As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sim City 3000!

• Options
    Phoenix1985Phoenix1985 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    2K. My God.

Loved that so much.. the music, the feel of the game, all the constant input you got from your advisors or newspapers. All managed on some windows systems I really loathed.

3k? I honestly never figured it out as I did 2K. But then, I never got a chance to play it as much. And something about the atmosphere was a bit offputting..

Phoenix1985 on
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just what exactly is the "secret"? I've never been able to do well in any of these games. Except maybe Railroad Tycoon or Rollercoaster Tycoon...

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    The secret of sim city is really to reach over a certain population level and everything will be dandy, and you'll make insane amounts of money forever.

I can't point to anything concrete, but after an hour or two I usually start making a lot of cash and get a lot of increase to the population.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    vegas-stevenvegas-steven Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Omeks wrote: »
    This thread made me install SimCity 4. Now I have a SimItch to scratch.

Unfortunately, the damn game isn't working. When it gets to 100% install, Installshield just stops, no "Congrats! You Just Installed a Game!" message or anything. Then when I double click the icon or press play through autostart...the computer just kind of sits there...like I never did anything.

awww snap. that sucks.
    i have my copy in a box. in canada. i have backups i brought with me when i moved to the states years ago... . i just reinstalled it using a backup i have.
    the game tried to start, then didnt.
    what i did was kill the process that wouldnt run, then download and install the update from http://simcity.ea.com/update/index_update.php?product=EP1&x=45&y=12
    i used a no cd patch and it works.

i had a windows 2000 system years ago where that also happened.
    sucks.
    i wont say where to find the no cd but try it after you install the update from ea, maybe it will work?

vegas-steven on
    Las Vegas Youtube page with lots of useless videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/vegassteven
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I accidentally stole SimCity 3000 from a roommate. Not as fun as I remember 2000 being.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For shits and giggles:

SimCity 2000 LP
    SimCity 3000 LP

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My father frequently got computers from other africans so we would have 1. 1 came with simcity2k and my family played the hell out of it. I know I stopped playing when I saw the grid when I closed my eyes.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fuck this thread and what it's done to me.

Wangeville.jpg

Seriously.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That's a whole lot of sprawl

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Game still looks quite good too.

xzzy on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    spamming my own thread. sorry

dawn of discovery (anno 1404) looks crazy. man... i wish my computer would run it. it requires a 3ghz cpu alone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIKbikgiyiw

"THIS IS MY WONDERFUL CITY"

He says as part of it burns.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Lindsay Bluth FunkeLindsay Bluth Funke Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    leaf wrote: »
    Fuck this thread and what it's done to me.

Wangeville.jpg

Seriously.

Thinking of all the hours of my youth I wasted playing this game (and some of those other sim games too) makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. *le sigh*

That picture makes me want to forgo sleep to play the game. Too bad my attention has been diverted to the new TF2 update.

Lindsay Bluth Funke on
    Live free or die
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Can someone give me a rundown of the differences between Sim City 3000 and Sim City 4000?

Henroid on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Leaf...that picture is not helping me.

Alright screw it I'm reinstalling.

Henroid, it's been so long since I've played either that I can't honestly adequately relate the differences to you. I remember that 4 was rather divisive and some said it went too far with its changes. I also remember it not running really well at launch, and being bummed out at the lack of three dimensional space to play with. I think there's still room for a new amazing 3D Sim City game, and from what I've heard CitiesXL sadly wasn't it.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I never tried 4 since my computer can't run it, and I like 3k because I can still run it on my laptop and it doesn't require a connection. I was in the beta for citiesXL but I seriously could not figure it out. My roommate tried playing it as he got into the beta, and he couldn't really figure it out either.

I sorta cheated in this city, I mean I was clearing about 80k a year and once I noticed I had over a million I said screw it, I bet I can fill the entirety of the map in one go. So I paused it, layed out grids, all the required infrastructure, education/police/fire, did all the zoning and then watched it fill itself out in a few years. After the spending spree I was down to maybe 100k, but now I clear about 150k each year and see nothing short of cataclysmic disasters being able to slow the city down. Even the demand for each district is usually 3/4 full, though I am playing on medium difficulty.

I think I could really have done without the highway, but it does give a nice place to drop down light industrial as a buffer zone and shorten commute times. I am always enthralled by the prospect of subway/rail system, but the upkeep for the damn things just wrecks your income for no noticable gains.

I am thinking of raising the ocean like R'lyeh for more building space though. Wish there were sea monster disasters, where all becomes joy and dancing and murder, and they teach your sims new ways to experience joy and murder, under the glare of a gibbous moon.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    leaf wrote: »

I think I could really have done without the highway, but it does give a nice place to drop down light industrial as a buffer zone and shorten commute times. I am always enthralled by the prospect of subway/rail system, but the upkeep for the damn things just wrecks your income for no noticable gains.

Yeah, these games are pretty realistic. :)

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Can someone give me a rundown of the differences between Sim City 3000 and Sim City 4000?

Sim City 3000 is a game
    Sim City 4 requires degrees in civil engineering, sociology, economics and town planning.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    BigDes wrote: »

Sim City 3000 is a game
    Sim City 4 requires degrees in civil engineering, sociology, economics and town planning.

SC4 has some really neat features.. region play, lots of street types (especially with the expansion), hills (not the first sim city with hills, but definitely the best), the 'my sim' feature so you can analyze traffic and route optimization, and cool bonus buildings (that is, when your city meets certain criteria you get some neat landmarks you can build, from a statue of the mayor, to a military base).

That said, it does have some niggling flaws. It has "demand caps" where demand for your RCI zones will flatline for no discernible reason, due to insufficient population. Traffic simulation is annoying.. sims use a simple shortest path detection, which means they'll get stuck on a tiny road when there's a highway right next to them. Commercial zone success is based on traffic congestion, which means if you want a successful downtown, you're basically stuck with traffic complaints.

But I think overall it's the best simcity we ever got. If you love the planning and optimization aspects of making a city, there's a lot to like.

xzzy on
  • Options
    KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    Commercial zone success is based on traffic congestion, which means if you want a successful downtown, you're basically stuck with traffic complaints.
    Is it really based on congestion rather than volume?

Wow, that's stupid. I love SC4, but I really wish we could get a proper sequel to fix some of the more idiotic elements.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I supposed I worded it badly. It's based on volume, but to get enough traffic to get the best skyscrapers, you need so much traffic that every road you can build will be 100% congested.

xzzy on
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think nostalgia (or exemption) is obscuring how great of an improvement SC3k is over SC2k.

What SC2k had that SC3k didn't:

Arcologies
    Newspapers (would be a bigger plus if they didn't repeat so often)
    Hydroelectric dams
    Commercial control (...maybe? It didn't really seem to do much for me)
    A few disaster types (hurricanes come to mind)
    Expansion games (SimCopter, Streets of SimCity).

What SC3k had that SC2k didn't (although not exhaustive, since my giant book is about 5000 miles away):

Garbage hauling
    Gradiated landscapes (much more workable if you used an external editor)
    More versatile tunnels, road construction, powerline construction
    More zone densities with varying transporation requirements based on zone type/ordinances
    Sweet graphs and charts that SC4 totally botched
    Useful neighbor deals and special buildings
    Landmark buildings
    Better music and graphics and building variety
    Bigger city sizes (and you could actually import your SC2k cities; you'd only lose hydro dams and arcos)
    Importable USGS grayscale topographical maps for real geographic terrain
    Useless farms
    Less useless public transportation options
    Petitioners, deals and news items that let you know when stuff is actually wrong

I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a bit; I haven't actually played SC2k for about 15 years. My SC3k came with a giant book that goes in depth listing off the simulation differences between the two (mostly additions of SC3k) and it takes up like 1/5 of a 250 page book. Thing was a beast.

SC4 on the other hand...it dropped so much of the good stuff from SC3k and added an abundance of micromanagement and other crap.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SC4 was more complicated for sure.

but ironically it made it easier to make successful cities.

I just wish I could run SC4, It does not like my current set up for some reason and runs very poorly

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    SC4 on the other hand...it dropped so much of the good stuff from SC3k and added an abundance of micromanagement and other crap.

Which is why I think I liked it so much.. micromanaging a city? Yes please!

I've spent the years since SC4 launched, hoping SC5 would have even more micromanagement. Hours spent tweaking transportation until it's perfect, segregating industrial from residential areas so people are happy, optimizing effect areas from schools and fire departments.. I find it huge fun. I want more of it!

xzzy on
  • Options
    KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What I want is a Sim City with more political elements. Tangle with the City Council for increased density! Balance the city budget but make sure your service cuts and/or tax increases don't lose you reelection! Build a political machine where you and your cronies can engage in the time honored past time of honest graft!

Kanamit on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kanamit wrote: »
    What I want is a Sim City with more political elements. Tangle with the City Council for increased density! Balance the city budget but make sure your service cuts and/or tax increases don't lose you reelection! Build a political machine where you and your cronies can engage in the time honored past time of honest graft!

A Sim City that played like the Mayor's story in The Wire would be awesome.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    alexanderswangalexanderswang Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SC3000 is really a wonderful version of Sim City series , I first played the game four years ago , I still like it very much now .

alexanderswang on
    There is always a way.
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Sim City 3000 is a game

I have a highschool diploma, where does that put me?

Henroid on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Sim City 3000 is a game

The Sims

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Sim City 3000 is a game

I have one of those too, and SC4 was fine. But I have the patience to sit through bullshit until I figure it out. I, for example, love the shit out of dwarf fortress and X3.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Sim City 3000 is a game

The Sims

Wow, good answer.

Henroid on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Sim City 3000 is a game

The Sims

Wow, good answer.

I have a GED, do I have to play the Wii version?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

Sim City 3000 is a game

The Sims

Wow, good answer.

*hands TheStig some weebles*

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

Sim City 3000 is a game

The Sims

Wow, good answer.

Harvest Moon.

Henroid on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SC4's biggest gameplay change was in city services. you CAN'T build schools, police stations, water pumps and the like at the very beginning. You will bankrupt yourself. In that sense it has a more real organic growth to it than the previous games. You start out a small, uneducated and unpoliced village that relies mostly on farming and some dirty industry, and then you grow. You end up having areas that are great, well educated, clean, lots of police and fire, and then you have the slums.

I personally find it to be the best version of Sim City. Especially after the expansion and then the transportation mod on top of it. I just wish map editing and importing was easier. Let me generate the terrain on the entire region, not just on the cities one at a time!

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    webguy20 wrote: »
    SC4's biggest gameplay change was in city services. you CAN'T build schools, police stations, water pumps and the like at the very beginning. You will bankrupt yourself. In that sense it has a more real organic growth to it than the previous games. You start out a small, uneducated and unpoliced village that relies mostly on farming and some dirty industry, and then you grow. You end up having areas that are great, well educated, clean, lots of police and fire, and then you have the slums.

I personally find it to be the best version of Sim City. Especially after the expansion and then the transportation mod on top of it. I just wish map editing and importing was easier. Let me generate the terrain on the entire region, not just on the cities one at a time!

Yeah, pretty much. With SC3k it was mostly a matter of slapping down everything you needed for a tiny city, letting it grow, slapping down the next set of services, etc, until you had a city larger than Mumbai. With SC4 it's all about tradeoffs and balancing, trying to keep everything happy and working while at the same time spending enough money on growth.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The biggest thing holding me back from playing is that I don't want to have to go find and insert the CD every time I want to play, and then leave the CD in the whole time.

II tried copying the disk to my HD and installing from there ages ago, but the installer just looked for the CD drive rather than installing from the launch location.

I don't know if game developers ever stopped with that stupid "protection" scheme because I stopped playing video games around 2003.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    webguy20 wrote: »

You can do this. It does require you to make a special bmp file that sells simcity how to divide your imported terrain into regions, kind of tricky, but there's zillions of tutorials out there if you do a little digging.

xzzy on
  • Options
    PaperPrittPaperPritt Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ok someone HAS to tell me.

For Sim City 2000, was i just completely tripping or ...
    at the end , if you had enough arcologies, they would actually LAUNCH INTO SPACE ?!

because that was like, one of my best moments in gaming, ever. I remenber just staring at my screen, slightly drooling over how awesomely cool it was.

Or was i just high? pleaaaase let me know the truth!

PaperPritt on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Those rocket engines on the side aren't just for show.

MKR on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SC3k is my favorite SimCity. I thought it had just enough complexity to be fun, but not enough that it becomes a chore. I didn't really care for SC4 at all, but I haven't really given it a lot of play time.

And wasn't there a big mod for SC4:RH that fixed a lot of problems with transportation?

Sir Carcass on