As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Legend of Zelda

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Vray wrote: »
    So where in the Zelda time-line does Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland fall into again?

This was the very thing I was wondering, whether or not the Tingle spin-offs were canon to the Zelda series. Doesn't Tingle have a television?

Anyway, Tingle's Balloon Fight for the win.

As for Zelda, I'm sick of old Hyrule. I want a new game, a Zelda III if you will, featuring the Link from the first two LoZs on the NES and to be able to explore the greater expanses of Hyrule, rather than just the Death Mountain area again.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    After Twilight Princess + Phantom Hourglass, I got a little zelda'd out. Now with spirit tracks and pending news of the wii version, I'm getting into the mood again.

Also, Zelda2 gets way too much hate. In fact, I think it is much better then zelda1 or link to the past. The top-down zelda games are fun, but zelda2 always has me wanting to play it.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I like when people bitch about going back to the temple in Phantom Hourglass. Because they then must refrain from bitching about getting new items in a game that are used in gimmicky locations. Phantom Hourglass presented a dungeon that solved a big complaint people have about item-driven exploration games; you get new items, they can be used in places you've been before to expand the experience or go further. But no, apparently it's not good enough?

I have yet to catch someone complaining about both options while wishing for the other.

Henroid on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Seriously, having to use that scepter on those owl statues was goddamn offensive.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    I like this one. Zelda causes hallucinations and terror! Also, no one on the train gives a fuck about the trippin kid.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYh_TJ6GAZI

Huh, I really thought that was going to be for Spirit Tracks.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hmm. It occurs to me that the Original Legend of Zelda has never been remade I know at one point Capcom was going to but I mean Donkey Kong Country has had more remakes it's a bit pathetic.

Toss it on the DS, add a town or two ,some side quests, a er story, and more NPCs and I would buy that for 40 bucks.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    I like this one. Zelda causes hallucinations and terror! Also, no one on the train gives a fuck about the trippin kid.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYh_TJ6GAZI

Huh, I really thought that was going to be for Spirit Tracks.

There's a similar one for that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN8Ls77-NNY

Peewi on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Davoid wrote: »
    Links Awakening is the best Zelda

also, I really enjoy the original

Damn right. And the best 3D Zelda is Shadow of the Colossus.

I wish. I was saying in another thread awhile back that they should do a 3d game sort of like the original Zelda, like SoTC was like. Just open exploration and ingenuity. I wonder if I could find the quote...
    I would absolutely love a Zelda game that played more like the original

Shadow of the Colossus is probably the only thing that gives me the same vibe

Just exploration and the bare minimum of NPC's offering sparse, cryptic hints

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TomKROOK wrote: »
    Majora's Mask was definitely the deepest (story-wise) Zelda game I ever played. Hell, I didn't understand the plot untill I was fourteen, and my cousin gave it to me when I was 7.
    Really? It seemed pretty straightforward to me. Link's horse gets stolen by some kid in a mask, he chases him to an alternate dimension only to find out that it's doomed in three days by that same kid in a mask and so he decides to save it.

So... did I miss something somewhere?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, I remember that Lttp commercial. So awesome.
    And that Spirit Tracks one is pretty dang good too. Makes me somewhat wish I had cable again.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    TomKROOKTomKROOK Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TomKROOK wrote: »
    Majora's Mask was definitely the deepest (story-wise) Zelda game I ever played. Hell, I didn't understand the plot untill I was fourteen, and my cousin gave it to me when I was 7.
    Really? It seemed pretty straightforward to me. Link's horse gets stolen by some kid in a mask, he chases him to an alternate dimension only to find out that it's doomed in three days by that same kid in a mask and so he decides to save it.

So... did I miss something somewhere?

I got lost in the side quests while doing the game, and the plotline just seemed to extended randomly into oblivion.

Alien spaceships in a Zelda game, anyone?

TomKROOK on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I don't like the original simply because it seems like it was made for you to buy a strategy guide. There are areas, for example, where you have to do some random-ass things to find a new pathway or whatever, with no hint at all whatsoever as to where to do them.

I mean, really, who's going to go around to every little tree in the game and try using stuff on them to open up secret paths and such?

It just feels severely limited by its platform too. When I picked up Link to the Past, I just had the thought going through my head of "This is what they were trying to do."

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    NES Zelda felt better paced than the latest Zelda (TP). I can't quite tell why exactly but it felt a chore moving across the world. It didn't feel that bad when I was sailing around in Wind Waker.

I do hope they reinvent the wheel soon. I finally played OoT a few months ago and understood what people meant with TP (OoT 2.0).

EDIT: It might be nostalgia speaking, but I still think Link to the Past is the best. Followed closely by Link's Awakening and *gasp* Wind Waker.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I always got to certain point in all the Zelda games before I just threw it aside in boredom. I mean most games task the PC to save the world and usually it's you alone doing everything, but it isn't as obvious as it is in Zelda games. I just hate that. One guy doing everything.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There's a very legitimate reason to hate Tingle that has nothing to do with what an awkward, strange little man he is:

He's a fucking extortionist who wastes ungodly amounts of both your time and money, for one. Wind Wakerrrr

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The only bad thing about the Original Legend of Zelda is the fact that you can't fucking use the candle more than once per screen.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    WingoWingo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ...wait. Something's wrong here. We have the head-honchos themselves saying the Zelda formula basically hasn't changed at all? They say they want to change the usual overworld-dungeons structure? They... they even TALK about change?!

Okay, so it's settled, then. Steampunk-action-rpg-voiceacting-storydeveloping-unusual-puzzles-and-enemies-giant-sidequest-majoras-mask-Zelda.

I'd still like to see a Zelda IN THE FUTURE as one April hoax once suggested, though.

Wingo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Wingo wrote: »
    ...wait. Something's wrong here. We have the head-honchos themselves saying the Zelda formula basically hasn't changed at all? They say they want to change the usual overworld-dungeons structure? They... they even TALK about change?!

Okay, so it's settled, then. Steampunk-action-rpg-voiceacting-storydeveloping-unusual-puzzles-and-enemies-giant-sidequest-majoras-mask-Zelda.

I'd still like to see a Zelda IN THE FUTURE as one April hoax once suggested, though.

What are you talking about here exactly? Last I checked Nintendo hasn't said much about the next Zelda game except "Yeah it won't really be much different from Twilight Princess at all"

That doesn't sound like giving serious thought to change or shaking up the formula or what have you

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    Tooter-FishTooter-Fish Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm sure it's been said many times before, I really wanted to like PH but having to go back to that one tedious dungeon after every level killed it for me. That's the one Zelda game I did not finish (excluding CD-i of course).

Tooter-Fish on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I STOLE TINGLE'S SECRET WORDS

and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

langfor6 on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    There's a very legitimate reason to hate Tingle that has nothing to do with what an awkward, strange little man he is:

He's a fucking extortionist who wastes ungodly amounts of both your time and money, for one. Wind Wakerrrr

I didn't really mind. It meant that there were times where rupees were neccesary. I can't think of any times in other Zelda games where rupees were needed for stuff that wasn't optional.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

What are you talking about here exactly? Last I checked Nintendo hasn't said much about the next Zelda game except "Yeah it won't really be much different from Twilight Princess at all"

That doesn't sound like giving serious thought to change or shaking up the formula or what have you

Aonuma sez, "It is something we used to talk about with Mr Miyamoto, and he and I agree that if we are following the same structure again and again, we might not be able to give long time Zelda fans a fresh surprise."

"So we have been trying something new in terms of the structure of the Wii version of the new Zelda game this time. I am really hopeful that people will be surprised with the changes we have implemented for this Wii version."

(Why it has been translated as "version" is beyond me, he was talking about the new Wii game)

! WARNING
    CHALLENGER APPROACHES

Miyamoto sez, "I don't think it's going to be radically different."

Oh, so?
    Well.
    Right.
    This is purely speculation; but I swear Miyamoto and the Zelda team are locked in a constant battle of scene-setting and game-play. There are so many hints that the games could have a grand story and a truely fantastic world, but that always seems to play second fiddle to the actual game.

The game's formula isn't about to change, but as we've seen with Spirit Tracks, story elements like steam power do creep in, so perhaps the Zelda team can present the same sort of game in a different light some how?

Oh, who am I kidding! It looks like its going to be Ocarina of Time 3. I can only hope for less drab scenery, I live in England and even now, in Winter, the countryside looks much brighter and greener.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Wind Waker is my favorite and I was all about the Triforce hunt.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

I didn't really mind. It meant that there were times where rupees were neccesary. I can't think of any times in other Zelda games where rupees were needed for stuff that wasn't optional.

Yes, but I can see where he's coming from, as you couldn't gain ruppees in any interesting ways. Unless I missed something you just sailed around killing bokoblins (I have no idea if that is correct, medium sized minions) and cutting grass, if you were lucky you were in a new area when you needed the cash.

Also:
    UnbreakableVow, you lie to me.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

Yes, but I can see where he's coming from, as you couldn't gain ruppees in any interesting ways. Unless I missed something you just sailed around killing bokoblins (I have no idea if that is correct, medium sized minions) and cutting grass, if you were lucky you were in a new area when you needed the cash.

Also:
    UnbreakableVow, you lie to me.

Pretty much this. It's not an issue of difficult, it's an issue of "hooray now I have to do mind numbing shit that artificially extends the length of the game. This is so fucking rewarding I could just kill myself!"

It stands out because I like the rest of the game so much and then this. Ugh.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Majora's Mask always seems to be one of my most favorite titles ever. I feel guilty putting it ahead of OoT some days.

What is wrong with me?!

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    How'd I lie to you?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If they added a harder difficulty mode to Wind Waker, I would be happy. I noticed with Twilight Princess the developers finally stopped dumbing the game down.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Aonuma sez, "It is something we used to talk about with Mr Miyamoto, and he and I agree that if we are following the same structure again and again, we might not be able to give long time Zelda fans a fresh surprise."

"So we have been trying something new in terms of the structure of the Wii version of the new Zelda game this time. I am really hopeful that people will be surprised with the changes we have implemented for this Wii version."

(Why it has been translated as "version" is beyond me, he was talking about the new Wii game)

! WARNING
    CHALLENGER APPROACHES

Miyamoto sez, "I don't think it's going to be radically different."

Oh, so?
    Well.
    Right.
    This is purely speculation; but I swear Miyamoto and the Zelda team are locked in a constant battle of scene-setting and game-play. There are so many hints that the games could have a grand story and a truely fantastic world, but that always seems to play second fiddle to the actual game.

The game's formula isn't about to change, but as we've seen with Spirit Tracks, story elements like steam power do creep in, so perhaps the Zelda team can present the same sort of game in a different light some how?

Oh, who am I kidding! It looks like its going to be Ocarina of Time 3. I can only hope for less drab scenery, I live in England and even now, in Winter, the countryside looks much brighter and greener.

The third quote from this thread's second post:
    "We're making efforts regarding the total flow of the Zelda game," said Aonuma, "So far, the basic flow of the Zelda games is you're exploring a field, you go to a dungeon, you conquer it and return to the field. We're looking at altering that traditional flow. That's all I can share, and I can't say more until E3 next year."

I think that's what Endless_Serpents was referring to.

If they do decide to run with that idea, it is a pretty hefty shake to the Zelda formula. Doesn't mean it won't look, feel and play very similarly to TP/MM/OoT though; it'd just be more streamlined.

I get all warm and fuzzy when game developers change elements of popular franchises that were only implimented because of technical limitations and the nostalgia/tradition attached to them. This kind of crap clutters up half of the "features" which make up every genre invented before 2005.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    Majora's Mask always seems to be one of my most favorite titles ever. I feel guilty putting it ahead of OoT some days.

What is wrong with me?!

You feel guilt because lots of people put the first 3D Zelda above the rest and as a pack animal you instinctively feel bad about being an outsider, but take heart, I too think Majora's Mask is better that Ocarina of Time!

@UnbreakableVow, oh you know what I'ma talking about. Triforce hunt was fun to begin with, but come on...

@Krathoon, too late. Game already made. :(

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I still think a Zelda with an old warrior Link would be great. You could have Link fighting Gannon during three phases of his life; child, adult, and senior. During the final battle, he would be constantly flipping between them.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    @UnbreakableVow, oh you know what I'ma talking about. Triforce hunt was fun to begin with, but come on...

Come on what? I love the open-ended feel of the whole thing. Rather than just throwing you in a dungeon and saying "Get Item X. You will use Item X to get through the rest of the dungeon and the boss will be weak to Item X", they're instead like "there's a bunch of these treasures everywhere. Find the charts and get them deciphered, the rest is up to you."

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I don't like the original simply because it seems like it was made for you to buy a strategy guide. There are areas, for example, where you have to do some random-ass things to find a new pathway or whatever, with no hint at all whatsoever as to where to do them.

I mean, really, who's going to go around to every little tree in the game and try using stuff on them to open up secret paths and such?

It just feels severely limited by its platform too. When I picked up Link to the Past, I just had the thought going through my head of "This is what they were trying to do."
    To be fair, the original Legend of Zelda did provide hints for said random-ass behavior. The problem is that they were well-hidden and often cryptic.

For example, somewhere under an armos on the overworld screen is an old man who tells you, "Secret is in the tree at the dead end". That's (presumably) supposed to hint at the location of level 8, which is the one you uncover by burning a random tree.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've said this before in previous threads, but I really think the key to a good Zelda game is the exploration. It needs to give people the opportunity to look around and search, and it needs to give good rewards for doing this, not just the usual boring rupees or heart pieces or bag upgrades.

One of the key elements that made LttP so good, and my personal favorite of the series, is all the neat stuff you found on your own by exploring, instead of getting it at the bottom of a dungeon or as part of a story mandated quest:
    Pegasus Boots
    Ice Rod
    3 medallions
    4 bottles
    2 Sword Upgrades
    Magical Boomerang
    Magical Shield
    Magic Dust
    Shovel
    Flute
    Silver Arrows
    Bombs
    Super Bomb
    Bug-Catching Net
    Book of Mudora
    The Good Bee
    Staff of Byrna
    Magic Cape
    Flippers

When I played Zelda games in my youth, I absolutely loved finding a secret cave or reaching a new area, because there could be anything waiting for me. I want this series to give me that feeling again.

Cantide on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The quote about changing the game formula really grabs at my curiosity. I remember before TP came out there was talk about it being the last Zelda game of its type (off-handedly said by Nintendo in interviews that year). It could be better served with a new kind of gameplay pace or involvement.

I was musing to myself the other day about how cool it'd be for a Zelda game to be played in a sort of Oblivion / Morrowind / Fallout 3 kind of way.

Henroid on
  • Options
    KysennaKysenna Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

It was the NES era though... if you wanted to find everything, you absolutely burned every bush, bombed every wall, pushed every stone, etc. Then when you found something cool, you told everyone else about it at recess. :) The game came with a little sealed pamphlet full of hints, but until Nintendo Power showed up a year or two later, I don't remember seeing anything that resembled a strategy guide. Its difficulty was just a product of its time.

Also, thinking of LttP, does anyone remember this commercial? It was the first time I saw the game in action, and I loved it. (And it sounds like Tony Jay is the narrator <3 )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mVmFq4sc4k&feature=PlayList&p=0FF6EBDA2CB2C9A8&index=11

Kysenna on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have a confession; I've not played any Zelda games pre-Wind Waker. What's the best (legal) way to play them? I have a Wii but can't connect it to the internet as I am at university. Should I try and buy the old consoles or is there some other way?

pots+pans on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You don't know anyone who has an Internet connection you can use?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cantide wrote: »
    I've said this before in previous threads, but I really think the key to a good Zelda game is the exploration. It needs to give people the opportunity to look around and search, and it needs to give good rewards for doing this, not just the usual boring rupees or heart pieces or bag upgrades.[\QUOTE]

Hell yes, I remember those days, being able to find new cool stuff is the cornerstone to exploring. I was so dissapointed when the caves in TP had nothing special in them.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    pots+pans wrote: »
    I have a confession; I've not played any Zelda games pre-Wind Waker. What's the best (legal) way to play them? I have a Wii but can't connect it to the internet as I am at university. Should I try and buy the old consoles or is there some other way?

Look on eBay to see if anyone is selling the special release discs for the Gamecube. One is Ocarina of Time with the Master Quest, and another has Zelda 1 and 2 on it and I think Majora's Mask? (can't remember)

Henroid on