As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[W:I] Warhammer's invasion of your wallet.

ArfortArfort Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Critical Failures
Warhammer: Invasion is a LCG made by Fantasy Flight Games, the company that brought you Battle Star Galactica and A Game of Throne's board game. LCG stands for Living Card Games. Possibly because they realized that nearly all CCG other than magic had a tendency to die out so they decided to change the business model to something that might live. Instead of selling random packs of cards that 90% of the time you won't play, everything is preset so you know exactly what you're getting.

So contrary to the title, this game should be much CHEAPER than your average CCG.

The base set comes with 128 unique cards, some of which have one, two or three copies included in the base set for a total of 220 cards. The minimum number of cards in a deck is 50 and the maximum is 100. With one box you have enough cards to make two decent decks using the neutral cards to fill in the gaps. For league or competitive play, the maximum number of the same copy of a card allowed is 3. Most people would jump to conclusion and say that you need to purchase the base set three times to play in tournament. But really, who needs to have full sets of every single card in a card game? I'd suggest purchasing one box and if you find you really like the game and most importantly you find others who also like the game, you then split 2 boxes with somebody else that doesn't like the same factions as you do.

They also sell booster packs that contain 20 unique cards, some of which are printed 3 times for a total of 40 cards. Again, you could purchase 3 to have play sets of everything but I'd highly suggest checking the spoiler lists on the Internet first to see if the purchase is worth it. And again, if you can split the purchase with a friend everyone wins.

The game is fairly simple. You have three areas that you play units and support (buildings) into. Units can only block if they're in the area that your opponent chooses to attack. You win by destroying two of your opponent's area. Each area has 8 HP so technically you only need to deal 16 damage to win so games are about the same length as a Magic game. Units in the battlefield are the only units you can attack with. Power on supports played there have no effect. Cards in the kingdom increase your resources, which is the equivalent of mana. You start with 3 power there so at the beginning of your turn, you receive three plus the total power of your units and support cards that are in your kingdom. Your quest zone is very similar to the kingdom except it has a starting power of 1 and you draw cards equal to the amount of power that's there.

The factions are split between two sides, Order and Destruction. Each of those are then split between 3 factions, for a grand total of 6 factions. Order has the dwarves, the empire and the high elves. Destruction has chaos, green skins and dark elves. Order and Destruction cards are mutually exclusive but there are neutral cards that everyone can play. You also begin the game with a loyalty token of one faction. When you play a card, there's a extra cost that needs to be paid if you don't have as many loyalty tokens in play as that card's loyalty cost. So basically you can play empire cards in your dwarf deck, except the first one(s) you play will cost more than they would cost in an empire only deck.

Dwarfs' theme are mostly focused around repairing their areas and generally being a pain to kill.
The empire has some really good buildings and a lot of cards that aren't so great on their own but have a lot of synergy with each other. Right now, I'd say they're the "combo" faction. They're also the faction that can move their units around where they're needed.
High elves aren't really there yet. To give enough room for the other factions they've only released a few teaser cards. So far, this faction is all about healing and defence.
Chaos is all about high damage units, corrupting enemy units and then doing mean things to corrupted units. They also have a decent amount of cards that deal damage directly to enemy units.
Green skins are all about destroying lots of things. They're the faction that received magic's wrath of god. And obviously they have a lot of high power units.
Dark elves are like the high elves, they've only got teaser cards so far. I'm not quite sure what their themes are going to be. Other than being elves and kicking ass.

So the MSRP for the base set is 40$ and it's 10$ for the booster packs. But you can easily find some place that sells these for a lot less. I'd still suggest going to your FLGS (friendly local gaming store) to purchase these, especially if they start running a league and supports the game.

If you want the spoilers list of the cards you can find it on several sites.

The game is pretty fun. It's more complex than Magic but isn't too complex either. I highly recommend at least checking it out if you have a card game itch. This isn't a collectible game but it's pretty nice to have the entire set of a game like this without having to spend a ton of money. Some have said that these don't have any resale value so they actually might cost more than real ccg. In my experience, all of my hot type 2 MTG cards I used to play with 5-10 years ago aren't worth anywhere near what they used to. And that's if they're worth anything at all. I also played legends of the five rings for several years and hot cards that could be worth upward to 20$ on ebay go down to being nearly worthless as soon as they rotate out of play. So honestly I'm not concerned about the lack of a resale value. Mostly because most of these ccgs rarely have any.

This is my first time writing up an OP and I'm also French Canadian so feel free to point out typos or spelling errors.

UPDATE: FFG is changing the business model of all of their LCG. Starting with the second cycle of battle packs, they'll include 3 copies of all 20 cards for 15$. The price for the first cycle was 10$ but you only got 3 copies of 10 cards and 1 copies of 10 other cards so the cost to get a full play set of those cards was 30$. This is awesome news.

UPDATE February 26th: There will be "regional championships" April 23rd-25th and a "world championship" August 5th-8th at Gen Con Indy. Go here for more information. It's good to see the parent company supporting it's game.

Arfort on

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oof, I got rocked the other night as Orcs by Dwarves.

Was going okay for a while, got one zone burning... and then he started getting going, killing my attacking units, throwing down a pair of the Capital healing support runes, and got a pair of Gurni's Elite from Skavenblight. Those things hit like *trucks*. Wasn't able to really rally enough before he took out a second zone.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah if you play with the base set, Dwarfs are pretty good. But if you have access to 3 copies of some of the green skins cards you can build a power house that could possibly burn a zone on it's first attack. A well built chaos deck has enough creature kills to stop the green skin weenie deck but that same chaos deck mostly loses to Dwarfs or empire builders. It's a bit like rock/paper/scissor right now.

Arfort on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I guess we should use this thread for general discussion instead of the boardgame thread?

New Path of the Zealot preview article...

warhammer-invasion-card-zealot-hunter.png

Article also mentions that PotZ is supposed to drop in stores late next week.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    CrownAxeCrownAxe Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I really enjoy this game. I especially like playing the Dwarf deck (of course i also play the Dwarfs)

What are your opinions on buy multiple copies of the set to build decks freely?

CrownAxe on
    AwesomeSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yes, by all means discuss W:I in this thread.

I can't wait for PotZ to come out.

If you want to customize your deck you do need to purchase multiple copies of the set. I'd purchase a second set if you're really enjoying the game. A third set only gets you a few missing 1x cards so it's not as big a difference as purchasing your second set.

Arfort on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Found on the FFG forums when I was looking for something else:
    The War Crown of Saphery... Basha’s Bloodaxe... The Rune Fang of Solland... The forces of Order and Destruction have turned to the ancient relics of the Old World in the hope of gaining a deadly advantage in the ongoing war.

Fantasy Flight Games is pleased to announce the upcoming release of The Warpstone Chronicles! Offering an impressive array of formidable attachments with the “relic” keyword, this Battle Pack will bring new levels of excitement to your Warhammer: Invasion game.

The Warpstone Chronicles is the fifth monthly Battle Pack installment of The Corruption Cycle, the first linked expansion series for Warhammer: Invasion, a card game of intense warfare, clever kingdom management, and epic questing. This 40 card pack contains 20 different never-before-seen cards designed to augment existing decks and add variety to the Warhammer: Invasion metagame.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    o hai there, finally announced...

assault-on-ulthuan-3d-box-left.png
    Malekith's prowess is as legendary as his ultimate betrayal, but the Phoenix King and his followers will do everything in their power to oppose the vile and destructive Dark Elves.

Fantasy Flight Games is pleased to announce an upcoming expansion for Warhammer: Invasion: The Card Game, Assault on Ulthuan! This deluxe expansion brings two new factions to the forefront of the war for the Old World.

The Assault on Ulthuan expansion explores the bitter enmity between the Dark Elves and the High Elves. The Dark Elves are a cruel race who excel at taking prisoners, sacrificing them, and inflicting vast amounts of pain on enemy units through hit point reduction. This treacherous faction seeks to enslave the other races of the Warhammer world. The High Elves are a proud, powerful race who rely on card denial, cancellation, healing, and ranged attacks. They work to heal damage to the world and unlock the ancient mysteries of the arcane. Both will raise mighty kingdoms and venture out on perilous quests as they seek the power to stand victorious. Can either faction rise to dominance over the other, or will they both succumb to another foe altogether?

Assault on Ulthuan contains two core starter decks of forty cards, as well as two capital boards for the Dark Elves and High Elves. Players of the existing factions will find plenty to aid them as well; new cards for the other four factions, plus a handful of neutrals, bring a host of new strategies, tactics, and deck-building options for each of the six races in the game.

The war for supremacy over the Old World has already seen bloodshed and suffering beyond imagination... but this was only the beginning. This spring, two new forces join the invasion!

warhammer-invasion-card-dark-sorceress.png

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Not tactic or preview related but I think the art for this game is fantastic. Except that zealot hunter. His head freaks me out for some reason.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Zellpher wrote: »
    Not tactic or preview related but I think the art for this game is fantastic. Except that zealot hunter. His head freaks me out for some reason.

Read the flavor text. "Do unto evil as evil hath done unto you".
    Clearly, evil has beaten him with the ugly stick. Not content with just a beating, evil then raped him with the ugly stick, broke it in half and gave him another sound beating while a second, lesser evil joined in.

Then evil gave him a terrible hair cut.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    And this still isn't available in Sweden. :x

Found it on Amazon.de, so I might get it from there.

Echo on
  • Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just got in the Core box and first Battle Pack last night, looking forward to trying it out.

Glad to see that some of Warcry's artwork is finding a new home. Plenty of room to expand if they have the whole library of art to draw from.

Visskar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    see317 wrote: »
    Read the flavor text. "Do unto evil as evil hath done unto you".
    Clearly, evil has beaten him with the ugly stick. Not content with just a beating, evil then raped him with the ugly stick, broke it in half and gave him another sound beating while a second, lesser evil joined in.

Then evil gave him a terrible hair cut.

He looks like a petulant child, like our worst nightmare of a brainwashed fundamentalist gone mad with power.

Plus, yeah, ugly.

admanb on
  • Options
    Kevin R BrownKevin R Brown __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    ...I love this game.

It might just be a case of 'new card game on the block' syndrome, but I feel like this fixes every problem that had me ditch the M:tG scene a couple of years ago. Hassle with finding / paying for rare cards? Solved. Ridiculous economy mechanics? Solved. Rules that allowed for / encouraged finding broken loopholes & exploits? Solved.

It's awesome, it's simple, it's cheap. I'm digging this new 'living' card game idea.

Kevin R Brown on
    ' As always when their class interests are at stake, the capitalists can dispense with noble sentiments like the right to free speech or the struggle against tyranny.'
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    With no group of nerds around me where I live now, I have no one to play this with or even if I can actually get it :(

But I wants it.

I wants it so much :(

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Played my first few games of this with Eterenal, who got the Core + one of each Battle Pack. It's excellent. I like the system, I like the variety in the races, and I love the dancing visions of intricate deckbuilding with such a low initial investment. I can't see myself playing it super-competitively, but if you have a group of friends it's like Magic minus the cost of entry.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I can't really see this done at a tournament level

The game works along the lines of board games like Battlestar Galactica and Pandemic!, not TCGs like Magic: The Gathering or Yu-Gi-Oh!

CrownAxe on
    AwesomeSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    ...Really?

I found it to be remarkably like Magic, sans the hassle of collecting and the game shatteringly powerful rares (...or, for that matter, the worthless booster pack chaff). There's definitely a handful of competitive decks to be made in W:I (vs the current M:tG metagame of Jund and... uh... nothing? :P ), and I could see a small tournament scene starting up.

It'll never go 'Pro Tour' or anything, but it's not like the Pro Tour is anything other than monkey poop anyway.

"What? I'll get to sit down in a room with a bunch of fat adolescent males spending mommy and daddy's money? I'll get to play against one type of deck and enjoy the worst form of 'sportsmanship' ever offered by a group of supposedly 'professional' players? I'll get no elbow room, no chair, and offered 5 dollar hot dogs at lunch while watching fellow human beings eagerly buy-up platefuls of this questionable food and shovel it down their breathing holes while pouring ketchup into their gaping, masticating maws?

OH MY MOTHERSLAPPING CHRIST, WHERE DO I SIGN UP?"

Kevin R Brown on
    ' As always when their class interests are at stake, the capitalists can dispense with noble sentiments like the right to free speech or the struggle against tyranny.'
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    And this still isn't available in Sweden. :x

Found it on Amazon.de, so I might get it from there.

If you've still not purchased this game, I'm going to fly to Sweden box in hand and beat you with it until you're nothing but a bloody pulp! Now you have even more incentive to purchase this... if you value your life that is.

That aside, I've not played the game with the new Skavenblight pack. Just been busy with other games.

Anyone have suggestions on deck building ideas with this new pack? Is it best to just play drafts? I find the draft format actually pretty fun.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Good news, everyone! farnsworth.jpg

The FLGS finally has it in stock, so I'll pick it up the next time I'm there.

Echo on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I wish I could get some.

*cries*

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    ...Really?

I found it to be remarkably like Magic, sans the hassle of collecting and the game shatteringly powerful rares (...or, for that matter, the worthless booster pack chaff). There's definitely a handful of competitive decks to be made in W:I (vs the current M:tG metagame of Jund and... uh... nothing? :P ), and I could see a small tournament scene starting up.

It'll never go 'Pro Tour' or anything, but it's not like the Pro Tour is anything other than monkey poop anyway.

"What? I'll get to sit down in a room with a bunch of fat adolescent males spending mommy and daddy's money? I'll get to play against one type of deck and enjoy the worst form of 'sportsmanship' ever offered by a group of supposedly 'professional' players? I'll get no elbow room, no chair, and offered 5 dollar hot dogs at lunch while watching fellow human beings eagerly buy-up platefuls of this questionable food and shovel it down their breathing holes while pouring ketchup into their gaping, masticating maws?

OH MY MOTHERSLAPPING CHRIST, WHERE DO I SIGN UP?"

... this reads like the bitter rant of somebody who lost five rounds in a row to mouth-breathers. Really dude? Really?

I do agree that W:I can exist at a competitive level, though. It just doesn't (and never will) have the playerbase to sustain a Magic-level environment.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yes, really.

I went to a standard 'Pro Tour Qualifier' once, piloting a Tooth & Nail build. It did alright; I went 3 and 2.

The event was a urine stain on my memory. We were all crammed into the storage attic of a local gaming store (...whose staffers were, naturally, the owner's children) - everyone was elbow to elbow, and there weren't enough chairs, so about a third of the players got to sit on overturned garbage bins. First little douchebag I played was a real piece of work - he would make this really awkward fist-pumping gesture and victory grunt whenever he removed a permanent of mine and would all but slam his fist down on the table and swear under his breath whenever I did the same to him.

There were normal guys there too, but they were remote islands of sanity in the ocean of dysfunction.

The worst part really did come at lunch. I wasn't exaggerating; half of the people there could not figure out how to dress and eat a hot dog. They seemed to recognize that the food needed to somehow get into their guts, and that an effective route for getting there would be through their mouths - everything else about the process was apparently an enigma to them. I watched a guy literally stuff the food down his throat until he started gagging, then proceed to pour condiments into his open mouth (and, naturally, down the front of his shirt) while making awkward chewing motions.

To say the least, I wasn't eager to spend another thirty dollars to attend a qualifier ever again.

Kevin R Brown on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    LOL.

Yep. That about sums up a PTQ or any other large MtG event that isn't the pro tour. I still love going to them. You get a challenge that you don't get at an FNM or at the kitchen table.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, I actually taught my mom how to play this and she really enjoys it. Small wonders!

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh.

Oh, hey.

Some FFG/LCG news that we should be happy about.
    Since its introduction almost two years ago, the LCG (Living Card Game) format has come to be immensely successful for FFG. The core sets for each of our three LCGs are in their second printing, and sales continue their growth rate in both domestic and international markets. In fact, the first printing of A Game of Thrones: The Card Game sold out in Spain within just a few short weeks of its release! Fans around the world have enjoyed augmenting their LCG core sets with our fixed 40-card monthly packs, and have experienced the strategy of deck building without the financial strain of random card packs.

So why a change?
    We have consistently been receiving feedback that the LCG model could go from a solid success to a huge success with only one adjustment. With the greater-than-expected sales of our LCG games, FFG has been able to muster the resources to make this adjustment happen.

Today, we’re proud to announce a coming improvement in our monthly LCG expansion packs, and we think you’ll love it.

Each of our current monthly expansion packs (for all three of our LCGs) consist of 10 unique cards in single copy, and a second set of 10 unique cards in triplicate copies (for a total of 40 cards), with each expansion pack retailing for $9.95 U.S.

For players desiring maximum flexibility in deck construction, this has meant purchasing three monthly packs (for close to a $30 total retail price) and an undesirable overage of 60 cards (having nine copies, instead of three, of half the cards.) Though still an attractive solution when compared to Collectible Card Games, the LCG collation was not ideal for players. Not only that, but FFG had consistently feedback that (although LCG sales were successful) the monthly 40-card pack collation caused confusion and resistance with many otherwise-interested players.

So, in the months ahead FFG will be changing the collation of our monthly packs, adopting an approach that both existing and potential LCG customers have been requesting. Once fully implemented across all of our LCG’s, your monthly packs will include 60 cards, consisting of 20 unique cards in triplicate copy, and will retail for only $14.95!

This means with one convenient purchase, you’ll be able to acquire three copies of each new card... at less than half the current cost.

When will this change take place?
    That depends on which LCG you play. Over the next several months, we’ll be “phasing in” this improved model.

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game

The upcoming cycle Defenders of the North, which is scheduled to start shipping in January ’10, will still be released in the current (40-cards per Chapter Pack) format, but subsequent cycles will incorporate the new format described above.

Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game

Players that are currently delving into the horrific and wonderful Dreamlands Asylum Pack cycle will soon have their hands on Search for the Silver Key. The final Asylum pack in that cycle, Journey to Unknown Kadath, will follow soon thereafter. The unveiling of the next gripping Call of Cthulhu cycle is right around the corner, and will incorporate the new format.

Warhammer: Invasion The Card Game

Once all six of the Battle Packs in The Corruption Cycle have been released, the next cycle of Battle Packs will be in the new collation format announced today.

. . .

We think you’ll agree that the forthcoming improvement to LCGs is one that is wonderful for its many fans, offering more convenience at a much lower cost. As always, we thank you for your support!

If you have any questions on any of the above, you may be able to find some answers below.

Why can’t you change the upcoming packs to the new format immediately?

The production cycle for LCG packs is quite long, and FFG produces all six packs of a cycle at the same time (so that we can ship them on a consistent monthly basis.) This means that cycles that have already completed production (such as the A Game of Thrones: Defenders of the North Cycle) will still contain the 40-card format.

What about the larger special expansion releases such as Secrets of Arkham?

While Secrets of Arkham will still contain two copies of every included card, we’re looking to move most of our special expansion to a three copies of each card/set, if the scope of the expansion allows it.

What about the LCG core sets?

We believe that variety of cards in the core sets, for a varied game experience, is much more important than providing triplicate copies of all cards. The LCG core sets will therefore continue to be sold in their current format. Even the most enthusiastic players, who purchase multiple copies of the core set, will still find themselves spending less on this than the cost of a single CCG booster display.

Why didn’t you release the monthly packs this way in the first place?

For several reasons. At the time we launched the LCG format, it was important to FFG to keep the monthly decks below the $10 price point, which placed restrictions on the contents. Then we had to guess not only whether the format would be popular enough to support a long-term business, but whether the typical customer would want to purchase one or three decks (making the 40-card format a reasonable middle ground that also met our costing restrictions). As we already had successfully published several experimental Asylum Packs in the 40-card format for the Call of Cthulhu CCG, it seemed prudent to launch the LCG concept with this collation.

So why is charging half the amount of money for three copies of each card now possible when it wasn’t upon launch?

There are four primary reasons.

First, the LCG format has been so much more successful than we had planned. This higher volume has allowed FFG to recoup our fixed investment faster (design, development, testing, artwork, etc), in turn providing FFG with the opportunity to pass part of that upside along to our LCG customers.

Secondly, we believe that this new collation format will allow the LCG concept to really expand its already impressive growth, attracting even more new players, thus furthering the virtuous cycle that enabled this positive change in the first place.

Thirdly, the new format allows FFG to print 60 fewer cards and two fewer pieces of packaging than the equivalent three 40-card packs. Not only can we pass some of these savings along to players, but this approach is better for the environment.

Lastly, FFG is willing to make this investment because we believe the LCG format to be, along with board games and roleplaying games, one of the main pillars of our games business. You may note that we have recently made several important decisions towards this same effect. For example, FFG announced last week the cancellation of our two remaining Collectible Card Games, in part to allow us to focus on LCGs.

Does this mean that FFG is planning future games using the LCG format?

Of Co…. Wait, that wasn’t one of the approved questions!
    Guards! Get this guy out of here…

But….

No buts, we’re done.

tl;dr version: The monthly packs are moving to a 60-card-per-pack format, with full playsets of all the cards in them.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Niiiiiice.

admanb on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can't wait. Now no need to wonder if I really need those extra packs. Well, starting next series of course.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It makes me so happy to see the LCG format paying off for them. Brilliant.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I just updated the OP with the planned change to the battle pack model. It's awesome news.

Arfort on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That is great news; I'm finally going to get my FLGS to order this in for me so I can try it out.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Something to remember is that it doesn't start until the Corruption Cycle's all released

Since, y'know, it's all either at the printers already or on the boat back.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Fine by me.

This is fantastic stuff.

Kevin R Brown on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Something to remember is that it doesn't start until the Corruption Cycle's all released

The important idea is that the game (and really all the LCGs) is selling well enough that they can afford to offer their customers a better deal. That says the system is likely to have staying power.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ...And the other important part is that more green stuff gets to stay in my wallet. :)

Kevin R Brown on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »

The important idea is that the game (and really all the LCGs) is selling well enough that they can afford to offer their customers a better deal. That says the system is likely to have staying power.

I just picked up the starter set, in part because of this news. I like it when a company will bother to explain business realities to hobby gamers. So often they are utterly disconnected from the costs of the product. When a company actually bothers to explain why things are the way they are it increases my respect for them.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ...And the other important part is that more green stuff gets to stay in my wallet. :)

You keep Green Stuff in your wallet? How do you keep the blue and yellow from mixing?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

You keep Green Stuff in your wallet? How do you keep the blue and yellow from mixing?

nerrrrrd

So, planning to stop by the FLGS tomorrow to pick this up.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    A quandary came up recently

I as Dwarfs playing against Orcs and had burned his battlefield. Time passed and he had plenty of units in his battlefield so I attacked there hoping to destroy his units there. But he chose not to defend so all the damage went to the already burning battlefield so nothing happened.

It seems to me that this shouldn't be the case since it basically makes it impossible for me to remove those units other then defending (Other then Rangers) which gave my opponent a severe advantage. I don't have the set so i can't check the rules and i couldn't find anything in looking through his rulebook about this. Ultimately I let it go through since I couldn't find proof otherwise.

So basically can you not defend a burning capital thus taking no damage from an attack?

CrownAxe on
    AwesomeSig.jpg
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    CrownAxe wrote: »
    A quandary came up recently

I as Dwarfs playing against Orcs and had burned his battlefield. Time passed and he had plenty of units in his battlefield so I attacked there hoping to destroy his units there. But he chose not to defend so all the damage went to the already burning battlefield so nothing happened.

It seems to me that this shouldn't be the case since it basically makes it impossible for me to remove those units other then defending (Other then Rangers) which gave my opponent a severe advantage. I don't have the set so i can't check the rules and i couldn't find anything in looking through his rulebook about this. Ultimately I let it go through since I couldn't find proof otherwise.

So basically can you not defend a burning capital thus taking no damage from an attack?

That is correct. You'd want to attack one of his other areas to prevent that from happening.

Cynic Jester on