As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Prince of Persia Announced for May '10, Returns to Sands of Time Storyline

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Too bad they don't push these rereleases up to 1080p. Same was true for the God of War stuff, hopefully Ico and Shadow of the Colossus will go that extra mile.

I've got Forgotten Sands incoming from Gamefly. If it's any good I'll keep it from them for $10.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Too bad they don't push these rereleases up to 1080p. Same was true for the God of War stuff, hopefully Ico and Shadow of the Colossus will go that extra mile.

I've got Forgotten Sands incoming from Gamefly. If it's any good I'll keep it from them for $10.

I'm pretty sure Ico and SOTC will be 720p too (I remember reading it). Though considering these re-releases are also (apparently) 3d compatible it seems like for non-3d they should be able to up the resolution.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yeah, good luck with that. I'm pretty sure they (and most of us) are more concerned about the games framerate than the resolution.

As for the ports, Eurogamer seemed to like them, giving the Trilogy an 8/10. They did point out that they're pretty outdated at points though (especially the horrible combat), and that you're probably going to get sick of Prince of Persia by the end of TTT.

My copy's on the way now, it should take a week or two to get here from the UK. I think I'll alternate between PoP's and Sly's just so I don't get really sick of either franchise. Though I won't be touching either until I finish AC Brotherhood and get a decent amount of time into GT5.

Edit: You guys heard that they've confirmed the Splinter Cell Collection too, right? I'll wait to hear what version they're using before I get interested. Xbox versions or bust.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wish Square would finally get on the HD remake bandwagon and do the Final Fantasy Collection. And bring the Zodiac Edition of FF12 in the process.

So we should probably get Warrior Within next week and in two weeks TT huh? Works for me :)

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nah I think Ubisoft said the other two aren't coming until December. Might be two weeks between each release, I'm not sure.

Square are never going to get on the HD remake bandwagon and if they did, they'd release each game seperately at full price. Bastards.
    And I'd buy each one...

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Yeah, good luck with that. I'm pretty sure they (and most of us) are more concerned about the games framerate than the resolution.
    ..CLIP..

Can't we have both? These games ran on the computers of the time at 1080p no problem (or a 4:3 equivalent) seems the PS3 would have no trouble handling them at 1080p.

Most likely they have some kind of emulation going on instead of porting the game code to the PS3. That would account for them not being about to hit the full 1080p. If that is the case it is kind of lazy and half assed, actually poor phrasing, it would be cheap and quick in terms of development.

Anyway, anyone try the ports in 3D?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The original PoP...I think I was 8 when I played it. It was so unique at the time. Looking back...yeah, I'd say that the controls feel slippery but it was part of the charm.

I still haven't played Karateka tho. I need to get around and do that sometime.

Yeah, I've owned the version on SNES since I was about seven. Finally went back and beat it in under two hours to get the good ending and the real boss fight. That shit was hard! No FAQ's, either.

The thing is it forces you to be precise as fuck, since everything you push on the controller happens on a delay. So having to run and jump over a large pit to the next screen only to grab an edge that has a switch plate, drop down another screen, and grab the ledge there before plummeting to your doom required some fore thought and planning. Reviewers of games nowadays call that a problem with the game play--I called it a challenge.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I have it, but I haven't taken the time to play through it yet. I'll let you know how it is when I do. The little I've seen so far suggest that it's more responsive and forgiving, as you have more moves at your disposal.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

..CLIP..

Can't we have both? These games ran on the computers of the time at 1080p no problem (or a 4:3 equivalent) seems the PS3 would have no trouble handling them at 1080p.

Most likely they have some kind of emulation going on instead of porting the game code to the PS3. That would account for them not being about to hit the full 1080p. If that is the case it is kind of lazy and half assed, actually poor phrasing, it would be cheap and quick in terms of development.

What? No, emulation isn't at all likely. In fact, there's absolutely no chance whatsoever they're emulated. How do I know this? Because these games are being rendered natively at 720p, they're not being upscaled. And that's not even taking into consideration the whole PS2 emulation problem on most PS3's (it's impossible). They're ports.

Could the PS3 handle rendering them at 1080p? Probably but that'd mean longer development times and with it, larger budgets and that hurts some of the main reasons why we're even seeing these ports. Which is, that they're cheap and only take a few months to pull off, so there's very little risk.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What? No, emulation isn't at all likely. In fact, there's absolutely no chance whatsoever they're emulated. How do I know this? Because these games are being rendered natively at 720p, they're not being upscaled. And that's not even taking into consideration the whole PS2 emulation problem on most PS3's (it's impossible).
    Dunno about the rest of it, but PS3s in Europe started out with software emulation for PS2 games, so it's not impossible. It was never flawless though, and Sony just stopped supporting it after a while.
    That said, this is almost certainly not an emulation, as that would mean they don't touch the original game at all, and apart from anything else, they wouldn't be able to include Trophies that way.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    klemming wrote: »
    What? No, emulation isn't at all likely. In fact, there's absolutely no chance whatsoever they're emulated. How do I know this? Because these games are being rendered natively at 720p, they're not being upscaled. And that's not even taking into consideration the whole PS2 emulation problem on most PS3's (it's impossible).
    Dunno about the rest of it, but PS3s in Europe started out with software emulation for PS2 games, so it's not impossible. It was never flawless though, and Sony just stopped supporting it after a while.
    That said, this is almost certainly not an emulation, as that would mean they don't touch the original game at all, and apart from anything else, they wouldn't be able to include Trophies that way.

Yes, yes it is. They didn't start with PS2 software emulation at all, they started out with a mixture of both hardware and emulation. The Emotion Engine was emulated, the Graphics Synthesizer was still included in the PS3's. The Graphics Synthesizer is the component that's impossible for the PS3 to emulate. The same PS3's made it over to the US as the 80GB PS3.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You can rendered emulated content at higher resolutions then they were original intended for. PC emulators do this all the time, and PS1 emulator for the PS3 would do this if it was so half assed.

It's not impossible for Sony to emulate PS2 games on the PS3, it's just not financially viable for them to put time into it.

The trophy bit is a good point though.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You can rendered emulated content at higher resolutions then they were original intended for. PC emulators do this all the time, and PS1 emulator for the PS3 would do this if it was so half assed.

It's not impossible for Sony to emulate PS2 games on the PS3, it's just not financially viable for them to put time into it.

From what I've heard, there is an issue with memory bandwidth that prevents the graphics chip from being emulated.

Google turned up this:
    The Graphics Synthesizer's 4MB of eDRAM has a 2560-bit memory bus, giving it 48GB/s of memory bandwidth. Simply put, the PS3 does not have fast enough memory to emulate the Graphics Synthesizer properly. Even the combined memory bandwidth of the PS3's CPU and GPU memory is lower than the bandwidth of the 4MB of eDRAM on the PS2.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Never said it would be easy :)

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Ico and SOTC will be 720p too (I remember reading it). Though considering these re-releases are also (apparently) 3d compatible it seems like for non-3d they should be able to up the resolution.

Did you just say SOTC in 3D? My 3D kit should be arriving on Monday.. Oh Jesus my pants.

super_soaker.gif

P.S. I believe the rule is .gifs under a meg are allowed, mine is about half that, but if I'm misquoting the rule please don't infract me, let me know and I'll gladly remove it.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Yes, I know you can and you're still wrong. What you described is upscaling, taking a smaller image and running an algorithm which spreads the same image across far more pixels than it was intended to. The PS3 DOES do this with PS1 games, the main difference between it and PC emulators is the latter generally have filters to make games look better, the PS3 doesn't (outside of the smoothing). The difference between that and these HD Collections is that the HD Collections are being rendered natively at 720p. There is no upscaling whatsoever going on, the image coming straight off the buffer is at 720p.

And yes, the quote Rakai posted is what I was referring to when I said it's impossible. If Sony could emulate the PS2 they would, because then they'd be able to sell PS2 games on the PSN. But they can't because it is physically impossible. This is why we have to just get the slow trickle of HD Collections, because they're manually porting each game over to the PS3.

On a side note, if you get your emulation stable enough, you can actually insert things into the background like trophies. Just look at the Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No, emulators can rasterize to a higher-resolution framebuffer than the original pretty easily, not even talking about upscaling.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am playing Forgotten Sands currently, I am enjoying it far more than I did POP2008.

However it's one of the few retail games to hard lock my PS3 (the others are Bioshock 2 and Saw). I've read that the POP collection is very prone to crashes too. Ubisoft really need to sort their Q&A out.

Moioink on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »
    No, emulators can rasterize to a higher-resolution framebuffer than the original pretty easily, not even talking about upscaling.

You're right, my mistake. He's still wrong though, none of these HD Collections are emulated.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Okay I finished Forgotten Sands. I am not too sure why it got such middling reviews, I thought it was really rather good. Started and finished in a weekend.

Moioink on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Moioink wrote: »
    Okay I finished Forgotten Sands. I am not too sure why it got such middling reviews, I thought it was really rather good. Started and finished in a weekend.
    Most people kind of talked it down as just more Sands of Time, without taking into account the fact that it's more Sands of Time! The story was underwhelming, I guess, but I thought it was some amazing platforming, and I actually ended up liking the combat a lot until it got stupid easy at the end.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Most people kind of talked it down as just more Sands of Time, without taking into account the fact that it's more Sands of Time! The story was underwhelming, I guess, but I thought it was some amazing platforming, and I actually ended up liking the combat a lot until it got stupid easy at the end.

I quite liked the story. My expectations were low based on what folks have said but I thought it was more than decent. And yeah seriously, Sands of Time is 7 years old now. I really don't see what the problem was with a sequel especially one as well made this. I guess these are the same moaners who complain about new Ratchet and Clank games.

Moioink on
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I played Forgotten Sands for something like 5 hours straight.

Really, I could bitch about certain choices the game makes, but WHY?

Then again, I think I'm the only person in the world who thinks that Two Thrones was the best game in the series, so what do I know?

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I disliked not being able to block, it was buggy (I got two game breaking bugs, had to delete my save on the 360 and it recovered from a backup) and the ending was awful.

But the rest of the game was fantastic, I absolutely loved it.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Then again, I think I'm the only person in the world who thinks that Two Thrones was the best game in the series, so what do I know?

Wrong.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Wrong.
    So, is that, like, a disease that spreads when you people bite each other, or?

Monger on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Wrong.
    So, is that, like, a disease that spreads when you people bite each other, or?

We need to euthanise these people in case it does!

Moioink on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I think the platforming in Forgotten Sands is fine, but there's almost nothing else of appeal in that game. Aesthetically, it's completely soulless and boring for the most part, especially in terms of art design (which is weird, since the concept art is actually pretty rad). The story is shit, and the characters are muppets.

Like I said, I think it's a fine game, but Sands and Two Thrones are way better. It almost commits the same crime as Warrior Within, only everything looks grey/brown and dull instead of goth and grimdarkrage. Despite the technological leap, I just thought the game was downright ugly for the most part and lacking any sort of creative drive.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Personally, I was just bitter and angry that they apparently abandoned PoP08.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

An absolutely gorgeous, but unfortunately boring as hell game.

The DLC Epilogue was much, much better.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

This. I want to know what happens next goddamit.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I never bought the epilogue, but loved PoP08. Is it worth it?

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

You can just watch the epilogue on youtube if you don't want to spend the cash.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

No. It's only one half of the gameplay (you never heal the place) and way too hard. It felt like they'd listened to the idiots who thought the main game was too easy, and overcompensated. Forgotten Sands is probably about as hard, and was also more frustrating than I wanted it to be, so mileage may vary.

Zerozaki Ishiki on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The best part of Forgotten Sands is when you overshoot a jump between two swingy-pole-things and he catches it with his other hand anyway

LaCabra on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

No. It's only one half of the gameplay (you never heal the place) and way too hard. It felt like they'd listened to the idiots who thought the main game was too easy, and overcompensated. Forgotten Sands is probably about as hard, and was also more frustrating than I wanted it to be, so mileage may vary.

Too hard? What the hell? It was harder than the base game, no doubt, but it was still relatively easy.

The epilogue is absolutely worth it. It's pretty awesome.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    BookerBooker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If I may make a suggestion, the epilogue to PoP08 was harder, without being more challenging. A few of the jumps were easier to fail, but the core platforming mechanics were exactly the same.

I absolutely loved PoP08, and can't wait for the continuation, to clarify.

Booker on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I still think they could have carried on with the PoP08 story.
    There were complaints about the gameplay (I never had a problem with it), but Ubisoft has shown themselves willing to listen to complaints before (I think they addressed every element people didn't like about Assassins Creed for the sequel).
    They even listened twice for the Sands trilogy, the problem was they seemed to listen to the people who didn't like Sands at all when making WW. Then they saved it by listening to the complaints about it and fixing it in TT, by turning the generic rage into part of his character development.
    Given the way 08 ended, it would be easy to justify just about any gameplay change they wanted to make.

I'm still kinda hoping that they'll pick it up again, and FS was just trying to tie into the sands theme of the film.
    I didn't like the way FS was presented as a mid-quel to the series, seeing as it added nothing to the story. If they'd tried to tie it in somehow, maybe stick the Dahaka in at the end, but voice actor (and what? One, two lines of dialogue?) aside, there was really nothing to link it to the other games.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    I fucking love the fighting in PoP08 so much. I hope to god they bring that back.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'd completely forgotten about the epilogue to PoP '08. I guess I should go buy it at some point.

Monger on