As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Shin Megami Tensei/Persona]: the Strange Journey is underway. Suit up!

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    God damn.
    P4 just got REALLY hard.
    D:

Rizzi on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »
    God damn.
    P4 just got REALLY hard.
    D:
    The first two dungeons are the only hard ones, don't worry.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    AmygdalaAmygdala Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nocturne just insists on pissing me off. Almost finished the second Kalpa and then I suddenly get instakilled by a fucking Hresvelgr out of nowhere, before I could even move :x

Virtually every time I stop playing, it's because I don't want to bite my controller in half.

Amygdala on
    spec.png
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    God damn.
    P4 just got REALLY hard.
    D:
    The first two dungeons are the only hard ones, don't worry.

I wish the rest of the dungeons were as hard. I felt like such a badass when I beat the first real boss.

Those were the best dungeons in the game, though I did really like
    Heaven
    , but only because that's when I started killing shit with a Metal Bat.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, if Persona 4 managed to keep the difficulty it had in the first two dungeons through the whole game, it would have been phenomenal.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I'm thinking of restarting P3. I forget about how long it takes before I really get to do anything both in the daytime and in Tartarus?

Also what are the big things that I need to get a jump on as soon as I can in the game?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, if Persona 4 managed to keep the difficulty it had in the first two dungeons through the whole game, it would have been phenomenal.

This happens in so many JRPGs. I'm playing through Blue Dragon now, and the first two bosses were pretty challenging, but after getting a fourth party member bosses are dead before I'm done casting buffs. (Which are useless in any non-SMT game anyway.)

The problem is healing classes, I think.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, healing is a big problem in a lot of JRPGs. Once you get the ability to spam a strong Heal All spell every turn, say goodbye to difficulty.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I feel like that problem isn't just relegated to jRPGs

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I never felt like the game was too easy, but I did feel badass when I would completely wipe the floor with enemies. It's like I know this mob of enemies is set to out-cheap me, but you know what? I can out-cheap them better.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Eh, I liked Persona 4's difficulty level. It was hard enough to stay interesting, but not hard enough to ever slow down the pacing. Not every game has to be SMT: Nocturne Hard mode.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nocturne Hard Mode was more fun than difficult. It forces you to know the system inside and out. Once you break it, it's a cinch.

I thought P4's difficulty was pretty consistent all the way through, final boss aside. If it gets easier, it's because the party gets better.

Also applies to DDS and more skills. I wish I'd had Enervate in DDS1.

Speaking of which: Uriel is toast. Going after #2 now.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm really having trouble beating the giant bird in a cage boss.
    Seems like no matter how good I do, eventually it just kills me with an aoe fire attack. Which makes Chie get knocked the fuck on her ass, so she gets another move and finishes me off.
    And I can't leave because I left it way too late.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Seems like no matter how good I do, eventually it just kills me with an aoe fire attack. Which makes Chie get knocked the fuck on her ass, so she gets another move and finishes me off.

If you fail at rescuing, it'll kick you back a week to give it another shot, to prevent players from getting stuck.

Sounds like someone needs to grind more, and fuse some better personae

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Something that nulls or at least resists fire is, obviously, great for that. I used an Eligor that had the Dia and Resist Fire skills so MC would resist physical attacks too.

Make sure everyone is set to manual control. Take out the little helper with Chie's ice spells first. Ignore the main boss. After the helper is gone, start attacking the boss, but have Chie guard every turn once its health gets low enough that it starts using the fire skill

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited December 2009
    I forgot to mention. Chie has 10 sp left.
    Am I boned? y/n

Rizzi on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The main reason why I've been playing P4 so sporadically and haven't finished it yet is that the difficulty's been such a joke that I get bored in the dungeon sequences.

Resist/Null/Absorb persons + buffs/debuffs wreck bosses. AoE confusion makes most random encounter a joke. And you can grind forever easily because there's no Tired status and regaining SP becomes trivial.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is there a Titania hall equivalent in DDS2? Ideally before the Airport. The mantra grids are way lacking.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Is there a Titania hall equivalent in DDS2? Ideally before the Airport. The mantra grids are way lacking.
    nope

the best you can do is grind out in the most recent dungeon

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Also, Raphael stomped us. Almost got him though. Aren't blind runs the best?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The best place to grind is the 3rd layer of the final dungeon -- but that's only because you're gonna be wanting the obscure items that only appear in rare encounters in that area. So you'll fight there for a while.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    See here's the problem with those grinding spots in the last dungeon though. That place is a point of no return. You have to fight all the angels before then. cj, I think the airport is your best bet. I'm pretty positive that as you long as you don't fight the boss you can just leave and go back to fight the angels.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    See here's the problem with those grinding spots in the last dungeon though. That place is a point of no return. You have to fight all the angels before then. cj, I think the airport is your best bet. I'm pretty positive that as you long as you don't fight the boss you can just leave and go back to fight the angels.
    this is definitely what I did

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    They all went down pretty easily, since they have weaknesses. The only one who put up a real fight was Raphael.

Headed to the final fight now.

Well... O_o...this won't be easy.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, healing is a big problem in a lot of JRPGs. Once you get the ability to spam a strong Heal All spell every turn, say goodbye to difficulty.

I feel like just limiting the power of your heal all fixes issues. I struggled through DQ8 even with and AOE heal that would cure my low HP chars to 3/4ths and my higher guys to half hp.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hm, I've just started the final dungeon in P4, and at 72, I just wiped out a mob, so I can understand the sentiment that the game is easy. I wonder how the heck I'm gonna get to the 90s...

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    Hm, I've just started the final dungeon in P4, and at 72, I just wiped out a mob, so I can understand the sentiment that the game is easy. I wonder how the heck I'm gonna get to the 90s...
    even without the leveling trick, leveling is super easy

you can easily grind the last two dungeons up through the 90s

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So I just fought Michael.
    -Rage
    -Dekaja
    -Mind Charge
    -Megidoloan

Om
    Mani
    Padme
    Hm

O_o

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    He uses that if you buff or debuff more than 3 times during the gauntlet fight. NEVER buff or debuff more than that.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I went into the fight with full Sukukaja/Makakaja/Rakukaja in effect.

I guess he wasn't happy.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    He hates that. Buff Sukukaja, Rakakaja, and Makakaja ONLY 3 times. Debuff ONLY 3 times.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Isn't it maxed at 3 times? Or is 'Limit Reached.' a fourth?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    NVM SORRY IGNORE THAT

Only use -kaja and -nda spells TWICE on him. Only twice. Never more than two.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    This bath house is. Very disturbing.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't know if I'll be able to finish P4 now.

In the last dungeon, on the sixth floor. FUCKING DICE LAST RESORT OVERKILLED MY MAIN!

UGGGGGGGH. I really don't feel like treking back up there.

Also, I saw something about P4 girls, and Chie is the worst. WORST. I'm looking at you Gilder.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I just got very very lucky. I was on floor seven and running out of hp and sp, and I forgot to bring a teleport item along. So I get out of a fight and I get a Death Arcana. Bloody thing teleported me out so I could save and it gave me full sp so I could heal.
    Whew!

Rizzi on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Also, I saw something about P4 girls, and Chie is the worst. WORST. I'm looking at you Gilder.
    I've played through Persona 4 twice (well... twice and a third), and rolled with Chie as my girlfriend every time. Everybody else gets friendzoned, on account of the whole harem thing being creepy as fuck and not being able to make out with Kanji or Yosuke.

I have this problem with RPGs where I will start a second playthrough with the intention of doing things differently, but I inevitably don't change a thing. Every Persona 4 playthrough I ever do will be exactly the same, because picking a different girlfriend would mean either doing the creepy as fuck thing, or not picking Chie. I can't do either!

though i really wanted to make out with kanji and yosuke

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    though i really wanted to make out with kanji and yosuke
    But Kanji's straight and Yousuke's still in the closet.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Elendil wrote: »

Wait, what? Leveling trick?

Also, I meant that it's going to take me forever to get to the 90s. I'm only getting around 2k xp a fight.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Elendil wrote: »

Wait, what? Leveling trick?

Also, I meant that it's going to take me forever to get to the 90s. I'm only getting around 2k xp a fight.
    Assuming you mean the True Ending final dungeon (in March), the best place for experience is actually the previous, December dungeon.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

This discussion has been closed.