD shit at my brother's house, I've come to the conclusion that I could still care less about HDTV. In fact, his HDTV makes SD channels look like shit IMO. Even the HD channels don't really awe me though.

However, I do think that the higher resolution textures put out by the 360 look fantastic on my little old SD set. From what I've seen, the Wii hasn't really seen those texture improvements yet, which is weird considering its got the extra memory in there. I'm really hoping devs step up to use it soon. Luckily, I can't even get my grubby hands on a Wii yet because they're sold out everywhere, so I've got no worries right now.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    GinoGino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well I have a 360 and a Wii and I've barely touched my 360 sense november 19th. There is just to much fun to be had with the Wii.

Wii games may be ugly but my wife sure as hell doesn't notice.

Gino on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nintendo came out with this strategy at just the right time, since we're reaching the era of diminishing returns. Side by side, 360 and PS3 games look better than the Wii's. But not better to the ZOMG AWSME extent you got comparing, say, the PS and PS2. Most people won't care... my non-gaming friends didn't see any difference in the visuals of PS2 vs. Xbox games, even though graphics tarts saw a HUGE difference.

I do wish the Wii was a little more powerful, but most of the current games look good.

Except Far Cry Wii. Blergh.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Samphis wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:

Quick, read it again more carefully and edit your post. :wink:

It's nice to see that someone actually read my post.
    The problem with the Wii hardware is the same as the GameCube's hardware - companies rarely utilize all its neat tricks to produce the best looking content possible.

Arguably, the reason behind that with the 'Cube was market share, the overwhelming success of the PS2 and the huge amount of shoddy ports. If the Wii can sustain high sales and give developers a reason to polish their games (a la the DS), then the hardware will be viable - it won't be the best, but it will be fully utilized and that will be good enough.

Anyway, I'm suspicious of someone speaking with any authority about Nintendo's Wii hardware that isn't Nintendo itself, since specifications haven't been given yet.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm kind of hoping the Wii isn't all that graphically powerful, because I'm kind of tired of the OMGBLOOM going on with the 360.

I'd like me some nice old school brightly colored sprites. Solid blocks of color are pleasing to look at when it's done with some artistic talent, and I think Nintendo is better positioned than anyone to deliver that kind of content.

I'm not saying I want everything cel shaded, but I don't want everything bloomed and bump mapped to hell and back either.

xzzy on
  • Options
    GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think we'll start getting very clean, good visuals soon enough. Like, in the next year. They're never going to be 360-quality, but if they look clean and word of mouth keeps spreading about the wii, then the wiimote itself should be able to carry the wii far enough.

An emphasis on clean, though. As in, like SMG or MP3; not amazing poly-counts or anything, but pleasing to look at simply because it knows what it can do with the hardware, and does it well and efficiently. There's something similar with the PS2, actually. Take FFXII or okami, for instance. Could they have looked better on an xbox or gamecube? Yes, but they still look great because they harness the power of the system correctly, be it limited.

GimeC on
  • Options
    NswyersNswyers Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Samphis wrote:
    Live Arcade and VC are like my "kid in candy-store" situation, but a limit of 256 MB available to the user pretty much means that we won't be seeing very much new content or add-ons. Someone mentioned new dungeons for Zelda on the Wii Shop, but it's not likely.

Take back your Wii. Someone stole half your onboard memory.

Nswyers on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nswyers wrote:
    Samphis wrote:
    Live Arcade and VC are like my "kid in candy-store" situation, but a limit of 256 MB available to the user pretty much means that we won't be seeing very much new content or add-ons. Someone mentioned new dungeons for Zelda on the Wii Shop, but it's not likely.

Nope. The user only has access to 256 MB for game saves and downloads. The other 256 is reserved for system use, like the UI, the Weather and news channels, etc.

Note that the browser takes up around 32 MB before even counting the cache. Your Wii's memory isn't nearly as big as you'd like to think. I've burned through a quarter of mine already with the browser and six VC games.

Samphis on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The highly successful game developers know that there exists a balance between graphical superiority and captivating gameplay.

On one side of the extreme, you have a developer that spends most of its budget on artists, models, textures, shaders, etc. The game looks phenominal, but it may be devoid of actual style and life. (Everquest 2 anyone?). How long does it take before that fancy polish wears thin and you're stuck with an expensive frisbee?

On the other side, you have a developer who spends most of its budget on gameplay development and comes up with a brilliant idea; unfortunately, the execution lacks something. Whether it's nice graphics, storyline, or something else, the game doesn't take off.

There needs to be a balance between the two. I think the Wii has the hardware to support a game that exists within the confines of that fine line. Not to say that the competing console can't also support that very same software, but the Wii certainly isn't left out. Not to mention the Wii's remote.

The Wii: if it hasn't already broken your heart, maybe it'll go for your TV.

Nswyers on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's looking, to me, like Nintendo is going to start pulling a Japanese "hit a lot of singles instead of a few home runs" style product support. Incremental, almost yearly, updates to the hardware that retains the same core functionality, while adding new features that are now cheap enough to include and remain at profit levels. Similar to what they did with the DS. They are already planning the DVD playing model. I wonder if there *will* be a WiiHD sometime in the next few years (when market penetration gets there, or components get cheap enough) that just has a better graphics chip set to upsample its output (and, of course, with an update for the menus and and channels to work in real HD). Only problem being that the amount of RAM would have to be increased for the better texturing, which would make for non backwards compatible games. Though, they did the same thing with the memory pack for the 64.

We'll see.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Samphis wrote:
    Nswyers wrote:
    Samphis wrote:

Nope. The user only has access to 256 MB. The other 256 is reserved for system use.

Reaaaaally? Interesting.

Well, is it entirely out of the realm of possibility that Nintendo could release external harddrive support? Those USB ports on the back have to be used for something.

Nswyers on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jonxp wrote:
    It's looking, to me, like Nintendo is going to start pulling a Japanese "hit a lot of singles instead of a few home runs" style product support. Incremental, almost yearly, updates to the hardware that retains the same core functionality, while adding new features that are now cheap enough to include and remain at profit levels. Similar to what they did with the DS. They are already planning the DVD playing model. I wonder if there *will* be a WiiHD sometime in the next few years (when market penetration gets there, or components get cheap enough) that just has a better graphics chip set to upsample its output (and, of course, with an update for the menus and and channels to work in real HD). Only problem being that the amount of RAM would have to be increased for the better texturing, which would make for non backwards compatible games. Though, they did the same thing with the memory pack for the 64.

We'll see.

They only way that the Wii is expandable, hardware wise would be via the SD slot or the USB ports. I don't think either have the bandwidth for a memory pack, but it'd be interesting to see it be done.

Samphis on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Nswyers wrote:
    Well, is it entirely out of the realm of possibility that Nintendo could release external harddrive support? Those USB ports on the back have to be used for something.

How about you buy a dirt cheap SD card and stick it in the slot on the front of the Wii?

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    xzzy wrote:
    Nswyers wrote:

How about you buy a dirt cheap SD card and stick it in the slot on the front of the Wii?

The Wii doesn't support running games from the SD slot, though. You'd have to constantly juggle saves between system memory and the SD card or delete and redownload if you want to use them. I'm sure they are considering this for a future update, but they don't want to leave a door open for running maverick code on the Wii.

Samphis on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jonxp wrote:
    Similar to what they did with the DS. They are already planning the DVD playing model.

I don't see those examples as similar.

The upgrade to the DS made the console much more portable, fun, and easy to use. Every DS owner I know bought DS Lite even though they already owned the DS Pudge.

Can you honestly tell me you're going to buy a Wii w/ DVD when it's released if you already have a Wii? I don't think there will be many people, not many at all. With a DVD player costing as little as $20 these days, it makes no sense. I think Nintendo is just looking to spice up the Wii for future Wii owners, and not for current Wii owners to buy a whole new console.

I also believe releasing an HD Wii would be a mistake. The games that the Wii will likely house don't really need HD in the sense that say, Gears of War, does.

The Wii stands for bringing gaming to the masses, especially those who are overwhelmed with the market's modern shift to fancy hardware and flashy features. It's not about attracting hardcore tech junkies who want the latest and greatest gadgetry--although it does attract them--what I'm saying is Nintendo's primary audience isn't concerned with HD and the like.

Nswyers on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    xzzy wrote:
    Nswyers wrote:

I've yet to see a 320gb SD card on the market, but clue me in if you come across one.

An external hard-drive opens the door for downloadable content outside of 10k NES or 2mb N64 games.

Nswyers on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Veevee wrote:
    Rook wrote:
    Samphis wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:

Clockspeed means shit in the CPU world of today. Going from the GC CPU to the Wii CPU may have added only 230Mhz, but if the architecture of the processor was changed, that 230Mhz difference could essentially be doubled or maybe even tripled.

Maybe, except people think the broadway is based pretty much on the same architecture as the gekko, a modified PowerPC750.

Even outside of that, it's not like it's a fancy dual core chip or anything which could really boost performance.

Rook on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    imbalanced wrote:
    I'm still waiting for somebody to mention, "Sony/Microsoft to buy Nintendo in 5 years," or the always popular "Nintendo should go software-only like Sega!"

Anybody? Aaaaanybody??

I used to be on the software only bandwagon. I am so glad that never happened, because then I wouldn't have a Wii, and would never know the joy of waggle.
    Ditto. For about a month there, when their positions solidified last gen, and Nintendo wound up third place, I thought it wouldn't be so bad to have the next Zelda on my Xbox. Thankfully, that didn't last long.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2007
    Rook wrote:
    Veevee wrote:
    Rook wrote:
    Samphis wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:

Maybe, except people think the broadway is based pretty much on the same architecture as the gekko, a modified PowerPC750.

Even outside of that, it's not like it's a fancy dual core chip or anything which could really boost performance.
    i agree that the cube/wii difference is not as dramatic as lots of people perhaps assume

there are developers (possibly the farcry developers?) that said the wii hardware's pixel-shaders are still not as robust as the original xbox's

everything seems to point towards a modest clockspeed hike and little more, but, when you're talking about a console that can put out resident evil 4, is it even important? even ps2 managed MGS3

bongi on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Nswyers wrote:
    jonxp wrote:
    Similar to what they did with the DS. They are already planning the DVD playing model.

The upgrade to the DS made the console much more portable, fun, and easy to use. Every DS owner I know bought DS Lite even though they already owned the DS Pudge.

Can you honestly tell me you're going to buy a Wii w/ DVD when it's released if you already have a Wii? I don't think there will be many people, not many at all. With a DVD player costing as little as $20 these days, it makes no sense. I think Nintendo is just looking to spice up the Wii for future Wii owners, and not for current Wii owners to buy a whole new console.

I also believe releasing an HD Wii would be a mistake. The games that the Wii will likely house don't really need HD in the sense that say, Gears of War, does.

The Wii stands for bringing gaming to the masses, especially those who are overwhelmed with the market's modern shift to fancy hardware and flashy features. It's not about attracting hardcore tech junkies who want the latest and greatest gadgetry--although it does attract them--what I'm saying is Nintendo's primary audience isn't concerned with HD and the like.

I didn't explain my point enough...a common thing that happens in Japan is for electronics manufacturers to steadily come out with a better version of their product year after year...not to make people repurchase it, but to make it so that when a person DOES buy one they have the latest in technology in it.

So adding a DVD player, more RAM, a better card, etc. in small updates as we go down the road, as long as it doesn't break backwards compatibility (it just gives forward progress) would be feasible.

jonxp on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jonxp wrote:
    more RAM, a better card, etc. in small updates as we go down the road, as long as it doesn't break backwards compatibility (it just gives forward progress) would be feasible.

As long as the updates don't prohibit prior console owners from playing newer games. The ram for the N64 was an example. Owners didn't have to buy a new system with more ram, just the ram.

Nswyers on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Nswyers wrote:
    jonxp wrote:
    more RAM, a better card, etc. in small updates as we go down the road, as long as it doesn't break backwards compatibility (it just gives forward progress) would be feasible.

As long as the updates don't prohibit prior console owners from playing newer games. The ram for the N64 was an example. Owners didn't have to buy a new system with more ram, just the ram.

The current Wii isn't really upgradeable, though, so it'd pretty much force early adopters to rebuy the systems. Granted, there is a price of being an early adopter, but it's never been that high. Has it?

[spoiler:844fe5c765]$599 US[/spoiler:844fe5c765]

Samphis on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Samphis wrote:
    Nswyers wrote:
    jonxp wrote:

The current Wii isn't really upgradeable, though, so it'd pretty much force early adopters to rebuy the systems. Granted, there is a price of being an early adopter, but it's never been that high. Has it?

$599

Could they do something like trading in old consoles, re-using the parts that are viable and giving early adopters a discount?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nswyers wrote:
    xzzy wrote:

I've yet to see a 320gb SD card on the market, but clue me in if you come across one.

An external hard-drive opens the door for downloadable content outside of 10k NES or 2mb N64 games.

Not to mention that external hard drives are a fuckload cheaper in terms of dollars-per-gig than SD cards.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    mcdermott wrote:
    Nswyers wrote:
    xzzy wrote:

Not to mention that external hard drives are a fuckload cheaper in terms of dollars-per-gig than SD cards.

I'd personally rather just have more flash memory, or at least the ability to use the 4 GB SD card that I already have. It wouldn't need more power or the need to keep the drive powered up all the time, since the Wii is on all the time.

The 360 has a 20 GB drive, with 13 or so available to the user. I have 41 Live arcade titles on it, and they only take up about 1.3 GB, along with a ton of DLC for Oblivion, Chromehounds, Kameo and saves for about 12 games.

Flash memory is enough for what the Wii needs to do, but it needs more standard memory than it has and more external memory than it can currently support. I was hoping to just get the one 4 GB card and be set for life on the system. It's a shame that it doesn't support that size (yet?).

Samphis on
  • Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    all i want is anti aliasing.

will the wii do this in the future? i mean as a rule.

i got component cables and was sad to see SOOOOOO MANY JAGGIES.

ps...i just figure this is a fine place to ask. after zelda and wii sports, i am not sure i will buy another system this generation. and this is after finding out about chrono--errr...i mean blue dragon.

Sul on
    Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jonxp wrote:
    Nswyers wrote:
    jonxp wrote:

I didn't explain my point enough...a common thing that happens in Japan is for electronics manufacturers to steadily come out with a better version of their product year after year...not to make people repurchase it, but to make it so that when a person DOES buy one they have the latest in technology in it.

So adding a DVD player, more RAM, a better card, etc. in small updates as we go down the road, as long as it doesn't break backwards compatibility (it just gives forward progress) would be feasible.
    I get what you're saying, but it also goes completely against Nintendo's philosophy this generation of appealing to the common man. A simple and intuitive interface isn't going to mean jack-shit if he's got four versions of the console to choose between, and I have faith that Nintendo knows this.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jonxp wrote:
    Nswyers wrote:
    jonxp wrote:

I get what you're saying, but it also goes completely against Nintendo's philosophy this generation of appealing to the common man. A simple and intuitive interface isn't going to mean jack-shit if he's got four versions of the console to choose between, and I have faith that Nintendo knows this.

Good point. The upcoming DVD version, however, is already a start to this. We'll have to see if they decide to do more redesigns down the road.

jonxp on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jonxp wrote:
    jonxp wrote:
    Nswyers wrote:
    jonxp wrote:

Good point. The upcoming DVD version, however, is already a start to this. We'll have to see if they decide to do more redesigns down the road.
    And honestly, I get a real feeling that the DVD version is just going to be a current version of the Panasonic Q, and I'd be suprised if it ever sees the light of day here in the states.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    The DVD version is currently Japan-only. Nintendo has said this themselves. Probably the same situation as the Q: it's being made by Panasonic and not Nintendo.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Someone asked for the original thread. If posting this is against the rules, please let me know. =/

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94832

Anyway, I've been looking at the specs between the GC and the Wii on Wikipedia. The Wii seems roughly twice as fast as the Gamecube. It's kind of like a Gamecube 1.9 or 1.8. Considering what could be done with Resident Evil 4, I have high hopes that we'll see some nice stuff in a year or so.

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Eteric wrote:
    Someone asked for the original thread. If posting this is against the rules, please let me know. =/

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94832

Anyway, I've been looking at the specs between the GC and the Wii on Wikipedia. The Wii seems roughly twice as fast as the Gamecube. It's kind of like a Gamecube 1.9 or 1.8. Considering what could be done with Resident Evil 4, I have high hopes that we'll see some nice stuff in a year or so.

Oh god... I had to stop reading when they started talking about "casual" vs "hardcore" gamers. Those terms have got to go.

Seriously... with the success of the NES, GameBoy, PS1, the PS2, and the DS ... why do people still think that graphical superiority matters? Each one was technically weaker than it's competitors, but came out on top.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    mausmalone wrote:
    Seriously... with the success of the NES, GameBoy, PS1, the PS2, and the DS ... why do people still think that graphical superiority matters? Each one was technically weaker than it's competitors, but came out on top.

Considering the reaction people had to the CoD3 comparisons, it does matter.. until a specific piece of hardware comes out with a "killer app".

Basically it seems like graphics get the foot in the door, but innovation builds up the fan base. In this day and age of multi-million development costs, publishers see more value with the foot in the door because it yields better short term results.

Thus, graphical superiority matters.

xzzy on
  • Options
    EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, but the CoD3 port was just lazy development. They pretty much just dropped the PS2 version onto the Wii.

They need to make new versions.

Considering that the Wii has twice the RAM, etc (even if it's still not much), how much do you guys think the graphics can improve? I was thinking it could go way beyond the X-Box due to the architexture, but I'm not so sure.

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Eteric wrote:
    Yeah, but the CoD3 port was just lazy development. They pretty much just dropped the PS2 version onto the Wii.

They need to make new versions.

Considering that the Wii has twice the RAM, etc (even if it's still not much), how much do you guys think the graphics can improve? I was thinking it could go way beyond the X-Box due to the architexture, but I'm not so sure.

The Wii has the stuff to make kickass awesome high-res 2D vector-based games, like Geometry Wars, Castle Crashers, Alien Hominid, Paper Mario, Wario Ware, etc. RAM is very important for this.

I'd love to see gaming move in this direction, especially since the control scheme seems best for 2D games. I think they also added some neato tools for Cel-shading a la Wind Waker.

This is what I want the Wii to do, graphically.

Samphis on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Eteric wrote:
    Considering that the Wii has twice the RAM, etc (even if it's still not much), how much do you guys think the graphics can improve?

They could fit either more textures, or the same amount of textures at a higher resolution. Since the Wii is limited to 480p, remaking everything with 2048 pixel textures would be overkill, but even on standard def a bump from 256 to 512 would be a big improvement.

It's entirely a function of how developers want to use the free space and how ambitious they get with detailing.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Flesh Into GearFlesh Into Gear Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm pissed that I'm paying 250 for it and it doesn't push out an HD resolution. That and I have to pay for cables right off the bat to make it look decent. I'm bitching at the PS3 for this too. Component cables should be standard, they barely cost anything to make.

I'm fine with PS2 caliber graphics. FF12 and SoTC are still impressive to me, its just as time goes on the gap is going to widen. The real question is how are 2nd and 3rd gen Wii games going to stack up against the 360 and PS3?

Flesh Into Gear on
    katamarisig4ee3f299bd4.png