Options

[Allods Online] OB ON! We went League on Tensess.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I never did figure out why most F2P games don't also offer a subscription mode where you get all the bonuses (or get them for in-game gold) while the subscription lasts. It seems like such a logical step.

Glal on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    DDO does that.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    kabuki64kabuki64 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So do you get this Fear of Death thing everyones scared of if someone were to resurrect you? Or is it just if you go into purgatory?

kabuki64 on
    Poké FC: 0516 4736 9808
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    After level 15 you get FoD whenever you die, doesn't matter if someone resses you, doesn't matter if it's PVP, just whenever you die.

It's really not that big of a deal if you like the game a lot, in Russia it costs about 15 bucks for 50 hours of perfume. I think of it more as an arcade type deal, put a few nickels in (once they fix the prices) and you get 30 or so minutes of gameplay.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kajusta wrote: »
    You guys don't need to freak out about the cash shop, the prices are quite obviously erroneous and I'm sure they'll be fixed.

It's pretty easy to see if you look at the Russian version of the game, they've literally just missed a decimal point; a 0 is where it shouldn't be.
    Your faith in gPotato might be misplaced. Their European branch hosts Dragonica, and as you might remember that game turned into a clusterfuck once you hit the main city proper... they never changed that at all, for as far as I am aware (they mostly update the cash shop) The other games on their international site are popular, but gigantic grinds that I can't recommend to people in good faith (Rappelz, FlyFF, etc.).

There's absolutely no guarantees they are going to manage this game properly.

You cannot take the Russian prices as an indication of the European and American prices, the GDP per capita of Russia is 8,874, while it's $46,443 in the USA and even $47,042 in the Netherlands*. Prices in Russia will be a lot lower than those in the west. We're about 5 times as wealthy as them!**

I mean, sure they might be a kosher company that listens to its fans. It's also possible Iran is not developing nuclear weapons.

*IMF, 2009
    **not accurate, but GDP per capita is a pretty nice and simple number to measure wealth by.

Aldo on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    After level 15 you get FoD whenever you die, doesn't matter if someone resses you, doesn't matter if it's PVP, just whenever you die.

It's really not that big of a deal if you like the game a lot, in Russia it costs about 15 bucks for 50 hours of perfume. I think of it more as an arcade type deal, put a few nickels in (once they fix the prices) and you get 30 or so minutes of gameplay.

Can you use perfume to negate the penalty, or do you have to have the perfume on before you die?

I might not mind as much if I could just use perfume after I die rather than it being preventative.

Edit: But with the way I've been dying...

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I am well aware of the GDP in Russia, the prices taken are the just the equivalents in US Dollars.

They've already stated that they were pretty much just testing the waters, and that the prices will be fixed at a later point. I know Gpotato isn't exactly the best company for these sort of things, but this could really be a huge financial boon to them if they are able to balance out the prices.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mrflippy wrote: »

Can you use perfume to negate the penalty, or do you have to have the perfume on before you die?

I might not mind as much if I could just use perfume after I die rather than it being preventative.

Either/or as I understand it.

It's obviously better to use the perfume before hand if you have the first, second, or third patronages as the increase in health and decreased chance of getting cc'd tend to help out a whole lot.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mrflippy wrote: »

Either/or as I understand it.

It's obviously better to use the perfume before hand if you have the first, second, or third patronages as the increase in health and decreased chance of getting cc'd tend to help out a whole lot.

I don't know what patronages are, but I'll assume you're correct. The issue with that is again you're looking at a lot of money spent if you keep the perfume up constantly.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well that's why they need to fix the prices.

So yeah.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The number of people complaining about this who pull statistics out of their ass bother me a whole lot.

"96% of people won't buy items at the current prices!"

Buh?

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That's pretty universal though, making up statistics like that.

I'm betting nobody has bought perfume yet, but they've probably already started buying chests and keys and whatnot.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ah, ok I took you for dumber than you are then. Sorry.

Hm, super useful buffs everyone needs are what killed Sword of the New World/Granada Espado for a lot of people. i really want this game to have a reasonable cash shop, I think it would be the first free MMO to dodge all common pitfalls if that were the case.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    Ah, ok I took you for dumber than you are then. Sorry.

Hm, super useful buffs everyone needs are what killed Sword of the New World/Granada Espado for a lot of people. i really want this game to have a reasonable cash shop, I think it would be the first free MMO to dodge all common pitfalls if that were the case.

Yeah, if they just adjust the prices for perfume and add things like fatigue potions (that would give you more fatigue, or simply extend it), I could see myself playing this for a long time.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    perfume is a 30min buff that mkust be used before you die. and FoD happens on PVP too. so it's "needed" for both 10hour long raids and any pvp. some maps are open pvp so you'll be in "pvp" a lot after lvl 27 (where 40 is max i think)
    i quoted details near totp last page (post 352)

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, all interest i had in the game evapourated instantly when i saw the death penalties and the fact you basically are forced to purchase cash shop items to enjoy the game properly. If they are going to do that they may as well just charge a monthly subscription.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    think of it as "paying by the hour" rather than "all you can use in a month". Although I suppose they should offer the choice in the matter.

It doesn't seem to unreasonable that they try and earn some $$ from their entertainment product.

dojango on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    dojango wrote: »
    think of it as "paying by the hour" rather than "all you can use in a month". Although I suppose they should offer the choice in the matter.

It doesn't seem to unreasonable that they try and earn some $$ from their entertainment product.
    That's the difference between a reasonable cash shop and a cash shop money scheme.

A reasonable cash shop - to me - contains items I can use (so not only a new hairstyle or something equally silly), but that are not absolutely required to enjoy the game at even a basic level or are required to be able to compete or play together with other players. This can be done in a number of ways, but most of them boil down to items that make life just a little bit easier: teleports, extra inventory space, fashion items (standing out in a crowd has a certain draw to people). A special category are items that you can also get in-game, but that require a lot of time/effort/patience. Zu Online for example gave you a few basic spells, but the more advanced ones required a special currency you could only get by repeatable boring missions or by spending a few dollars on them. You could decide to grind out a bit yourself and buy the rest. Or you could do the lazy thing and buy everything.
    One important aspect of a reasonable cash shop is that the stuff you buy doesn't magically evaporate after a few days, forcing you to buy it again. I believe S4 League, Project Snow and Sword of the New World were guilty of this. You could buy a nice item, but you would have to buy it again every few weeks.

A bad cash shop can come in many forms and I think I've seen them all. Allods at this point in time squarely falls in the category of mean cash shops: besides the high prices it's also items that you absolutely need, you can't play the game after a certain point without them.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So, apparently you can also remove FoD with Myrrh that you can buy with gold in-game. Someone said that they thought they remembered it costing around 3g per death at level 40.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Someone else commented you make ~8g/day at that level. Provided you don't die (or shop or PVP), of course.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I make about 5g a day right now at my level, so that's not quite accurate.

Doesn't take into account any use of the AH at all.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Allods is pulling a STO.

STO skill cap change, billions of whine threads. all forced into one thread.

Allods Cash Shop, pages and pages of threads merged into one thread.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hey, if there's a Myrrh alternative to perfume then that's sweet and moves it back into a reasonable cash shop. I might just do that daily quest for perfume, buy some Myrrh and if I'm feel lazy/wealthy I'll buy some extra perfume.

re pulling a STO: To be fair, once the developers get the message there's little to no point in it taking over a whole forum. Of course if you get thousands of people yelling angrily at you on your forums it might be wise to tread carefully and try to address it as soon as possible with an honest answer and a good solution.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Allods is pulling a STO.

STO skill cap change, billions of whine threads. all forced into one thread.

Allods Cash Shop, pages and pages of threads merged into one thread.

Merging all threads of the same very popular topic into one thread is just good board management though, really.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    palppalp Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Myrrh gets you out of purgatory early, that is all. Once you are out (either waiting or paying the Myrrh) you have Fear of Death if you weren't wearing perfume. If you are at some random place on the mainland, you can talk to the vendor who hangs out at the cemetery and pay then another fee (3.5g is the number at max I think) to get rid of one stack of it. Not so bad right? Annoying.. but...

If you are in the astral, or in an instance, or in a once-daily heroic, or in a raid... you are rez'd or when you do the myrrh thing you end up at the entrance to the instance. There is no anti-FoD vendor in sight. You have a ~50 minute debuff that gimps your offense by 25%. No raid will wait for you.

palp on
  • Options
    ChuckNorrisTypeRChuckNorrisTypeR Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Looks like Miss_Sadie had some workplace issues today :(http://twitter.com/miss_shelby

ChuckNorrisTypeR on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    so this 25%-100% less offense wouldn't effect a pure healer would it? but it seems like this game doesn't really have pure healers and even the healer helps out with damage

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    dojango wrote: »

It doesn't seem to unreasonable that they try and earn some $$ from their entertainment product

Dont put words in my mouth, i never said they shouldn't charge anything. I said their current scheme is stupid. Forcing you to purchase the cash shop items to play the game makes the whole purpose of a free to play cash shop game redundant. As i said, they may as well just charge a monthly fee if they are going to rape everyone with an overpriced and forceful cash shop.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    so this 25%-100% less offense wouldn't effect a pure healer would it? but it seems like this game doesn't really have pure healers and even the healer helps out with damage

I don't think it's offense, I think it reduces your stats by 25%

mrflippy on
  • Options
    AlethiometerAlethiometer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Why aren't more people talking about this game? It's good. Like, surprisingly good. Better than Star Trek Online which I paid money for good. As engaging as WoW and free good.

I've hit level 12 after about 3 days of play, would probably go further but I'm kind of hampered by the fatigue cap and I'm unwilling to level at what amounts to half XP. I'm playing an arisen mage, and really enjoying it. I love the techno-undead theme, the complexity of the mage class with the entropy management, and the beautiful spell effects. I'm enjoying the armor and the monsters immensely. I like the weird but coherent russian feel to everything. I really like the steampunk designs. I took a ride on an Empire ship today and I'm so stoked that I'll eventually get to fly one for real, they're awesome.

Really I haven't seen anything not to like about this game. Difficulty wise it feels like WoW at launch, which isn't a bad thing. The quest text runs a bit long but the stories are compelling, the fight mechanics are deep and group fights last long enough to use them, the skill system is complex but not impossible. Overall it's just really well done. I'd pay cash dollars for it in a heartbeat.

There are two things that might be off-putting to people getting into MMO's. One: the map and quest UI is absolutely terrible. Holding down T to highlight stuff for quests is dumb and awful, and later on the quests are really vague with location info. The levelling is pretty painfully slow if you're not an MMO veteran, as well.

______

TLDR: Game is really good, better than any other recent contenders in my opinion. Ship combat and exploration in particular looks set to decimate STO's model. So where's all the conversation about it? The official forums are almost shockingly dead, this forum thread has only hit 16 pages after months of discussion. Where's the buzz?

Alethiometer on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There is some buzz but the cash shop perfume death penalty thing is putting a lot of people off. Actually the last few pages is pretty much just discussion on that.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I'm a bit reluctant to put time into the game, only to discover that at a certain point all the fun is sapped by either having to alt-tab out of the game for half an hour or spend the money I'd be saving up for a sweet item just to be able to progress further. :?

Glal on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    current russia patch (meaning it'll probably come to this version later) changed the 40min FoD at level 40 to 2hrs

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Didn't bother me. We're not talking about Cryptic here. These guys have made a seriously cool, vibrant game world with a lot of obvious effort behind it. I'm sure the cash shop prices are a mistake- I mean, the bag upgrade is what, $20 right now? That's got to be a bug.

Even if it's not, who cares- the game is free, and big, and fun. If I level to 40 and that's it, no end game because they want to milk people, oh well. The trip there will be good enough.

Alethiometer on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The kill time went down significantly since the first beta. Either that or Seers just kill shit faster; speaking of, I feel like I'm missing something with Mind Link, because a 10 second channel just to apply it? The heck?

Glal on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    current russia patch (meaning it'll probably come to this version later) changed the 40min FoD at level 40 to 2hrs

This right here has made my interest dry up almost completely.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    LostLost Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    The kill time went down significantly since the first beta. Either that or Seers just kill shit faster; speaking of, I feel like I'm missing something with Mind Link, because a 10 second channel just to apply it? The heck?

Apparently there are a couple spells that reduce that time to instant. I don't know what the spells are but I hear people talk about them all the time (I think the gibberling racial for seer's is one)

Lost on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Apparently I was looking at the wrong forum earlier. I found the real one today and man... man. Never underestimate the ability of an MMO community to flip the fuck out over every little thing. The current theory among them is that a group of sleazy Russian mobsters bought out the game company around the time that the Russian CB started, and the original development team left. Being unable to develop for the game, the company is just trying to milk every last dollar out of the game before it falls apart.

All this nonsense and the game's not even out of OB yet, damn.

On the bright side: mounts are being added! Video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C45UM-Vpp8

Alethiometer on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ahahaha what's that song? I need to link that to a horse nut I know :P

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    weebl's of course

nsfw cartoon horse winky