Options

Aliens contacted Norway.

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wish I could've seen that live. I relish potential "HEY GUYS! WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!" moments.

Seriously, though, wonder what it is.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey guys why don't I see a different angle of the moon from L.A. as someone would see from NYC?

Conspiracy? Is this The Truman Show?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Huh. the comments on that article is pretty much exactly this thread

one loon and alot of people mocking him

the goof is out there

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    InkSplat wrote: »
    The blue green beam is most definitely a lens flare. No really.

It is extremely dark so they must have cranked exposure time up to over 9000. It's a lens flare, an artifact.

Actually, the video posted that is a demonstration of how a rocket spirals also has the blue spiral in the center, and that is a computer generated thing, so its definitely not a lens flare.

The blue spiral in the CG simulation is the path where the particle emitter has travelled.

But the spiral in the photographs is nearly identical. How does a lens flare reproduce that exact effect? (honest question.)

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the russians have said they fired a rocket in all the ways a military say they fire rockets. They told our military so they wouldn't loose their shit, and they said to stay out of the area. You're not going to see a statement from the russians for some time.

But not like we need one. We all know this is just the fury of Thor.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    That doesn't look like a rocket to me
    But it looks nothing like any rocket I've ever heard about before.
    How often have you seen military rockets go out of control, fucktard?

Kagera on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    alright sniperguy i don't hate you and i'm not mad at you.

i'm just saying "lol aliens" is pretty much never a valid explanation until every single natural explanation has been shown to be impossible.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MikeMan wrote: »

i'm just saying "lol aliens" is pretty much never a valid explanation until every single natural explanation has been shown to be impossible.

But what if the aliens caused the natural explanation? huh? HUH!?

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

>.>

<.<

MikeMan on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

ffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuu

Arch on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Using google maps, and the power of looking at Trondelag and Finnmark, it's around 1500 kilometers of area that people could see it from. That's a biiiig area.

Also, if no one in sweden saw it, I'll be very confused.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So aliens traveled at least interstellar distances to give the Norwegians a light show.

Those are some nice aliens.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Seriously, google map from Trondelag to Finnmark. It's a bigass area. And there's more sweden in there than Norway.

I'm assuming the swedes could see it too. But I haven't heard anything about it.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    So aliens traveled at least interstellar distances to give the Norwegians a light show.

Those are some nice aliens.

you're welcome

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Using google maps, and the power of looking at Trondelag and Finnmark, it's around 1500 kilometers of area that people could see it from. That's a biiiig area.

Also, if no one in sweden saw it, I'll be very confused.

Like at most two people live in the area of Sweden that corresponds to those places and the area between them.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aliens, my ass. My money's on Disney. I mean, have you seen their fireworks/light shows?

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gyral wrote: »
    Aliens, my ass. My money's on Disney. I mean, have you seen their fireworks/light shows?
    If that's the case all the sites posting pictures of it would already be receiving takedown notices.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

What conclusion are you coming to? Things high in the sky can be seen from a far distance?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

What conclusion are you coming to? Things high in the sky can be seen from a far distance?
    but only if they're made by aliens

Bama on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I've only heard of people in Norway having seen it. No reports from other places. Which is kinda weird, given the huge area it covers.

Also, with that massive of an area that people could see it being that huge from, would a rocket be able to be seen like that over hundreds of kilometers?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    LineNoizLineNoiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I've only heard of people in Norway having seen it. No reports from other places. Which is kinda weird, given the huge area it covers.

Also, with that massive of an area that people could see it being that huge from, would a rocket be able to be seen like that over hundreds of kilometers?
    If the rocket was out over the ocean, yes. See the border between Sweden and Norway on the google map? That brown terrain stuff is called a mountain. Mountains are big and tend to block things seen on the other side of said mountains.

LineNoiz on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

1. The line between those two points seem to cut away about 1/55th of Sweden's area. So no, not most of Sweden.

2. Two people in Sweden live there, seriously. (Almost seriously, anyway, nobody lives there really).

3. Those are the mountains, views can be obscured.

4. What are you getting at?

Honk on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ACSIS WAS RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited December 2009

1. The line between those two points seem to cut away about 1/55th of Sweden's area. So no, not most of Sweden.

2. Two people in Sweden live there, seriously. (Almost seriously, anyway, nobody lives there really).

Ignore the blue line. You're looking at how people as far away as those two points could see it. So i'm guessing it was somewhere in the middleish. Thus, lots of people in sweden could theoretically see it. Unless it was in the ocean and far enough down the horizon to be blocked by mountains.

But again, all speculation.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    sweden_pop_1973.jpg

As has already been said, its dark forests and white mountains up there, not people.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

nooooooooooo

my sciences!

Arch on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Ignore the blue line. You're looking at how people as far away as those two points could see it. So i'm guessing it was somewhere in the middleish. Thus, lots of people in sweden could theoretically see it. Unless it was in the ocean and far enough down the horizon to be blocked by mountains.

It was in the ocean.

It was a sub-based ICBM test launch.

They don't do those right by the shore.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh and this may or may not be relevant, but I just discovered it. Some scientist in indonesia spotted something similar around the same time. http://www.universetoday.com/2009/12/09/weird-giant-spiral-seen-in-sky-over-norway/

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aliens are all around us. Chances are it was a V who launched the rocket.

Yar on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Or none of the five people living there bothered to call in.

http://lib.utexas.edu/maps/europe/sweden_pop_1973.jpg
    See the part to the west? Less than five people per square mile.

Now compare it to Norway:
    http://lib.utexas.edu/maps/europe/norway_pop_1971.jpg

Couscous on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh and this may or may not be relevant, but I just discovered it. Some scientist in indonesia spotted something similar around the same time. http://www.universetoday.com/2009/12/09/weird-giant-spiral-seen-in-sky-over-norway/
    Similar in as much as it was a visible phenomenon presumably occurring within our atmosphere.

Bama on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    B:L wrote: »
    ...Uzumaki?

This is exactly what I thought.

Those poor, poor Norwegians.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    As much as I hate to be picky, those maps are from 40 years ago. It may still be like that but that just bugs me.

Given how far it went in Norway, no one thinks it hit a population center in sweden?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Alright. Well it was most definitely out over the ocean, and if it was at a parallel between those two places and out over the ocean then it would probably not be seen too far into Sweden. Because it would've been too far away. Also the mountains are a factor. For obvious reasons in the northern hemisphere you would rather live on the southern side of a mountain slope. And that place is packed with low valleys and high tops, literally hundreds of them. And the area is very depopulated compared to the rest of the country.

But someone will surely have seen it there too.

Honk on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Arch wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »

nooooooooooo

my sciences!
    It was all for nothing, Arch.

All of the independent human development. In the end, we're all just monkeys, staring at lights in the sky.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    As much as I hate to be picky, those maps are from 40 years ago. It may still be like that but that just bugs me.

Given how far it went in Norway, no one thinks it hit a population center in sweden?

It would likely have been too far away to have been seen anywhere near the coast of the Baltic even if we were to disregard the mountains.

So pretty surely no, maybe what 70% or more of our population lives far longer south than that and that way up north you only have people living near the sea. The whole border to Norway is basically tiny villages and ski resorts. The further north the less people.

Honk on
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Population centers up their grow smaller all the time, we rely less and less on the wood or steel coming from such places for our economy so people move away. Still chances are our space center up in Kiruna might have seen it, but chances are they knew better then to set their hair on fire.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Have you tried doing the fucking math asshole?

You haven't have you?

Do the math, taking the altitude, velocity, weather conditions, and size of the rocket and see how fair it's trail would be able to be seen, THEN tell me how likely/unlikely it would be.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Kagera wrote: »

Have you tried doing the fucking math asshole?

You haven't have you?

Do the math, taking the altitude, velocity, weather conditions, and size of the rocket and see how fair it's trail would be able to be seen, THEN tell me how likely/unlikely it would be.

See, we don't know any of that, nor where it was. I'm just saying it looks likely to me, but given everyone elses massive "no, no one lives there" then I guess they wouldn't have seen it.

But thanks for calling me an asshole! And the profanity is just great, because if there's one thing that's awesome, it's cursing angrily at someone who's just trying to nicely discuss the issue!

SniperGuy on