Options

The old Fox Animation thread: time for a new one.

• Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Monorail.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Montages are different from musical numbers.

The former is just a scene without dialogue set to music, like the scene from the Departed parody which uses a Dropkick Murphys song from the Departed soundtrack.

Or in the Halloween episode segment that parodied Hitchcock's Stranger on the Train and, at one point, used the theme from North by Northwest during an extended chase sequence.

Musical numbers, on the other hand, feature stylized dialogue in the form of lyrics.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    -Is there a chance the track could bend?

-Not on your life, my Hindu friend!

Joolander on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Timing may be a problem with the new episodes, but lack of time probably isn't it. I know in one of the season 4 commentaries (the one with the juicer, I think), they talk about how the whole scene was added because they were short on time.

There's an older post around that illustrates the Simpsons' problems (but the most recent seasons seem to have improved over a huge trench (possibly even abyssal trench) of poor episodes):
    I think I might be able to illustrate the difference here. Remember that first Simpsons Christmas episode when they get Santa's Little Helper?

If you don't here's a quick synopsis:
    Homer doesn't get his Christmas bonus so he tries to salvage the family Christmas; Homer saves money by buying little cheap gifts (and works as a Santa); Bart is a brat but he has a rationale behind it (wants to get a tattoo with 'Mother' on it to impress Marge, not just to be obnoxious); Bart and Homer bond at the race track after Bart discovers Homer working as a Santa; Santa's Little Helper joins the family as a result of how bad he is as a greyhound and is a completely accidental 'good present' from Homer.

Here's how it would probably play out with the writers they have now:
    Homer gets a bonus but blows it on some random, idiotic thing (...Let's go with dog sledding insurance); Homer does some inane crap unrelated to the plot; Bart runs into an antique store and breaks things "because he's bad, it's what he does" (forcing Marge to use the Christmas money to pay for everything); Homer strangles bart; Lisa is sad that Christmas is ruined (contradicting her normal moral and secular stances...which happens quite frequently) and Homer gets Santa's Little Helper from the pound as a dog to cheer up Lisa.

Also, I hate musicals, but the Monorail song is great.

President Rex on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think in the end it has become harder to really identify with any of the characters. Family Guy suffers from this greatly also... the reason American Dad is so good is that even when they are pretty awful, most of the characters are still pretty likable. Even Roger. With the Simpson's it has just gotten harder and harder to really like any of them. I mean, Lisa is still the only one I even marginally like, and lets be honest, she's pretty awful now. Marge would be infinitely more likable if she just wasn't so accommodating of Homer and Bart. I mean, at this point she's one of those parents who end up behind bars for not being able to control their children and endangering the lives of others.

Bear in mind, this is just my opinion. The fact of the matter is, it's hard for me to really pinpoint just why I don't care for this current incarnation of the Simpson's. It's not because I want to hate them, like Cloud Eagle thinks... although I don't blame him for thinking that because I'm sure that's how it comes off. I just can't put my finger on it.

Also, a lot of the musicals are great... Who Needs the Quickie Mart from the 100th Episode Spectacular... perfect gold.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sentry wrote: »
    I think in the end it has become harder to really identify with any of the characters. Family Guy suffers from this greatly also... the reason American Dad is so good is that even when they are pretty awful, most of the characters are still pretty likable. Even Roger. With the Simpson's it has just gotten harder and harder to really like any of them. I mean, Lisa is still the only one I even marginally like, and lets be honest, she's pretty awful now. Marge would be infinitely more likable if she just wasn't so accommodating of Homer and Bart. I mean, at this point she's one of those parents who end up behind bars for not being able to control their children and endangering the lives of others.

Bear in mind, this is just my opinion. The fact of the matter is, it's hard for me to really pinpoint just why I don't care for this current incarnation of the Simpson's. It's not because I want to hate them, like Cloud Eagle thinks... although I don't blame him for thinking that because I'm sure that's how it comes off. I just can't put my finger on it.

Also, a lot of the musicals are great... Who Needs the Quickie Mart from the 100th Episode Spectacular... perfect gold.

Are the characters on Family Guy likable? Out of the two episodes I've seen on this thread's recommendation (the Delorean ep, and the Vietnam War re-enactment ep) none of the characters came off as really likable other than Steve. Francine is shrill and annoying, Roger came off as a prick and a half at the end of the Delorean episode, and I wanted to punch the fuck out of Roger every time he came on screen and reminded everyone about how damn effeminate he is.

But that's just me. Since it's a different show, I'm sure people judge it by different standards.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Are the characters on Family Guy likable? Out of the two episodes I've seen on this thread's recommendation (the Delorean ep, and the Vietnam War re-enactment ep) none of the characters came off as really likable other than Steve. Francine is shrill and annoying, Roger came off as a prick and a half at the end of the Delorean episode, and I wanted to punch the fuck out of Roger every time he came on screen and reminded everyone about how damn effeminate he is.

But that's just me. Since it's a different show, I'm sure people judge it by different standards.

I get what you mean, because in both shows the characters do horrible things. I think the difference is that at the end of the day for me, American Dad still seems to have a character that ends up being a family and show moments of caring about each other.

But Family Guy, they just ended up going so far with all the characters that they turn into nothing but parodies of themselves-with the "Meg is hated by everyone' being the most often used example.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Don't forget "See My Vest"

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I was a fan of "Streetcar!" - mostly because in the commentaries the writers were talking about how they had to convey what a terrible musical version of "A Streetcar Named Desire" would be like, without using more than the few words of dialogue that they got under 'fair use'. Which led to gems like:

STELLAAAAAAAA!
    STELLAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    Can't you hear me yell-a?
    You're putting me through hell-a!
    STELLAAAA
    STELLAAAAAA!

Bioptic on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Wait, was this started by the thing I said? Because I'm not talking about the musical numbers, I love those.

I'm talking about a musical montage. Several cuts of tiny gags with an unoriginal song over it. Example: Nelson and Lisa doing faux-drug chocolate to the track "Ever Fallen in Love" in the episode Love, Springfieldian Style.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »

I was a fan of "Streetcar!" - mostly because in the commentaries the writers were talking about how they had to convey what a terrible musical version of "A Streetcar Named Desire" would be like, without using more than the few words of dialogue that they got under 'fair use'. Which led to gems like:

STELLAAAAAAAA!
    STELLAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    Can't you hear me yell-a?
    You're putting me through hell-a!
    STELLAAAA
    STELLAAAAAA!

Can't believe how pissed off New Orleans got at that opening song number.

edit: also:

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Haha, dr. Zaius is my favorite, I think. God, I love Troy McClure.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So with Bob Burger's coming out next month, where is that fitting on the schedule? I have a feeling it will bump American Dad to the pre-Simpson timeslot of death.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    They might as well just put Bob's Burgers in the death slot. There's no way that that's lasting more than three episodes.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I always liked King of the Hill in the pre-Simpsons timeslot more than when they moved it to right after the Simpsons.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    According to Fox, Bob's Burgers is airing immediately after The Simpsons.

So yeah, one of the MacFarlane Bunch is getting bumped.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    According to Fox, Bob's Burgers is airing immediately after The Simpsons.

So yeah, one of the MacFarlane Bunch is getting bumped.

I predict it will be American Dad. :(

I also predict Bob's Burgers will be cancelled after 3 episodes.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm pretty sure when they announced "Bob's Burgers" they said they were moving American Dad to the pre-Simpsons time slot.

Sucks, but Bob's Burgers will die, as will Napoleon Dynamite (which will inevitable knock American Dad off again), and so on for eternity.

I really don't know why they bother. They can't possibly think any of the shows they've replaced American Dad with are going to be successful. One focus group would tell them it sucks.

But I guess if they didn't learn from 'Til Death, Suns of Tuscon and about five billion other shows I don't even remember the names of, they aren't going to learn now.

Invisible on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Of all the infinite ways a show could have addressed an issue like that, that was possibly the least funny.

I much preferred Futurama's Torgo's Executive Powder.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

This was in 2005. How many more shows can we add to this list in the last five years?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

This was in 2005. How many more shows can we add to this list in the last five years?

Bazillions. Then again, networks have always canceled bazillions of shows each year.

It's pretty much the equivalent of Jay Leno making a lawyer joke that was old when your grandmother heard it the first time in 1926.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Bazillions. Then again, networks have always canceled bazillions of shows each year.

It's pretty much the equivalent of Jay Leno making a lawyer joke that was old when your grandmother heard it the first time in 1926.

While I respect your right to a dissenting opinion of what constitutes comedy, opinion and hyperbole to do not constitute fact.

In my personal experience the first time I saw that joke I thought it was funny, and now 5
    years later, I'm still laughing.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    noir_blood wrote: »

I get what you mean, because in both shows the characters do horrible things. I think the difference is that at the end of the day for me, American Dad still seems to have a character that ends up being a family and show moments of caring about each other.

But Family Guy, they just ended up going so far with all the characters that they turn into nothing but parodies of themselves-with the "Meg is hated by everyone' being the most often used example.

The other thing is that FG doesn't even have likable supporting characters. Tom Tucker's an ass, Carter's an ass, Joe's an ass, Quagmire's a rapist, Adam West isn't even really a character. That leaves who, Bonnie? Jillian's gone. Diane's dead. The Goldmans are barely even on the show anymore, and Death's been MIA for a while.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

While I respect your right to a dissenting opinion of what constitutes comedy, opinion and hyperbole to do not constitute fact.

In my personal experience the first time I saw that joke I thought it was funny, and now 5
    years later, I'm still laughing.

Eh, while I agree they deserved to take a shot at Fox, they just went for a tired old combination of two out of the three jokes the show knows how to tell (unaltered pop culture references and jokes that go on for waaaaaay too long).

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So uh, I guess the 3rd Family Guy Star Wars spoof is coming out tomorrow? I had no idea this was even a thing, up until the commercial flashed on TV.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So uh, I guess the 3rd Family Guy Star Wars spoof is coming out tomorrow? I had no idea this was even a thing, up until the commercial flashed on TV.

My bluray copy is supposed to arrive today...

I had honestly forgotten I preordered and why I did (I think it was going to be a gift, but I got them something else instead).

Invisible on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I find it hilarious that Robot Chicken beat them to the punch AGAIN.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Say what you want about Family Guy Star Wars; John William's score is fucking amazing on BR. This is uncontestable fact.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »

At this point, considering how much Seth Green and Seth McFarlane do voice work for each others Star Wars episodes it's seriously much more like a collaboration now then a competition.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Say what you want about Family Guy Star Wars; John William's score is fucking amazing when sung by chickens. This is uncontestable fact.

Fixed. And though I don't like his shows, Seth MacFarlane makes a damn fine Emperor Palpatine.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »

At this point, considering how much Seth Green and Seth McFarlane do voice work for each others Star Wars episodes it's seriously much more like a collaboration now then a competition.

Seth is the best damn voice for Emperor Palpatine.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Go for Papa Palpatine...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Go for Papa Palpatine...

Vader! How's my favorite Sith?... Whoa whoa whoa... whoa, whoa. Just - slow down. Huh? What do you mean they blew up the Death Star? Fuck! Oh, fuck! Fuck! FUCK!... Who's "they"?... What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Say what you want about Family Guy Star Wars; John William's score is fucking amazing. This is uncontestable fact.

Fixed. And though I don't like his shows, Seth MacFarlane makes a damn fine Emperor Palpatine.

Fix Fixed?

Also, not enough lime.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    In It's a Trap!:

Klaus is Admiral Ackbar (and wants to put the Ewoks in relocation camps) :)
    Roger shows up at the beginning to talk with Stewie about the Death Star:)

Rollo is that weird alien guy who co-pilots the Falcon with Lando :(

It was a funny special, I've always liked them. There is one really drawn out part about nodding heads that seems to be their simply to fill time, but the constant theme of Seth Green bashing and then Seth McFarlane bashing works well.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, despite some tedious parts (the nodding scene being the biggest one) I would say that this was probably the best of the three. The Seth Green/Seth McFarlane jokes were pretty good.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ugh, I have a sneaking suspicion my wife got me the trilogy for Christmas. have to wait a whole 3 days to see Boba-Chicken die. :(

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For those of us that have seen it...

Should we tell him?

Nocren on