As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kill counts exceeding 9000: Where to look?

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bobble wrote: »
    Yeah I can't speak to the quality of the PSP entry, but the Dynasty Warriors series is really just entirely about a body count. They're like the Kung Fu movies of the video game world.

I suddenly want a game where you're like bruce lee, swarmed by fifty bad guys and you take them all out with a single strike.

Better yet, I want a game that's like a cross between the firefights in Starship Troopers and a bruce lee movie. That's right. You take on waves of thousands of arachnid aliens with your bare hands!

oh fuck yeah

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    kaleedity wrote: »
    crimsonland (of www.crimsonland.com ) is a good $10 arcade-style body-counter.

it's a 2d overhead shooter where you eventually have the game live up to its name

also lots of perks and guns and powerups

Hrm, looks like it's Windows only. :? Any good Mac equivalents?

yalborap on
  • Options
    RuddurBallRuddurBall Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Madworld. Thread Over.

Seriously, get this. This is the game you want if you want to rack up massive body counts.

RuddurBall on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mac games.

hm

Well, if you play Escape Velocity the right way there are plenty of deaths....

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Mac games.

hm

Honestly, I'm more of a console gamer, but I'll take what I can get.

yalborap on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you've got a console, Brütal Legend has a pretty good bodycount. Especially since you can wade into the thick of an RTS battle with a giant axe and an electric guitar. You can also just run-and-gun 'em down in your awesome car. Failing that, you can melt their faces with a kick-ass guitar solo. The grand daddy of them all though? Summon a flaming Zeppelin to crash and explode and burn anything in your path. Yup, Brütal Legend is... Well, brutal.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't think you can get a much higher body count than Serious Sam. The guy looks in any direction and sees bodies on top of bodies. In some of the action sequences you're mowing down litterly hundreds of mans every 10 seconds. Its really a genocide simulator.

After that Dead Rising has a pretty impressive body count if you stop caring about survivors.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    Mac games.

hm

Honestly, I'm more of a console gamer, but I'll take what I can get.

Oh god do you actually not know EV?

Ok. Get EV Nova. It's like $10. I've bought it maybe 80 times, I love it so.

It's not the best in terms of bodycount. But holy shit that's a damn motherfucking game. 6 different plots, plus you can, if you decide to, be a super trader magnate, or maybe you want to take over the whole fucking galaxy. Or maybe you can be a psychic ferry service. Or maybe you want to be a pirate king. Or maybe you want to be a super freelancer, going to pirate owned sectors and taking over massive super-powered pirate ships, then selling them for stupid moolah.

OH FUCK. EV Nova isn't authorized on this computer. TIME TO BUY IT AGAIN.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    you should definitely get bayonetta when it comes out in a couple months. theres a demo out for it.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    you should definitely get bayonetta when it comes out in a couple months. theres a demo out for it.

I have heard of this...Bayonetta. And her gunshoes.

Tell me, how much freedom does one have in their equipping things? And is it all guns, or are there also swords?

yalborap on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Tell me, how much freedom does one have in their equipping things? And is it all guns, or are there also swords?

I think at some point she gets ice skates that she uses as weapons

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Saints Row 2?

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Also pretty sure that she can put rocket launchers on her feet and hands as weapons.

Khavall on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I enjoyed Conan alot more then I should have but the final boss is a fuck enough that me and a friend simply didn't finish the last boss. But it's hella fun getting to it.

The Wolverine demo had plenty of blood shed, might be worth a cheap pick up.

useless4 on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

in the demo you get a couple weapons, a sword and your guns/melee. i think you can pick up a big axe too, but i didnt play it through too many times. also all your attacks are modified by your crazy hairsuit... thing. and like any melee attack you can work guns into (shes got guns on her wrists and her shoes). its really over the top and fun. heres a couple random gameplay videos to give you an idea of what its all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiFyMVblhRw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MlU88AuDRo

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Katamari Damacy?

jothki on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed has a pretty high kill count. And the all new Ultimate Sith Edition is fresh out as well. Throwing stormtroopers into walls or down bottomless pits, frying them with lightning or slicing and dicing with your lightsaber are just some of the options open to you.

Just avoid the PC version if possible. By all accounts, it's not a very good port.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jets n' Guns Gold, maybe? You start off a bit weak but by the end you're a ridiculous maelstrom of death. You even get bonus cash for killing multiple dudes at a time. Start on easy mode if you want the most murderous experience possible.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Metal Slug!

Food on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine for either 360 or PS3. You run around dismembering and killing a lot of people. Bonus, you do it as Wolverine.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yes, google the bayonetta 360 demo disc. Burn it, play it, savor. That simple.

goggles on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Do you have a PS3, OP?

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Nay. I've got a 360, a Wii, a PSP, a DS, and access to a PS2 and oXbox, however.

yalborap on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Also pretty sure that she can put rocket launchers on her feet and hands as weapons.
    They are not just any rocket launchers. They are rocket launchers that are also tonfa. She has a bullwhip, too. It's hot.

And you can mix and match a set of hand weapons and a set of foot weapons. Some can go in either slot (or both slots), and every combination has its own unique combo strings. The demo gives you two hand/foot weapon setups: pistols/pistols and katana/shotguns.
    Kitsuna wrote: »
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed has a pretty high kill count. And the all new Ultimate Sith Edition is fresh out as well. Throwing stormtroopers into walls or down bottomless pits, frying them with lightning or slicing and dicing with your lightsaber are just some of the options open to you.

Just avoid the PC version if possible. By all accounts, it's not a very good port.
    I've seen worse ports than Force Unleashed. But not many. And not worse by much.

Monger on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but Samurai Warriors (and now Warriors Orochi) tend to be less on the strategic accomplishing things side and more on the kill lots and lots of people side---so if you didn't like Dynasty Warriors because of how finicky the objectives could be, SW and WO might be good ideas.

Stranglehold is also another good idea, especially if you like the films it was inspired by.

And though I saw Saint's Row on your list, I think the customization options and the new quest types really make Saint's Row 2 much more fun.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Zone of the enders 2? Destroying a metric ton of robots anyway.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Global/Earth Defence Force.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kitsuna wrote: »

Oh, boy. I limed this so hard it became orange.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you don't mind games that are, objectively, dreadful, either of the Oneechanbara games - there are two games in the states, one for the Wii and one for the 360 - fit your stated requirements neatly. You don't do much but slice up near-endless hordes of zombies.

The 360 version features a zombie Killer Whale, easily one of the more rediculous bosses I've ever seen.

The Wii game has surprisingly enjoyable motion controls, if you have forearms of steel.

baudattitude on
  • Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you liked Prototype then I'll recommend Spiderman: Web of Shadows.

Houndx on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    Katamari Damacy?

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DoleyBobDoleyBob Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you have access to an oXbox then I'd highly reccomend both Otogi games. They're probably some of the most fun I've ever had with a video game. There just something about hitting a demon so hard that he goes flying through a wall, and then sending a giant lightning dragon after him....just to be sure.

DoleyBob on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For high kill counts, it's hard to beat...

Defcon-promo.jpg

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    jotjot Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Caedere wrote: »

Defcon-promo.jpg

I guess this isn't really what you asked for, but if you really want high kill counts, you should try some 4x games. Alpha Centauri has a shitton of ways to eradicate entire cities, like raising the ocean level or dropping planet busting nukes or unleashing masses of psychic killer worms.
    If that's not enough, you could check out Masters of Orion and bomb enemy planets from orbit until they're back in the stone age.

jot on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    jot wrote: »
    Caedere wrote: »

Defcon-promo.jpg

I guess this isn't really what you asked for, but if you really want high kill counts, you should try some 4x games. Alpha Centauri has a shitton of ways to eradicate entire cities, like raising the ocean level or dropping planet busting nukes or unleashing masses of psychic killer worms.
    If that's not enough, you could check out Masters of Orion and bomb enemy planets from orbit until they're back in the stone age.

Also, Supreme Commander.

You know how a lot of strategy games have upper limits of like, 200 troops? SupCom has upper limits of 1,000 troops. And turrets and buildings don't count towards that.

Losing 50 or so troops is completely fine in any specific fight during a battle in SupCom. You'll end up with kill and death counts in crazy amounts. Also it looks really awesome when you've got a firebase set up and like 20 turrets and AA guns encased in shields and the other player is sending waves of troops through the shield and missiles are all flying everywhere and lasers are shooting and then your battleships are firing on the coastal establishments and your interceptors are shooting down their bombers and that's all happening at the same time and that's just normal play, not even a large battle.

Khavall on
  • Options
    totallytotally Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Armored Core: For Answer

3rd person Giant Robot Shooter/sim.
    Steep learning curve and horrible online community but deep customization/metagame.
    The latest patch slows the Zone of the Enders speed a bit making the game a bit more approachable. Also in the story mode bad ending you can kill 100 million people.

Now I want to do a game on and get some PAers into some matches.

totally on
    GT: totallyrobot GSID: totallytotally
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Assassin's Creed / Assassin's Creed 2 can both be played this way, if you wish. While there's an overarching story for both, whenever I was feeling frustrated with their game, I just went around like the angel of death. The first has three weapons, the second has quite a few more, and they have different kill animations and the like. Moreover, the combat is pretty simplistic in terms of buttons, and is more about timing and making your combat looks cool than anything else.

AC1 has some cooler (in my opinion) death animations, but AC2 has much cooler looking environments, and much better breadth of weapons to keep it interesting in combat.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded. It's $5 on Steam. Think simplified Diablo with huge guns & aliens and crazy body counts.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm sure someone's already posted this, but PROTOTYPE is by far the most ridiculous and violent game I've played all year.

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    totally wrote: »
    Armored Core: For Answer

3rd person Giant Robot Shooter/sim.
    Steep learning curve and horrible online community but deep customization/metagame.
    The latest patch slows the Zone of the Enders speed a bit making the game a bit more approachable. Also in the story mode bad ending you can kill 100 million people.

Now I want to do a game on and get some PAers into some matches.
    Is it the bad ending because in the good ending you can kill 200 million people?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png