As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] : Are you in the Alpha/Beta? Cause I'm not :(

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    And we will likely be relying on leaked beta information for nearly everything as SE has always been very vague with what little information they release.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know if the PC people will be playing with the PS3 people on the same servers? They did that with XI right (PC/PS2/360) or am I imagining things?

Esh on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't think there has been any official answer to that but given that was one of the core things of XI (PS2, 360 and PC all shared servers and could play together), there's no reason to assume it won't be the case for XIV.

In fact SE would be shooting themselves in the foot to split them.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009

I agree. Simply the logistical issues alone speak almost overwhelmingly in keeping the servers merged.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I agree. Simply the logistical issues alone speak almost overwhelmingly in keeping the servers merged.

Yeah. I don't think there's any question that the different platforms will use the same servers. I think the more interesting question is if they'll use the same servers for every region, or if we're going to have region specific servers. Or maybe a mix of both, with people being able to choose for themselves. I can see advantages to doing things either way, so I'm not really sure which approach I'd like more.

Crazy Larry on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey as long as someone doesn't think that random server assignment then pay to switch to play with friends as soon as you get the game is a good idea I'm fine with whatever they want to do about servers

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey as long as someone doesn't think that random server assignment then pay to switch to play with friends as soon as you get the game is a good idea I'm fine with whatever they want to do about servers

Oh God, this! Please let us pick servers! That damn ticket was not cheap to get for your friends and then you were a somewhat higher level then them by the time you got em.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

As long as I can play with all the lovely people o_O from the Penny Arcade forums, I'm happy.

I miss playing MMOs (being in school), but I think I can handle a non-raid based one.

Esh on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Daemas wrote: »
    Lucedes wrote: »
    WHY ARE THE TARUTARU SO UGLY. Goddamn, Squeenix. You ruined my favorite race.

I'm decidedly neutral-feeling about the entire thing at this point in time, looking at the screenshots and the information available, and I am usually excited about Square products. It looks pretty, but not very... substantial? Am I missing something, here?

I get where you're coming from but I think you only really feel that way because they haven't released much information about the game. It is after all still at the internal alpha stage. I think we'll be seeing a lot more information hit the net as we get a little closer to beta.

The Taru are fucking adorable.

I think Lucedes is ugly.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah so, I hope we're all rolling the same LS when this shit gets out. I cannot wait.

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Arg I want to switch my beta application so that I'm applying for the PC version but apparently you can't do that.

If the PC beta starts before the PS3 one I'm gonna throw the biggest temper tantrum ever

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    DaemasDaemas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Arg I want to switch my beta application so that I'm applying for the PC version but apparently you can't do that.

If the PC beta starts before the PS3 one I'm gonna throw the biggest temper tantrum ever

it will Probably because of the fact that because the Japanese version of FFXIII comes with a PS3 beta code, I would assume that the English version would as well. This would give SE 2 months of PC beta time to get stuff a little polished before they see the massive influx of people who bought FFXIII and want to try out the free game they got with it.

EDIT: I'm sure you have more than one email address. Make another application from another computer or something.

Daemas on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the english beta application was only for the PC version at this time.

edit: evidence
    * The current tester recruitment is for the Windows version of the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test only. Details regarding recruitment for the PlayStation 3 version will be released at a later date.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the english beta application was only for the PC version at this time.

edit: evidence
    * The current tester recruitment is for the Windows version of the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test only. Details regarding recruitment for the PlayStation 3 version will be released at a later date.

I think there was a question regarding which system you would prefer to play it on, which might be throwing some people off.

And to the guy who asked if we were going to be having a guild, that was my plan, unless somehow my old FFXI LS gets together again, which is extraordinarily unlikely.

Crazy Larry on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, even though I selected that I would be playing it on PS3 I gave them all the info about my computer/video card. I signed up again just in case though.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, even though I selected that I would be playing it on PS3 I gave them all the info about my computer/video card. I signed up again just in case though.

bad idea, there is a "any multiple applications from the same ip address will invalidate all applications"

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

bad idea, there is a "any multiple applications from the same ip address will invalidate all applications"

I got a question about this. Does it go by my houses generalized IP or individual computer on that network? Like, what if my roommate and I both registered?

Topia on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Topia wrote: »

I got a question about this. Does it go by my houses generalized IP or individual computer on that network? Like, what if my roommate and I both registered?

It would go by your public IP, and most home connections only have one, so that would have nuked it.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited December 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ok, now I want pvp.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Healers don't get soothe hate boner until level 25 :(
    I do hope they change that in XIV.

edit: and by "soothe hate boner" i mean raise. That was some serious bullshit not having raise for 25 levels, probably the time you needed it most too, what with all the newbie party wiping going on.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I signed up from a different ip address...I feel kind of dirty but I blame everyone that isn't me

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Y'know what would be awesome, if buying the PS3 version gave you a digital license for the PC version as well. I just bought a PS3, but was planning on playing this on PC. I know for a fact I could get my GF to play this, but I'm a cheap bastard and don't want to have to buy a copy for both the PS3 and PC.

Make it happen Squeenix.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Squeenix and convenience don't mix. If they could get extra money from you every time you level up, they would.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well hey I currently play FFXI and getting re-raise is pretty easy with the Fields of Valour stuff

hopefully they'll actually have quests that give items and exp (more on par with WoW) in 14 :c

Hmm... While, as I said earlier, I hope they incentivize questing more than FFXI, I'm hoping they don't simply make quest rewards the primary source of whatever experience is going to be called and equipment. That just seems like it would encourage power leveling and a rush to max level. I for one hope to actually enjoy the trip to max level. Although I'm not extremely familiar with WoW, so maybe it does something to keep that in check.

Right now I'm thinking of a system where they determine experience points in the same general way as FFXI (because, let's not kid ourselves, experience will still be present in some shape or form) and give you an experience bonus for fights during quests. Toss in some moderate rewards at the end of the quest, and, presto, a system to encourages doing quests with an appropriate level group.

Crazy Larry on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well hey I currently play FFXI and getting re-raise is pretty easy with the Fields of Valour stuff

hopefully they'll actually have quests that give items and exp (more on par with WoW) in 14 :c

Hmm... While, as I said earlier, I hope they incentivize questing more than FFXI, I'm hoping they don't simply make quest rewards the primary source of whatever experience is going to be called and equipment. That just seems like it would encourage power leveling and a rush to max level. I for one hope to actually enjoy the trip to max level. Although I'm not extremely familiar with WoW, so maybe it does something to keep that in check.

Right now I'm thinking of a system where they determine experience points in the same general way as FFXI (because, let's not kid ourselves, experience will still be present in some shape or form) and give you an experience bonus for fights during quests. Toss in some moderate rewards at the end of the quest, and, presto, a system to encourages doing quests with an appropriate level group.

If FFXIV wants to exceed the popularity of FFXI, then they need to lower the amount of grinding that was in FFXI. Todays MMO player isn't going to want to stake out a camp and grind exp. they'll get bored and SE doesn't want that.

I guarantee quests will be a big part of levelling up and frankly, I'm more than okay with that.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

If FFXIV wants to exceed the popularity of FFXI, then they need to lower the amount of grinding that was in FFXI. Todays MMO player isn't going to want to stake out a camp and grind exp. they'll get bored and SE doesn't want that.

I guarantee quests will be a big part of levelling up and frankly, I'm more than okay with that.

And where in my post did I advocate camping and grinding xp? My whole post was about how I want them to make questing the primary focus of their leveling system. I just want them to do it in a way that encourages people to take on content at appropriate levels, instead of getting a high level friend to run them through it.

Crazy Larry on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

And where in my post did I advocate camping and grinding xp? My whole post was about how I want them to make questing the primary focus of their leveling system. I just want them to do it in a way that encourages people to take on content at appropriate levels, instead of getting a high level friend to run them through it.

Sorry man, I'm working on the phones and ended up misreading the first part of your post and the overall tone of it.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah I just realized pretty much none of my friend's will probably be playing this... Yay PA guild/LS?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It's cool. I just feel that a lot of the charm of FFXI came from it forcing the player base to be cooperative and work together, along with lots of varied, interesting content from low level through high (even if most people ignored a lot of it) and I feel pretty strongly about FFXIV retaining that.

Crazy Larry on
  • Options
    XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's cool. I just feel that a lot of the charm of FFXI came from it forcing the player base to be cooperative and work together, along with lots of varied, interesting content from low level through high (even if most people ignored a lot of it) and I feel pretty strongly about FFXIV retaining that.

Same. It just needs to be made easier. I'm looking forward to a vastly enhanced LFG/autoparty system.

Xhero on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    A editable UI wouldn't hurt either.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Hopefully not as editable as World of Warcraft's. That kind of GUI-altering power in a social game just creates a sort of competition on a level I'm not interested in engaging in.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Hopefully not as editable as World of Warcraft's. That kind of GUI-altering power in a social game just creates a sort of competition on a level I'm not interested in engaging in.

Limed for truth.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    In a weird way all the downtime encouraged socializing. I talked with partymembers about all sorts of crap while we were waiting for the next pull.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I think an editable UI would help with socializing in parties. I rarely had the opportunity to talk to anyone because my 8 line chat box that was used for every single thing in the game was too filled with combat data for me to use it for anything else while I was fighting.

This is outside my static of course, we used vent.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    I think an editable UI would help with socializing in parties. I rarely had the opportunity to talk to anyone because my 8 line chat box that was used for every single thing in the game was too filled with combat data for me to use it for anything else while I was fighting.

This is outside my static of course, we used vent.

I dunno, you could edit down the clutter so that you had a pretty minimal amount of stuff going through. I think I ran with nothing but the stuff directly affecting me and enemy specials popping up in my chat box, letting me converse freely with my party or LS, or both. I almost feel like I'd be distracted if they split the chat box from the system info honestly.

Crazy Larry on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, unfortunately I played Red Mage and without things like status display on allies or enemies I had to rely on the chat box for all my updates. Buff wearing off or being over writen, debuffs wearing or being casted over with a high version, abilities I had to stun, debuffs I had to cure, magic bursts, etc.

TheStig on
This discussion has been closed.