As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Etrian Odyssey 3 - Wind Waker edition!

• Options
    MihashiMihashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Heeeeeey, does the double thing work on Nine Smashes? A club gladiator + arbalist might be interesting! Especially if that front mortar thing works without a crossbow.

It does. As long as the attack skill targets one enemy only, Double Action will add a hit when activated. So yes, there is a chance you can get in 10 hits when you use Nine Smashes.

Mihashi on
    MihashiBonne.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, they carefully planned out that skill it seems. I thought it made actions totally repeat. Well, Double Action is still nice. I don't have it high enough to be a reliable proc but I see the potential.

Henroid on
  • Options
    CoercionistCoercionist Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mihashi wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Heeeeeey, does the double thing work on Nine Smashes? A club gladiator + arbalist might be interesting! Especially if that front mortar thing works without a crossbow.

It does. As long as the attack skill targets one enemy only, Double Action will add a hit when activated. So yes, there is a chance you can get in 10 hits when you use Nine Smashes.

Interacting like that, it ends up being largely useless I would think. Seeing as it would take 21(!) skill points in useless crossbow skills just to get 1 point in Double Action. Of course, if it worked by causing a second Nine Smashes, it would be borderline broken and be worth every skill point.

I haven't subclassed my Glad yet, but Ninja seems the most promising out of everything. Passive evasion would help survivability alot when using a high level Berserker Vow, plus the TP gain on evading definitely doesn't hurt.

Coercionist on
    Pokemon Black FC: 3653 9907 8515
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    B12F:
    Holy fucking shit moles!

Henroid on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay, so I'm still on the first floor of this damn thing. Just how picky is this damn guard? Does he expect me to fill out EVERY square you can access on the map? Does he expect me to label now empty chests, resting spots, etc.?

WHY CAN'T THIS GAME BE SIMPLE!? *SOB*

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    it's based on stepping on floor tiles. you're missing a secret room.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    it's based on stepping on floor tiles. you're missing a secret room.

So... I don't have to mark down all the walls...? If the answer is no, then I'm gonna be pissed...

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Believe me, you're going to want to mark down every single fucking wall you come across. You never know.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    mark walls, never color a floor, let the auto color in do that for you.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    mark walls, never color a floor, let the auto color in do that for you.

Color pain and slow tiles. You'll thank yourself later if you do.

Slow tiles were a great addition.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Believe me, you're going to want to mark down every single fucking wall you come across. You never know.

But I hate marking waaaaalls. No seriously. FUCK WALLS.

*Turns* "That a wall?...Yep *marks it down*

"Well, if that was a wall, logically, there would be a wall to the left of me, right?" *marks map prematurely*

*Goes back later and notices inconsistency*

"FFFFFFFF"

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    but that's a kinda joy/love/hate reason why i play the game

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Marking walls means you check walls, sometimes rooms have exits that are hard to see in corners, and checking walls is a good way to look for secret passages.

Finding secret passages even from behind is a good deal. One way secret passages don't leave the message that you can't pass that way, so now you know where the secret passage is and can mark it.

Marking events is also a good idea. Sometimes you find events before you find the quests needed to activate them.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, you can usually look in a direction and get the idea of what walls / turns there are. I always mark walls. But I inspect every step my first time through an area. So if I look down a corridor and see an S shape, I'll draw it out, but I'll look in every direction, every step, to make sure secrets are or aren't present. If there are, I drag an arrow marker in. Not so bad.

Also with coloring floor tiles, I use colors to mark the danger involved usually. In the case of EO3, yellow tiles are for FOE paths or general aggro-spots for red FOEs. Red I use for damage tiles or the mud tiles in stratum 1 that happen to be in FOE paths (to remind myself of extra danger of FOE encounter).

I need some help understanding the forging system.

Just now, I tested out my gladiator's current sword with having 1 ice forge vs. having 3 ice forges. And frankly there was no damage increase period. Or was there something else I wasn't noticing?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    aka, mark everything except blue floors made from autowalking

i think i might use the toher floor colors to mark rivers and whatever those holes are. that's new to me

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The only time I've colored tiles I haven't walked on is when there's obvious nowhere-spots of damage tiles. Like 3x3 spots of damage tiles not next to any walls. Okay, I can go around that motherfucking mess for now!

... Firefox recognizes motherfucking as a word!

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I'm not saying I entirely hate it...

This game makes me feel like a victim of domestic abuse. It beats me every fucking way possible and beats the shit out of half of the things I consider "normal" about JRPGs, but I still come back for more, though battered, bruised, and crying myself to sleep as a result... at least that's what I expect will happen by the end of the night.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I also used the auto walk arrows to mark the currents in stratum 2.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I used the regular big, clear arrows to mark the currents. Left them there when I stopped that shit, except for the ones that got in the way of my autopilot pathing.

Henroid on
  • Options
    LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, managed to use Formaldehyde on the second boss as well.
    Buccaneer only armor, 253,000. I don't have my DS handy at the moment so I can check for exact stats later if anyone cares, but it will give my Buccaneer significantly higher defense than even my Hoplite.

Lachrymite on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's amazing that now I've beaten the third boss and yet the F.O.E.s on level 9 can still whoop on me given the chance.

They are probably the hardest Orange FOEs in the series.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I'm not saying I entirely hate it...

This game makes me feel like a victim of domestic abuse. It beats me every fucking way possible and beats the shit out of half of the things I consider "normal" about JRPGs, but I still come back for more, though battered, bruised, and crying myself to sleep as a result... at least that's what I expect will happen by the end of the night.

Of course, back in the day we use to call this Wizardary.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    With diablo ii skill trees instead of D&D crap.

and graph paper you can't lose.

and a much more interesting equipment system.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    With diablo ii skill trees instead of D&D crap.

and graph paper you can't lose.

and a much more interesting equipment system.

True that. But bloody hell XoB, your not kidding. The previous FOEs were easy to level past. I swear this bastards scale this time around. Ugh.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's got a lot to do with the 4 levels per stratum. Accelerates the game a bit. That and the 5 free skill points you get. They want you to suffer.

That and the particular one I fret about has a nasty attack pattern.
    He'll either attack single targets, defend, or do target all, random bind to everyone (Head based) You can mitigate that damage with some buffs but the constant binding gets annoying FAST. Might want to invest in some anti binding items or skills. Pretty easy to run around though where they appear. Weak to fire.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There's a lot of important information in this thread (clever skill combinations, conditional drops, etc.). Is the OP alive? Could we get that added?

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Minor BF4 quest question:
    Is there a best spot to mine Devilfish for the fish-killing contest? I've fought 50+ monsters, alright, and not a one has been a devilfish so far.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Try near the rivers. If it's like previous EOs, each 'tile' has 5 different mobs loaded on it and when an encounter initiates it just picks one. They're more common near the rivers.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    CoercionistCoercionist Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Easiest way to do it is to just find an encounter with a Devilfish near the river, and then just grind the 50 off of the Fanged Fish it will continuously summon.

Coercionist on
    Pokemon Black FC: 3653 9907 8515
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Easiest way to do it is to just find an encounter with a Devilfish near the river, and then just grind the 50 off of the Fanged Fish it will continuously summon.

Ahhhhhh - smart! Now to find a Devilfish.

Fishy, fishy, fishy fish. Such an eluuusive fishy.
    suchanelusivefishy.jpg

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Man I wish I had the photoshop skills to fancy up my EO3 icons.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, I haven't been able to play all that much, but I'm around level 6, carting around the second floor, and I'm not all that satisfied in my party. I'm rolling PWH/AZ - but between the fact that we seem to lack killing power and that Wriggle (my prince) seems to have a magnet in his face so I never can get the passive healing to stick and therefore I need to rely on Medicas, it's just not being cost-effective at all.

Out of curiosity: when do you get to subclass? Because I'm honestly thinking a Monk subclassed to Prince for the passives would work pretty neatly (for one, the Monk's class skill would increase the passive healing too)...

Also, on noticing that all my team seems to be full of Thrust damage, I'm kind of wondering whether to get a Buccanneer in place of the Zodiac and Chase Thrust like it was going out of style...

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    End of 2nd Stratum.

If you're gonna stick with you Prince, get Monarchic March ASAP

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    Jormi_BocedJormi_Boced Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Still just exploring the 2nd Floor. My main cast of characters (Female Gla , Female Hop, Princess, Male Arb, Male Zodiac) are around level 7 - 8, still can't fight the FOEs though.

Also working on the quest for the owner of Napier's Firm. Where on the second floor is it?

Which quest was that? The Gigapede leg one? Just run around B2F at night and you will get the leg.

I am not finding a way around the FOEs on B2F. What am I misssing?

Jormi_Boced on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If it's the one for the flowers, you get them from the gather points.

What FOEs are those? There's one that you can't get around, but there's a way behind him later one.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No, that'll be the Small Flowers which can be Taken from B2F.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This wasn't released in Europe, was it?

I don't think this was released in Europe. Again.

Goddamnit. At least it won't cost an arm and a leg like EO2.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This game is taunting the hell out of me. In the minimal efforts of restricting my ballooning backlog, I've told myself that I'm not allowed to play it until I beat Minish Cap. I'm getting close, but the clarion call of EO brutalization is tugging at my soul.

Artereis on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    End of 2nd Stratum.

If you're gonna stick with you Prince, get Monarchic March ASAP

Yeah, I'm trying to reach, but that's still like five levels away, need to put four more points in Triumphant Cry beforehand...
    Blurbl wrote: »
    This wasn't released in Europe, was it?

I don't think this was released in Europe. Again.

Goddamnit. At least it won't cost an arm and a leg like EO2.

Nope. No release for us, no awesome preorder goodies for us, etcetera. Atlus hates us Euros, didn't you know? I'm still technically waiting for my own copy...

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Okay I dunno why everyone is whining about Narmer so much. He's perfectly doable with a level 9-11 team.

Pureauthor on
This discussion has been closed.