As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MLB] Greatest Owner of All Time Dead at 80; Greatest Stadium Announcer at 99.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nats are 9-1 the first ten games of the season and Dongs McKensie has 15 home runs.

And my starting ERA is 1.87

Time to up the difficulty again

But if I let the team simulate any game they are fucked

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    FortyTwo wrote: »
    simo wrote: »
    the thing is, they can live with a 4.6 era if they're getting 200+ innings (which he's done for 10 straight years)

all they need out of that spot in the rotation is dependability. at worst, vasquez gives them that. at best, he's a top 10 pitcher in the al. either way i think it's a steal (this is a testament to how mediocre melky is more than anything)

Which furthers my point that the NY Y minor league system is horrendously over-rated and hasn't produced anything other than middling talent since 1995. I'll give them Cano, but eventually that is going to bite them in the ass.

Two Hundred Million Dollars

Yes, this is very true. But sooner or later, someone will get injured, a free-agent signing will bust and they will be unable to move such a huge contract. What is CC pops a ligament? What is AJ tears a cuff? If there is one thing that the Yankees have been extremely fortunate with it has been the lack of significant injuries to their team during their reign.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    simo wrote: »
    the thing is, they can live with a 4.6 era if they're getting 200+ innings (which he's done for 10 straight years)

all they need out of that spot in the rotation is dependability. at worst, vasquez gives them that. at best, he's a top 10 pitcher in the al. either way i think it's a steal (this is a testament to how mediocre melky is more than anything)

Which furthers my point that the NY Y minor league system is horrendously over-rated and hasn't produced anything other than middling talent since 1995. I'll give them Cano, but eventually that is going to bite them in the ass.

Two Hundred Million Dollars

Yes, this is very true. But sooner or later, someone will get injured, a free-agent signing will bust and they will be unable to move such a huge contract. What is CC pops a ligament? What is AJ tears a cuff? If there is one thing that the Yankees have been extremely fortunate with it has been the lack of significant injuries to their team during their reign.

You mean like our 19 game winner going down for two years, losing both our starting catcher and backup for about a month, not having our star third baseman for a month last year.

Those kinds of injuries?

Because if you're talking about the Mets kind of injuries no one can really compete after that.

That and if the yankees lose a hitter it's not a big deal. But Chien-Ming Wang was a two time 19 winner who was crippled due to injuries. That wasn't exactly a fun loss.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Cornell002Cornell002 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    We are going to steal Jason Bay. So awesome

Cornell002 on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nats are 9-1 the first ten games of the season and Dongs McKensie has 15 home runs.

And my starting ERA is 1.87

Time to up the difficulty again

But if I let the team simulate any game they are fucked

Barry Bombs hit like 75 home runs in a 30-game season last time I played one in 2k9.

Oh, and Tim Lincecum averaged about 20 strikeouts.

jwalk on
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cornell002 wrote: »
    We are going to steal Jason Bay. So awesome

Well, you will have to literally steal him - he just signed with the Mets

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4779416

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    and he will make 16.5 million a year. That's so New York Mets

Cornell002 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yes what the hell did you think you would get Bay for exactly

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Schide on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Schide wrote: »

The Big Unit is going on tour with Soundgarden.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So apparently the best second baseman of the past thirty years isn't a first ballot hall of famer

also five fucking blank ballots (one being Jay "I'm a Fame Hag" Marriotti

Fucking cunts

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2010
    yeah I know, it fucking sucks that ryne sandberg didn't go in first ballot...

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Quiet cubbie

Go back in your hole

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jay Marriotti should be cleansed in fire. Woody Paige for life!

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    look I will agree to disagree about who is the better second baseman

but ryne sandberg totally should have been in on the first ballot

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Woody Paige for life!

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Fucking baseball writers

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Blyleven should have been in a long time ago but he should get in next year. Alomar might too but he'll eventually get in.

What this really shows is just how ridiculous Hall of Fame voting is in baseball, but that's been done to death so it's not really worth getting into.

Schide on
  • Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bert just missed by five fucking votes

shit sucks

he better get in next year

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    what did tim raines do to make baseball writers so dang mad

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well anyone in the past who got over 70% (but less than 75% required to get in) has always gotten in eventually, so that's probably good news for both players.

jwalk on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man Jay Mariotti should not be allowed to vote at a local wet t-shirt contest let alone the MLB Hall of Fame ballot.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    1998 still ruled. None of this bullshit makes that home run race less exciting in retrospect.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    "I hid it from everybody" uh... wow, really Mark? Did you really?

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    in other news, the cubs hired greg maddux as a special assistant to the GM
    Maddux's duties will include helping with instruction for both major-leaguers and minor-leaguers during spring training, as well as scouting duties throughout the season.

According to a source with knowledge of the signing, Maddux will be at the beck and call of Hendry during the season to evaluate minor-league affiliates and give the general manger input when trades or free-agent signings are being considered

this is pretty damned good news for the cubs in my book

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Who the fuck is Aubrey Huff?

jwalk on
  • Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jwalk wrote: »
    Who the fuck is Aubrey Huff?

That's Astro and Oriole legend Aubrey Huff to you.

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Decent bat (before last year) below average glove guy with no speed.

Hopefully you just got him as a bench/backup player because he should be pretty good in that role.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think he's supposed to start at 1B or maybe the outfield actually.

That's our Sabean, dumpster diving with the best of em!

They still don't even have a catcher.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Do you want Jose Molina?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Houston signed Brett Myers. What's this? The Astros signing a big-name pitcher? Zuh?

Marth on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    who's that

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wikipedia wrote:
    On June 23, 2006, Myers was arrested and charged with assault after witnesses saw him punching his wife, Kim Myers, on a downtown Boston street, after an argument. The Phillies received criticism from some media members and women's organizations for not benching Myers. Myers took a short leave of absence from the team. During a pre-trial hearing on October 5, 2006, Kim Myers indicated that she did not want her husband prosecuted, and despite the prosecutor's insistence of filing charges, the case was dismissed. The couple has been in marriage counseling since the arrest.

Marth on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    bitch probably deserved it

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2010
    my quizzo team name for most of that year was "Brett Myers Right Hook"

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Marth wrote: »
    Wikipedia wrote:
    On June 23, 2006, Myers was arrested and charged with assault after witnesses saw him punching his wife, Kim Myers, on a downtown Boston street, after an argument. The Phillies received criticism from some media members and women's organizations for not benching Myers. Myers took a short leave of absence from the team. During a pre-trial hearing on October 5, 2006, Kim Myers indicated that she did not want her husband prosecuted, and despite the prosecutor's insistence of filing charges, the case was dismissed. The couple has been in marriage counseling since the arrest.

he refused to pitch in Boston if the Phillies had played the Sox in the 2008 WS because the crowd gives him such crap about it

Cornell002 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    jwalk on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    THIS JUST IN

THE METS ARE A BAD ORGANIZATION

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    FOXSports writer Tracy Ringolsby has called who will be the last place teams in the league next year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/projected-MLB-cellar-dwellers-for-2010-season?GT1=39002
    First place in the six divisions is up for debate.

Last place, however, is a slam dunk. Mark it down now.

Last place still belongs to the Royals in the AL Central, Oakland in the AL West, Toronto in the AL East, Washington in the NL East, Pittsburgh in the NL Central and San Diego in the NL West.

He then goes to recap why all the teams have been historically bad without any real insight into future prospects or the status of possible last-place competition in each division.

NotASenator on
This discussion has been closed.